• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor for now: Firmware 2.4's XMB features revealed

Ken Masters said:
My main concern is how many games will even support then when it launches?

Do any games support it already? I kept hearing that both GTAIV and MGS4 utilized the trophy feature. No idea if there was any truth to those rumors though.

Chris R

I'd love to see the addition of groups to PSN. Join a group and then all those people in the group are added to your friends, can compare scores, see their achievements, ect.

WTB NeoGaf group :( I mean I have just a few people on my list from here, but can't add more because of the stupid cap, and adding new ones all the time is a huge pain.

andycapps

Ken Masters said:
My main concern is how many games will even support then when it launches?

Pretty sure Uncharted does already. I know Resistance doesn't and James said that they won't be patching it (would have to take people off R2 to work on it, etc). But yeah, I'm sure there are some now, I wouldn't be surprised if GTA IV had it built in already. Would be nice if MGS4 did, we just don't know it yet.

andycapps said:
Pretty sure Uncharted does already. I know Resistance doesn't and James said that they won't be patching it (would have to take people off R2 to work on it, etc). But yeah, I'm sure there are some now, I wouldn't be surprised if GTA IV had it built in already. Would be nice if MGS4 did, we just don't know it yet.

For me I just hope Uncharted and MGS4 will have them ready day 1, those being the only PS3 games I'm playing right now

KZObsessed

ust a little snippet here and there, there's also word that konami will release an update to mgs4 shortly after 2.40's release to allow custom soundtracks to be played from the ingame ipod.

^^I really really hope that's true!!

I also hope Uncharted will have full trophy support, which I'm sure it will, because it's the only game I've ever got 100% completion on so I want that recognised :lol :p

consoul

Tiduz said:
Awesome, i hope well see the walktrough vid today on psblog then :p
:p Not today.

Official announcement on the 30th.
The video walkthrough and official screens of in-game XMB, profiles and trophies will all be out on Monday.

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
consoul said:

The video walkthrough and official screens of in-game XMB, profiles and trophies will all be out on Monday.

Well there you have it.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
consoul said:

The day after my birthday, sweet.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
consoul said:

Thanks for stepping up to the plate, you rock :D

The Jer

So, are these levels cummulative for all games?
Basically "levels" is a "gamerscore" that is not a "gamerscore," right?

If so, that's stupid. Stick with trophies/achievements and don't do the levels/gamerscore.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
The Jer said:

If so, that's stupid. Stick with trophies/achievements and don't do the levels/gamerscore.
I'd rather have a universal lvl number just to consolidate the 4 different types of trophies you earn.

tanod

when is my burrito
FYI: Consoul has been banned before for being wrong on this firmware stuff. His sources are by no means definitive.

Agent X

user friendly said:
I've just received word that we should expect it on the 8th or 9th of July. I'll just fully quote the post. Don't ban me, I'm just passing on what I've heard.

This would make sense, in relation to the release of the Burnout Paradise "Cagney" update.

The Jer said:

I don't like the whole "Gamerscore" concept as it exists now on Xbox 360. The problem with it is that the achievement points aren't necessarily weighted in accordance to the difficulty of the game. 1000 achievement points might be very easy to earn in one game, and incredibly difficult in another game, but the Gamerscore system doesn't differentiate between the skill needed to achieve them--1000 points is always 1000 points. This is why you have "achievement grinders" who rent or buy shoddy games just because they have easy achievements to quickly bump up the Gamerscore. That doesn't seem like a problem on the surface, until you realize that money could've been applied to the rental or purchase of a legitimately great game instead. Ultimately, Gamerscore is useless as a measurement of gaming proficiency.

The trophies alone should be sufficient--no need to attach an irrelevant number to them.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
also an FYI

I didn't recall seeing any clan stuff in 2.4 build I played with but like I said earlier it was talked about. Just don't get ya hopes up for Clan stuff in 2.4

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
g35twinturbo said:
also an FYI

I didn't recall seeing any clan stuff in 2.4 build I played with but like I said earlier it was talked about. Just don't get ya hopes up for Clan stuff in 2.4

Then 2.5!

