• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Final Fantasy IX PC port possibly headed to PS Vita

Status
Not open for further replies.
A developer at Silicon Studio Thailand who worked on the Final Fantasy IX PC port said on his resume that he also worked on a version for PS Vita.

The developer said he worked on achievements and cloud saves for each platform (iOS/Android/Vita/Steam), so I would assume that he was pretty familiar with each platform.

I linked to this a couple days ago in the Steam thread and it has since been deleted from his resume. But here's a screencap:

ncKVyHl.jpg

In addition you can still see it on Google search cache
YfvC6zX.jpg

EDIT:
There's actually mentions of Vita in the PC files. Either it's planned for later or it was just cancelled.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=201133434#post201133434

Had stuff to do with achievements trophies being disabled with boosters on, which I actually find a bit weird considering FFVII on PS4 etc doesn't lock you out of them. If anything, it seems like this canned early on before things went through vetting. ("achievements" heh)

Soulflarz

Banned
It's on vita via ps1, so it seems kind of pointless, but okay then. Nice for anyone who wants to mods and trophies.

actually, a vita port of 7. PS4 and Vita versions of 8 and 9 with cloud saves makes a whole lot of sense.

I'd buy 8 and 9 if so.

ZeroX03

Banned
That would be an odd choice for a game that is already available on the platform when there's the PS4 that's actually alive, doesn't have the game and has already received a VII port. Maybe it's a mistake. Maybe VII is coming too. Maybe we'll get cross save.

khaaan

This one let you speed up the battles, right?

If so, I'd rebuy it on the Vita in a heartbeat. I've never finished the game because it's just so slow.

RalchAC

People always talk about how bad loading times and stuff is on the PS1 version.

This would make me buy it in a heartbeat. I haven't played FFIX.

cireza

Banned
Why not. Would buy this if it uses the entire screen and is a clean port, even if no real graphic improvements.

ZeroX03

Banned
8 HD isnt out yet is it?

No word on VIII. It does have the PC version though, so IX taking priority isn't a surprise. And VII got the mobile and PS4 release before both because it'd sell the most by far obviously.

I suspect all three will get the console/mobile/PC trifecta eventually, SE takes it slow so you buy them on everything.

Falk

that puzzling face
So Square Enix recreated the whole of FF9 in Unity?

Should have done it in UE4 so we can have a nice "Zidane in UE4" GAF thread.

There's actually mentions of Vita in the PC files. Either it's planned for later or it was just cancelled.

I didn't know this. Could be either forthcoming or canceled.

Had stuff to do with achievements trophies being disabled with boosters on, which I actually find a bit weird considering FFVII on PS4 etc doesn't lock you out of them. If anything, it seems like this canned early on before things went through vetting. ("achievements" heh)

Should have done it in UE4 so we can have a nice "Zidane in UE4" GAF thread.

What was canned ? The achievements being locked or the vita version ?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
If they do release it on consoles:

Please

No Excalibur 2 trophy

Falk

that puzzling face
What was canned ? The achievements being locked or the vita version ?

(apparently mandatory-nowadays disclaimer that this is speculation on my part)

Even if the change of functionality between VII PS4 and IX hypothetical-Vita in that boosters disable trophies was a deliberate change, I don't see a mistake like labeling them as achievements rather than trophies as something that would have survived the earliest testing passes.

Hence it is my speculation that for whatever reason the plans for a Vita version were canned relatively early on in development, with code like that being vestigial leftovers.

(Also for what it's worth, Unity games on Vita don't have a stellar performance track record)

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Although to be frank, I wouldn't be surprised if FFVIII and FFIX does come to PS4 (and maybe Vita) because:

1. I'm guessing FFVII PS4 did well, it has around 10k ratings I think?
2. FFVII has been the top selling classic game on PS3 for many many many months, followed by FFVIII and FFIX.
3. There are PC ports so I'm guessing it's easy to port it on consoles.
4. The FF brand is heavily associated with PlayStation.

It'll be leaving money on the table if they do skip them though.

Tsunamo

This would be great. Hopefully them bringing over Saga 2 is a good sign of them deciding to bring over more software from other platforms to the West on Vita.

It's a bit of a weird choice versus a PS4 release, but I'd more than welcome a non-50hz version on Vita that's native resolution (the original doesn't look too great on Vita for me personally) with trophys and the extra stuff like turbo mode.

(apparently mandatory-nowadays disclaimer that this is speculation on my part)

Even if the change of functionality between VII PS4 and IX hypothetical-Vita in that boosters disable trophies was a deliberate change, I don't see a mistake like labeling them as achievements rather than trophies as something that would have survived the earliest testing passes.

Hence it is my speculation that for whatever reason the plans for a Vita version were canned relatively early on in development, with code like that being vestigial leftovers.

(Also for what it's worth, Unity games on Vita don't have a stellar performance track record)

Well, I understood this was speculation haha. I was just wondering if you were speculating about the fact that the trophies lock out when using boosters was canned or the Vita version. As for Unity games having bad performances on Vita, I guess it's due to terrible multi-threading with Unity. Vita CPU is extremly low clocked and Unity relies on better single threaded performances. Although I'm wondering if FFIX would perform this bad on Vita, considering how low the requirements seems to be.

I bought FF VII-IX (PS1 versions) to play on my Vita years ago and still haven't got around to playing them but I would totally re-buy them if they were the versions with trophy support etc

I don't see a mistake like labeling them as achievements rather than trophies as something that would have survived the earliest testing passes.

I would imagine that he's using that word in a generic sense, since he was referring to all platforms. I wouldn't get hung up on the exact word choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom