• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

["Rumor"] Final Fantasy XV Delayed to November 29 [Up: Photo evidence]

When will Final Fantasy XV release?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, we got this huge double-sided marketing piece that's supposed to go out tomorrow. One side is Deus Ex, the other is Final Fantasy XV. The dates for both are huge on the bottom of each side.

The Final Fantasy one says in huge print

Can't take that as a confirmation 100% but we just got this thing two days ago and it's date to go out on the floor is tomorrow.

But who is "we"? Do you work for a gamestop?

Ydelnae

Ok, we got this huge double-sided marketing piece that's supposed to go out tomorrow. One side is Deus Ex, the other is Final Fantasy XV. The dates for both are huge on the bottom of each side.

Can't take that as a confirmation 100% but we just got this thing two days ago and it's date to go out on the floor is tomorrow.

If No Man's Sky has taught us anything, is that everything can be fixed with some stickers just before release.

They need to stick with the original release date. People who want it delayed are not even looking forward to the game. Be it delayed 2 months or a year, these people will never be happy and should just move onto FFXVI tbh

If No Man's Sky has taught us anything, is that everything can be fixed with some stickers just before release.
No Man's Sky also taught me to not trust what some shmoe GameStop employee says.

Never forget that moron on the subreddit who called dozens of GameStops to "disprove" Kotaku's scoop.

Dominator

F6B6D280-E9DE-422F-A0D5-B919B189D666_zpsz8mokw0q.jpg

Mik317

They need to stick with the original release date. People who want it delayed are not even looking forward to the game. Be it delayed 2 months or a year, these people will never be happy and should just move onto FFXVI tbh

or if its delayed they will be able to fix a few issues and smooth out things...in which everyone wins

Boke1879

I want it to be delayed because if there are technical issues with it then they need to be ironed out. Do you want a potentially buggy game just so they could hit the release date and have it trashed because of it?

I preordered the ultimate CE edition of the game. I'm looking forward to it. My most hyped game of the year no doubt. Delays suck. But if the end product is better I can't be against that. it happened to Uncharted 4. I think Deus Ex also got delayed quite a bit as well.

Pachinko

When this inevitably gets confirmed, I'd suggest people brace themselves for another delay, especially those who are taking this very poorly or are in denial.

November 29th is very close to the last viable day to launch a major retail game in the US. To me, this suggests the dev team asked for a time extension and were told this was the last time Square Enix felt they could reasonably launch this year, and that became the new date, instead of being driven by how much time they felt they needed.

If they're delaying now, and doing it past Black Friday, they will presumably cave and do it again if the game is still notably troubled. I get the sense they aren't willing to just cut their losses on this one.

yeah, November 29th probably won't be enough. I mean realistically no game is ever fully finished these days when they get shipped, they're simply too damn big now. This is why I say they should just rip the bandaid off fully , give us a big press release filled with a ton of spin and give the team the 6 months they probably need to finish the game off properly. I may have voted for March in the poll but honestly - delay it to May even.

There's probably a cost benefit analysis going on with square right now , releasing on September 30th will probably result in the game being buggy and unfinished (if it's even possible , perhaps they don't have a certified build yet) which will effect the scores handed out and probably be detrimental to sales. How detrimental ? I mean maybe it sells 1 million fewer units worldwide ? that's a 35 million dollar hit on revenue. A 2 month delay in comparison , will only cost maybe 3 million dollars in extra dev costs. A 6 month delay will be more obviously - maybe even 10 million dollars BUT the end result will be a better game which could lead to more copies sold.

My guess - just like last night - we'll get a pure business /spin announcement soon about the delay to November. Come September 30th we will get a new demo that showcases the actual game instead of simply a tech demo. It will be preforming much better than any previous trial. People will get excited again despite the 2 month delay.
Then, around the end of October when the game needs to go gold and pass cert , well instead I think we'll get another announcement that it's being pushed once more to ...2017 and most likely ? we won't even get a date. The internet will be furious , hype for the game will die out considerably and 2017 will roll over on the calendar. Sometime in January a big event will be announced. This even will be tentatively planned for sometime in February - the purpose ? it will a live streamed event similar to the 03/31/16 thing this year where the final trailer of the game will be showcased and it will be announced that it's gone gold, FFXV is actually , officially FINISHED. It will be out on March 24th , there will be an enhanced NEO mode where it runs at 1080p/30fps locked and some of the DLC planned for the game is now built right into the disc.

That's just my guess ... and the thing is , this release will actually land on time but the game still won't be 100% ready ... there will be at least a couple major patches that clean up a handful of remaining problems , one in May and another in September. Only after this game finally launches will we all move onto the 18 month hype train for Kingdom Hearts 3.

Squire

Banned
When this inevitably gets confirmed, I'd suggest people brace themselves for another delay, especially those who are taking this very poorly or are in denial.

November 29th is very close to the last viable day to launch a major retail game in the US. To me, this suggests the dev team asked for a time extension and were told this was the last time Square Enix felt they could reasonably launch this year, and that became the new date, instead of being driven by how much time they felt they needed.

If they're delaying now, and doing it past Black Friday, they will presumably cave and do it again if the game is still notably troubled. I get the sense they aren't willing to just cut their losses on this one.

I could see them pushing this into early 2017 honestly. They probably won't want to jeopardize their own sales, not only because of the other competition, but also because they will be releasing KH 2.8 a few weeks later.

Yeah, like Kusagiri sort of mentioned, any date between Thanksgoving and New Years is probably a death sentence.

Reminds me of when people said Tomb Raider wouldn't get affected by releasing alongside Fallout 4.

Is it really hard to imagine that people could be interested in more than one game at once, and would be forced to choose one over the other?

You responded to a post about JRPGs with AAA examples. Do people have to choose? Yes, plenty do. The market has seen this play out and struggled to react. It's why we had online passes and why we have season passes now. Games are expensive, on console especially.

Ketaya

Do we really think they would have sent out updated materials to GameStops already so that any shmuck could leak the new date before they have a chance to damage control it with their own announcement?

Come on people.

The rumor said they did, that's why we're having this leak.

wmlk

Do we really think they would have sent out updated materials to GameStops already so that any shmuck could leak the new date before they have a chance to damage control it with their own announcement?

Come on people.
To be fair, the timing is very close to Gamescom so SE wouldn't necessarily have to wait very long before making a statement of their own.

It makes absolutely 0 sense to send this, unless they decided it like a day or two ago. But then how would another GameStop have new material in such a short time? It doesn't make sense.

Ydelnae

Come on people.

If the marketing team had been told about the delay early this month, they wouldn't have send out this material to stores, though. If the delay is real, I think it's something that was decided not too long ago.

Come on people.
Not saying it can't still happen ofc, but they would be boned to advertise this heavy in-stores just to delay it

artsi

Come on people.

But the whole rumor is based on Gamestop stores supposedly receiving promotional materials with a November 29th date, lol.

Promotional materials with the new date have arrived at some GameStop stores with instructions that they are not to be put up until after Sunday, August 14th.

Kaizer

Banned

I feel exactly the same, it's why I said yesterday in this thread I wouldn't be surprised if this game ends up slipping to March 2017.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
But the whole rumor is based on Gamestop stores supposedly receiving promotional materials with a November 29th date, lol.

Yeah it doesn't make much sense now. Multiple gamestops across usa are displaying from today already the promo materials with 9.30 r.date.

If the marketing team had been told about the delay early this month, they wouldn't have send out this material to stores, though. If the delay is real, I think it's something that was decided not too long ago.

Yeah, there's two possibilities.

1. There is no delay.

2. There IS a delay. This poster having the older date is likely down to
- lengthy printing process for the poster
- lengthy shipping process to get it to the various Gamestops around the country
- Square Enix NA's marketing simply rolling with the previously announced date when commissioning the poster, only to then be told that SE Japan's developers are planning to delay it after it's too late to change anything.

Of course, because North America is so big, it's entirely possible not all Gamestops end up getting the same information at the same time too, or aren't always 100% in touch with each other, the execs may be keeping quiet, etc...

Basically, we know jack at this point. For all we know the game is out tomorrow. If there IS a delay though, it was definitely a relatively recent decision.

For the record I think the sources indicating the delay are credible enough that I believe them.

Squire

Banned
I the weird thing is that if it was decided very recently, is it likely that like one GameStop has access to new marketing stuff?

Who knows? Honestly, at this point I'm taking the temperature of certain posters here and taking Gematsu at their word that the delay is real. I've sort of cut GS out of the equation.

wmlk

Who knows? Honestly, at this point I'm taking the temperature of certain posters here and taking Gematsu at their word that the delay is real. I've sort of cut GS out of the equation.
Gematsu really is only trustworthy source here.

Feel like I'm missing something here. Are you saying you expect a leak or you don't?
I believe that there's a delay.

An old instructional video from the beginning of July and marketing materials presumably from the same time don't prove that the leak was wrong. All that indicates to me is that most GameStops haven't received their new materials because of shipping and printing times.

Ketaya

Why? This video is from July which suggests that this marketing material is actually old event though they are putting at the stores just now. The delay probably was decided a few days ago or something like that.

But why do some stores have order to put up these old materials and others apparently received new ones to be put up on the same day? Wouldn't they inform all stores to at least not put up the wrong ones they received just two days ago?
It just doesn't really make sense to me, but I'm not working in a store, so who knows.

Boke1879

I the weird thing is that if it was decided very recently, is it likely that like one GameStop has access to new marketing stuff?

Yea that's the odd thing. Maybe GS corporate knows more, but you'd think the GS stores would have the updated info if this rumor is to be believed. Either way we'll know Monday.

wmlk

An old instructional video from the beginning of July and marketing materials presumably from the same time don't prove that the leak was wrong. All that indicates to me is that most GameStops haven't received their new materials because of shipping and printing times.
They aren't from the same time. As a post above me mentions, this has the official Teen rating as well.

I think the only thing you can trust right now is Gematsu.

Squire

Banned
Gematsu really is only trustworthy source here.

Are they? I don't recall any major foul-ups. And like The Last One said, they've quite a bit of credibility to just throw away. The original source is reputable, too.

Yea that's the odd thing. Maybe GS corporate knows more, but you'd think the GS stores would have the updated info if this rumor is to be believed. Either way we'll know Monday.

Nah, you wouldn't. Because SE wants to make announcements about SE games, they don't want GS employees doing it.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest

And why a leaked source should get the news before important sellers like gamestop though? One would guess the first to know would be the partners they work with. Then the audience through games com.

Zedark

That is nice and hope-inducing, really didn't want it to be true.
Can I take this as 90% confirmation please?

But why do some stores have order to put up this old materials and others apparently received new ones to be put up on the same day? Wouldn't they inform all stores to at least not put up the wrong ones they received just two days ago?
It just doesn't really make sense to me, but I'm not working in a store, so who knows.

Yeah. it's hard to know. If Gematsu hadn't agreed with the website that started the rumor I would probably just have called it fake by now and be done with it. But I believe in Gematsu since their source was right about the 30/09 release date of the game.

Wow, this is so cool! O: Watched the whole assembly video.
I want one of those for my room. Where can I get one and what happens to this stuff after they are not needed anymore in stores?

And I agree, that video was actually cool. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom