• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Final Fantasy XV slated for June - by Amazon Japan.

Tagg9

Isn't June 1st the start of a quarter, or some other financial milestone? Seems like a random estimate to me.

Turin

Banned
From a sales expectations standpoint, no.

The usual FF ballpark of 5-7 million, whilst very, very respectable, doesn't get the series a seat at the big boys table.

The series has been stunted for a while.

It still seems plausible that they could get a seat eventually. Not with XV though. Maybe not even VIIR.

KupoNut

They've said on the FFXV forums that the second half of the game still has to be polished, and only the groundwork for the game's features is implemented as of October. Some features still need to be implemented and there is still some work to do. There's also the matter of outsourcing work, wanting a worldwide release and the Avalanche partnership.

If the game is releasing in June, they'd only have a little under 6 months to get the game completed, starting from October and taking into account holidays and QA testing, rating, certification and distribution, and I don't think that's enough.

Personally I think, and I've heard likewise, that Square has a window for releasing it but can hasten or delay that release, depending on other big RPGs releasing at the same time, and maybe the results of that poll they did.

So I guess something like "Persona 5 doesn't release in August, we'll release the game then and add some things through DLC later" or "Persona 5 releases in August, so we'll release in October with airships, Moogles and all the additional content included"

Releasing two mammoth JRPGs within such a short window sounds like a disaster.

JRPG fans will mostly flock to a new FF game.

Persona is niche, even within a niche genre :/

An international million-seller in a genre with games that frequently don't break 100k is niche now?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
An international million-seller in a genre with games that frequently don't break 100k is niche now?

By retail standards, yeah.

There are smaller niches, but that doesn't make this a mass market title. You couldn't get greenlit at many publishers without three times those sales.

I mean on GAF persona is pretty popular, but let's be real, as far as mainstream gaming taste and mindshare goes, P5 would be absolutely slaughtered if it released next to FFXV.

P4 may have done a bit under a million (wasn't it around 700k-800k last I checked? Ps2 figures?) but that's probably around a fraction of the worst-selling internationally-released FF. And even then it doesn't seem too much of a stretch to say Persona 4 is an anomaly as far as its series (and arguably Atlus games in general) goes, even taking mainline SMT into account.

RK128

They DID tell us the game was content complete I think.....maybe August/September. So all that is left is bug testing, polishing, refining some mechanics to be better balanced and pushing the game to hit gold for Late April/Early May.

This releasing before E3 will be huge and would be one hell of a way to kick off summer. Hopefully this rumor/leak is true and that we can finally play FFXV early June :).

Ironically, my birthday is June 1st and I will likely get my PS4 around Late May-Mid June. THIS, one of the games I wanted to get with my PS4 releasing not long after I got my PS4? Talk about a huge win XD! Ratchet, Tearaway Unfolded, Uncharted 4 and FFXV; one hell of a line up of games to play out of the box :').

Atlus USA was sure that P5 was going to come out close to the Japanese release before the delay. I think a simultaneous P5 release is more likely than not. And lol @ FF15 hurting P5, both games will EAT.

Atlus USA was sure that P5 was going to come out close to the Japanese release before the delay. I think a simultaneous P5 release is more likely than not. And lol @ FF15 hurting P5, both games will EAT.

Back when the game was first announced I remember the comment from Atlus was "Winter 2014 in Japan, 2015 in North America", so a staggered release is probably not too out of the cards. Simultaneous worldwide would be great too though, absolutely. December/Late November seemed to work out pretty well for Persona Q, Golden, and 4 itself, so I wouldn't be surprised if they release P5 then in NA so it's clear from the holiday rush.

And yeah, P5 fans aren't likely to skip that game in favour of XV, but I do think that it's kind of a given that if one game were to move first, it's going to be the smaller one. The loss of potential casual mindshare, however small, isn't worth staying stagnant in your niche of pre-existing fans.

That said I do want to emphasize I don't believe this listing too much and will be really surprised if XV launches before the holidays. I don't think both games will launch simultaneously everywhere.

Famassu

Doesn't seem completely impossible. IIRC FFXIII's release date was announced in September 2009 for December 2009, so announcing FFXV for June 2016 in March 2016 with only 3 months of intense marketing isn't totally unheard of for a much delayed FF production.

RK128

Regarding Persona 5's release, I'm guessing Japan will get it first with it coming out sometime in July while its western release is sometime in November/December.

I hope the Japan version has English subtitles or something, so that way we don't have to wait longer for the game, just import the title and read the English subtitles. Bamco does this for a lot of games (SAO Hollow Fragment, SAO Lost Song and other titles released in Asia with English subtitles months before they made their way to NA and EU), so I hope Atlus does it for P5 too.

I feel like the main reason I doubt FFXV is coming in June is because SE have so much else on their plate, what else would they have in between?

XV's supposed to be huge in terms of content, anticipation, mindshare, etc. Games like Star Ocean (outside Japan), World of FF, Nier 2, to a typical gamer those work best as "appetizers" with XV as a holiday game. I dunno if SE want those games to be buried because people are too busy playing XV.

If XV comes out sometime before the holidays then that leaves Dragon Quest XI and Kingdom Hearts III as potential holiday heavyhitters. DQ I feel is likely for late 2016. I used to think KH could hypothetically make it out next year, but since the announcement of 2.8 as a "buildup" to it which is a confirmed '16 release, I'm starting to think it's going to be early 2017.

Basically I think XV works best as an end-of-the-year "finishing touch, big holiday seller" with plenty of promotion at E3, Gamescom, and TGS, than being dropped randomly in the middle of the year.

Just me speculating though.

RK128

I feel like the main reason I doubt FFXV is coming in June is because SE have so much else on their plate, what else would they have in between?

XV's supposed to be huge in terms of content, anticipation, mindshare, etc. Games like Star Ocean (outside Japan), World of FF, Nier 2, to a typical gamer those work best as "appetizers" with XV as a holiday game. I dunno if SE want those games to be buried because people are too busy playing XV.

If XV comes out sometime before the holidays then that leaves Dragon Quest XI and Kingdom Hearts III as potential holiday heavyhitters. DQ I feel is likely for late 2016 but Kingdom Hearts is likely 2017, since the 2.8 teaser is already set for next year.

Just me speculating though.

Just from a NA/EU stand point, I feel that the release dates for Square's line up will be like this:
-Jan: FF Explorers
-Feb: Hitman (I think)
-March: Bravely Second & Project Susanta
-April: Dragon Quest Builders
-May: Dragon Quest VII 3DS
-June: Star Ocean
-July: Deus Ex & World of Final Fantasy
-August: Dragon Quest VIII 3DS
-September: Neir 2
-October: PS4 Version of RotTR
-November: Final Fantasy XV
-December: Kingdom Hearts II.8 HD

Dragon Quest XI and Kingdom Hearts 3 are squarely 2017 titles for NA/EU and I feel that their 2017 NA/EU release line up will be this:
-Jan/Feb/March: Dragon Quest XI
-April/May: Dragon Quest Heroes 2
-June/July: Kingdom Hearts 3
-August: (Rumored Game) Final Fantasy XII HD
-September/October: Final Fantasy VII Remake

Mediking

Can't wait to see Cidney, Luna, and the black haired woman that's always by Luna.

Just please have good writing and voice acting!!! FF XV HYPE!!!!

Nomura GAF and P5 GAF know.
Have you seen the amazing menus of Persona 5?

3854582_o.gif

Not again

This is all well and good but I still think this game won't live up to expectations due to the constant changes/reworking and possibly cut content, like airships and playable characters. Also I have no faith in Tabata and Square

Over the past year, I've been seeing this "Persona is a big franchise" sentiment on GAF quite a lot. You're mistaken. It's not that big. Sure, it can rack up around 800k-1m sales worldwide, but it's definitely a niche title, and by no means is it mass market.

I think you, and many people on this board are seriously over exaggerating the appeal of Persona. It sells a lot, within a very specific target demographic. Outside of that, most people don't even know what it is, and will never "Get" what it is either. It pales in comparison to Final Fantasy, but that goes without saying.

Also, I can't see this coming out in June. September earliest is my bet, mainly because I think Star Ocean 5 will be a June title in the west, and I don't think SE would go to all the trouble to finally make another Star Ocean console game and release it smack bang in the middle of the run up to FFXV's launch. Makes no sense and I doubt they're that stupid.

notaskwid

Cmon guys, i'm just making fun of it.
That general sentiment that I feel from some people on GAF that P5 will be the second coming and that FFXV will be terrible no matter what is ridiculous.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Persona 5 looks more interesting to me than past entries, at least, but I'm just not a fan of school settings. I'm hoping the darker, more 3-like atmosphere peppers in some zest for me. I'll probably pick it up, but the core monster-building of Persona 4 kind of bored me and the social links were hit-or-miss. Shrug. Different strokes.

Kagari's post told me all I need to know re: FFXV. :p I'm going back to an October or November release phase now.

This is all well and good but I still think this game won't live up to expectations due to the constant changes/reworking and possibly cut content, like airships and playable characters. Also I have no faith in Tabata and Square

Meh, it's P5 that has the (deservedly) high expectations. Most FFXV threads are pretty negative.

Sou Da

Persona 5 looks more interesting to me than past entries, at least, but I'm just not a fan of school settings. I'm hoping the darker, more 3-like atmosphere peppers in some zest for me. I'll probably pick it up, but the core monster-building of Persona 4 kind of bored me and the social links were hit-or-miss. Shrug. Different strokes.

Kagari's post told me all I need to know re: FFXV. :p I'm going back to an October or November release phase now.

Dead on for me, they really need to move to a new setting.

Or at the very least turn things on their head with a new dynamic. Persona with a schoolteacher MC.

RK128

Meh, it's P5 that has the (deservedly) high expectations. Most FFXV threads are pretty negative.

Past Persona games were all very strong (even the spin-offs) while the FF brand got badly damaged last generation with the FFXIII series. Thankfully FFXIV is a great MMO and spin-offs in the series like World of FF and FF Explorers look promising, so that should be a strong sign of the series returning back to the quality that FFX and FFXII had.

hal9001

Banned
I think they should take time to polish it. Seems a bit soon. We've waited long enough, we can wait a little more to to fully do it justice.

I really don't want to be negative about this game but after waiting 10 years and seeing what they've done with it, my hype is pretty flaccid. The whole FFVII Remake being split into multiple "episodes" and this game being delayed so long makes me think Square is just putting out this game to make a quick buck. Shows a lack of central leadership and direction to me

RK128

And it's pretty boring at this point. It's pretty obvious the game is coming out in 2016 for example, but that doesn't stop the drive by "so, 2020?" posts. It's an old and tired joke.

The game IS coming out in 2016 though; the game is content complete and all that is left is bug testing, polishing up mechanics and the like. I could see it being a summer release but Square likely doesn't want to rush the title and because of that, it will land in the fall where it has more room to breath.

Top Bottom