• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Factor 5 Developing New Kid Icarus Game for Wii

VegaShinra

I saw a mention of this in the Factor 5 thread but now they have posted a full blown story on it. Thought it might be worth its own thread for those who might not have visited the Factor 5 thread.

Nintendo and ex-Nintendo developer Factor 5 might have temporarily broken up, giving the developer just enough time to develop and release its dragon-themed shooter exclusively on Sony's PlayStation 3, but last week, news hit the Internet that the two companies are once again working together. According to reports last week, Factor 5 is developing an exclusive game for Nintendo's latest home console, Wii.

Kombo has learned from a credible source that Wii game is in fact a new installment in Nintendo's cherished Kid Icarus franchise. According to sources, Factor 5's Kid Icarus title is being developed ground-up for Wii. It will not use one of the developer's previous GameCube graphics engines. Unfortunately, at this time, no other details have been provided to us for publish.

It has been over twenty years since the gaming world was first introduced to Kid Icarus, with the original releasing in 1986 for NES. The 2D sidescroller is uniquely its own, but its design enjoys recognizable influences from three of Nintendo's biggest franchises: Mario, Metroid and Zelda.

Kombo has fired off e-mails to Nintendo and Factor 5 for comment on this rumor. Until we have more to report, please consider this story just that: a rumor.

Kombo.com

TJ Spyke

This rumor has been around for years. Let it rest.

Besides, I would rathe have a good that looks decent and plays great rather than a game that looks great and plays mediocre.

Kevtones

I think if Nintendo and F5 collaberated it could turn out great. Let F5 handle the tech, and Nintendo the design. BOOYEAH.

Gigglepoo

Greatness Gone said:
Nintendo would never let this shit happen.

They let Sega and Namco develop titles in two of their key franchises. Why wouldn't they let a developer they have even closer ties with developer a new game in a long-forgotten, third tier franchise? It's plausible, I would just rather see a competent developer try to resurrect the franchise. It's why so many people are hoping Retro Studios has a go at it.

Gigglepoo said:
They let Sega and Namco develop titles in two of their key franchises. Why wouldn't they let a developer they have even closer ties with developer a new game in a long-forgotten, third tier franchise? It's plausible, I would just rather see a competent developer try to resurrect the franchise. It's why so many people are hoping Retro Studios has a go at it.
Sega and Namco are a tiny bit more competent than the shit that is Factor 5, though.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I endorse this idea. Because once they do it, hopefully no one will ever mention wanting a new Kid Icarus ever again.

lyre

First it was Capcom 5 4 3 2's deceased Dead Phoenix was to be reborn as a Kid Icarus game, then it was rumoured that Retro would be making a KIcarus game, and now this.

Please, let it go; it's getting pathetic, Chrono Trigger sequel pathetic.
hilarious if true, but it's not.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Not.this.shit.again.jpg

TJ Spyke said:
Corrected.
No, that's not true in the slightest.

They can make competent games with terrific visuals, but that's only if they stick to arcade style space shooters, and don't mess it up with anything extraneous.

It's when they deviate from that, that their games fall apart.

I'm not saying that I want this to happen, but Factor 5 makes one complete trash game and becomes the worst developer ever?

That's like after Mario Party 8 came out saying that Nintendo is a complete shit developer.

Zozz

Banned
Edag Plata said:
I'm not saying that I want this to happen, but Factor 5 makes one complete trash game and becomes the worst developer ever?

That's like after Mario Party 8 came out saying that Nintendo is a complete shit developer.
:lol :lol :lol

Edag Plata said:

How is that even remotely similar?

TJ Spyke

Edag Plata said:

1)Factor 5 has never made a great game. Their games have ranged from terrible to mediocre.

2)Hudson Soft has deloped all 8 console MP games, not Nintendo. MP8 was a really fun game (provided you play with others since party games are usually not that good in single player).

VegaShinra

TJ Spyke said:
1)Factor 5 has never made a great game. Their games have ranged from terrible to mediocre.

2)Hudson Soft has deloped all 8 console MP games, not Nintendo. MP8 was a really fun game (provided you play with others since party games are usually not that good in single player).
Rogue Squadron 2 wasn't that bad of a game. Sure the third one was terrible, but the second title was good.

AniHawk

Sounds like a good match for Kid Icarus.

Maybe it was a "ya had to be there" sorta thing, but I played Kid Icarus (the first one) recently and didn't understand what all the fuss was about. It was all right, but there are other NES games that deserve a sequel or remake more than KI does (like Little Nemo!).

fernoca

TJ Spyke said:
What?
Rogue Squadron, Rogue Leader, Rebel Strike, Battle for Naboo?? "That site that ranks games" the "worst one" was Rebel Strike, and it has a 75% average, the rest have over 80% average..how's that terrible to mediocre?

Just because the yall are Star Wars games doesn't mean the y only make bad games or anything for that matter..
Heck, Lair is kinda good, yeah it has a few problems, but is not the most mediocre-abysmal game ever made that a few at GAF seems to make it..

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
dasein said:
Lifeless, stiff, cold, static Kid Icarus ftl

Such a weird retrofetish. I had Kid Icarus, Clu CLu Land, Ice Climber, Metroid, Donkey Kong, three mario games, loads of other random shit like Section Z and Gauntlet and so on- Kid Icarus was not even in my top 20.

Different strokes, I guess.

camineet

Banned
oh boy, ....rumors.

rumor 2:

I heard Factor 5's new Kid Icarus game for Wii is using a revamped version of the engine they developed for Thornado on Gamecube :lol

Gigglepoo

Stinkles said:
Such a weird retrofetish. I had Kid Icarus, Clu CLu Land, Ice Climber, Metroid, Donkey Kong, three mario games, loads of other random shit like Section Z and Gauntlet and so on- Kid Icarus was not even in my top 20.

Did you play DK King of Swing? It's very similar to Clu Clu Land. Very similar.

I'm not sure how anyone at Nintendo can possibly think that Factor 5 would be a good match for a Kid Icarus revival which will obviously be an adventure/platformer game. Unless Pit is going to be a X-Wing and never touches land, I can't see how Factor 5 has the credentials for this unless Nintendo is deliberately ignoring the potential and plans on turning it into some shallow arcade shooter affair. Retro, EAD, or maybe even Monolithsoft better be at the helm of this project if it exists.

plufim

fernoca said:
What?
Rogue Squadron, Rogue Leader, Rebel Strike, Battle for Naboo?? "That site that ranks games" the "worst one" was Rebel Strike, and it has a 75% average, the rest have over 80% average..how's that terrible to mediocre?

Just because the yall are Star Wars games doesn't mean the y only make bad games or anything for that matter..
Heck, Lair is kinda good, yeah it has a few problems, but is not the most mediocre-abysmal game ever made that a few at GAF seems to make it..

As someone who played all 4 star wars games, I can tell you rebel strike was vastly overrated to get 75%. It's often completely uplayable, and it's only saving grace is it's really, really pretty. Battle for Naboo was also pretty bad, with non-flying vehciles not handling very well.

Factor 5 only made two competant games, and three more that looking amazing for the tech but played like arse.

AniHawk said:
Maybe it was a "ya had to be there" sorta thing, but I played Kid Icarus (the first one) recently and didn't understand what all the fuss was about. It was all right, but there are other NES games that deserve a sequel or remake more than KI does (like Little Nemo!).

The fuss over Kid Icarus isn't over the original game (or at least I hope not). It's decent at best. It's the potential that lies in the property. Personally, I think a Kid Icarus sequel has a chance to turn an otherwise unremarkable 2D franchise to a really really great 3D one like F-Zero X did.

A hypothetical new Kid Icarus would scarcely resemble the NES original, playing something like Zelda but with a heavy dose of platforming and combat that focuses primarily on the bow and arrow (a great fit for Wii, in my opinion). Then again these are just fanboy ramblings. =/

Terrell

If Factor 5 is making the next Kid Icarus, I will personally fly to Kyoto to slap Shigeru Miyamoto in the face with a sandpaper glove on for letting that happen.
And I wouldn't discount a Kid Icarus revival... I mean, this year alone, we're getting comebacks of NiGHTS, Bionic Commando and a "proper" Street Fighter, and I remember a time when such things were as completely unimaginable as a Kid Icarus revival.

TreIII

No no no no no! Please NO!

They already took Metroid away from its precious 2D roots. I don't wanna lose Kid Icarus too...

Gigglepoo

TreIII said:
No no no no no! Please NO!

They already took Metroid away from its precious 2D roots. I don't wanna lose Kid Icarus too...

You would rather have no game than a 3D version? Ok... you realize Metroid was pretty much dead before Retro resurrected it, right?

Top Bottom