• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Final Fantasy VIII Remaster might have voiceovers

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Apparently it seems like FFVIII’s official site has a source code indicating that the remaster might have voice acting, here’s the official site:

Widely beloved, FINAL FANTASY VIII casts unlikely heroes into a war to save the world. The military nation of Galbadia has declared war on the Dukedom of Dollet, who are left with no choice but to hire a mercenary force for their defense. Enter SeeD and its newest member: Squall Leonhart. Together with his friends, Squall joins Rinoa Heartilly, a member of a resistance group, on an adventure that holds the fate of their world in its balance. FINAL FANTASY VIII Remastered marks the 20th Anniversary of its original release with a complete visual refresh and brings the game’s classic story to modern platforms: Steam, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Nintendo Switch. With fully overhauled visuals, see your favorite characters come to life like never before! FINAL FANTASY VIII Remastered is an RPG, available in English and Japanese voiceover, and is also text localized into French, Italian, German and Spanish.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
It’s funny, because I can already hear how annoying Zell is.
Everybody outside Quistis was annoying though. EVERYBODY! The FFVIII demo was the most misleading demo ever lol. God I wish the game was more like it.

Psajdak

Banned
Who's the voice for Cloud?
1st voice actor from Ehrgeiz Arcade version.

2nd voice actor from Ehrgeiz PS version.

But ever since the Advent Children, Takahiro Sakurai was Cloud.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I can bet everyone will hate Selphie and Zell once they have voices. I can imagine Selphie = Vanille, Zell = Snow.

Silent Duck

Everybody outside Quistis was annoying though. EVERYBODY! The FFVIII demo was the most misleading demo ever lol. God I wish the game was more like it.
Squall has to be the most unlikeable character in the history of fiction. Makes Lightning look like a bundle of joy.

As long as Square gives us the option to shut the voices off, I’m good.

Last edited:

V2Tommy

I also hope that all these voice recordings eventually get reused in an eventual remake 14 years from now.

ULTROS!

No one wants a remake of FFVIII

FFVI on the other hand...

troll

Yumi

Casting couch for Squall.

Actor looks at script. Just says "Whatever..."

Director: "Ok, lets hear it."

Seriously though, if this is true it must just be for the c.g. parts right? Do we know if they are redoing the dialogue?

RPGCrazied

Interesting. Rumor has it this is also getting a physical version. Would seem a bit weird this get that and not 7 or 9.

Last edited:

ULTROS!

If it does then that would be... interesting. Then again I kinda doubt SE expected FFVII and FFIX remasters would do well.

It would be nice if we had an FFVII-FFIX collection on physical.

Psajdak

Banned
Some FFVIII voices currently:

Squall Leonhart

Rinoa Heartilly

Quistis Trepe

Selphie Tilmitt

Laguna Loire

Seifer Almasy

Ultimecia

1st voice actor from Ehrgeiz Arcade version.

2nd voice actor from Ehrgeiz PS version.

But ever since the Advent Children, Takahiro Sakurai was Cloud.

Thanks 👍👍👍 and sorry for the off topic.

I guess there is hope for the vocal parts be prettty good. At worse, it'll be epic... like Shenmue and we'll be making topics about it for the next 20 years. 😋🤣

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
That would definitely explain the "extra polish" they wanted to put on this title in addition to the updated visuals.

Hope it's true.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Am I weird for finding Edea more attractive than other female characters in this game?
Not at all
I guess this will change the game a bit from the silent movie presentation.
Funny enough I think FMV's didn't have spoken parts anyway so I guess this would be for in game cutscenes

Psajdak

Banned
... silent movie presentation...

I don't know, I always felt that text-only in old RPGs seemed more fitting, and ever more expressive, combined with background music.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I pretty much can recognize all of the japanese voice actors who gave their voices to characters from old school entries, some of whom "were silent" for years, and they are seriously great choices.

For Zidane Tribal from FFIX, even before I read it, I just knew he would be voiced by Romi Park, and I think I also predicted that Akira Ishida will be Kuja, or that Vivi will be voiced by Ikue Otani (Pikachu, Chopper, Mitsuhiko, Konohamaru)...

I do have to admit that before famous Kana Hanazawa was announced as Rinoa, that I always imagined Rinoa with more mature girl voice.

Who knows, I'll probably check this version out only after I again play FFVIII the good old way - PS1 + CRT; not sure how I'll feel about it since I'm used to text only, but it is cool that even that option exists.

Zephir

It'll be pretty weird to hear the character talk during gameplay and then deadly silent during CGI cutscenes, where they don't move their mouth or just leave them open

TGO

It'll be pretty weird to hear the character talk during gameplay and then deadly silent during CGI cutscenes, where they don't move their mouth or just leave them open
The cutscenes don't really have talking scenes, they was kinda designed that way.
It be interesting if they do add some stuff to them where possible.
But I think main storyline parts in game will likely have the voice overs while general stuff will remain text based.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
I don’t think this would be an improvement. Most JRPGs have crappy dialog, and that becomes 1000x more apparent when you hear it spoken out loud. And the cast of characters in VIII are either unlikeable douchebags or over-the-top zany goofballs. I’m really not interested in having them fully voice acted.

Star Ocean: Second Evolution (PSP remaster of Star Ocean 2) is a good example of spoken dialog making a game worse. I ended up hating Claude and Rena after being forced to head their inane, pointless dialog/commentary every time something significant happened.

TGO

I don’t think this would be an improvement. Most JRPGs have crappy dialog, and that becomes 1000x more apparent when you hear it spoken out loud. And the cast of characters in VIII are either unlikeable douchebags or over-the-top zany goofballs. I’m really not interested in having them fully voice acted.

Star Ocean: Second Evolution (PSP remaster of Star Ocean 2) is a good example of spoken dialog making a game worse. I ended up hating Claude and Rena after being forced to head their inane, pointless dialog/commentary every time something significant happened.
It'll probably by chance work the other way around for this.
A lot of the dialogue in FFVIII can be fix with the delivery of those lines.
Something that is lost in translation with text
Perhaps that's what they're trying to fix with having it voiced.
Not saying it will, but a decent delivery can change a lot with how you see the character rather then just reading it.

D.Final

Banned
If there is really a dubbing, I think it will be interesting to see how it could come.
(if necessary, potentially, it could also be readjusted in some situations and dialogues, if needed)

Top Bottom