• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Downloadable Expansion To Marvel vs Capcom 3 Possibly Coming [Sven/Seth: No.]

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
And people wonder why I didn't buy Super Alpha vs Beta 3: Fate of Rereleasing the Same Damn Game Another Nine Months Later.

And then they wondered why I didn't buy Street vs Juggleken.

You see this? This is why.

Call me when you stop doing re-releases/balance patches as $60 a pop "expansions," Crapcom.

Then if the rumor is true you can patch it when it comes out.

Why is this so terrible?

Because AE forced you to buy 4 new characters if you want both the balance patch and the continuation to play online with other people who bought the DLC.

If they implement this like they did Jill and Shuma, then this imaginary deal will actually be pretty good cost wise.

I think the more iterations/expansions of a title you get, the more likely you are to lose people. This is kinda how the fighting genre died in the first place. Way too many fighting games coming out way too close to each other with not enough difference for the mainstream audience to care.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Because AE forced you to buy 4 new characters if you want both the balance patch and the continuation to play online with other people who bought the DLC.
It all came together as an expansion that worked with your original disc, and compatability was kept. You just couldn't play AE-mode with AE people unless you had it yourself, but AE people could play you in Super-mode.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Will there be an Ultimate Dragon's Dogma? I need a flow chart of when it's safe to buy a Capcom game.

Skilletor

I must be completely out of touch with this forum at this point. They hint at 8 more characters for $15 or whatever and everyone's outraged, regrets buying the game in the first place etc. WTF? The only way any of this makes sense, is if you're all buying games, not playing them, then a better, cheaper version comes along and the one sitting on your shelf doesn't look as cool anymore. Vanilla MvC3 is still an awesome game, it has the DHC glitch which is fun, better versions of Tronne, Phoenix, etc, there's nothing wrong with playing an "outdated" fighting game. It's still fun to play Vanilla SF4 with Sagat vs Akuma. Still fun to play Xmen vs Street Fighter even though MvC2 exists. This place is starting to go a bit crazy with the whole anything Capcom does is evil nonsense.

Yeah. Totally don't understand the hate. It's like people are doing it just to do it now. /shrug

This looks totally fake. I hope it's true. I would be there first day.

And people wonder why I didn't buy Super Alpha vs Beta 3: Fate of Rereleasing the Same Damn Game Another Nine Months Later.

And then they wondered why I didn't buy Street vs Juggleken.

Call me when you stop doing re-releases/balance patches as $60 a pop "expansions," Crapcom.

You see this? This is a post that's just making shit up. Sounds like you really don't care about fighters if you think UMvC3 was the same game. SF4 was never 60 bucks, even if you put in the AE expansion.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I want anyone who says they're either glad they didn't buy UMvC3 or regret buying UMvC3 while acknowledging the rumor in question is for a downloadable update to UMvC3 to justify such a position.

Because you and I both know Capcom will pull an Arcade Edition and re-release the update on disc. It'll either be $15 (on top of a $40-60 blu-ray), or $40-60 for the whole shebang.

AND THEN CAPCOM RE-RELEASES ANOTHER UPDATE nine months later for yet another $15-60 a pop.

Oh, and let's not mention that they charged $60 for the beta with no spectator mode or Jill included out of box or new characters being added or DHC being fixed or...

This yearly re-release "balance" updates in the year 2012 is ludicrous and why I am completely out of the fighting game genre.

Wonko_C

Please be true and please put Megaman X (Preferably with Takahiro Sakurai as his voice), the rest of the characters can be whoever they want.

EDIT: People buy FIFA every year, I buy fighters every year. What's the problem?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Because you and I both know Capcom will pull an Arcade Edition and re-release the update on disc. It'll either be $15 (on top of a $40-60 blu-ray), or $40-60 for the whole shebang.
Why is this a problem? People who don't already have the game don't have to bother with DLC, while people who DO already have the game don't need to buy a new disc.

This yearly re-release "balance" updates in the year 2012 is ludicrous and why I am completely out of the fighting game genre.
In other words, you hate supported fighting games and want them dead and neglected like they used to be.

Skilletor

AND THEN CAPCOM RE-RELEASES ANOTHER UPDATE nine months later for yet another $15-60 a pop.

Oh, and let's not mention that they charged $60 for the beta with no spectator mode or Jill included out of box or new characters being added or DHC being fixed or...

Because you only play capcom fighting games?

It sounds like you don't play them at all, because these are silly complaints, imo.

OMG, they keep releasing things I enjoy playing! CRAPCOM SUCKS!

V_Arnold

See you around. Close to the door behind you, please.

