• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Downloadable Expansion To Marvel vs Capcom 3 Possibly Coming [Sven/Seth: No.]

I highly doubt it. Didn't Ultimate flop?

I'd be there Day 1, though. Capcom shouldn't be surprised when people stop buying their games on the first iteration.

Busaiku

Regarding SFxT - I'm mostly upset about 5 exclusive characters for Sony, none for Xbox, and well... 12 DLC characters locked on disc is quite ridiculous. I'm usually the very first to support on-disc DLC (saves time and harddrive space), but 12 characters? That's like... a third or so of the main roster. That's quite BS. Also the possibility of XBox users having to pay for 2 characters that are free on the PS-versions (Mega Man and Pac-Man, since they ARE on the XBox disc).

That's what moneyhats are for.

krazen

It's quite simple really. I enjoy playing capcom fighters. Capcom keeps providing me with more content. Since I enjoy playing, I buy the content.

Which is fine, understandable, and even the people hating on Capcom (me included) follow the same theory n real life, lol.

My issue is that at times it feels you don't get the bang for the buck you should. Which is fine; Capcom is providing me with a service and if I feel it's worth it Ill either buy or don't (and obviously I do since ive double dipped on all their fighting game releases). Imho it's just dangerously close to a subscription system, but without the benefits (rock *SOLID* online, minimal bugs, etc). Then ypu have the other aspect of us creeping around the 'pay to win' elephant in the room

Chaplain

If Capcom is going to continue milking games like they did with SF2 in the 1990's, they might as well make their fighting games free to play and just charge users for part of the roster.

Steaks

Which is fine, understandable, and even the people hating on Capcom (me included) follow the same theory n real life, lol.

My issue is that at times it feels you don't get the bang for the buck you should. Which is fine; Capcom is providing me with a service and if I feel it's worth it Ill either buy or don't (and obviously I do since ive double dipped on all their fighting game releases). Imho it's just dangerously close to a subscription system, but without the benefits (rock *SOLID* online, minimal bugs, etc).

Subscription systems usually cost way more. This is closer to older expansion systems.
If Capcom is going to continue milking games like they did with SF2 in the 1990's, they might as well make their fighting games free to play and just charge users for part of the roster.

In what way is 15 dollars for 8 characters milking? How is that in ANY way a bad deal from a consumer perspective?

krazen

Subscription systems usually cost way more. This is closer to older expansion systems.

I don't know if it's way more.

Figure we are a year into vanilla MVC3. If you've gotten everything, (ultimate, the main constume pack, the minor one) you've spent..$125?

Divide that up and it's cheaper then WOW is today, but not by a HUGE amount..ten dollars a month as opposed to fifteen

This, and lol @ "minimal bugs" regarding game subscriptions. ;)

Also, since we're at the topic, which game was it again that not only charges monthly subscription fees, but also forces the users to buy a base game, and yearly expansions for 60 dollars each? I think it was made by Blizzard and has to do with fantasy...

Talamius

I have no problems with 8 characters and an AE style balance patch for $15. That's the right way to do fighting game DLC.

That said, Wesker needs more buffs and Hsien-Ko is way too strong.
:)

Steaks

I don't know if it's way more.

Figure we are a year into vanilla MVC3. If you've gotten everything, (ultimate, the main constume pack, the minor one) you've spent..$125?

Divide that up and it's cheaper then WOW is today, but not by a HUGE amount

Yes, if you ignore the fact that you need to spend 100 dollars on the actual games themselves.

And again, I think UMVC3 was not a good deal, and should have been issued like this content was and that MVC3 should have had the features of Ultimate on release.

This however, is a fair deal.

I have no problems with 8 characters and an AE style balance patch for $15. Wesker needs more buffs and Hsien-Ko is way too strong.

This made me chuckle. Then shed a tear because it's true.

In what way is 15 dollars for 8 characters milking? How is that in ANY way a bad deal from a consumer perspective?

Well, we don't know if it would be 15 dollars, I'm not gonna cling to that pricing.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
UMVC3 announced as disc title: "NYEHHH IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN DLC"
Possible UMVC3 Dlc: "I CAN'T BELIEVE THEY'RE MAKING ANOTHER ONE"

For fucks sakes, it's like the people in the first couple of replies didn't even read the OP.... oh yeah that's right they didn't.

krazen

Yes, if you ignore the fact that you need to spend 100 dollars on the actual games themselves.

And again, I think UMVC3 was not a good deal, and should have been issued like this content was.

true.

But for Capcom's cheaper pricing they don't have to maintain huge server farms...im hoping in the alternate universe where im setting up this hypothetical situation they pass the savings down to us:)

I wave the white flag on this argument, lol.

V_Arnold

UMVC3 with all the system changes and the new online framework behind it was THE deal for MVC3, what actually sucked hard is simply the Vanilla MVC3. Not even comparable.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Vanilla MvC3 was an unfinished game, and UMvC3 was released as a full game way too soon. Either way you look at it, it was a fuckup.

Chaplain

Not the $15 part. I am talking about Capcom releasing the regular version, then the super version and now extra characters through DLC. A better way would be just release the regular version for free and charge for all extra characters and updates.

VariantX

So people get mad when ultimate comes out as a disc only upgrade a few months after the original comes out. Completely understandable. Rumor states that another upgrade is coming but it's going to actually be upgradeable from the disk itself as well as a full retail purchase. People still get mad. What? I could have sworn this is what people wanted them to do the first time around.

krazen

UMVC3 with all the system changes and the new online framework behind it was THE deal for MVC3, what actually sucked hard is simply the Vanilla MVC3. Not even comparable.

Of course.

That's the problem though...I personally didn't mind paying for those new characters because there was a bunch of them and they were all quality (sorry Shuma and Jill)...however the real selling points..the balancee of xfactor, the clearly superior online, etc...those are things I feel like we should have gotten for free...by them either putting the game in the oven a few months longer or just have patched it in.

Wouldn't you agree that in fighting games, the most substantial gameplay mechanic are characters?
Example: Strategy games add new maps and factions to play as. Shooters add new maps, weapons and the likes. RPGs add new classes and items. Those are all significant to the gameplay of these genres. In fighting games, characters are the most significant thing. Therefore, adding 4 new characters does make a significant update for the game. Expansion is the perfect way to describe this. The balance patch that came with it was just another icing on the cake, and to be frank, was quite shitty anyway.

You didn't unlock those 4 guys, so you can't play as them. It's pretty obvious, don't you think? It's like you're complaining about not being able to listen to music after buying a car without radio and refusing to buy a radio. The AE players can play with the downgraded version - you just can't play with the updated version. It's handled perfectly well.

I most definitely agree that characters are the most important thing in a fighting game, but wouldn't you agree to the same when it comes to UFC fighters or cars in a game like Need For Speed ? yet those games add new fighters/cars as dlc and yet they still let the online pool intact for the most part unlike Street Fighter 4 which now has 3 different versions to play online and that's where I disagree with capcom, not that I'm against further content to extended the game's life (already said if this true is true then it's value is way too good)

I disagree. It was absolutely an expansion, and the way they implemented it is fine.

Well I guess this is where we differ on the issue.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Eh, fuck it. I want the characters and this game has already given me hours upon hours of entertainment. Is it shitty business practice? Absolutely.

krazen

So people get mad when ultimate comes out as a disc only upgrade a few months after the original comes out. Completely understandable. Rumor states that another upgrade is coming but it's going to actually be upgradeable from the disk itself as well as a full retail purchase. People still get mad. What? I could have sworn this is what people wanted them to do the first time around.

We just feel like we just got forced with the double dip..why release Ultimate if you were going to improve on it not even a year later? We should have skipped straight to UMVC3X (lol at those letters) as opposed to making us drop $40 along the way:p

I most definitely agree that characters are the most important thing in a fighting game, but wouldn't you agree to the same when it comes to UFC fighters or cars in a game like Need For Speed ? yet those games add new fighters/cars as dlc and yet they still let the online pool intact for the most part unlike Street Fighter 4 which now has 3 different versions to play online and that's where I disagree with capcom, not that I'm against further content to extended the game's life (already said if this true is true then it's value is way too good)

But AE and SSF4 players CAN play with each other. AE owners just can't play AE with SSF4 players, but they play SSF4 with them. The only game that's left in the dust here is vanilla SF4.

Retail-releases are better than patches imo when talking about tournaments. That should however mean that when they release it, it shouldn't need to be patched. Release a different version a couple of years later.

krazen

But AE and SSF4 players CAN play with each other. AE owners just can't play AE with SSF4 players, but they play SSF4 with them. The only game that's left in the dust here is vanilla SF4.

That's the problem though. AE is just a balance patch with extra characters. Imagine if Modern Warfare Elite players/dlc buyers had to manually go into another screen and had to chose 'vanilla' MW to play with their friends.

The way it's structured now just puts an artificial wall up and makes the player pool smaller

That's my point though, it should've been a universal balance patch then 4 new greyed out character slots show up in the character select screen and whether you want to buy them or not is your choice but it shouldn't affect you online when playing against the dlc fighters.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
New version every nine months? This is getting ridiculous.

I thought UMVC3 was going to be the last one because of Marvel licensing stuff anyway.

I will be happy when they release it for PC.

They won't. The Marvel license is apparently different for PC games.

If this comes back, the hook was in place based on Nova's Alt alone. Plus the Avengers and Spiderman movie's need some support right?

That's my point though, it should've been a universal balance patch then 4 new greyed out character slots show up in the character select screen and whether you want to buy them or not is your choice but it shouldn't affect you online when playing against the dlc fighters.

OK, now I'm starting to grasp what you mean. You mean that the AE changes should've applied to SSFIV for free, but only the characters be exclusive paid content. Am I understanding you correctly here?

Then I can get behind your point, although I'm fine with how they actually handled it. It could've been worse.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member

Mostly because of the way Ultimate was rushed to meet the November release window. Niitsuma talked before about how he wanted to add those extra 8 for Ultimate but couldn't because of deadlines. Basically this is what Ultimate could and probably would have been in the first place. Other than that I don't have many problems with it.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Fuck Capcom, I won't have the self-control not to buy it (as cheap as possible on the net though).

GIMME VISION! GIMME ULTRON! GIMME MACHINE MAN! GIMME M-11! GIMME A GODDAMNED ROBOT!

This is good news if true, but I doubt it'll be that cheap. That's less than costume value pack which costs 1600 ($20); which leads me to believe it isn't.

Assuming it is true however, my wishlist that I posted earlier

Capcom

Demitri
Gene
Urien
Megaman

Marvel

Blade
Emma Frost
Venom
Dr Octopus

Fuck Capcom, I won't have the self-control not to buy it (as cheap as possible on the net though).

GIMME VISION! GIMME ULTRON! GIMME MACHINE MAN! GIMME M-11! GIMME A GODDAMNED ROBOT!

Sentinel is now sitting in a corner, crying oily tears while being comforted by his drones.
Though I did chuckle at M-11. Wow. What an obscure character. :D

But yes... fucking Ultron...
250px-Ultron_HD.jpg

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Retail-releases are better than patches imo when talking about tournaments. That should however mean that when they release it, it shouldn't need to be patched. Release a different version a couple of years later.
Regular tournament play puts more demands on the competitive balance of a game and exposes flaws much more rapidly. Even if that's not an issue, you might still need patches for glitches discovered after release that affect gameplay. Furthermore, you still have to worry about unlocks with certain games like Soul Calibur V and KOF 13. From a tournament organizer's perspective, while it would be easier to just put a disc into a random console, it's pretty much a moot point by now.

OK, now I'm starting to grasp what you mean. You mean that the AE changes should've applied to SSFIV for free, but only the characters be exclusive paid content. Am I understanding you correctly here?

Then I can get behind your point, although I'm fine with how they actually handled it. It could've been worse.

Yes, that's pretty much my point.

I realize a lot of people are ok with how capcom handled AE and I can understand that, I'm still hoping the situation will be better when(and if) it comes to UMVC3.

I still think this entire thing is fake though, simply on the absurd cost/value wise.

Angelcurio

Thanks God i passed on UMVC3 and SFxTK. I felt extremely ripped off after I bought the Collectors Edition of MVC3 and just a couple of months later they announced UMVC3, and with a release date in the same year. I'll wait for the inevitable UMVC3X AE 2013.

Thanks God i passed on UMVC3 and SFxTK. I felt extremely ripped off after I bought the Collectors Edition of MVC3 and just a couple of months later they announced UMVC3, and with a release date in the same year. I'll wait for the inevitable UMVC3X AE 2013.
I'm just wondering since the bolded gets brought up a lot, but what happens if this is the last iteration? Or what if they do release another one, but also iterate on that one again? When do you consider it "safe" to purchase?

Top Bottom