• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: EA Sports planning subscription service

It seems legit given what Peter Moore mentioned earlier this month but i'll put it as a rumor for now

rm3Df.jpg

http://www.pastapadre.com/2011/04/22/ea-sports-planning-subscription-service

Spat_triate said:
I'll just leave these here (found on FIFA forums):

easub.jpg

ea3.jpg

ea4.jpg

markatisu

I just did a paid survey for them about this, so yes its very real

In fact that was an actual screen from the survey lol

Mama Robotnik said:
So pay for internet, then pay for XBL, then pay for the game, then pay for EA Online?

I don't like this, not one bit.

Don't forget a house to put them all in!

Though I do agree, pretty crazy to try to add a subscription fee on top of XBL.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
:/

All worthless, until I see the part about "expanded coverage on PC and Web"

and it instantly made me think: The Dynasty League Web Page will cost money to use/view...

And will still be borked.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Mama Robotnik said:
So pay for internet, then pay for XBL, then pay for the game, then pay for EA Online?

I don't like this, not one bit.
And in the end, it uses a regular P2P connection!

DMczaf

Full downloadable games?

Does this mean you get access to all (well, the ones they put in there) EA Sports games under the subscription?

bjork

What game would have paid content transfer from year to year? I haven't played an EA sports game in some time, but would this be a case where I'd buy a gold course in Tiger Woods 11 and then it's automatically going to show up when I boot up Tiger Woods 12?

Absoludacrous said:
Though I do agree, pretty crazy to try to add a subscription fee on top of XBL.

But Sega did this with PSO I/II on Xbox, and PSU on 360. It's not really a new thing in that respect, is it?

Nightz

Lonestar said:
:/

All worthless, until I see the part about "expanded coverage on PC and Web"

and it instantly made me think: The Dynasty League Web Page will cost money to use/view...

And will still be borked.
They're probably gonna steal sablescript and charge for it.
Sue them sable!

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
LOL...this is a horrible idea.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
bjork said:
What game would have paid content transfer from year to year? I haven't played an EA sports game in some time, but would this be a case where I'd buy a gold course in Tiger Woods 11 and then it's automatically going to show up when I boot up Tiger Woods 12?

Buy Big Head Mode Once, You've Got Big Head Mode 4 LYFE

Nightz said:
They're probably gonna steal sablescript and charge for it.
Sue them sable!

Was gonna mention Sable, but I didn't want to admit that I couldn't think of Sable's name. I just knew someone had written a code that perfomed 1000 times better than EA's webcode.

Haven't seen him on in awhile, maybe he works for EA now.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
It seems like an optional service, and the "benefits" sound worthless to me. If it doesn't develop beyond this model and strong-arm people into paying, then I see no harm. But this EA, so they'll find a way of screwing people up.

Shafto

Unbelievable - 'Discounts' off DLC. Make it f'n free with a subscription at least!

And the gall of charging for content being transferred to future titles. In this world of persistent online ID's, this should be bottom line stuff.

bjork said:
But Sega did this with PSO I/II on Xbox, and PSU on 360. It's not really a new thing in that respect, is it?

You didn't actually need Xbox Live Gold to play PSU. You could do it with a free silver account and just pay the PSU monthly fee. Same with FFXI.

I somehow doubt EA is going to bypass gold when it comes to online play under this subscription plan.

Raoh

meh

Honestly, we saw this coming. Companies are seeing people pay for XBLG, which like paying AOL for internet. Companies want in on the cash cow that is online services. (that are normally free)

If I were a publisher and saw how much money people spent on XBL I would be doing what EA is proposing too, UPlay and Activision is next. Not sure what rape service Capcom has in mind.

If you support AOL or XBLG, you really can't complain, you helped set the stage for this.

Was it going to happen anyway? Sure, probably. But we sure as hell made it easy for these companies to see that people are willing to pay.

heyf00L

Would be interesting if it let you play online so you can buy used again.

Although that'd be a crap solution to a crap problem.

The "ability" to transfer your DLC sounds like you have to pay an additional fee on top of the subscription for something that should be free, or a very small cost, for everyone.

EA is going to keep pushing, and eventually it's going to go too far and it's going to crumble on them.

Acidote

Rumor? They've been thinking on how to add subscription services for a while, as Activision is, and probably some more.

iNvid02

MultiCore said:
They already have one, and it costs $60 per year/ per sport.

this is what i was thinking, although the UK is not that bad. i only buy fifa and it drops in
price pretty quickly

I love how their NBA games aren't on that list. They know that 2K would make them weep if they didn't have a monopoly over some of those franchises.

oh no, I'm gonna miss out on all the great DLC for EA Sports games now that it's exclusive...

what DLC is even worth buying for EA Sports games? Ultimate Team is a worthless attempt to nickel and dime people, Madden always has ripoff stuff like AFL Uniforms, Tiger Woods offers courses at highway robbery prices and of course all the ridiculous boosts

no thanks guys

bjork

Absoludacrous said:
You didn't actually need Xbox Live Gold to play PSU. You could do it with a free silver account and just pay the PSU monthly fee. Same with FFXI.

I somehow doubt EA is going to bypass gold when it comes to online play under this subscription plan.

Ah, I didn't know this. I'll be damned.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
i've gone from most of their sports titles to just FIFA and Fight Night

Keep fuckin' around EA....keep fuckin' around.

Looks like they are just taking everything we already get and charging us/charging less for it.

- Discounts on all DLC for "participating" EA Sports console titles. Considering a vast majority of their current DLC for sports games is just bullshit pay to cheat unlock codes and courses that were in previous games for free, I don't give a fuck about this. Plus they put participating in there... any discounts likely won't apply to the popular sports titles. They can fill this promise by offering you cheaper cheat code DLC in NHL 12 and a new ball skin in FIFA. Fuck EA.

- Downloadable versions of "participating" titles before release. They sure aren't going to be giving us Madden before release date. And even if they did, is it worth it? Fuck EA.

- Exclusive membership recognition badge. Great, who doesn't want a scarlet letter on their profile? "Look at me! I'm EA's bitch!" Didn't they already try this with the hardcore Madden subscription or whatever? Where you had to pay to play ranked All-Madden games but got your name in a cool font? Fuck EA.

- Transfer paid content from past titles into future participating titles. Well this actually is a little shocking. So instead of getting a lot less content out of the box because EA cut a lot of it out to sell as DLC, you can instead buy the DLC, but then never have to buy it again? Tiger Woods comes to mind. IIRC the full game costs over $100 to buy and almost all of the DLC courses were in past games this generation for free. Fuck EA.

- Free extension of EA Sports into web and PC. Uh.. we already have this. We are forced to sign up for your goddamn shitty website accounts for virtually any one of your games. And linking them rarely works so people who play a lot of your games probably have 4-5 EA accounts. What this says to me is that the web features we used to get free like using the PC for Madden/NCAA franchises, will now require a subscription. Fucking stupid. But just as was the case in Madden 10 and Madden 11, someone will come out with something that fucking decimates what Tiburon and their huge staff and budget can do. I believe in Madden 10 someone from here created a franchise stat script. And in Madden 11 we have the league manager site. Fuck EA.

- Free DLC for participating titles. Have they ever released sports DLC that is worth a shit anyway? And you're paying a subscription so it's not "free" anyway. Fuck EA.

And people gripe about Activision. The dumbest part about all of this is they claim to want to create a unified, persistent social profile. WE HAVE THIS ALREADY. They are called our Live tags and our PSN usernames.

why don't they just make one game per sport and only charge for yearly updates? like 1 Madden per generation or so. that seemed obvious. but I have to remember millions of people shelling out $60 a year

Grinchy

Banned
This is the true advantage of hating sports games.

Now they want people to pay extra for games that play themselves.

Good thing sports games are boring or I'd be pretty upset.

I'm going to toss another "fuck you EA" in for good measure though. I really really hate them.

Rflagg

iNvidious01 said:
so its optional, im fine with that. just like i was fine with ps+.
This.This list sounds fairly innocent, it would be extremely easy to live without and seemily nothing is taken form non-subscribing peasants.
so far:(

Top Bottom