• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[RUMOR] Destiny 2. No co-op campaign. Missions can only be re-played as a fireteam.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GlamFM

Banned
Ok this one is weird and possibly not thread worthy, but we now have two weirdly worded sources that point to this very disappointing possibility.

This IGN video where that say right at the beginning that the campaign was designed for solo players although it can be replayed as a fireteam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhREZNJWZqc

Second source it the leaked guide and this -spoilerfree- line:

This single player set of story missions is the key to unlocking all of the different regions in the solar system. Complete the campaign, and you can return to Ikora to "meditate" and play through these missions again, with a fireteam if you so desire. This unlocks Tokens and Reputation with her so you can purchase her equipment.

Thoughts?

Luke?

Alexious

I don't see what's wrong with this. Honestly, narrative heavy games almost always lose something when played cooperatively. This way, players will be able to enjoy the plot the first time around and then replay the missions with friends if they want to.

Ein Bear

Wait, what? This absolutely kills the game for me if true. It can't be the case, can it? Co-Op is the entire point of Destiny.

Valkyria

Banned
I doubt it. Maybe there is a mode for fireteams ala extra challenge, but I'm sure that you can joing people on story missions. Maybe not the one in the beta because of being the opening, but I'm pretty sure almost any other.

Hyun Sai

Well, this won't really affect me, but what happens when someone who did not play the campaign solo is joining someone who already finished it and thus can invite him (not sure if he can though) ?

Mik2121

I only planned on buying Destiny 2 to play with friends since I'm not into PvP so if this is true (doubt it) then I'm probably out.

It would be really weird though, and until they say so I just will assume there is.

Edit: Having to do one play through first solo still blows but if after that I can play with friends...

grimmiq

Pretty lame, but doesn't worry me personally, I was planning on going through the story solo so I can go at my own pace. But I understand people wanting to do it together/as a group.

Well, that's a weird and disappointing way of implementing co-op. I hope this is just a translation error and fireteam co-op is available from the start.

Alexious

It's supposed to be a co-op game. Going through the story and leveling with your friends is like, the whole point of this game.

The co-op part is not for the story, but everything else. And you certainly don't level only with the story missions.

Fbh

Was going to wait for a price drop but if this is true I might not even bother getting it.

I don't see what's wrong with this. Honestly, narrative heavy games almost always lose something when played cooperatively. This way, players will be able to enjoy the plot the first time around and then replay the missions with friends if they want to.

Or... You know, they could let me decide if I value playing with friends more than the plot of destiny and add the choice to play it in coop from the beginning?.

Nothing stopping you from playing it alone.

It's supposed to be a co-op game. Going through the story and leveling with your friends is like, the whole point of this game.

I agree that it would suck, but you will be playing the game for 1000 hours in the long run... the main story is what? 6? 8?

Edit: you most likely wont be max level by the end of the story, let alone max light.

Didn't the first mission in the beta have you pop in with random folks doing the same mission only at a certain section? Maybe that's what they're going for. Rather have it like it was in D1, but whatevs.

This is a red flag for me. I was selling a couple games I'm finished with to fund Destiny 2 because my friend has been BEGGING me to grab it (we played a fuckton of Destiny together but I burned out and just don't have the time to dedicate to a game like that anymore). But this could be a deal breaker.

Santiako

I was planning on going through the story solo first so it doesn't affect me, but this is a weird choice anyway.

So, you can still play the campaign with friends after finishing it? Or am I missing something? I get that it may be irritating to run through it once but if the above is true then it's a far cry from "no co-op campaign", it basically just adds a level select.

Jimmy_liv

Was going to wait for a price drop but if this is true I might not even bother getting it.

Or... You know, they could let me decide if I value playing with friends more than the plot of destiny and add the choice to play it in coop from the beginning?.

I'm stopping persona 5 to play this with mates and I don't see why they force us to play a coop game alone. Seems to be getting g a worse idea with every passing moment

Alexious

Yes, but as others have said, you're frankly looking at the wrong game in the first place if story campaign not being cooperative puts you off the purchase.
Destiny has always been about open world (in this sequel even more so), replayable PvE (Strikes and Raids) and PvP. These activities occupy hundreds if not thousands of hours, while the story is a marginal experience by comparison.

Jakabok

Nuts if true. The co-op campaign in Destiny 1 was the meat of the game for me and my friends. Experiencing the story and levelling up alongside them (and boasting about weapon drops) was amazing, would be crazy for them to limit this to replays only.

Are you kidding me? This would completely ruin the game for anyone playing with friends at the same time.

Holy shit. I hope this isn't true, what kind of garbage is this.

UberLevi

I believe the story missions unlock features as you play (since Destiny 2 focuses on reclaiming what has been lost), so the nature of the narrative requires that you complete a run through story mode before you have access to things like fireteams. Once you've done the preliminary run through campaign though, you can new game plus it with friends. Doesn't seem like much of a dealbreaker since you get the ability to replay with a fireteam later and playing a campaign by yourself isn't an absurd concept.

Trakan

The ๖ۜBronx;247766978 said:
So, you can still play the campaign with friends after finishing it? Or am I missing something? I get that it may be irritating to run through it once but if the above is true then it's a far cry from "no co-op campaign", it basically just adds a level select.

Destiny is not a narrative heavy series. The whole point is playing through coop with friends. The game is not fun solo. The difference is night and day.

Alexious

Destiny is not a narrative heavy series. The whole point is playing through coop with friends. The game is not fun solo. The difference is night and day.

You're contradicting yourself here. Of course it's not a narrative heavy series, though they are apparently focusing on that more in Destiny 2.
Precisely because the story is a very brief experience compared to the rest of PvE and PvP, this shouldn't really be a big deal.

geordiemp

Anybody who posts that campaign coop first run is the main reason for playing Destiny are not really Destiny players anyway.

Strikes, nightfall, Raid, iron Banner, open world events,Trials is Destiny for most.

I honestly think these people don't have gaming friends or something, it's completely ridiculous.

Playing through the campaign for the first time, discovering everything new with your buddies and talking about the story as it unfolds. That was the point of Destiny for many players.

They better clear this up asap.

Meguro

Banned
This is staggeringly stupid which would make this decision fit in with everything Bungie has done with Destiny.

So in order to replay the missions, you have to go through Ikora each time?...

Thats even worse to me than the lack of coop the first time through.

Pooya

The mission in the beta clearly looked like it was made for one player, cutscenes included. If the rest is the same, then yeah..

It's probably like 3-4 hours anyway, I'm not expecting much.

Theorry

Werent some first missions of D1 also only solo and then it opened for coop?
Probably the same thing here. With how the story is and you first need to find your light again.

Anybody who posts that campaign coop first run is the main reason for playing Destiny are not really Destiny players anyway.

Strikes, nightfall, Raid, iron Banner, open world events,Trials is Destiny for most.

God damn, what's up with these borderline gamefaqs tier post? So because people enjoy the game for different reasons, they're not really Destiny players?

Some of you are deluded.

Marvel

could never
I'll just crosspost what I said in DGAF,

I hope it's just for the Homecoming mission but missions after that are full co-op.

Sygma

Well since pretty much everything else can be played in Co op I'm fine. They ll probably do something Division like with hard mode missions unlocked when you re done going through the story

Boo, I don't care about the storyline but I do wanna play with my friends while I'm stuck in low-level clown suit hell. I don't wanna play however many hours of boring story mode alone just to get to what I actually bought the game for.

Fbh

Yes, but as others have said, you're frankly looking at the wrong game in the first place if story campaign not being cooperative puts you off the purchase.
Destiny has always been about open world (in this sequel even more so), replayable PvE (Strikes and Raids) and PvP. These activities occupy hundreds if not thousands of hours, while the story is a marginal experience by comparison.

How about I get the game for the reasons I want ?.

If people want to replay the same missions for 500 hours to farm for weapons and gear then that's fine.
I'm ok with spending $40 on this game (once there is a price drop or sale) for a cool 8-10 hours campaign and PVP multiplayer.

It just comes across as a stupid design choice. If they decided to make the story single player only that would be one thing. But since a way to play it with others is in the game already i t's really fucking stupid to not give that option from the start.

I don't even know why it bothers you. There is literally nothing stopping you from playing the story alone. You are arguing against offering more options.

You know what, I'm fine with this personally because this is how I wanted to play my initial playthrough

However It sucks for those who didn't care for the story at all and wanted to just run through it with friends before moving to focus on other parts of the game.

Edit: The only thing I can see is this was supposed to be a single player campaign for story purposes. It just so happens that allowing to co-op after gives it more replay-ability? If that's the case the should make the co-op mode slightly different and/or harder.

(I'm just talking out loud now)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom