• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumor] Domain name dispute could further hint a Xbox Tablet ? + Xbox8, XboxPhone

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
We already know the rumors indicating that the future xbox could release with a tablet. Here's a new development, about some domain name dispute including xboxtablet.com, xbox8.org and xboxphone.com, owned by an individual for the moment

Who knows what the future holds for the Xbox, but a recent complaint (Case Number: 1445083) filed with the National Arbitration Forum (NAF), may hint at things to come down the road.

The domain dispute appeared on NAF’s website today and includes xbox8.org, xboxcompanion.com, xboxlivetv.com, xboxphone.com, and xboxtablet.com.

All of the names are owned by a resident of China who goes by the name “cheng juan”.

According to UDRP rules, if more than one domain being disputed is held by the same respondent, all of the names may be included in the same complaint. Rule 3(b)(vi).

At the time of this story, xbox8.org resolves to a Go Daddy parked page, xboxcompanion.com, xboxtablet.com and xboxlivetv.com are listed for sale, and xboxphone.com redirects visitors to a different site.

Microsoft released an Xbox Companion app for Windows Phone users in late 2011.

It’s also been rumored Xbox Live would be coming to other platforms.

Microsoft Corporation has won many of its disputes including two disputes that helped take down fake Halo 4 beta websites.

I wouldn’t expect the outcome in this case to be any different.
Source

Of course, this kind of affair happens really often, without having the expected product release inevitably after, it could be just a matter of securing important domain name.

Here's the site where you can check the case, commenced the 22 may

And what it shows:

1445083 xbox8.org, xboxcompanion.com, xboxlivetv.com, xboxphone.com, xboxtablet.com - UDRP 05/22/2012 Pending

So your thoughts about this ?

- Just classic trademarks move, and Microsoft won't release something like that ?
- A xbox software suite that will be available for tablets and phones running on Windows 8 ? Building an "Xbox ecosystem" for different equipments ?
- A next gen "Xbox 8" featuring a tablet controller ? If this is the case, how do you feel about it, in regard to Wii U ? A rip off from Nintendo, again, or the natural evolution of the control schemes, seeing the big trend of mobile, tablet devices, and games dedicated to those ?

I think a streamlining, a sort of standardization, of the next generation home systems controllers, could be interesting, with developers more incline to take advantage of what it bring to the table, rather than treating it like an "exotic" feature just available on one platform of the three, hence more or less ignored or used in a lazy manner, like we saw for some studios for this generation.

Microsoft is gonna pull a 360 again and skip numbers all the way up to Xbox 8. Then they'll clearly be the superior next gen console because their number is bigger.

On a more serious note, this is an interesting little bit of info... It'll be intriguing to see if Sony and Microsoft also bring out tablet gaming consoles of their own. I guess that'd lead to ports for everyone, but I feel it'd get kinda boring having every console with the same "gimmick" (for lack of a better term..).

I personally think it'd be a great idea by MS to leverage the Xbox name to push Windows Phone and Windows 8.

Face it, the Windows moniker is poison; I tell people Windows Phone is cool and they should check it out and they cower in fear.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
There's no way I can think of this that doesn't sound really dumb to me, even for Microsoft. Perhaps the least so is just the extension of the idea of being able to use non-game apps and do things like check your profile on mobile devices. If its an actual tablet controller for the nextbox then it just looks like they're ripping off Nintendo, which is a shame after what they did with Kinect.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Of course, this kind of affair happens really often, without having the expected product release inevitably after, it could be just a matter of securing important domain name.

I think it's more likely this is the case than anything else. Pretty much any domain name with 'xbox' in it would be vulnerable to these kinds of challenges.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
There's no way I can think of this that doesn't sound really dumb to me, even for Microsoft. Perhaps the least so is just the extension of the idea of being able to use non-game apps and do things like check your profile on mobile devices. If its an actual tablet controller for the nextbox then it just looks like they're ripping off Nintendo, which is a shame after what they did with Kinect.

Yup, it could be a real, full fledged "xbox tablet", it could be a xbox "suite", a software, that you could use on future Windows 8 tablets, linking it to xbox services, some games, or it could be a simple matter of securing domain name.

ToxicAdam

I would get a huge kick out of this happening after reading so many 'hardcore' gamers decry the Ipad as the gaming ghetto.

slit

They're probably just nervous and have contingency plans in case Nintendo has another runaway hit.

Shai-Tan

Banned
um, they are protecting their trademark, it has xbox in the domain name, they've got xbox live applications on tablet devices (ios for now). stupid thread

I personally think it'd be a great idea by MS to leverage the Xbox name to push Windows Phone and Windows 8.

