• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumor] Final Fantasy VII Remake, new possible details, also regarding a possible new summon for the game

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
So let me put it this way; FFVII has a massive overworld when you think in terms of the variety of locations, enemies, encounters, and the various activities to do in each location. My assumption is that the reason they are doing this in 2 parts is so that they can actually bring all of that forward into this game.

That is insane. Witcher 3 and Spider-Man are both fantastic games and while I haven't played the new God of War, I have only heard praise. I don't think they would boast the amount of content an open world action RPG of FFVII would have though. At least not if it is all being brought forward. Even FFXV which was truly massive, did not sport all of the things you could do in terms of travel and activities that FFVII potentially will.

I think a better question to ask though is if there is anything that could justify this being a 2 parter to you. What would this remake have to be for you to find 2 parts being justifiable? IS there anything?

It's been awhile since I've played ff7 so it's hard to picture parts of it but I have played 8 and 9 more recently so I understand that the locations and variety in terms of pure numbers Trump's a lot of modern games. And bringing all of those forward takes a load of time a resources

But games like Witcher and Mass Effect did it all for the price of a traditional AAA game.

What I struggle with is that they already have the wiriting and locations etc blueprint done. Obviously it's not a 1:1 recreation due to the fact it's just a full 3d environment vs 2d nature but the fact they don't have to actually start from the ground should take a lot of the "guess work" out of it.

But to answer your question I don't think there is. This whole project just seems crazy mismanaged and the only way to get this out alive and not cancelled is to break it up into two parts so they can charge twice and recoup their money. Their mismanagement shouldn't hurt my wallet.

If it was something that was easier to swallow like 2 $40 parts I'd be more willing to jump on board. Or even if I bought part 1 I got part 2 for $20 for being an early adopter of part 1.

Again this is all rumor at this point so might be bitching about nothing but I'll just say if it is true it feels like mismanagement of giving this to s group of devs who clearly werent capable of providing the vision they wanted, annoucning the game when it was meerly and an idea and not even I'm production, to breaking into episodes all seem like things that could of been avoided.

bigedole

It's been awhile since I've played ff7 so it's hard to picture parts of it but I have played 8 and 9 more recently so I understand that the locations and variety in terms of pure numbers Trump's a lot of modern games. And bringing all of those forward takes a load of time a resources

But games like Witcher and Mass Effect did it all for the price of a traditional AAA game.

What I struggle with is that they already have the wiriting and locations etc blueprint done. Obviously it's not a 1:1 recreation due to the fact it's just a full 3d environment vs 2d nature but the fact they don't have to actually start from the ground should take a lot of the "guess work" out of it.

But to answer your question I don't think there is. This whole project just seems crazy mismanaged and the only way to get this out alive and not cancelled is to break it up into two parts so they can charge twice and recoup their money. Their mismanagement shouldn't hurt my wallet.

If it was something that was easier to swallow like 2 $40 parts I'd be more willing to jump on board. Or even if I bought part 1 I got part 2 for $20 for being an early adopter of part 1.

Again this is all rumor at this point so might be bitching about nothing but I'll just say if it is true it feels like mismanagement of giving this to s group of devs who clearly werent capable of providing the vision they wanted, annoucning the game when it was meerly and an idea and not even I'm production, to breaking into episodes all seem like things that could of been avoided.

Do you have any support for the statement "This whole project just seems crazy mismanaged"? I haven't seen any reports offering anything substantive in that regard other than generic gameFAQs trolling. I can easily see them turning the game into two $60 worthy parts depending on how they handle the open/over world and the towns. We're getting a whole lot more than 2d drawings that our sprites run across this time around...

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Do you have any support for the statement "This whole project just seems crazy mismanaged"? I haven't seen any reports offering anything substantive in that regard other than generic gameFAQs trolling. I can easily see them turning the game into two $60 worthy parts depending on how they handle the open/over world and the towns. We're getting a whole lot more than 2d drawings that our sprites run across this time around...

I am on mobile at the moment but im fairly certain it was stated Cyber Connect 2 was working on the game for 2 years but then Square scrapped it and moved the development in house. I dont think that was ever "confirmed" that they scrapped what CC2 created but it was confirmed its no longer a collaboration.

There was also the blunder that was Nomura didnt know he was making the game when it was announced. LIke...what.

Enix also added a new co director just recently which seems like something that shouldnt be happening 4 years after a game was announced.

It feels like Enix either didn't know what they were getting into or underestimated what this would take to happen.

When im not on mobile ill find links.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
FF7 really is a one-off in the history of the franchise, its a bridge title between the 16-bit sprite and playfield era and the polygonal 3D that replaced it, and as a result its a got a peculiarly expansive scope.

Basically when they were planning it out, it seems like they did so without regard for the sheer amount of time and effort it would entail. The final result is that its a pecular mixture of levels of detail and fidelity overall.

Consider that it contains a ton of remarkably high quality CG for its time, whilst simultaneously containing arcadey sections that are sketched out with simple untextured (gouraud shaded) 3d graphics. It uses a large number of detailed pre-rendered backdrops, but switches to simple box-room 3d stages for its combat.

When you look at FF8 and everything after, you see a level of visual consistency that 7 is absolutely lacking. Its a literal collision between two phases in the history of game-dev.

The upside is of course that no other FF game has the sheer volume and variety of stuff in it that 7 does, but objectively you could not get away with the trade-offs in presentation quality today.

stickkidsam

I am on mobile at the moment but im fairly certain it was stated Cyber Connect 2 was working on the game for 2 years but then Square scrapped it and moved the development in house. I dont think that was ever "confirmed" that they scrapped what CC2 created but it was confirmed its no longer a collaboration.

There was also the blunder that was Nomura didnt know he was making the game when it was announced. LIke...what.

Enix also added a new co director just recently which seems like something that shouldnt be happening 4 years after a game was announced.

It feels like Enix either didn't know what they were getting into or underestimated what this would take to happen.

When im not on mobile ill find links.

This is a pretty decent run down of misconceptions surrounding the game. It's a good watch if you have 10 minutes to kill.

Dabaus

Banned
Square Enix division 1 has always Been involved with the production of this game. We’ve known it started preproduction in 2014. So do we know about how many employees division 1 has? That might tell us what to possibly expect?

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

This is a pretty decent run down of misconceptions surrounding the game. It's a good watch if you have 10 minutes to kill.

Not a bad video but there really isn't any concrete evidence, on either side really, that makes things more clear.

The video author is simply speculating the CC2 rumor has always supposed to go down as if enix was always supposed to take over the project. Which really doesn't make a lot of sense.

I don't think there's really any reason to dive into this since it's all rumors but game development doesn't really work that way from developers I've talked to over the years has never been described as a support studio holding the reigns until we can get back to it. Which is basically what the video creater describes. Seems a bit nuts to me but that's just my take.

I actually knew the whole misconception of the Nomura not knowing he was the director but forgot that it was not common knowledge that he was working on the game before hand.

But it still doesn't change the fact he didn't know he was the lead developer. How does that happen?

I'm not trying to say this game is in development hell at all but it's clear that somethings aren't going as planned. Will we ever really know? Maybe, but theres no way to say development has been smooth.

stickkidsam

I'm not trying to say this game is in development hell at all but it's clear that somethings aren't going as planned. Will we ever really know? Maybe, but theres no way to say development has been smooth.
As with all things we're just gonna have to wait and see how it turns out. We won't necessarily know how the development went, but at least we can know if it was worth it.

I miss making of documentaries... the Halo 2 special edition had one of my favorites.

D.Final

Banned
Rumor sounds plausible since there are smaller details that he describes (like GIL instead of a membership card and a new summon), anyway if the game does end in Aerith's death, it'll look like this:

Part 1:
The Reactor #1 raid
Sector 7: At the hideout
The second raid: Reactor #5
Cross dressing at Wall Market
Sewers, Train Graveyard, and Pillar Assault
Back in the slums
Raiding Shinra HQ!
Flashback at Kalm Town
Chocobo Ranch, the Marshes, and the Mythril Mines
Junon
Mount Corel
The Gold Saucer and Corel Prison
Gongaga Village
Cosmo Canyon & Cave of the Gi
Nibelheim & Shinra Mansion
Mount Nibel
Rocket Town
Wutai
The Temple of the Ancients
Bone Village, The Sleeping Forest & City of the Ancients

Part 2:
Coral Valley Cave & Icicle Inn
The Great Glacier
Gaea's Cliffs
Whirlwind Maze
Escape from Junon
Mideel
The Huge Materia: Corel and Fort Condor
Cloud at Mideel
The Underwater Reactor
The Gelnika
A Space Odyssey 1997
The Key to the Ancients + Diamond Weapon
Stopping Midgar's Cannon!
The Northern Crater

1/3 of Part 1 consists of Midgar already so I'm guessing Midgar is as big as FFXV Royal Edition Insomnia. Part 2 is definitely smaller but I get feeling they're revisiting many locations and adding new content.

Optional areas like Wutai can always be postponed to part 2, especially as they encompass a pretty big landmark.

I agree.
In fact, almost 100%, different areas of the game can be explored in the second part of the game.
(since in any case it will cover the whole section that will also cover the openworld postgame)

In addition, there will be multiple new areas, stories, and missions (both major and secondary) that will go deeper and explore the motivations, or the past, of many characters.
Like the Avalances.

And among the new areas, probably, there will also be entire new Midgar Sectors to explore.
(with lots of enemies, dialogues, cutscenes, events, and bosses, new and original)
[and probably with new summon and new secret Bosses]

D.Final

Banned
It seems that this particularly rich rumor has turned out to be false.
(apparently created by a Troll on Reddit, looking for notoriety and views............)

But despite these false rumors, I am still quite confident, and excited, about Final Fantasy VII Remake.
And on how many excellent and interesting new things they have the possibility to add with this version of the game :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

Nickolaidas

As with all things we're just gonna have to wait and see how it turns out. We won't necessarily know how the development went, but at least we can know if it was worth it.

I miss making of documentaries... the Halo 2 special edition had one of my favorites.
I loved the one in Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance.

Psajdak

Banned
I don't know how much those rumors will end up being true, but I think there is no way this remakes won't have additional content, such as new items, summons, weapons, sidequests, locations, etc...

D.Final

Banned
It's eventually gonna summon every dollar from my wallet. Can't fucking wait to play this, assuming I don't die first.

There is a short time before E3 begins.
The time of reunion is near.
It's close and it's coming.

zvRnKWQ.gif

Top Bottom