• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

["Rumor"] Final Fantasy XV Delayed to November 29 [Up: Photo evidence]

When will Final Fantasy XV release?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Betty

Banned
Every year has had a Kingdom Hearts game so unless they bring out the III next year I don't see what else they can release.

Aside from a PS4 port of KH 1.5 & 2.5 I guess.

Toth

Are people forgetting that the release date was just one of many announcements at Uncovered? We got a bunch of trailers, Brotherhood + its first episode, Kingsglaive reveal + its cast, the airship... A single delay doesn't invalidate everything else that happened in the event as well as the effect it created on the game's buzz afterward.

Plus one of them's from the source that leaked the game's original release date.

I agree there but they also teased that the point of the event way back in August of last year was that the release date would be revealed at that event. Then to suddenly delay it just over a month away as the PR is picking up seems like it would be a worse move because of the panic and ridicule it would cause.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Sure, some of the effect is lost, but more importantly it was good marketing for FFXV. Just because the date would be different doesn't mean that Uncovered didn't do its job.
Yeah. They sold their damn Ultimate Editions lol ;)

chefbags

Every year has had a Kingdom Hearts game so unless they bring out the III next year I don't see what else they can release.

Aside from a PS4 port of KH 1.5 & 2.5 I guess.

I can totally see that as the reason to have KH3 in 2018 because Square.

From people calling their local Gamestop or actual journalist ?

Damn.. Why you gotta do him like that fam?
Baseball-Player-Tries-To-Hold-In-The-Laughter-During-Zoom.gif

It's really hard for me to understand why anyone would care more about the impact of a marketing event than about getting a game that's in the best shape possible.
Honestly I don't get it...fans are waiting for only this game alone or something? I want the game to come out and run well and play amazing, if t needs a delay to accomplish that so be it.

Uncharted was delayed, NMS, TLG (forever), Horizon, etc...was pretty meh on all of them. I can't remember the last time I was actually upset about something being delayed. It's too improve something I'm looking forward to, what there to be angry about. Can't even say I'm disappointed because there's just so much other stuff to play.

Arkeband

Banned
Definitely.

Honestly I do feel a bit bummed that the game's been delayed, but Tabata/SE made the right decision.

Wonder how SE are gonna handle the announcement.

Clumsily.

And it's not about getting a better product, because for all we know it could still suck, the point is that there's a level of incompetence when a studio says a game will ship on X date and then only a little over a month out go "lol whoops it's still unfinished". If anyone thinks they're pushing a game back two whole months for "polish" you're deluding yourself.

wmlk

Definitely.

Honestly I do feel a bit bummed that the game's been delayed, but Tabata/SE made the right decision.

Wonder how SE are gonna handle the announcement.
You release a kickass trailer like the Uncovered one and put the new date at the end. Release a short PR statement afterwards. That's honestly the best way to do it. Gamescom is close so maybe they waited for that.

artsi

If it happened:

I think the best to do is announce the delay tomorrow (as per the Gamestop marketing release date), and then show a kickass reel of stuff at Gamescom to get a boost of good PR again.

With Persona 5 they released the best trailer ever and then people still felt negative after that, because it also contained the delay date in the end.

Heartfyre

From people calling their local Gamestop or actual journalist ?

Gamenesia are journalists now? Besides, they explicitly mention Gamestop themselves. I don't know the sources these other sites are reporting on, since they only name them as "sources".

The Gematsu source is the most reliable one, currently. Yet there's conflicting reports, as I said. Anyone taking the news as fact may be right, but they're still fools.

I get that this game had some unflattering demos, but a delay doesn't mean it is going to be a shit game. How many Zelda games have gotten delayed and turned out great?

Really surprised at the intensity of the negativity.

wmlk

I get that this game had some unflattering demos, but a delay doesn't mean it is going to be a shit game. How many Zelda games have gotten delayed and turned out great?

It's only for this game. For every other game the general sentiment has been to take their time and make the best game they could make. Let's not pretend that people want this game to succeed anymore.

Izana

Neo Member

Exactly lol it's the opposite (with some exceptions, I suppose...). A delay means the team are serious enough to polish.

XV's pretty much done, so I imagine it's just severe bugs that are bringing the game down. This isn't about finishing the game, it's about polishing it.

Zedark

The intense negativity is nothing new, really. This rumour is just a pretext to employ it once again.

I agree there but they also teased that the point of the event way back in August of last year was that the release date would be revealed at that event. Then to suddenly delay it just over a month away as the PR is picking up seems like it would be a worse move because of the panic and ridicule it would cause.

Right, and they announced the release date that they had at the time.

I don't understand why this is a big deal. It's not as if they lied about the date. Does anyone think Tabata and co. are happy that they don't think they can make it, after such a high-profile and scrutinized reveal? In game development, stuff happens. Too often are there last-minute technical problems that screw everything up. Rare didn't have enough time to fix a game-breaking bug in Donkey Kong 64, so they were forced to include an expansion pak with every copy of the game. Game development is beyond unpredictable. Shit happens. Would anyone really prefer it comes out early but unpolished, solely to live up to an arbitrary promise, when with a trivial amount of time they can have everything fine and dandy?

Just a couple years ago, when Assassin's Creed and other such games came out glitched to hell and back, they were demolished by the game community because the companies were too prideful to just delay the game until they could have everything ironed out. SE are doing this specifically because they know the damage caused by a shoddy game is worse than the damage caused by telling people that patience is a virtue. It's clear which is the lesser of two evils.

