• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: Evil Within 2 / Psycho Break 2 in production

Erevador

First game is really underrated on GAF. It has got some retro jank, but it is true survival horror in a way that simply isn't done any more (SURVIVAL Horror, as opposed to Run-Away-and-Hide-Horror).

For me it was an absolute throwback to the glory days of horror games in the PS2 era.

For big fans of RE4 and Silent Hill, the game can be an absolute joy. The art design and sense of campy menace just makes the game a total pleasure to absorb.

It (in classic survival horror fashion) definitely did suffer from some engine clumsiness and slight brokenness at times though, and I have always very much felt that it would improve massively in a sequel with a lot of the wrinkles ironed out.

It is very exciting just to think about what Mikami and co will be able to do now that they're more comfortable on current generation hardware.

I think Evil Within 2 could be really special.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

Mifec

The name Psycho Break also fits the story a lot better.

also, Biohazard is better than Resident Evil.
#TeamJapan

Actually Evil Within fits better if you know how Ruvik influences what you see/where you are and how the game ends with him still
being able to do it in the real world. He leaves part of himself in everyone.

Actually Evil Within fits better if you know how Ruvik influences what you see/where you are and how the game ends with him still
being able to do it in the real world. He leaves part of himself in everyone.

I don't care, Physcho Break sounds cooler, and that's all that matters.
#TeamNippon

(I'm kidding bro)

both names make sense to a certain extent if you know that
everyone who leaves STEM has a piece of Ruvik inside them, and everyone is inside his mind.

kc44135

Despite the fact that it had tons of jank and horrid performance issues, I loved Evil Within. I also thought the two story focused DLC's were great (keeper DLC sucked). So yeah, bring on the sequel! Also,
if they're going to try an Akumu style difficulty again, I hope they improve the collision detection. It was awful in the first game and led to to so many cheap deaths for me. T_T

So what's the over/under on this game having Dark Souls style invasions, if the previous job listings for multiplayer were for a TEW sequel?

I would hate to think of it as having a separate multiplayer mode.

It really isn't unacceptable. Played it last year on PS4 and it is pretty much constant 30fps with some minor drops. It is pretty much something I would describe as 'okay' performance overall. The early chapters have bit more drops from what I remember.

They modified the engine as far as I know since they wanted specific style lighting that the engine couldn't produce. This makes the engine not work so great. Might remember totally wrong though.

It really isn't. The game's opening scene runs at like 20fps on a base PS4. Just like one of the earlier levels where you are in the forest. The game, post-patch on a base PS4 often runs around 20/25fps.

Check out the comparison: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqu1ObkxBAs&t=21s

Or check out the DF analysis here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hm3Z_xRCt6w
Not sure why there is so little gameplay footage in this comparison, but you can see it is very erratic.

If I didn't care for the game I wouldn't be bothered by this. I think the scenario and visuals are awesome. But they needed to optimize this better for consoles.

Never count out Mikami when he makes a sequel. For all of it's flaws, TEW was my favorite game of 2014. Still has my favorite boss fights of this gen.

kc44135

It really isn't. The game's opening scene runs at like 20fps on a base PS4. Just like one of the earlier levels where you are in the forest. The game, post-patch on a base PS4 often runs around 20/25fps.

Check out the comparison: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqu1ObkxBAs&t=21s

Or check out the DF analysis here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hm3Z_xRCt6w
Not sure why there is so little gameplay footage in this comparison, but you can see it is very erratic.

Yeah, it's rough as hell on base PS4 at times. Out of curiosity (and slightly off-topic), anybody know how the Evil Within runs on PS4 Pro with Boost mode enabled? Any better?

Spinky

I'm in.

First game was seriously mediocre, but with some improvements here and there a sequel could be really good.

Easily the best action horror title since the original Dead Space, and still the best game available on PS4, so obviously I'd be stoked if this is true. I hope Mikami hasn't retired from directing like he said he might.

Renekton

It went okay.

It's done 555,200 ± 20,837 on Steam, and the NPD debut was 380K at retail, so if we project out a bit based on trends, that's probably at least in the 2-3 million range overall.
Thanks.

That's not bad for horror at all, although the production value seemed expensive.

Out of curiosity, what shooting game isn't dudebro in your mind?

The Borderland series comes to mind. Yeah there's shooting in it but it's more numbers and statistics, as opposed to aiming for dat head and trying to see as much blood, gore and zombies running at you while doing so. I would say the Borderland series, in comparison to games like TEW and Gears of War, has lighter gunplay with more RPG elements taking place rather than straight-up dawg time shoot bang.

Another game is Prey (2006) and the modern Thief reboot, which doesn't have modern military guns but it does have shooting projectiles in it. In these games I wouldn't say you have to mindlessly kill every enemy you see or the mindless killing of enemies in these games be one of the most fun factors of them.

Hexer06

I will definitely take this sequel please! I thought the first game was really good. Spider lady and chainsaw dude gave me some tense moments in that game.

Erevador

The Borderland series comes to mind. Yeah there's shooting in it but it's more numbers and statistics, as opposed to aiming for dat head and trying to see as much blood, gore and zombies running at you while doing so. I would say the Borderland series, in comparison to games like TEW and Gears of War, has lighter gunplay with more RPG elements taking place rather than straight-up dawg time shoot bang.

Another game is Prey (2006) and the modern Thief reboot, which doesn't have modern military guns but it does have shooting projectiles in it. In these games I wouldn't say you have to mindlessly kill every enemy you see or the mindless killing of enemies in these games be one of the most fun factors of them.
If you think the TEW is "dudebro" than you MUST think RE4 is "dudebro."

Which is ridiculous.

These game are zany, gothic, over the top horror with a very Japanese spin.

Have you actually played Evil Within? The encounters are slow and tactical, requiring you to use the environment in creative ways, especially on the harder difficulty levels. It also requires you to be conservative with your resources, rather than just unloading on people.

It's not a chest-high-wall brown color scheme military shooter in any way.

Just because the game is violent doesn't mean it is Gears of War.

Was going through some old stuff earlier and came across this tweet from last year.

fsExelV.png

I feel like it gives credence to the leak here, since Tango seems to like hiring recent grads in April to work on their games. They advertised this position as early as April of 2016 for recruitment in 2017.

myco666

Anybody else could be the next Mikami, miyamoto, Miyazaki, kojima... But it's less likely.

Sure but it is still a possibility. Didn't we pretty much get RE2 because Mikami handed it to Kamiya who didn't really have anything under his belt at the time.

Would also like to Mikami be able to do exactly what he wants instead of being constantly tied into horror.

The DLC wasn't directed by Mikami and it showed. It was still decent though.

Thats true but it had very different focus compared to main game. Hard to say how the same people would have done more action styled content.

Borderlands is not dudebro? That game is probably the most dudebro thing I have ever played.

SkylineRKR

TEW was excellent. Brutal, challenging and legit scary. Too bad about the jank, if it performed like RE4 it might've been my fav game this gen.

Kalentan

Yeah, it's rough as hell on base PS4 at times. Out of curiosity (and slightly off-topic), anybody know how the Evil Within runs on PS4 Pro with Boost mode enabled? Any better?

IIRC I think digital foundry said it's mostly 30 fps with boost and no black bars.

J 0 E

The first TEW is one of my favorite games this gen, everything about it was sublime except the technical side

my only wish is they use a different engine this time, something better localized for japanese devs like Unreal 4

Aske

I know it was polarising, I don't know why, but I loved the first game. Took me far too long to give it a shot due to all the hate, but it played like a dream. Day 1 for this.

I know it was polarising, I don't know why, but I loved the first game. Took me far too long to give it a shot due to all the hate, but it played like a dream. Day 1 for this.

I think out of all the criticism I have for the game it's the performance that is the worst part of it. I played it day 1 and was barely reaching 30fps at 1080p on medium/high with my GTX 660, the card below the recommended one.

I upgraded to a 970 and played the Kidman DLCs but I was still getting bad performance, it was above 30fps, but below 60fps. If EW2 does become a thing a new engine is needed for sure.

He retracted that statement quite some time ago, admitting it was hasty.

Yes, that is where the might comes in. The last I heard was the next game might/might not be directed by him. Ideally, Tango would have two projects going at once, but I'm not sure they're big enough at this point.

the atmosphere and locales in the game were great, the controls and the design for enemy encounters were not

and who tries to make an action game with the resource drops of a survival horror game?

Evil Within main flaw was probably the engine.... And having to develop for 5 different platforms.

And also maybe Mikami making it out of the remains of another game...

HeelPower

I am currently replaying the game on boost mode without the black borders.Seems to be locked 30,7 chapters in.

Much better than back in release.The game looks and runs so well.

Now is a great time to replay(or play) if you were looking to do that.

The Evil Within 2:psycho Break

Psycho Break 2: The Evil Within

I really enjoyed it. It took a few weeks/months for me to really get into it since I wanted to wait for the patches to stop flowing- but on PC, patched, with the Widescreen 60fps mod, that game was amazing. I can see how the experience would have been lessened with the black bars and 20fps thing going on for sure though.

I enjoyed the story for what it was. Lets hope for an Alien>Aliens or Resident Evil>Resident Evil 2 here. The game has a ton of potential and if you could overlook the 1st ones flaws there was a good time and great atmosphere to be had for sure.

the atmosphere and locales in the game were great, the controls and the design for enemy encounters were not

and who tries to make an action game with the resource drops of a survival horror game?

It wasn't an action game. You weren't supposed to play it like one. That was why it had the resource drops of a survival horror game. Because it was survival horror. Bethesda wasn't subtle about it in marketing, either, so I don't know where you got the impression that it was supposed to be played like a later RE game.

The enemy encounter design was brilliant.

Evil Within main flaw was probably the engine.... And having to develop for 5 different platforms.

And also maybe Mikami making it out of the remains of another game...

RE4 ended up becoming three different games in the end. That isn't exactly abnormal for a Mikami development cycle.

Jawmuncher

It wasn't an action game. You weren't supposed to play it like one. That was why it had the resource drops of a survival horror game. Because it was survival horror. Bethesda wasn't subtle about it in marketing, either, so I don't know where you got the impression that it was supposed to be played like a later RE game.

The enemy encounter design was brilliant.

You could cheese the game something fierce with the crossbow and light arrows.
80% of the game I was just stunning and one hit killing enemies with the knife kills. Then had all the ammo I needed for the bigger enemies.
All of the variables it had in terms of upgrades definitely hurt the encounters from being more tightly designed like in RE4.

You could cheese the game something fierce with the crossbow and light arrows.
80% of the game I was just stunning and one hit killing enemies with the knife kills. Then had all the ammo I needed for the bigger enemies.
All of the variables it had in terms of upgrades definitely hurt the encounters from being more tightly designed like in RE4.

I don't know what that has to do with enemy encounter design/ammo drop rates.

It affects both those things.
I didn't go out of my way to realize what was the most effective way to play.

I'm sorry, I'm not trying to be a jerk. I'm legitimately not following you.

I seriously don't understand how using flash bolts is connected to the enemy encounter design OR the ammo drop rate in this game. Even if you found the most efficient way to play, I can't connect the logic dots between this statement and the previous poster's complaint that ammo was too scarce for him to get through it properly.

Some of the most exciting news I've heard in awhile. I was just thinking about replaying the first one again. It's one of those games that I grow to enjoy more each time I play through it.

Hope they stick with the same type of tps gameplay (with refinements, improvements and additions of course). With Dead Space basically dead and RE7 going first person I need my fix of horror third person shooters.

Top Bottom