• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor for now: Firmware 2.4's XMB features revealed

AndyD

aka andydumi
Epix said:
It would be nice if the update would be able to read the saved game files from previous games and determine what trophies we've earned.

Only if there is a way to determine you actually played the game. I would hate a system where you can dl and complete save off the web to get the trophies.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
I've been collecting the trophies in Uncharted since I got it so I expect them to include it in that game, DMC4 I think will have it too since it's got the same achievements as the 360 version. I hope that assassins creed would get one too because of the flags, but we'll see either way all future games will have it and there's a bunch coming out. I wish they gave a trophy for resistance that was a tough campaign.

EDIT---the only downside will be that I will be enslaved to getting achievements/trophies on two systems and I'll have no time for any thing :D

mollipen

ZeroTolerance said:
Just as the announcements are coming, people are crying MOAR...Oh Gaf..:lol

And that's exactly how it should be. The moment I get the latest version of Mac OS X, I start looking for what WASN'T fixed or added, and start wanting those features from the next product. The day a company is perfectly happy with the quality of the product is the day you should stop purchasing said product, because nothing is ever finished/perfected.

Epix

shidoshi said:
And that's exactly how it should be. The moment I get the latest version of Mac OS X, I start looking for what WASN'T fixed or added, and start wanting those features from the next product. The day a company is perfectly happy with the quality of the product is the day you should stop purchasing said product, because nothing is ever finished/perfected.
But at the same time there needs to be some time set aside for enjoying what you do have.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I hope the music playback works with any game, or at least that some popular games can be patched to use it. That's about the only feature I really want from this update. GT5P needs this, there's I think one or two songs in the game, and I don't even know what they are (really like the intro opening song, though)

It makes sense to push this out at the same time as E3, then it can be part of the conference and sony can make a big deal about it. I think the trophy system looks cool. I like the leveling up idea more then gamerscores.

ZeroTolerance

Tiduz said:
i knew i should have put this in op:
s3g5qd.gif

consider it done.

What movie is this .gif from ?

ZeroTolerance said:
Just as the announcements are coming, people are crying MOAR...Oh Gaf..:lol

But I dont think what im proposing is a difficult thing to accomplish :/

However the list looks like a step in the right direction, I do like indeed.

PhatSaqs

Banned
WasabiKing said:
except it's free, XBot
Wow. Did I say something negative? :lol
Everyone wants this and it's a good thing. I didnt think saying it was akin to throwing sand in vaginas... my bad.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
TheWolf said:
and arriving two years later...
"the cure to cancer has been found"

the world: Yay!!!

you: it only took them 250 thousand years psss...

Scientist believe Homo sapiens have been in the world 1/4 million years

Hmm, there's a couple highlights missing from that article which makes me not believe that they got their hands on the final list of features.

theBishop

Banned
It would be pretty sweet if you could access the web browser mid-game. Like if you needed to consult GameFAQ or something.

For bonus points, the browser could automatically search GameFAQ for the name the game currently playing and load the most recent walkthrough. But what do I know, I'm just a computer programmer!

Epix said:
But at the same time there needs to be some time set aside for enjoying what you do have.

Of course, I think the web browser in itself is the best thing EVER in a internet gaming service, for free even, with that said, I say if we have that, they should also look at the simplistic stuff, because that can make all the difference.

xero273

theBishop said:
It would be pretty sweet if you could access the web browser mid-game. Like if you needed to consult GameFAQ or something.

For bonus points, the browser could automatically search GameFAQ for the name the game currently playing and load the most recent walkthrough. But what do I know, I'm just a computer programmer!

The problem about this is do they actually have enough memory to open the webpage.

The only feature I really need is the ability to access your PSN account online like XBL and add funds to your wallet online. Does Sony already have this feature?

mollipen

Epix said:

Yeah, I'll enjoy the stuff when I use it. I don't need "time set aside" to bask in the wonder of being able to send my friends a message while I'm playing a game (something I've been able to do for quite some time now on the Xbox 360).

A lot of the stuff we're getting in 2.4 is stuff that should have been there day one, simple as that. It's like saying how awesome an OS developer is for finally putting in the ability to move files from one folder to another.

Philthy said:
I'm trying to think what my Live will still do that XMB doesn't if all those changes go through.

Does the XMB let me rate people? I only have one friend on my PS3 and I don't think I ever saw an option.

I'm going to guess Microsoft will have to start offering Live for free really soon if this all works out as planned.

Wait....MS deciding to not make money? IMPOSSIBLE!!!!! It cannot be done!!!!!!

XBL offers "robust" p2p and client server gameplay that totally "makes it worth paying $50/year"

RoH

shidoshi said:
Yeah, I'll enjoy the stuff when I use it. I don't need "time set aside" to bask in the wonder of being able to send my friends a message while I'm playing a game (something I've been able to do for quite some time now on the Xbox 360).

A lot of the stuff we're getting in 2.4 is stuff that should have been there day one, simple as that. It's like saying how awesome an OS developer is for finally putting in the ability to move files from one folder to another.

More like getting the edit option while viewing the properties of the file, or viewing a preview of the file before its opened. The fact is the option was alway there, but you had to just through hoops to get at it.

domokunrox said:
Wait....MS deciding to not make money? IMPOSSIBLE!!!!! It cannot be done!!!!!!

XBL offers "robust" p2p and client server gameplay that totally "makes it worth paying $50/year"

lulz battlefield demo.

If people are going to complain, don't complain about the fact that it didn't get here sooner, complain about things that can still be improved :lol

LaneDS

Sounds really excellent, but I will second the sentiment that in-game private chat would be a great follow-up.

Elios83

I would have liked to have it tomorrow but of course releasing it during E3 will make a much bigger splash. Can't wait btw :D

acevans2

Wait, it has real custom soundtracks? From the way it reads, it sounds like your music takes the place of the game music, and you still get Sound FX? If so: amazing. If not: sux.

I reeeally hope nothing about the trophy system is half-assed.

Would I have to say, replay Ratchet Future if I had a bunch of the things that gave trophies in a completed save file?

domokunrox said:

People want their Halo and Gears online and Microsoft is exploiting that.

Also, they had a well integrated community years before Sony did, so there wasn't competition at the time.

Kudos to Sony. It is great to see them finally doing this. If Microsoft wasn't beating them on features we wouldn't be seeing half of this stuff in the XMB update. Now that Sony is copying the features and keeping their service free, the other side of competition is that this will put pressure on Microsoft about the pricing.

Competition is awesome, thank god we are living in the multi-console future. With a single console there would be no impetus to innovate or keep prices low.

mollipen

RoH said:
More like getting the edit option while viewing the properties of the file, or viewing a preview of the file before its opened. The fact is the option was alway there, but you had to just through hoops to get at it.

I'd argue the 2.4 stuff is far more "basic-level" items now that consoles are seriously online. You don't produce a console that you are claiming to be a fully-online console and then make said console completely online-unfriendly (in a number of ways) from launch, especially when your competition already has all of those things standard.

TheWolf

Banned
PistolGrip said:
"the cure to cancer has been found"

the world: Yay!!!

you: it only took them 250 thousand years psss...

Scientist believe Homo sapiens have been in the world 1/4 million years

fabulous and relevant comparison.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
PhatSaqs said:
Wow. Did I say something negative? :lol
Everyone wants this and it's a good thing. I didnt think saying it was akin to throwing sand in vaginas... my bad.
Heh, Phat, I'll give you more credit for being generally console centrist these days than most here, but you've been around long enough to know your original comment was baiting.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
So now we are going to have Different lvls of E-penis! Oh man perfect! You don't have be biggest E-penis till you have the all lvls!

androvsky

shidoshi said:

Not really, that's a feature most OS's have. As far as I know, of all the consoles ever built, only the 360 currently features cross-game chat; the PS3 would be the second. If you want to refer to OS's, it'd be like Vista suddenly getting a patch to run on everything from routers to dual-Cell blades and 64-core Tilera chips, something only Linux can do (pretty sure no BSD runs on the Cell).

RoH

beermonkey@tehbias said:
People want their Halo and Gears online and Microsoft is exploiting that.

Also, they had a well integrated community years before Sony did, so there wasn't competition at the time.

Kudos to Sony. It is great to see them finally doing this. If Microsoft wasn't beating them on features we wouldn't be seeing half of this stuff in the XMB update. Now that Sony is copying the features and keeping their service free, the other side of competition is that this will put pressure on Microsoft about the pricing.

Competition is awesome, thank god we are living in the multi-console future. With a single console there would be no impetus to innovate or keep prices low.

Totally Agree with this. Its the only way consumers will see real innovation in consoles; No that we have the Wii dominating this GEn think about what they will do with NExtGen!

jmd494

Do you guys thing the audio device line is referring to being able to swtich audio output? I currently have to quit to the XMB if I want to switch between my digital headphones and HDMI-audio-out.

dose

Tiduz said:
Those images are no doubt fakes. The 2nd one was released to apparently back up the 1st one to confirm it was real. But they both look different. The rounded corners aren't the same, and the blue circles aren't. Plus they both look as bare as shit.

Top Bottom