Face it, the Windows moniker is poison; I tell people Windows Phone is cool and they should check it out and they cower in fear.

pretty much this. Integrate across all MS platforms.

rdrr gnr

Microsoft is gonna pull a 360 again and skip numbers all the way up to Xbox 8. Then they'll clearly be the superior next gen console because their number is bigger.
I know for most of GAF and fairly educated people, the concept of bigger number = better seems ridiculous, but you be disheartened by how true that really holds for almost every scenario imaginable. Does it determine success or failure? No. Does it matter? Absolutely.

BD1

Banned

I agree with you. I think "XBox" as a brand name is less about video games and more about connected digital devices. If Microsoft releases a xbox tablet, I think it will be an actual tablet for travel outside the house that also syncs with Next Box.

Xbox 8 will not happen. While it can boost sales at first, it'll sound dated by the time Windows Phone 9 or Windows 9 (and or above) arrive.

Xbox 8 will not happen.

BigDug13

From my experience people just laugh at Windows Phone or shake their head. GAF is honestly the only place where I've met (sane) people drool over it and show some excitement, not enough for me to check it out yet, mind you.

I'm not sure using the Xbox brand would help though. I think they'd be better off trying to find some unique (and unified) approach to the smartphone/tablet market, if they feel they need to use the Xbox brand for that, it's fine with me, but again I doubt it'd be too helpful (since "real" gaming still carries a stigmata).

Kinda like how people stopped buying cars named "Oldsmobile", I think people feel like that with Windows. People live with it in a PC environment, but it's not a name people are clamoring for. They would have had better market presence calling their phone Xbox Phone than Windows Phone.

gamecube was going to be starcube

starcube vs xbox
a star is like an x
a cube is another word for a box

Microsoft wanted to create brand confusion.

xbox controller very similar to the gamecube controller in terms of general layout and button types (although it had extra face buttons)

wii was going to be called 'revolution'

revolution vs 360
a 360 degree movement is the same as a revolution

Again, Microsoft wanted to create brand confusion.

wiimote vs kinect
microsoft blatently copying, making 'casual' games. Imitating Miis and so on.

Microsoft's whole idea of getting into the game business was to take a piece of the pie. They didn't need to dominate, they didn't need to make profit, they just wanted to reduce the marketshare of the other players so that they wouldn't get a foothold that might challenge Microsoft in other areas.

So it's pretty consistent with Microsoft's strategy to try and copy the Wii U. In fact, I'm surprised Nintendo showed the Wii U so far ahead of time, giving Microsoft plenty of time to copy it.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
If the future Xbox really have a tablet, it will be interesting to see the effects of a standardization of such controller for next gen, it could have positive consequences for us, gamers, by pushing third-parties studios to find ambitious and interesting use of its features, then available to all their titles versions.

RooMHM

Once again Nintendo has the ideas and the others just copy? This is getting tiring seriously, especially when Nintendo's ideas are not so good after all...

elcranky

Banned
gamecube was going to be starcube

starcube vs xbox
a star is like an x
a cube is another word for a box

Microsoft wanted to create brand confusion.

xbox controller very similar to the gamecube controller in terms of general layout and button types (although it had extra face buttons)

wii was going to be called 'revolution'

revolution vs 360
a 360 degree movement is the same as a revolution

Again, Microsoft wanted to create brand confusion.

wiimote vs kinect
microsoft blatently copying, making 'casual' games. Imitating Miis and so on.

Microsoft's whole idea of getting into the game business was to take a piece of the pie. They didn't need to dominate, they didn't need to make profit, they just wanted to reduce the marketshare of the other players so that they wouldn't get a foothold that might challenge Microsoft in other areas.

So it's pretty consistent with Microsoft's strategy to try and copy the Wii U. In fact, I'm surprised Nintendo showed the Wii U so far ahead of time, giving Microsoft plenty of time to copy it.

LOL, oh absurdities.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Once again Nintendo has the ideas and the others just copy? This is getting tiring seriously, especially when Nintendo's ideas are not so good after all...

But this could be a natural evolution of gaming controller, when we witness all the buzz, the dynamism, around tablet and other mobile devices in this industry. I guess Microsoft & Sony have considered such method of input before the Wii U reveal.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Idea Man's first thread!

I feel like a proud parent :'}

anyways, I still say this rumor is dubious at best. I expect kinect 2.0 out of MS, not a tablet controller.

But this could be a natural evolution of gaming controller, when we witness all the buzz, the dynamism, around tablet and other mobile devices in this industry. I guess Microsoft & Sony have considered such method of input before the Wii U reveal.

I really starting to believe Nintendo showed the controller last year just to try to get Microsoft and Sony to follow suit.

Why show your "biggest selling point" and then keep quiet for a year? Theres still one bigger secret that propably has to do with the WiiU OS. Something that tops the controller.

But with Microsoft and Sony going with a Tablet controller aswell its easier to convince 3rd partys to port their games.

And in case you havent noticed it... This post consists purely of speculation

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Idea Man's first thread!

I feel like a proud parent :'}

anyways, I still say this rumor is dubious at best. I expect kinect 2.0 out of MS, not a tablet controller.

lol

Or they are considering some sort of interaction between future windows 8 tablet, and the next gen xbox, with a software suite allowing to access some xbox content on it, and tying it to the home system. Well, i think this scenario is a given.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
lol

Or they are considering some sort of interaction between future windows 8 tablet, and the next gen xbox, with a software suite allowing to access some xbox content on it, and tying it to the home system. Well, i think this scenario is a given.

I think a window's 8 UI on the next box could work well on the kinect 2.0 as well especially if the camera is more responsive.

zeioIIDX

I really feel that if Sony or Microsoft come out with a "tablet" controller...they may play it safe by merely including a smaller screen on a more traditional controller instead of going full-blown "tablet with analog sticks" like the WiiU. I picture something in between the Dreamcast's VMU and the WiiU controller. Or they may wait to see how much people gobble up the WiiU's control scheme just like the Wii's motion controls before fully deciding whether it's worth it to include a screen in their next console's input device.

Izick

It has to have a tablet controller. Windows 8 is just too good of an opportunity to pass up, and then developers can use tablet features on both Wii U and Nextbox games. Plus, MS gets to see how the market reacts to the Wii U.

Seems like the easiest choice MS has ever had to make.

starmud

eh, im not really expecting a tablet "controller" like wiiu. i wish the wiiu controller could be more independent or operate like a tablet... maybe nintendo will surprise at e3 with controller only functionality. im still thinking wiiu is going to have its own challenges with the "tablet" controller. i can see people buying it and finding out whats really possible with the device... and a bigger backlash than kindle fire occurring. the marketing/messaging/apps will be interesting to see.

at the same time, for MS and the future of windows 8 tablets, im just thinking of the xbox/live platform being merged. they have the gaming side to build into tablets/phones. im expecting that in full fledged tablets though, not a device aimed at just being a controller to accompany an xbox.

if you see any functionality of tablet to console based/large screen gaming, an idea of using the tablet in tandem with a tv. as an additional way of control or cross play. a syncing game environment, from tablet to tv when you wish.

as far as tablet competition goes, an xbox branded, full fledged tablet is one of the strongest knives they have to play. especially given how much time and attention is given to gaming on the platform... i expect such a product will be built as its own device. not a console add on.

while i love my iOS devices, a xbox gaming tablet... with nook and my fave music/video apps. depending on what the marketplace will be like, give it to me! lol

as for a touch screen controller for the next xbox, kinect can work with the experience. actually i can see it working better given your dealing with a large interface, the tv. do you really need a small touch screen controller? given where apple (may) be going with interface and tv... im not sure if thats something MS will travel into.

ideally you'd already have a windows 8 tablet/phone which could work with the tv as another form of interface.

and even if they do, its going to be a very different idea versus nintendo. which is focused on using a touch screen controller for gameplay experience. microsoft has a larger net to cast.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
I really feel that if Sony or Microsoft come out with a "tablet" controller...they may play it safe by merely including a smaller screen on a more traditional controller instead of going full-blown "tablet with analog sticks" like the WiiU. I picture something in between the Dreamcast's VMU and the WiiU controller. Or they may wait to see how much people gobble up the WiiU's control scheme just like the Wii's motion controls before fully deciding whether it's worth it to include a screen in their next console's input device.

So the XboxPhone with its 3.5" touchscreen will be the XboxTablet for the Xbox 8 then ? :D

I don't see Microsoft including a tablet controller with the next Xbox but allowing windows 8 tablets to act as a controller for it is bound to happen

Probably nothing to do with Xbox8's - rumored - controller but anyways, I bumped into this MICROSOFT tablet w/stylus design patent over at OHIM, filed at 08/06/2007. (source)

untitledb3dif.png

What is it? Is it even gaming-related?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I would get a huge kick out of this happening after reading so many 'hardcore' gamers decry the Ipad as the gaming ghetto.
Not the same. Buttons make all the difference. Not to mention higher budget titles.

Edit : Also, I personally love the idea of tablet controllers. The Wii U controller looks good, but I have some concerns. I'd love to see Microsoft's take on the concept.

Zoe

Probably nothing to do with Xbox8's - rumored - controller but anyways, I bumped into this MICROSOFT tablet w/stylus design patent over at OHIM, filed at 08/06/2007. (source)

untitledb3dif.png

What is it? Is it even gaming-related?

Tablets hadn't taken off back then. Looks like an attempt at a tablet geared for people on the move (technicians) with ergonomic handles.

Top Bottom