• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumor] Fifa 18 partnership goes to Sony?

KampferZeon

Neo Member
EA switch this after a 10 years contract with MS??

but realistically EA can only go where it's customer go. outside us and UK, xb is small.
and football is a global but us sport.

Tregard

Soothsayer
It's clearly going to Switch. EA is making a very special version exclusively for the Switch. Neither Sony and MS can claim that.

Sony on-stage announcement, EA executive tells the crowd he has changed his son's name from Mario to Kratos.

He's gotta be trolling, that's the only way someone would post something like that.
He must be, his name is Heisenberg.
god_damn_right_breaking_bad.gif

Seems like everyone is jumping on board with Sony right now.

Fifa (if this is true)
Call of Duty,
Red Dead Redemption 2,
Star Wars Battlefront 2,
Destiny 2,
Lawbreakers,
Far Cry 5,

Sony seem to have most of the big 3rd party games on board, seems like the total reverse of last gen, when it was always 360 that got most of the deals.

Rellik

Seems like everyone is jumping on board with Sony right now.

Fifa (if this is true)
Call of Duty,
Red Dead Redemption 2,
Star Wars Battlefront 2,
Destiny 2,
Lawbreakers,
Far Cry 5,

Sony seem to have most of the big 3rd party games on board, seems like the total reverse of last gen, when it was always 360 that got most of the deals.

Companies go to the market leader.

JP

I'm not really sure how useful deals like this really are as I generally don't follow who has which deal.

I suppose EA is going to go with whatever is best for EA, what's best for them isn't just the size of the bag of money they may receive for these deals but also the exposure to the brand the brand that they are selling.

I suppose that PS4 would seem like the obvious choice in those terms, not just the sheer amount of sales but also that it is still far more of a global brand than Xbox is.

I'd imagine that Nintendo loses out somewhat because if you're only demonstrating the game on a single system, then you probably want to avoid the worst looking, even if you can take that version out with you. Of course, that would probably change if the console sales of the PS4 and Switch were exchanged.

Is Madden still a big brand in terms of marketing? I'm sure it is in the USA but how does it compare in relation to FIFA on a larger scale?

Ascenion

Ubisoft had changing marketing deals each year between Sony and Microsoft, so it's pretty much guaranteed with Microsoft this year, as Syndicate had a Sony deal.

People keep saying this but I need proof because I'm almost positive it is not true. ACB had exclusive PS3 content and the beta, ACR had the bonus of AC1 on disc only on PS3 and another Beta, AC3 had exclusive PS3 missions and the console bundle, AC4 had a console bundle for PS4 and exclusive missions. Unity did in fact go to Xbox for a bundle with AC4 but no exclusive anything and then Syndicate back to PS4. So where is this switching nonsense coming from?

Assassin's Creed 1 and 2 I can't account for but what I've listed above already squashes the switching thing every year.

Have MS given up or something, weird that they're letting all these deals slip. I guess they already lost this gen but if these deals continue into next gen they'll be at a disadvantage immediately.

EBreda

Sony's being aggressive like they were in the PS2 days. Putting in some work (money) to make PlayStation synonymous with huge brands. Hopefully it pays off in the next generation.

Hopefully it won't, it's a shitty way to beat the competition imo, not being able to say games X Y Z also have versions (and possibly the best one) on your ecosystem.

It's a trend I can not support.

Hopefully it won't, it's a shitty way to beat the competition imo, not being able to say games X Y Z also have versions (and possibly the best one) on your ecosystem.

is it known how these deals come about in the first place? are the publishers approaching sony or is it the other way around?

JMY86

Why not Nintendo? You'd think they would want to advertise the portability

There is no way EA let's their biggest game be shown off on the Switch. I'm not saying the Switch version will be bad but it will be the worst looking version of the game. The game could possibly have some of the features stripped from it and also EA not calling the Switch version FIFA 18 is probably not a good sign.

Pachimari

Does anyone really care (if it's just legends)?
This is a huge deal. So many players would kill to get Legendary players like Laudrup, Schmeichel, Maradonna , Figo, Zidane etc on their Ultimate Team. This being on PS4? Hell yeah , finally. Let's just hope this partnership actually brings that mode to the PlayStation too. If not, it's still a great deal to be associated with FIFA.

Is Madden still a big brand in terms of marketing? I'm sure it is in the USA but how does it compare in relation to FIFA on a larger scale?

Surely you jest....very few ppl outside US knew about American football. For the longest time, I thought it's rugby with armour.

TLZ

Banned
Sony are Champs League sponsors and there are rumors FIFA got the CL license back so this might be a good reason.

Sony haven't had Fifa partnership since Fifa 13. I think when people say that they see Sony/Playstation as advertising during football matches, are probably thinking of during the Champions League(Playstation, which is UEFA not FIFA) and just Sony advertising during the World Cup.

Gurish

Makes sense, Sony and soccer are much more powerful in Europe and South America, they are also a big sponser at the Champinos League, seems like a very obvious and natural connection.

PS4/FIFA bundle will sell tons of unit, if this is true.
At least in Europe

What you mean?

Like this is going to make a massive difference. Both are already selling tons in Europe.

This is probably a blow to Xbox if true. But it's not really a big deal for Sony. If they didn't have this deal they would still be selling more copies of Fifa on PlayStation than Xbox.

pitchfork

Pleases me as an Xbox gamer tbh

Much rather see them put their money into the platform and service and let this do the talking as opposed to marketing deals. Get the impression this is Phil Spencer's thinking too

Can someone enlighten me as to the merit of these marketing deals? Does it give one publisher the exclusive right to advertise the game for all consoles or just their own?

Justified

Marketing deals happen are not too unusual.

Now money hatting to keep a game off of a competitor's, or pushing parity clauses are practices that need to be abandoned for sure

MrS

Banned
DerZuhälter;238139469 said:
Are Sony-plebs finally getting FUT Legends cards?

That would be a gamechanger indeed.
The odds of packing one of these is so fucking slim that as somebody who enjoys FUT, I don't even care about this shit.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Can someone enlighten me as to the merit of these marketing deals? Does it give one publisher the exclusive right to advertise the game for all consoles or just their own?
Just means more obnoxious "for the players" ads rather than whatever the hell Xbox does. Actually, what does Xbox even do with their sponsor ads?

Also, all this exclusive advertising seems pointless to me but I don't really care, I've got what consoles I need and I'm definitely not the target audience.

RdN

Sony is spending so much with these marketing deals, while keeping a good first party line up for 2017. Pretty incredible.

This would be a HUGE loss for Microsoft.

FIFA UT Legends is the reason why Xbox is the console of choice for FIFA. Losing that.. Ugly.

Justified

Im sure its some marketing research out there somewhere that says having your logo advertised with a hot item, mentally implants the suggestion to buy your item in a consumer's mind

Haven't they always? I don't know if it's related but most FIFA sponsored matches have PS4 signs, not Xbox. I imagine it goes both ways.

The Champions League and some other actual Fifa events might have been sponsored by Playstation in the past, but this is a partnership for the game itself. Basically lets them put their PS4 bumper at the end of ads, create Fifa hardware bundles, ect...

It probably helps when you are selling 2X as much hardware as the competition, especially globally where Fifa and soccer in general are such huge brands

Top Bottom