I sometimes wonder why so many people pretend to be truly interested in buying UMVC3 now and be enraged about this. This expansion -if true- is obviously meant for the players who keep playing it. And chances are, those who DO play UMVC3 still have an average of 500+ hours in the game already. Which is 20-25 times more than what you get compared to ANY AAA+ game for 60$. Which is still more expensive compared to what you are paying for UMVC3 (39.99) plus the DLC (15). Ridiculous.

I think some of the outrage comes out of bad timing. With SFxT getting flak for its online implementation and having the character DLC content complete already on the disc but held off as something you pay for months down the line, which is pretty irritating.

If this rumour turns out true then it's going to be an update for current UMVC3 owners, so it's not really the same as the SF4 > SSF4 or MVC3 > UMVC3 bullshit. You don't have to rebuy the game. I guess some people just don't want any kind of update.

wouldn't that mean UMVC3 is out of print now? cause that's what happened with MVC2...not too many copies printed and they dried up.

Well one thing I will say is that considering this game came out in November it still retails for a similar price in the uk. Normally, most games have a 20-30% reduction within 3 months, especially online.

Its also very hard to get a copy from brick and mortar stores. This might not mean anything but it could also mean that the game is in short supply because the licensing deal dried up soon after release.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I think some of the outrage comes out of bad timing. With SFxT getting flak for its online implementation and having the character DLC content complete already on the disc but held off as something you pay for months down the line, which is pretty irritating.
Yeah, I understand that. Capcom has been up to serious bullshit lately, but the rumor has them doing something right for a change and people go hysterical about it.

It all came together as an expansion that worked with your original disc, and compatability was kept. You just couldn't play AE-mode with AE people unless you had it yourself, but AE people could play you in Super-mode.

Why not ?

Why can't I play against Yuns and Evil Ryus but not play as them online ?

Super felt like a true expansion (10 new char, new ultras, new online mode, bouns modes...etc) so I didn't' mind when I got it, but 4 new characters and a balance patch is not. I think they should do it the same they would in the UFC/WWE or racing games, you can still play in the same online pool as people with the dlc content but you obviously can't play the dlc content yourself. If they continue doing it they way the did with SF4 they will just keep shrinking and shrinking the online player base which is very important in almost any videogame these days.

krazen

Doesn't this kill the argument for the very short period between vanilla and Ultimate? Wasn't the reason they gave was a very tight release schedule?

Long term I don't think people would have minded waiting the year and a half for a definitive version from vanilla as opposed to one that was already inferior a couple of months later (talking vita).

I think I finally realized why I hate that what Capcom turned into this gen. The hardcore kept their fighting brand alive for ten years while they released nothing and as a hype base the FGC helped push SF4 back into the consciousness of the mainstream gamer. Now that they've arrived, they are just going to milk that same group as if they are disposable fucktards and not their core fanbase.

It's like a high school nerd who's been pining/helping/cheering on the hottest person at school and finally hooks up with them at the High School reunion...and they proceed to use the relationship to have em strictly buy them shit, lol

This looks like a 'good' expansion on paper, but it's not really; from Vanilla they've had you buy two versions of the game along the way when we could have just skipped to this one. Just because they overloaded the extras here doesn't negate the fact you've paid $80 bucks along the way.

What's great is that if the general populous stop buying the first version of games, Capcom will not support it or make more games concerning that IP stating that the fans didn't support it. Hilarious.

Skilletor

Why not ?

Why can't I play against Yuns and Evil Ryus but not play as them online ?

Super felt like a true expansion (10 new char, new ultras, new online mode, bouns modes...etc) so I didn't' mind when I got it, but 4 new characters and a balance patch is not. I think they should do it the same they would in the UFC/WWE or racing games, you can still play in the same online pool as people with the dlc content but you obviously can't play the dlc content yourself. If they continue doing it they way the did with SF4 they will just keep shrinking and shrinking the online player base which is very important in almost any videogame these days.

Because you didn't buy the expansion? You can still play the game you purchased.

Regarding licensing, the Marvel game licenses are kinda like the Mongols. It really depends on what is going to happen in terms of Marvel-related games.

I'm not even entirely sure if, for instance, the Spider-Man license would be fully occupied by the people who make the Spider-Man movie game. Wouldn't that mean they have the license for the game to the movie, not for the entire universe?
Aside from that, there have been things that simply crossed up. For instance, while Capcom was doing MvC3 and UMvC3 (came out in November), there have been other Marvel games released, such as Edge of Time (came out in October), or the Super Squad-related games. So I doubt that Capcom was actually occupying the license for their release.

I mean, why would Marvel pass the license out only one at a time, if the games are vastly different from each other? Or even pass the license out one at a time generally - they can do whatever they want with their products, after all.

And, additionally to that, it's obvious they released UMvC3 last year in order to make room for SFxT.

