• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

Rumor for now: Firmware 2.4's XMB features revealed

Dragon

Banned
Jul 7, 2007
24,878
0
0
Steroyd said:
Nothing about a Freindlist increase?

This update automatically fails if it doesn't.

Nothing about monkeys doing it doggy style?

This update automatically fails.
 
Jan 8, 2008
1,792
0
890
Toronto
dose said:
Those images are no doubt fakes. The 2nd one was released to apparently back up the 1st one to confirm it was real. But they both look different. The rounded corners aren't the same, and the blue circles aren't. Plus they both look as bare as shit.

They were the first images of any XMB related upgrades that I hoped were fake. I agree, they look like crap. As for the functionality itself, it could work well or not so much. Nobody can possibly say.

Anyway. I'm hoping for a mass mailing of in-game-xmb shirts to all registered PS3 owners any day now... not that I'd ever wear such a thing in public.
 

anachronous_one

Prologue Type S Alpha
Oct 11, 2005
1,932
0
0
g35twinturbo said:
I heard there may be clan stuff.......
I'd love if that were true ... that certainly would be beating MS to the punch, so to speak. How long have people been expecting that to come to XBL? Seems like it's rumored to be in nearly every update. It's about damn time that clan support make it to both PSN and XBL.
 

Mmmkay

Member
Aug 13, 2005
5,332
0
0
dose said:
Those images are no doubt fakes. The 2nd one was released to apparently back up the 1st one to confirm it was real. But they both look different. The rounded corners aren't the same, and the blue circles aren't. Plus they both look as bare as shit.
It may not be the interfaces looking different, if you compare the 'O Back' text at the bottom (which is part of the XMB), it's horribly scaled on the top picture. That suggests the trophy image has been mangled either by a crappy TV or from the user who took the photo.
 

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Jun 8, 2004
28,318
2
0
acevans2 said:
Wait, it has real custom soundtracks? From the way it reads, it sounds like your music takes the place of the game music, and you still get Sound FX? If so: amazing. If not: sux
Far from it. All it needs to do is let you mix your MP3 playback sound with whatever the game is outputting. The number of games that do not allow you to control the volume of their integrated music is marginal. All you do then is turn the in-game music volume to 0, and start playing your own MP3s.
 

Marty Chinn

Member
Jun 6, 2004
31,449
0
1,585
dose said:
Those images are no doubt fakes. The 2nd one was released to apparently back up the 1st one to confirm it was real. But they both look different. The rounded corners aren't the same, and the blue circles aren't. Plus they both look as bare as shit.

:lol :lol
 

theBishop

Banned
Nov 26, 2006
17,207
0
0
Marconelly said:
Far from it. All it needs to do is let you mix your MP3 playback sound with whatever the game is outputting. The number of games that do not allow you to control the volume of their integrated music is marginal. All you do then is turn the in-game music volume to 0, and start playing your own MP3s.

*

The bigger question is whether it will support DLNA during games. I don't keep any music on the actual HDD, its all streamed.
 
Jan 8, 2008
1,792
0
890
Toronto
theBishop said:
*

The bigger question is whether it will support DLNA during games. I don't keep any music on the actual HDD, its all streamed.

++

I don't keep any media on the PS3 and don't want to have to start picking and choosing subsets from my main store to take advantage of things like this. It'll be like deciding what music to put on your MP3 player before a trip all over again.
 

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Sep 18, 2004
9,218
0
1,620
www.youtube.com
makingmusic476 said:
"Manage Bluetooth devices"

Please be true. Maybe I can finally get my headset working with MGO. It works just fine with Warhawk. :|
You have to hold down select until your mic icon pops up.
 

Raistlin

Post Count: 9999
Jun 17, 2004
44,490
1
0
* please have FLAC as a stealth update ... *
* please have FLAC as a stealth update ... *
* please have FLAC as a stealth update ... *
* please have FLAC as a stealth update ... *
* please have FLAC as a stealth update ... *
* please have FLAC as a stealth update ... *
* please have FLAC as a stealth update ... *
* please have FLAC as a stealth update ... *
* please have FLAC as a stealth update ... *
* please have FLAC as a stealth update ... *
* please have FLAC as a stealth update ... *
* please have FLAC as a stealth update ... *
* please have FLAC as a stealth update ... *
* please have FLAC as a stealth update ... *
* please have FLAC as a stealth update ... *
* please have FLAC as a stealth update ... *
* please have FLAC as a stealth update ... *
* please have FLAC as a stealth update ... *
* please have FLAC as a stealth update ... *
* please have FLAC as a stealth update ... *
* please have FLAC as a stealth update ... *
* please have FLAC as a stealth update ... *
* please have FLAC as a stealth update ... *
* please have FLAC as a stealth update ... *
* please have FLAC as a stealth update ... *
* please have FLAC as a stealth update ... *
* please have FLAC as a stealth update ... *
* please have FLAC as a stealth update ... *
 

RoH

Member
Nov 6, 2004
1,058
1
1,405
USA
dose said:
Those images are no doubt fakes. The 2nd one was released to apparently back up the 1st one to confirm it was real. But they both look different. The rounded corners aren't the same, and the blue circles aren't. Plus they both look as bare as shit.

I believe when it was posted the first image was taken from a PC monitor and the second was a confirmation image or something like that. At least its not blurry :lol
 

Kazenone

Member
Sep 11, 2006
1,652
0
1,270
sykoex said:
You have to hold down select until your mic icon pops up.

Not sure if he means this; but if you have registered your Bluetooth headset but it's turned off, you can load up Warhawk - turn it on and it'll be recognized in the game. With MGO, you have to turn on your Headset before you load up the game. I keep forgetting to do this, and end up playing with the keyboard.
 
Apr 14, 2008
10,656
1
0
New Orleans
Kazenone said:
Not sure if he means this; but if you have registered your Bluetooth headset but it's turned off, you can load up Warhawk - turn it on and it'll be recognized in the game. With MGO, you have to turn on your Headset before you load up the game. I keep forgetting to do this, and end up playing with the keyboard.
Maybe that's my problem. I usually turn it on before I start up MGO, but the couple of times I tried the select thing I turned on the mic AFTER I started MGO.

At least I think.

Thanks for the help guys. I'll definitely try it next time I get on. :)
 
Dec 20, 2007
2,729
0
0
Toronto
ScrabbleBanshee said:
++

I don't keep any media on the PS3 and don't want to have to start picking and choosing subsets from my main store to take advantage of things like this. It'll be like deciding what music to put on your MP3 player before a trip all over again.


I seriously hope SONY is not dumb enough to waste system memory on this DNLA support during games... they have given you, the user, option to copy your music videos and photos for that matter on the hard drive... USE IT
 

theBishop

Banned
Nov 26, 2006
17,207
0
0
Unregistered007 said:
I seriously hope SONY is not dumb enough to waste system memory on this DNLA support during games... they have given you, the user, option to copy your music videos and photos for that matter on the hard drive... USE IT

(neutral) Unregistered007
Features are overrated.
(Today, 04:08 PM)
Reply | Quote
 

RoH

Member
Nov 6, 2004
1,058
1
1,405
USA
ScrabbleBanshee said:
++

I don't keep any media on the PS3 and don't want to have to start picking and choosing subsets from my main store to take advantage of things like this. It'll be like deciding what music to put on your MP3 player before a trip all over again.

Would be nice but its not a deal breakers, I copy what I need down and create custom play-list's for games that support its; SSDHD FTW!
 

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Apr 26, 2006
44,935
568
1,850
California
www.squackle.com
Unregistered007 said:
I seriously hope SONY is not dumb enough to waste system memory on this DNLA support during games... they have given you, the user, option to copy your music videos and photos for that matter on the hard drive... USE IT


except i like to use my hard drive for the actual games since games actually need hard drive space to save and install.
 
Sep 11, 2007
9,549
0
0






new screens.

Why is the top one have 4 tabs instead of 3?
 

Ploid 3.0

Member
Jun 6, 2004
28,300
4
1,510
a Master Ninja said:
Trophy Grinders are the new Achievement Whores.

I'll grind those trophies too if each level unlock something like PSN credit, or stuff in home (like it was suggested in early home demonstrations). The thing I don't like about the whole collect lots of achievement points is there are no perks for getting them, other than bragging about how many you have. Give me a Qore episode for hitting level 2, or a free movie rental (when that service is up) for hitting level 6 and I'll see a reason to collect. Other than games themselves rewarding you for unlocking trophies like MGS, Uncharted, Ratchet and clank, and Resistance do now. In game rewards are better, but add in the level rewards on the PSN side and it's a great +.

Gaining levels in rpgs, or games like COD4 is worthless if you don't get anything out of it. Add perks, and new abilities and then you have a reason to grind.
 

Don

Member
Mar 23, 2008
1,646
0
0
Northern Ireland
It looks like the one with 4 is a friends profile as the buttons under it looks like the icons for sending a message and adding/blocking a friend.
 

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Jun 8, 2004
21,854
2
0
g35twinturbo said:
I heard there may be clan stuff.......
What exactly would that even entail? Every game handles clans differently - different clan membership maxes, different rules for retention, etc.

Evander said:
I'm not sure how I feel about that.
I don't care about trophies or achievements either way. I just find it darkly funny that they basically came up with something that's going to mean more work for developers most likely just for the sake of distinguishing from MS. Talk about tug of war.
 

Elios83

Member
Jun 30, 2004
15,245
2,225
1,770
I'm looking at the pictures for the first time. So if they are real is it safe to say that the Trophy system will be linked with the user profile giving your friends the possibility to look at the trophies and the rank you have reached in each game?
 

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Nov 8, 2006
14,488
0
1,325
Gardena,CA
nwestfield.smugmug.com
kaching said:
What exactly would that even entail? Every game handles clans differently - different clan membership maxes, different rules for retention, etc.

I don't care about trophies or achievements either way. I just find it darkly funny that they basically came up with something that's going to mean more work for developers most likely just for the sake of distinguishing from MS. Talk about tug of war.

Lets just say Sony has a pretty an interest in Clans and PSN.
 

Speevy

Banned
Jun 26, 2004
62,858
1
0
kaching said:
I don't care about trophies or achievements either way. I just find it darkly funny that they basically came up with something that's going to mean more work for developers most likely just for the sake of distinguishing from MS. Talk about tug of war.



I read this line of discussion earlier. Would it even be possible for developers to take (if trophies worked like this) something like "Kill 100 enemies." and just put the text there?

I mean, these are MS' development tools. Are we saying that Sony should have simply allowed exactly the same thing to pop up on your screen? We're already two years+ into this generation. Trophies will never be universal. I'm glad Sony is trying a unique approach.
 

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Jun 8, 2004
21,854
2
0
Speevy,

I'm not really criticizing Sony for taking a different approach. Credit where it's due, MS got here first and did so with a fairly respectable first-time implementation. But that doesn't mean there isn't room for different implementations.

Nonetheless, it means more work for developers who have to translate achievements to trophies and vice versa and how they weigh into gamerscore vs. "level" respectively. Not to mention the concern over having their trophies or achievements for a given game being lambasted by gamers for being too friendly to grinders/farmers.

It's just interesting watching the strange twists and turns of console oneupmanship.

g35twinturbo said:
Lets just say Sony has a pretty an interest in Clans and PSN.
Interesting.
 

ChibiRobusuta

Member
Jun 21, 2004
195
0
0
g35twinturbo said:
Lets just say Sony has a pretty an interest in Clans and PSN.

Clans have been a part of the NP toolset since 220, I believe. I don't think it's going to become a generic part of the XMB, though.
 

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Apr 26, 2006
44,935
568
1,850
California
www.squackle.com
kaching said:
Speevy,

I'm not really criticizing Sony for taking a different approach. Credit where it's due, MS got here first and did so with a fairly respectable first-time implementation. But that doesn't mean there isn't room for different implementations.

Nonetheless, it means more work for developers who have to translate achievements to trophies and vice versa and how they weigh into gamerscore vs. "level" respectively. Not to mention the concern over having their trophies or achievements for a given game being lambasted by gamers for being too friendly to grinders/farmers.

It's just interesting watching the strange twists and turns of console oneupmanship.

Interesting.

isnt adding achievements in the first place more work for the developer too? why wouldn't the developer want to utilize the trophy system if it gave more perceived value to a consumer to buy the PS3 game?