Tiduz

Eurogaime
tanod said:
FYI: Consoul has been banned before for being wrong on this firmware stuff. His sources are by no means definitive.

O rlly? Thanks for the warning ;)

g35twinturbo said:
also an FYI

Can i ask you a question? Evileye said theres something in there no one knows yet, is it in the list i posted in op or not? So curious about that D:

itxaka

Defeatist
Ninja Kn1ght said:
Being able to register BT devices in-game will be very useful when I'm playing MGO. :D

This. I hate having to get out of the game to register them if I forgot at first, very useful :)

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Tiduz said:
O rlly? Thanks for the warning ;)

Can i ask you a question? Evileye said theres something in there no one knows yet, is it in the list i posted in op or not? So curious about that D:

hmmm Evileye may know more then I then, the only thing I can think of is the clan stuff, but remember the last 2.4 firmware thread? That was the last time I tried 2.4 so iono if they updated it though. Been to busy :)

Tiduz

Eurogaime
g35twinturbo said:
hmmm Evileye may know more then I then, the only thing I can think of is the clan stuff, but remember the last 2.4 firmware thread? That was the last time I tried 2.4 so iono if they updated it though. Been to busy :)

Yeah he said it in that thread, so i think its the clan stuff then, thanks man :)

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I thought I saw something about a new music visualizer coming, not necessarily in this update though.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
didnt really deserve a new thread.

Kotaku said:
Those leaked shots of the PS3's upcoming trophy system? Probably just be the start of a wholesale push by Sony to go toe-to-toe with Microsoft in the online space. A "senior PS3 development source" has told VG247 that "there is Live-like stuff coming to PS3, yes. It’s going into titles in the works now". Sounds like more than just trophies to me, and if anything, lends a little more credibility to those rumoured 2.40 features from last night, which looked like they were taking "Live-like stuff" like organising and communicating with your friends a lot more seriously than they have up to now on the PSN.

Lets hope the payment feature wont come :lol

consoul

tanod said:
FYI: Consoul has been banned before for being wrong on this firmware stuff.
That's true. I voluntarily PMed a mod and bet a week ban on the 2.00 release date. Not a smart move in retrospect. I did manage to post that the release was being delayed before the banhammer dropped, but I'd made my bed by then. I think that's where the whole incorrect-fw-info=ban trend started. Sorry about that.
I've been more careful about what I say since then.

See you Monday.

consoul said:
That's true. I voluntarily PMed a mod and bet a week ban on the 2.00 release date. Not a smart move in retrospect. I did manage to post that the release was being delayed before the banhammer dropped, but I'd made my bed by then. I think that's where the whole incorrect-fw-info=ban trend started. Sorry about that.
I've been more careful about what I say since then.

See you Monday.

Hope you're still around. :lol

andycapps

So if the videos are supposedly going to be out on Monday, I wonder when the actual firmware is scheduled for release? Thursday of next week? I wouldn't think they'd wait more than a week after they post the videos.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
andycapps said:
So if the videos are supposedly going to be out on Monday, I wonder when the actual firmware is scheduled for release? Thursday of next week? I wouldn't think they'd wait more than a week after they post the videos.
Rumour is that 2.4 will be released when E3 hits.

andycapps

So they'd be showing a video walkthrough/screenshots and making people wait two weeks for the actual firmware? Not the nicest thing to do, IMO.

painey

years ago i mentioned the idea of bronze, silver and gold star rewards for PS3 gamercards on GAF, but it seems there was a history wipe since then.. i'll feel pretty smug if it comes true :D

Havoc

Banned
If 2.4 isn't out by next week, I'm throwing a basketball at my gf's head. I'm putting the pressure on Sony.

if the videos are next week, my guess is the actual update will be the following week.

sony would probably like to have the fw out at least a week before E3 just so if any problems with it do pop up, they can fix it before the show starts.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Riskbreaker23 said:
if the videos are next week, my guess is the actual update will be the following week.

sony would probably like to have the fw out at least a week before E3 just so if any problems with it do pop up, they can fix it before the show starts.

If the Videos are next Monday i expect the update to be up by Thursday if not sooner.

Top Bottom