• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor for now: Firmware 2.4's XMB features revealed

btkadams

im stoked for the audio device settings (switching between headset and ps eye), cust soundtrack, and messaging. woot!!!

only if its true of course

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
g35twinturbo said:
I can't fully spill the beans but there is a good hand ful of people here who know me and my dutys :)

OH you bastard! Hopefully what you are saying is true sir.

davepoobond said:
isnt adding achievements in the first place more work for the developer too? why wouldn't the developer want to utilize the trophy system if it gave more perceived value to a consumer to buy the PS3 game?

'Achievements' in the way the MS has done them is incredibly easy for developers. The trophy system will be almost as easy (hell - most of the effort is in figuring out what you want to give achievements out for), but with the PS3 implementation, developers will have to possibly draw 2D pictures for each one (similar to X360) and also make 3D representations of trophies for Home (and possibly other Home-related giveaways). Not a HUGE amount of extra effort, especially since I'd guess many trophies will be variations on one another, but still more than some text and an icon.

Onix said:
* please have FLAC as a stealth update ... *
Seriously.....:D

andycapps

g35twinturbo said:
I can't fully spill the beans but there is a good hand ful of people here who know me and my dutys :)

Ah ok, well if the clan support is true, that's good news. I'm still wondering how a universal clan would be implemented. Usually clans stick with the same game, or they may go from one FPS to the next big one. I guess I could see how that would be nice to not have to switch between clans all the time, providing that the clan list was large enough in that not everyone will have the same games.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
andycapps said:
Ah ok, well if the clan support is true, that's good news. I'm still wondering how a universal clan would be implemented. Usually clans stick with the same game, or they may go from one FPS to the next big one. I guess I could see how that would be nice to not have to switch between clans all the time, providing that the clan list was large enough in that not everyone will have the same games.

In some recent stuff there were talking more about CLans then normally, I wish i could post something without being marked

oneHeero

kaching said:
What exactly would that even entail? Every game handles clans differently - different clan membership maxes, different rules for retention, etc.
Ridiculously untrue.
COD had a barebones clan system, I wouldnt call it a clan system just clan tags. GTA had no clan system, fucken pos BF has no clan system, etc(if any more). Please Sony do this.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
g35twinturbo said:
In some recent stuff there were talking more about CLans then normally, I wish i could post something without being marked

You should make another account and not let anyone know who you are - not even GAF.

jonabbey

NinjaFridge said:
You should make another account and not let anyone know who you are - not even GAF.

Because who could possibly doubt a random GAFer touting new features without any sourcing?

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
jonabbey said:
Because who could possibly doubt a random GAFer touting new features without any sourcing?

GAF would eat it up, then Kotaku would post about it, then it would be submitted to Digg and IGN would write a short article about it.

Steroyd

le...le...levels!?

OMG that could convert me into the achievment whore that I hate. Why'd I have to be a RPG slut. ;_;

Beatbox

alien from planet Highscore
RoH said:
Would be nice but its not a deal breakers, I copy what I need down and create custom play-list's for games that support its; SSDHD FTW!

SSHD doesn't support playlists.

If it does please tell me how on earth you access them in game

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
NinjaFridge said:
GAF would eat it up, then Kotaku would post about it, then it would be submitted to Digg and IGN would write a short article about it.

exactly, I already had my name posted a couple of times on other blogs cuz i confirmed 2.4 in game XMB before Sony talked about it.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
g35twinturbo said:
exactly, I already had my name posted a couple of times on other blogs cuz i confirmed 2.4 in game XMB before Sony talked about it.

Do you know everything that is in this update? I'm not going to ask what is in it because i know you won't answer but im just curious as to how much you know about it.

Wollan

Someone should release a PSN game called 'the grind'. After so and so many enemy kills (after waiting for respawns, next to a campfire in the wilderness) you would earn a trophy. It would be like a mascot for the ruleset.

Ephemeris

g35twinturbo said:

Just take it easy. No use putting yourself at risk since it's just a matter of time before we learn more through the official channels. :/

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
davepoobond said:
isnt adding achievements in the first place more work for the developer too? why wouldn't the developer want to utilize the trophy system if it gave more perceived value to a consumer to buy the PS3 game?
What was stopping them before now? They don't have to wait for platform holders to standardize it, esp. when different platforms handle it differently anyway. If game developers perceive the value of adding achievements as being significant to the overall success of their game, then they'd add such mechanisms on their own. Right now, it's just a differentiator between which platform version gets preference among interested gamers. I don't think it has a significant impact on game sales overall.

oneHeero said:
Ridiculously untrue.
Sorry, what?

What about the idea of a generic screenshot grab utility which was to be used in Home? That would be pretty nice to have running before Home so you could have a whole new piece of functionality to it with little extra effort.

h3ro

Here's another interpretation of the PSN Gamercards could look like... looks nice...

24cskz6.jpg

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Looks much better but there seems to be a lot of space gone to waste.

Unregistered007 said:
I seriously hope SONY is not dumb enough to waste system memory on this DNLA support during games... they have given you, the user, option to copy your music videos and photos for that matter on the hard drive... USE IT

If I have like 750GB of Music, Videos and Photos on my PC Server... you're suggesting I keep a duplicate copy of everything I might possibly want on the PS3 as well for no good reason. Think about this carefully.

LuCkymoON

Banned
Durante said:
Correction: it's good if it has the same functionality as XBL. It would be bad (IMHO) if it actually looks like it. The XMB is about 500% more visually pleasing and professional than the "blades".
but it's not Plasma friendly.

h3ro

LuCkymoON said:
but it's not Plasma friendly.

Erroneous.

If anything, I get temporary IR with the blades more so than with the icons on my XMB. But even that IR is present for a few seconds until I change the blade.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
kaching said:
What was stopping them before now? They don't have to wait for platform holders to standardize it, esp. when different platforms handle it differently anyway. If game developers perceive the value of adding achievements as being significant to the overall success of their game, then they'd add such mechanisms on their own. Right now, it's just a differentiator between which platform version gets preference among interested gamers. I don't think it has a significant impact on game sales overall.

but some developers have added those as medals or whatever. they were probably just waiting for sony to implement something so it'd be easier, or maybe just waiting to be forced.

it might not have a significant impact on game sales overall, but there's plenty of people that have said "i'm getting the 360 version because it has achievements." As far as Sony sees it, its only a disadvantage to them to not have something implemented to compete against it

consoul

As I have learned the hard way, things can always change. That said, right now the planned release is not three weeks away.

JB1981

consoul said:
As I have learned the hard way, things can always change. That said, right now the planned release is not three weeks away.
sooner or later?

you said the 26th last time you popped in here, bro.

consoul

No, I never said the 26th. That was someone else.
All I did was give gaf the heads-up on 2.36.

...and sooner obviously.

I've just received word that we should expect it on the 8th or 9th of July. I'll just fully quote the post. Don't ban me, I'm just passing on what I've heard.

Right fellas, we have somewhat of a predicament ahead of us, and you're not going to like this one.
Word direct from sony's hounds sets the official release date of 2.40 as mid-second week of july, so you can read this as 8th-10th.
There has been no real reason given for this delay, however this does contradict rumors of a release during E3.

The initial release was scheduled for one week after mgs4's release however due to the server side issued that date slipped, there has been no set date since then however word from the sony camp has been positive regarding the software.
Server side support was updated and we are all currently ready for this update, but the best i can give you for the reason it ISN'T out until next month is that developers are needing this time to work trophy support/ingame music/etc into their currently released software, as sony wants some games to support the new features obviously.

The release date i have been given is in line with the 3rd patch release for Burnout paradise, which comes with ingame custom soundtracks, a feature made possible from the 2.40 sdk update, the release of this patch comes on the 10th July.
One could therefor say the patch is useless without the supporting firmware, thus 2.40 will not be delayed beyond the 10th July.

Please do not flame, argue or complain about this issue, as it is in part, beyond sonys control, they could give you the update now, but you wouldn't be able to use any of the new, cool, features as the games that support them do not have the supportive patches ready.

just a little snippet here and there, there's also word that konami will release an update to mgs4 shortly after 2.40's release to allow custom soundtracks to be played from the ingame ipod.

andycapps

h3ro said:
Here's another interpretation of the PSN Gamercards could look like... looks nice...

http://i32.tinypic.com/24cskz6.jpg

Doesn't seem like it would work unless it were scalable somehow because that is in 16x9 format. Seems like it wouldn't work on SDTV. I'll just be happy with whatever they put out at first, knowing that it will undoubtedly evolve over time.

g35twinturbo- Don't feel the need to prove yourself, IMO. I don't want to see anyone lose their job in order to prove something on GAF. Now, if you want to AIM me and let me know the details, feel free. :D

they change from uppercase to not. ;o and still. sony needs to do a "Blade" like thing like microsoft but tot he right to show the "Gamercard" and the many other options that's in the XMB.

Top Bottom