BumRush

I'll be playing Mankind Divided anyway. A couple more months in the oven can only mean a better product.

I was incredibly underwhelmed by the platinum demo, but I thought it had the framework to be good.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
When this inevitably gets confirmed, I'd suggest people brace themselves for another delay, especially those who are taking this very poorly or are in denial.

November 29th is very close to the last viable day to launch a major retail game in the US. To me, this suggests the dev team asked for a time extension and were told this was the last time Square Enix felt they could reasonably launch this year, and that became the new date, instead of being driven by how much time they felt they needed.

If they're delaying now, and doing it past Black Friday, they will presumably cave and do it again if the game is still notably troubled. I get the sense they aren't willing to just cut their losses on this one.

Lynx_7

Mixed feelings about this, but if it means DQ VII and SMT IV:Apocalypse won't get crushed in September then I'm all for it tbh. September was waaaay too stacked anyway so this might actually be a good thing
for me.

I could see them pushing this into early 2017 honestly. They probably won't want to jeopardize their own sales, not only because of the other competition, but also because they will be releasing KH 2.8 a few weeks later.

Nerokis

And it's not about getting a better product, because for all we know it could still suck, the point is that there's a level of incompetence when a studio says a game will ship on X date and then only a little over a month out go "lol whoops it's still unfinished". If anyone thinks they're pushing a game back two whole months for "polish" you're deluding yourself.

I don't understand a single part of this paragraph.

1). Games aren't shipped on their announced date all the time. The number of factors that could be behind this are varied enough that assuming "a level of incompetence" is a bit of a stretch. I mean, if we're just considering the delay. :p

2). Two months isn't that long. Polish and optimization take up a significant stretch of development time, and for all we know, two months isn't even going to be long enough to take the game where it should be in those terms alone. There's nothing about the timing that implies "delusion" on those speculating the game is being pushed out further for polishing purposes.

wmlk

Mixed feelings about this, but if it means DQ VII and SMT IV:Apocalypse won't get crushed in September then I'm all for it tbh. September was waaaay too stacked anyway so this might actually be a good thing
for me.
Why would they get crushed? Those games will be purchased by their respective fanbases. That's not changing if FFXV is delayed.

Lynx_7

Why would they get crushed? Those games will be purchased by their respective fanbases. That's not changing if FFXV is delayed.

Because I don't think it's unreasonable to expect an overlap in their fanbases. I know I certainly would've had to delay my purchase of something if XV were/is to release on September. Probably Apocalypse.

wmlk

Clumsily.

Of course we're delusional. They're probably just delaying the game by two months just because they feel like it. It most certainly has nothing to do with the game they're developing. Maybe Matsuda asked Pao and this was the answer. Could be anything, but most certainly not for polishing! Nope, that one makes too much sense.

Ceravic

It's really hard for me to understand why anyone would care more about the impact of a marketing event than about getting a game that's in the best shape possible.

I agree with you. It sucks I have to push my time off I was going to take back two months if this is true, but if it means the difference between the game being decent or being a total mess, I'll take two months every time. Hell, might even buy a Neo now.

wmlk

Because I don't think it's unreasonable to expect an overlap in their fanbases. I know I certainly would've had to delay my purchase of something if XV were/is to release on September. Probably Apocalypse.
Eh, don't think there's much overlap. You're right those games may get a boost, but I don't imagine it being that much. If it was Persona it'd be a different story. It's great that Atlus gets some breathing room in Japan.

Risev1

Reminds me of when people said Tomb Raider wouldn't get affected by releasing alongside Fallout 4.

Is it really hard to imagine that people could be interested in more than one game at once, and would be forced to choose one over the other?

wmlk

Reminds me of when people said Tomb Raider wouldn't get affected by releasing alongside Fallout 4.

Is it really hard to imagine that people could be interested in more than one game at once, and would be forced to choose one over the other?
No.

Boke1879

When this inevitably gets confirmed, I'd suggest people brace themselves for another delay, especially those who are taking this very poorly or are in denial.

November 29th is very close to the last viable day to launch a major retail game in the US. To me, this suggests the dev team asked for a time extension and were told this was the last time Square Enix felt they could reasonably launch this year, and that became the new date, instead of being driven by how much time they felt they needed.

If they're delaying now, and doing it past Black Friday, they will presumably cave and do it again if the game is still notably troubled. I get the sense they aren't willing to just cut their losses on this one.

Agreed. I can see this being pushed into next year, and I'd be happier for the game if it needs it. Like you said. It doesn't seem like they want to cut their losses for this game. They truly want it to be something special and don't want it marred by technical issues of all things.

Mediking

Just a shame Uncovered didn't show 2017....

Dominator

Ok, we got this huge double-sided marketing piece that's supposed to go out tomorrow. One side is Deus Ex, the other is Final Fantasy XV. The dates for both are huge on the bottom of each side.

The Final Fantasy one says in huge print

Can't take that as a confirmation 100% but we just got this thing two days ago and it's date to go out on the floor is tomorrow.

TheTux

Ok, we got this huge double-sided marketing piece that's supposed to go out tomorrow. One side is Deus Ex, the other is Final Fantasy XV. The dates for both are huge on the bottom of each side.

Can't take that as a confirmation 100% but we just got this thing two days ago and it's date to go out on the floor is tomorrow.

Hope

artsi

Yeah, I'm on this train. Not that I would cry for a 2 month delay, but I just don't believe it (for now).

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom