• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: EA could be bringing their games back to Steam.

diffusionx

Gold Member
it just doesn't make sense to voluntarily lock yourself out of a market of 90 million people. Consider the larger cut the price of accessing those people, just like paying to get your games on the end caps back in the day.

Probably not. If this is true, Valve probably approach them with a better deal, but we`ll probably never know.

For EA the cut would be closer to 20% though as the games they would put up there would definitely make over $50 million in revenue.

Last edited:

Gamezone

Gold Member
it just doesn't make sense to voluntarily lock yourself out of a market of 90 million people. Consider the larger cut the price of accessing those people, just like paying to get your games on the end caps back in the day.

For EA the cut would be closer to 20% though as the games they would put up there would definitely make over $50 million in revenue.

Bringing the cut closer to 12% for a big publisher EA would be better than nothing I guess?

SantaC

They all come back in the end with their tales between their legs.
latest

Holammer

Titanfall 2 on Steam and they have a sale. I mean, it's been sold for like 4€ on Origin, but installing the client and digging up the login info? Can't be bothered. Heck, I might even buy Anthem ironically.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Not for EA.
Starting last year, Valve's cut goes down to 25% for sales over 10 million, and to 20% automatically for all sales over $50 million in revenue.

So it's kinda like tax brackets (maybe a bad analogy since nobody understands those either).

Woo-Fu

Banned
These big companies count every penny but 20% doesn't seem so bad vs 12% if the 20% market is 3x bigger (or more).
That's just it, any money is greater than $0, the amount of money they're making off of people who are uninterested in buying games that aren't on steam. It should be a lifecycle thing, it goes exclusive to Origin---for as long as Origin is a thing---and then when most of the sales have dried up release it on Steam too.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Their big titles like Star Wars, Battlefield, Mass Effect and Dragon Age might do just fine on Origin. But many people open Origin for their indie titles and games like Mirrors Edge.

Yeah Origin isn't the best. Never really understood the amount of hate it gets though. If you have Uplay, Steam, and Origin...that's 3 icons on your desktop. Compared to when we would have an icon for every-single-game previously. Always reading about complaints for "having another launcher" as a big deal. It really isn't.

johntown

Banned
Knowing EA I really doubt it. I could see them doing something like Uplay does........the games can be purchased via Steam but they all launch and are controlled by Origin.

Honestly though at this point I don't really care that much. Origin is not a bad store and there are so few games EA puts out that I actually care about anyway. No way I would double-dip unless the games are super discounted.

Graciaus

I haven't played anything by EA or Ubisoft in years. Can't think of anything I missed out on.

Except titan fall 2. Played it on Xbox.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
Funny enough, I was just thinking about this earlier today, what a coincidence...I was thinking......."Why cant EA put it's games on Steam".....I mean what do you lose....Persons who want to use Origin will still use it and those who prefer Steam will buy your game......That means EA games reaches a much bigger audience, where Steam users dwarf Origin...….

I have a few games on Origin, but some aspects of the store I don't like and I hardly boot it up......So I much prefer steam, but I'm not against EA games......So here I was thinking, I'm in a Need For Speed...…….It would be great to have all these games on Steam......Like why don't EA games remaster all NFS games...…(Porche Unleashed, High Stakes, UnderGround, Most Wanted, Hot Pursuit, Carbon, Pro Street etc...)..Give them widescreen support, upgrade a few textures etc.....put them on steam....Why is Crysis 3 not on Steam, I have all the other games there....

I think the best solution for these big publishers is to put your games on every store, especially the biggest PC store, there is no way you can lose from that, more people will buy and play your game...….I don't know the last time I booted Origin....

prag16

Banned
I mean, they'll probably still make you keep Origin on your system. It'll still be an intermediary in the background when you launch your games at minimum I'd be willing to bet (assuming this is even true).

I'm still firmly in the camp of "who gives a shit?" in terms of having another launcher or two installed. Literally do not care whatsoever. And it's not hard to add non-Steam games to the interface. (I give exactly zero shits about achievements or whatever.)

dDoc

There s nothing in the EA catalogue that I want to play. Don't think their future efforts will entice me either

MiguelItUp

Honestly they REALLY should do this. Just pull out of Origin entirely, it's never going to be more than what it has been and what it is. Put your current and future library in a more reliable platform and move on.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Steam is the only launcher at the moment who's adding new features. Almost every other launcher is outdated, and they have to move on at some point, especially now as streaming is getting more popular. Steam now has everything you can ask for when it comes to streaming and remote play. Publishers either have to spend money on their launchers or pay a cut to Valve.

Mr.Allan

Neo Member
Steam is the only launcher at the moment who's adding new features. Almost every other launcher is outdated, and they have to move on at some point, especially now as streaming is getting more popular. Steam now has everything you can ask for when it comes to streaming and remote play. Publishers either have to spend money on their launchers or pay a cut to Valve.
Yeah, also https://steamcommunity.com/groups/SteamClientBeta/announcements/detail/1568867850996391857 Steam does stuff that game devs don't want to and people try to argue that other ea/ubi/epic launchers are just one button and who gives a damn.

NickFire

30% though!?
I don't understand how the percentage is controversial in either direction. I look at it like this. If you get all bent out of shape when a game launches or stays on a competitor, then you're being ridiculous because going from 30%, to 12% or 0% is a perfectly reasonable business decision, and getting bent out of shape when pubs choose the savings is absurd. But if a pub is ok with it as a marketing expense, that is perfectly reasonable too. Marketing is expensive, and the larger the platform the more valuable the exposure is.

That all said, I bet EA gets a special deal for all games after being gone. EA has as much clout as anyone. And even if they don't, 30% for the old games is nothing and EA would be dumb not to get them on there eventually. 70% of an old game is a lot more than 0%. I can understand saving 30% in the launch window, and maybe in the early post launch period. But eventually you get to a point where 0% of 100% is still 0.

Barakov

Gold Member
Hoping this is true. There's some EA games I want to check out on PC.

More people buying and playing your game > Making 100% off your game. I guess they realized a lot of people just straight up don't want to use Origin. I can see a lot more people playing Apex Legends on PC if it was on Steam.

crumbs

Thanks to this thread, I decided to log into Origin (which I haven't done in awhile). I totally forgot that 'Unravel' had a sequel and that the 'Fe' game released. Small games just go to die on the Origin launcher & website.

junguler

Banned
ubisoft stops releasing games on steam and now ea (maybe) wants in on the steam action again, interesting. i wonder if vivendi still wanted to hostile takeover them would they still feel confident enough to not release their games on steam or not.

Gamezone

Gold Member
ubisoft stops releasing games on steam and now ea (maybe) wants in on the steam action again, interesting. i wonder if vivendi still wanted to hostile takeover them would they still feel confident enough to not release their games on steam or not.

They only stopped because Epic payed them to drop Steam. That`s probably a one year deal as well.

Top Bottom