• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Downloadable Expansion To Marvel vs Capcom 3 Possibly Coming [Sven/Seth: No.]

I was going to make a big post in a thread, but I'll just toss my rambling 2c in on fighting game update/DLC/etc.

Bad:

Required disc update
Super
UMvC3
BBCSEX

Required DLC update
AE

Disc Locked Content
SFxTK

Non mandatory DLC data
MK9

Good:

Free balance updates, with a reasonable frequency (not as long as waiting for a new version, not too frequent)

New characters, stages, costumes, etc. as DLC, all created after the disc goes gold

Mandatory patches containing the data for new content, allowing it to be seen by everyone (but only selected by those who have paid)

The ability to buy individual pieces of content instead of an entire "version" of the game

A compilation GotY disc after all DLC has been created and released, at the time development start on the full sequel to the game (as big of a change as SF2->3)

Ideally: Two discs for a fighting game in the modern era, the initial one and the one that is optional and compiles all the DLC that you can get with the initial disc.

It seems like all the elements are there, spread out among all the fighting game releases this gen, and nobody has put them all together yet.

Foffy

Banned
You know, it's quite tragic that considering the shit Capcom's done in the past 2-3 years that when someone from the company says something, I feel as if I can't trust them anymore.

Don't Sven and Seth have history of lying about stuff? I know one of them lied about RE5's "DLC" that was on the disc when the game launched.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I still don't know what the problem with this hypothetical DLC is. Less than $2 per character.

But the funny part is there's a huge chance it isn't even real. Capcom redeemed?

If it isn't real Capcom will be redeemed.

Until everyone remembers Mega Man isn't in the game then goes back to whining for DLC.

dukemagus

Neo Member
Hafta agree with some people... IF that's true, it's a DLC made the right way

8 characters por US$ 15= less tha US$ 2 per char
The DLC is not on disc
You won't need to buy the game again.

of cource, i may have misinterpreted the whole thing...

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Also, what the hell would that image be doing on a GameStop computer anyways?

Every single angle of this rumour screams fake.

BiggNife

Let's look at it this way -

If this was in the Gamestop database, wouldn't anyone who works at a Gamestop be able to check this? And if it's real then why has only one person reported it?

As much as I kind of want this to be real it probably isn't.

Thores

If it was DLC and not just a new retail release, I would actually be pretty okay with it. I remember Nitsuma initially saying he had to cut 8 characters from his initial plans to get the game out on time, so this expansion would just be what UMvC3 should have been. And at least this would have been developed after UMvC3 went gold, so it's way less shady in my eyes than what Capcom's been doing with their fighters lately.

Foffy

Banned

PR hype train? It could allow GameStop to create those cardboard advertisements they get sometimes or something.

SmithnCo

No copyright info on the bottom seems suspect too? Or you'd think they'd have the MvC logo on there to make it clear what it is.

vg260

New characters, stages, costumes, etc. as DLC, all created after the disc goes gold

That's a fine ideal, but it's a completely unrealistic expectation. It makes all the sense in the world for a business to develop at least some of it alongside main production.

No copyright info on the bottom seems suspect too? Or you'd think they'd have the MvC logo on there to make it clear what it is.

Hm, maybe Gamestop started doing mockups?:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=466105

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

Yeah someone in this thread earlier mentioned how dubious the image is, with no Capcom logo, Marvel logo, or copyright info. It's a pretty poor photoshop.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Checked with gamestop workers. They checked their database and just confirmed that it don't exist in their database so people are trolling people whoever believe this rumors.

I was going to make a big post in a thread, but I'll just toss my rambling 2c in on fighting game update/DLC/etc.

Bad:

Required disc update
Super
UMvC3
BBCSEX

Required DLC update
AE

Disc Locked Content
SFxTK

Non mandatory DLC data
MK9

Good:

Free balance updates, with a reasonable frequency (not as long as waiting for a new version, not too frequent)

Mandatory patches containing the data for new content, allowing it to be seen by everyone (but only selected by those who have paid)

The ability to buy individual pieces of content instead of an entire "version" of the game

A compilation GotY disc after all DLC has been created and released, at the time development start on the full sequel to the game (as big of a change as SF2->3)

Ideally: Two discs for a fighting game in the modern era, the initial one and the one that is optional and compiles all the DLC that you can get with the initial disc.

It seems like all the elements are there, spread out among all the fighting game releases this gen, and nobody has put them all together yet.
This ought to be one of the first posts in every fighting game thread from now on. You forgot one thing though.

Good
-Time exclusive DLC or free DLC code to make up for on disc characters that were previous DLC.

Putting those characters on disc just makes things easier when going to tournaments or a friend's house. It's not all terrible.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
This ought to be one of the first posts in every fighting game thread from now on.

Not when the bad and the good contradict themselves in terms of the reality of how DLC works in the context of an online environment.

Pretty much all the possible solutions attempted by every publisher are bad according to that list, with no functional or realistic alternative.

Does Sven lie though? He's a goddamn VP, right? It's his job to please shareholders, not the community directly. I mean, the dude even said Darkstalkers news was coming a year ago.

The Okamiden/Ace Attorney Investigations incident is probably his most famous lie.

I get the feeling that he doesn't really enjoy his job, and just says shit to get people off his back, lies or not.

vg260

The Okamiden/Ace Attorney Investigations incident is probably his most famous lie.

I get the feeling that he doesn't really enjoy his job, and just says shit to get people off his back, lies or not.

It's just that he knows way more than he is allowed to talk or even hint about. What can you say when getting grilled by fans all the time looking to break you for information? If they get something out before its planned, he's all over the net for leaking and ruining plans. That part I'm sure is frustrating. Sometimes you gotta dodge the truth in those situations. Parents technically "lie" to their kids all the time about Santa Claus. But what ya gonna do?

KingJ2002

Bad:

Required disc update
Super
UMvC3
BBCSEX

Required DLC update
AE

Disc Locked Content
SFxTK

Non mandatory DLC data
MK9

Good:

I like this...

but this news... im just going to dump UMVC3... I've had enough of this horseshit

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Haha, glad I didn't buy Ultimate!

smh, you didn't read whole thread. It was hoax.

---------------

I don't want to play blame game but what made me suspect something weird. Many people (at many different forums) can't find the original source but they tracked back to the original source which is in UMVC3 OT2 which posted by Cedyme.

I am not saying that Cedyme could made up the rumor and photoshop but if he want to post the rumors then he should post the link in first place but he didn't. People always cited their source with the link since I became member at Neogaf.

Cedyme, I would like to see the link to that thread that you found your information from, please.

They're totally not duplicating the SF4 model. They're definitely not gonna release a core game, then a significant upgrade, then a download upgrade. That'd be crazy!

Foffy

Banned
They're totally not duplicating the SF4 model. They're definitely not gonna release a core game, then a significant upgrade, then a download upgrade. That'd be crazy!

But it's Capcom. It's not that crazy, considering the shitty things they've done this gen.

Ah well, wouldn't have been a surprise. I still remember when people were asking Niitsuma before MvC3's reveal why Dante wasn't in TvC, he said "oh, yeah we were gauging interest from DMC4. He'll be in a new TvC game if it's made." Then MvC3 was revealed and he said , "Yeah that was a lie to keep MvC under wraps. We 'saved' him for MvC3"

I'm still pulling for something new with Tatsunoko on WiiU (maybe for launch later this year?). It's Tatsunoko's 50th Anniversary this year, and there's still that supposed Marvel crossover Anime they're doing. Plus Sven's ambiguous comment a short while back regarding Tatsunoko keeps me hopeful.

Roto13

When did game expansions become a bad thing? I'd happily buy actual honest-to-god not-withheld-for-the-sake-of-douchery new characters and stages. If it actually happened.

Also you can't trust a word that comes out of Seth or Sven's mouth.

If this is true, then it's not bad. Sure people are still pissed that Capcom is handing then yet another version, albeit just new characters. At least it won't be locked on a disk.

Also: Gene, Asura and
(Bad Box Art Mega Mean. You knew that this is going to happen and you will probably never see original Mega Man or even X for that matter)

As for Marvel, I wouldn't mind who gets on the roster, as long as it's a female character.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
Hence why MvC3 was the last Capcpom game I will ever buy day one.

Never again.

Will wait for Resident Evil 6: Gold, Super Deluxe, Ultimate Challnege, Game of they Year, Better with Kinect Edition.

....this is CAPCOM we are talking about here man...gotta get the :

Gold, Super Deluxe, Ultimate Challnege, Game of they Year, Better with Kinect Edition EX...Alpha 9th Strike... Ichiban ver 2.0 Perfect Battle...

you should know this

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
....this is CAPCOM we are talking about here man...gotta get the :

Gold, Super Deluxe, Ultimate Challnege, Game of they Year, Better with Kinect Edition EX...Alpha 9th Strike... Ichiban ver 2.0 Perfect Battle...

you should know this

Not like anything has changed in the past 20 years with regards to that.

I think we all can agree the poster is fake. And that somehow the GS databases made a goof but honestly doubt that the entire thing is fake. They responded too soon to it being 100% fake.

SmithnCo

If this is true, then it's not bad. Sure people are still pissed that Capcom is handing then yet another version, albeit just new characters. At least it won't be locked on a disk.

Also: Gene, Asura and
(Bad Box Art Mega Mean. You knew that this is going to happen and you will probably never see original Mega Man or even X for that matter)

As for Marvel, I wouldn't mind who gets on the roster, as long as it's a female character.

Gene and Asura would both be perfect for this series, they are really flashy. I am hoping for an eventual expansion or MvC4 just for the prospect of Gene. TvC would work as well, especially for Asura.

Top Bottom