• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor for now: Firmware 2.4's XMB features revealed

Tiduz

Eurogaime
Sorry if old.
Source: CVG

CVG has managed to get its grubby hands on the final list of features for the hotly anticipated Firmware 2.4 update, which was yesterday rumoured to be due early next week. But that's not the case we've been told...

Update: Since our original story went live, we've received further information regarding the inclusion of trophies in the 2.4 update. As expected full 2D trophy support will be in the XMB update and there will be four types: Bronze, Silver, Gold and Platinum.

Platinum is only awarded when you have collected all other trophies in a game. Also there are no gamer points, it's all done via a levelling up system. Think Call of Duty 4 levelling up system, we reckon. Update Out

Speaking under strict conditions of anonymity, a source has told CVG that Firmware 2.4 is expected to launch in around three weeks' time. A quick look at the diary reveals that E3 is just under three weeks away. It doesn't take a genius to see that Sony's pre-E3 conference would be the perfect time to launch the Sony XMB assault.

Announcing something and making it available at the same time is the way forward, as Microsoft proved by revealing Doom isn't just coming to Xbox Live Arcade, it's on Xbox Live Arcade a few E3s ago. Apple is known for this approach too.

We've also scooped the following list of XMB features that you'll be able to access in-game. Here goes:

* Friend category
* View, send, receive messages
* Manage downloads
* Set the vibration feature of the controller
* Sign in to PlayStation Network
* Register friends
* Manage Bluetooth devices
* Terminate the game
* Music category
* Use the system BGM
* Work the system BGM operation panel
* Settings category
* Assign controllers
* View profiles
* Game category
* Set audio devices
* Use the voice changer

As previously reported the update will also allow you to play back your own tunes in-game from the XMB Music column. It's unclear whether this feature will be compatible with all games or just new titles created with more recent development tools.

The system BGM will offer functions such as Play, Stop, Previous track, Next track, Change repeat mode, Change shuffle mode, Change volume (five levels). When you stop the playback of your tunes, playback of the game music will then begin.

Sony has yet to confirm or deny any of this and won't comment on rumour and speculation. If you ask us though, this is bang on the money. Not long to wait and see...

So in three weeks? So much for begin of july if true :( Still, will be awesome to finally communicate with others while ingame.

29xaln9.jpg

jpzakg.jpg

kuYuri

Plausible and the mention of 4 different types of trophies has also popped up before. But for now, I'll just wait on Eric Lempel to speak about fw 2.4 on the blog for the official word.

ravien56

Strider2K99 said:
Plausible and the mention of 4 different types of trophies has also popped up before. But for now, I'll just wait on Eric Lempel to speak about fw 2.4 on the blog for the official word.

which will probably happen a day before it comes out

I would like some extra graphical features when playing PS1 and PS2 games. I like smoothing but I want something that will clean up the textures.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I hope the bronze, silver, gold don't break down by levels of difficulty. That would be a very poor way of forcing replay on games.

Philthy

I'm trying to think what my Live will still do that XMB doesn't if all those changes go through.

Does the XMB let me rate people? I only have one friend on my PS3 and I don't think I ever saw an option.

I'm going to guess Microsoft will have to start offering Live for free really soon if this all works out as planned.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Honestly, all I care about is in-game access to my friends list/messaging, background downloading (it's about goddamn time), and trophies.

Slaylock

andydumi said:
I hope the bronze, silver, gold don't break down by levels of difficulty. That would be a very poor way of forcing replay on games.
I can't imagine it would mean anything else. Just like some Live achievements count for more points than others.

Madman

zesty said:
Honestly, all I care about is in-game access to my friends list/messaging, background downloading (it's about goddamn time), and trophies.
You know this has been out for a long time, right?

Firewire

Banned
Philthy said:
I'm trying to think what my Live will still do that XMB doesn't if all those changes go through.

Does the XMB let me rate people? I only have one friend on my PS3 and I don't think I ever saw an option.

I'm going to guess Microsoft will have to start offering Live for free really soon if this all works out as planned.

:lol

Sorry, but I don't think MS will give up that cash cow.

Amon37

You might as well throw the "leaked" screens in this thread. I can't link them because I"m at work.

Seems like a great list of features and what we have all been waiting for,

androvsky

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
I would like some extra graphical features when playing PS1 and PS2 games. I like smoothing but I want something that will clean up the textures.

Me too, but for PS2 games we're not likely to see that until there's a pure software emulator; since they're still using the PS2 GPU on all BC systems there's not a lot they can do with the render quality.

Don't know why there's no enhancements for the PS1 emulator though, beyond them worrying mainly about compatibility first. As far as I'm concerned, they can deal with that after they get the PS2 software emulator out.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
WasabiKing said:
except it's free, XBot
i knew i should have put this in op:
s3g5qd.gif

Amon37 said:
You might as well throw the "leaked" screens in this thread. I can't link them because I"m at work.

Seems like a great list of features and what we have all been waiting for,

consider it done.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
I wonder if the XMB will be accessible during PS1 and PS2 games. Anyone know?

Philthy

Firewire said:
:lol

Sorry, but I don't think MS will give up that cash cow.

Well, they're going to have to find a way for people who own both systems to have a reason to keep paying the subscription for it otherwise. If Sony can get this working, I see no reason for my Live subscription to renew this winter.

kaching said:
Trophy system sounds deliberately incompatible with 360 achievements. :lol
Yep. Are they suggesting an across the board level, like "I'm a Lvl. 18 PS3 gamer", or separated by game like "I'm only Lvl. 5 in Uncharted but I'm Lvl. 8 in MGS4"?

KZObsessed

andydumi said:

hmm well the way it says Platinum is only achieved when you've gotten all the trophies, I assumed it would be a % system. Bronze is awarded when you get 25% of the trophies up to Platinum for 100%.

edit: actually re-reading it, it sounds like it's saying you can only get Platinum once you've gotten all the Bronze, Silver and Gold trophies. So maybe it is a difficulty thing.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
the messaging is all i wanted, and the custom soundtracks is a god send...cant wait to play gt5 prologue with real music.

Philthy said:
Well, they're going to have to find a way for people who own both systems to have a reason to keep paying the subscription for it otherwise. If Sony can get this working, I see no reason for my Live subscription to renew this winter.

360 lineup will get plenty to renew.

(it should be free though)

Durante

xero273 said:
Isn't that what some people wanted anyway? I don't think that's a bad thing if it looks like XBL.
Correction: it's good if it has the same functionality as XBL. It would be bad (IMHO) if it actually looks like it. The XMB is about 500% more visually pleasing and professional than the "blades".

Firewire

Banned
Philthy said:

I wonder how many people share the same view as you. It would make for a real interesting poll question I would think.

I just don't think MS would be willing to cut that revenue stream, they just make to much money from it. I can see a reduction in the subscription fee if there was a serious drop in renewals or new sign ups though.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
TheWolf said:
and arriving two years later...

The console itself came out a year after 360, so try again. And its the first time sony is really supporting online, so whats your point? Trying to piss on the parade?

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Has there been any word on getting trophy updates to already released games? Or will it just be for future games. :( MGS4, DMC4, GTA4

Ermac said:
I wonder if the XMB will be accessible during PS1 and PS2 games. Anyone know?
PS1 ought to be quite possible, PS2 perhaps not yet. Apparently developer PS3 units that are running the firmware can't play DVDs or BRDs and perhaps not PS1/PS2, so we don't know for sure as far as I am aware.

My hope is that it'd be as universal as possible, but things like DVD/BRD/PS2 that sign you out of the PSN might also make it tough to run in-game XMB. I hope I'm wrong.

Epix

Shikamaru Ninja said:
Has there been any word on getting trophy updates to already released games? Or will it just be for future games. :( MGS4, DMC4, GTA4
It would be nice if the update would be able to read the saved game files from previous games and determine what trophies we've earned.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Slaylock said:
I can't imagine it would mean anything else. Just like some Live achievements count for more points than others.

No, I meant bronze trophies on the easy difficulty of the game, silver on medium and so forth.

But I think you are right. Just like some achievements are piece of cake, those will probably be the bronze trophies and so forth. I hope platinums are essentially game completion badges. Much like say the Game completion medals on Uncharted.

But I like the level system. I wonder if that will somehow be involved in Home and access to various things.

Kazenone

Shikamaru Ninja said:

Insomniac has mentioned they will not patch Resistance to include trophies. So it's down to the developer whether or not they release a patch. I would assume Sony try and get the big games to get them in (The usual suspects, GT5P, MGS4, Uncharted etc), and they should also push devs to put them in future games. Hopefully all will adopt.

Top Bottom