V_Arnold

Yeah, I understand that. Capcom has been up to serious bullshit lately, but the rumor has them doing something right for a change and people go hysterical about it.

Some people are REALLY ready to pounce on Capcom for every chance they get. They KNOW that Capcom does this, they KNOW that every other company does this, they KNOW that those who are really playing the game regularly have no issues with this, but they still demand a release, then no release in that genre for 2+ years, otherwise....and what comes after the "otherwise..." part is what I am not sure about. What is the point in not expanding the possibilities with these games.

If one looks at the Fighting Games genre in the past 6 years, the mainstream games have improved so much, iterated so much that it is really amazing. SFxT, if it came without the sound glitch AND had an instant rematch option, would be the perfect FG experience in this generation. And it is still ignored for the sake of Capcpom, Crapcom, DLC-milking memes.

I think the people bitching want capcom to wait like 4 years to release a fighter in order to justify their purchase...or something.
Or they wish they held off releasing the game until all of these characters were in one package....

I don't own MvC anymore but if I were a fan, I'd love character packs released even this far after its initial release. Capcom and Marvel universes are so big, there's always room for more interesting characters and playstyles. A pack gets released in July, maybe another in November... I'd be cool with that.

Rumor? Denial is the most predictable of all human responses. But, rest assured, this will be the second time we have destroyed the fighting genre, and we have become exceedingly efficient at it.

:D

First thought that came to my mind was "yep, Capcom returning to their 90's ways..."

Skilletor

Or they wish they held off releasing the game until all of these characters were in one package....

I don't own MvC anymore but if I were a fan, I'd love character packs released even this far after its initial release. Capcom and Marvel universes are so big, there's always room for more interesting characters and playstyles. A pack gets released in July, maybe another in November... I'd be cool with that.

Good for them. Glad Capcom isn't doing that, else I would STILL be waiting for MvC3 to release. SF4 would have just come out last...december? lol.

Edit: Also, Capcom isn't ruining fighting games unless you only pay attention to Capcom. If you actually care about fighting games and not just bitching on forums about what capcom is doing, then you've had plenty to play before capcom's return, and plenty after they stop making games.

Steaks

I don't really disagree with this kind of DLC, and it really should have been how Ultimate was released. 15 dollars for 8 characters is a pretty reasonable deal and it allows companies to issue "mandatory" balance patches since everyone needs the characters to play online. Like, it's basically how all fighting game updates should be handled IMO. Gives everyone extra content, enables balance patches at intervals that allow the company to see how the balance has played out, renews interest in the game, the price is pretty reasonable (15 dollars per year where you get actual content...) Is really good IMO.

That said I think the way Ultimate was handled was terrible.

SFxT, if it came without the sound glitch AND had an instant rematch option, would be the perfect FG experience in this generation. And it is still ignored for the sake of Capcpom, Crapcom, DLC-milking memes.

Regarding SFxT - I'm mostly upset about 5 exclusive characters for Sony, none for Xbox, and well... 12 DLC characters locked on disc is quite ridiculous. I'm usually the very first to support on-disc DLC (saves time and harddrive space), but 12 characters? That's like... a third or so of the main roster. That's quite BS. Also the possibility of XBox users having to pay for 2 characters that are free on the PS-versions (Mega Man and Pac-Man, since they ARE on the XBox disc).

I didn't play the game yet, so I dunno about it gameplay-wise, but I know Capcom churns out high quality fighting games, and I wholeheartedly agree that those expansions are nothing to be sore about. People aren't complaining about the yearly re-releases of sports games like Madden or shooters like Call of Duty either, so why does it specifically have to be fighting games? Because they're more niche?

But AE wasn't an expansion, it was simply 4 new guys and they could've implemented it way better than what they ended up doing(online wise).

Wouldn't you agree that in fighting games, the most substantial gameplay mechanic are characters?
Example: Strategy games add new maps and factions to play as. Shooters add new maps, weapons and the likes. RPGs add new classes and items. Those are all significant to the gameplay of these genres. In fighting games, characters are the most significant thing. Therefore, adding 4 new characters does make a significant update for the game. Expansion is the perfect way to describe this. The balance patch that came with it was just another icing on the cake, and to be frank, was quite shitty anyway.

You didn't unlock those 4 guys, so you can't play as them. It's pretty obvious, don't you think? It's like you're complaining about not being able to listen to music after buying a car without radio and refusing to buy a radio. The AE players can play with the downgraded version - you just can't play with the updated version. It's handled perfectly well.

krazen

Some people are REALLY ready to pounce on Capcom for every chance they get. They KNOW that Capcom does this, they KNOW that every other company does this, they KNOW that those who are really playing the game regularly have no issues with this, but they still demand a release, then no release in that genre for 2+ years, otherwise....and what comes after the "otherwise..." part is what I am not sure about. What is the point in not expanding the possibilities with these games.

If one looks at the Fighting Games genre in the past 6 years, the mainstream games have improved so much, iterated so much that it is really amazing. SFxT, if it came without the sound glitch AND had an instant rematch option, would be the perfect FG experience in this generation. And it is still ignored for the sake of Capcpom, Crapcom, DLC-milking memes.

We shouldn't be overjoyed that developers for doing the basic things though. What's been frustrating about Capcom is that menu's, online functionality, etc...felt like a they were a generation behind. Some of it is because of the inherent problems in making something as precise as fighting games online...which is understandable. An instant rematch button? GTFO...that's like something they should have had day one. That's not because of the problems of online fighters, thats just bad design.

Floex

Continue to support a game after release so that it feels fresh is bad news now?

This time round the only complaint I see is if you want to take the new characters and play them on a friends system or tourney even then it's not really a huge issue. This kind of DLC I can get behind

Stuff you have to buy that is already on disc = bullshit
$5 per character = bullshit
$15 for 8 characters that has been worked on after a year after release = good

Because they might release a patch that will work with the disc you bought?

No, because I not a guy who like to buy DLC and I don't like to pay $60 for the game plus $XX for the DLC when there is a chance to have all the stuff on the disc later and probably at $40. That simple.

Skilletor

We don't even know if this is true yet. The source is vague as hell and the picture could easily be Photoshopped.

Yeah, this looks fake.

No, because I not a guy who like to buy DLC and I don't like to pay $60 for the game plus $XX for the DLC when there is a chance to have all the stuff on the disc later and probably at $40. That simple.

And that's exactly what this rumor states they're doing. What's the problem?

krazen

Regarding SFxT - I'm mostly upset about 5 exclusive characters for Sony, none for Xbox, and well... 12 DLC characters locked on disc is quite ridiculous. I'm usually the very first to support on-disc DLC (saves time and harddrive space), but 12 characters? That's like... a third or so of the main roster. That's quite BS. Also the possibility of XBox users having to pay for 2 characters that are free on the PS-versions (Mega Man and Pac-Man, since they ARE on the XBox disc).

I didn't play the game yet, so I dunno about it gameplay-wise, but I know Capcom churns out high quality fighting games, and I wholeheartedly agree that those expansions are nothing to be sore about. People aren't complaining about the yearly re-releases of sports games like Madden or shooters like Call of Duty either, so why does it specifically have to be fighting games? Because they're more niche?

People gripe there too. They buy em, but they gripe. Im just trying to understand the vocal pro-dlc contingent. And even with sports game the companies have somewhat of an excuse (as shitty as it is)...every year the teams change in fundamental ways and to keep current an update (be it a new disk or more rationally dlc) *HAS* to happen. If some of the products were a bit more polished out the gate, you wouldn't be forced to update it less then a year later (like the online in vanilla MVC3)

I don't really disagree with this kind of DLC, and it really should have been how Ultimate was released. 15 dollars for 8 characters is a pretty reasonable deal and it allows companies to issue "mandatory" balance patches since everyone needs the characters to play online. Like, it's basically how all fighting game updates should be handled IMO. Gives everyone extra content, enables balance patches at intervals that allow the company to see how the balance has played out, renews interest in the game, the price is pretty reasonable (15 dollars per year where you get actual content...) Is really good IMO.

That said I think the way Ultimate was handled was terrible.
All that needs to be said. The possibility of this being true should be something we rejoice about. It's the type of release and pricing strategy that they should have used from the start for the Mahvel games after they managed Street Fighter so well(yeah, AE balance was a mess, but the delivery was good). Eight characters for less than $20 is a steal.

Some people in this thread need to pick their battles more wisely.

Skilletor

People gripe there too. They buy em, but they gripe. Im just trying to understand the vocal pro-dlc contingent. And even with sports game the companies have somewhat of an excuse (as shitty as it is)...every year teams change sometimes in fundamental ways and to keep current an upgrade (be it a new disk or more rationally dlc) *HAS* to happen. If some of the products were a bit more polished out the gate, you wouldn't be forced to update it a year later (like the online in vanilla MVC3)

It's quite simple really. I enjoy playing capcom fighters. Capcom keeps providing me with more content. Since I enjoy playing, I buy the content.

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
Precisely why i didnt get Street Fighter X Tekken. There will be at least 2 more versions.

We don't even know if this is true yet. The source is vague as hell and the picture could easily be Photoshopped.

Possibly. But I do like humoring the possibility anyway. Although, given how much Capcom treated MvC3 as stepchild since its initial release, I'm not TOO hopeful.

Top Bottom