• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor from Chris Avellone: Avowed has already lost multiple lead devs/designers

Wulfer

Believe it or not, you fly aeroplanes...
Whether you like the game/genre or not, I personally don't enjoy the game.
You can't deny how impressive the technology behind the game is.
It is potentially one of the most impressive bits of tech ever, seen in a video game.
This man gets the picture! Honestly, I think flying planes is just the beginning. MS is going to add more planes and military planes. Also, they continue to refine it's 3D map of earth. This game is a marvel of education and I could see it in the schools at some point. Remember how Sea Of Thieves was just sailing a ship in the beginning. I think MS has big plans for MFS (After-all they have a 10 year plan for this game!) MS obviously has a plan laid out for content for those 10 years! Also, what other game allows you to fly through the eye of a true to life Hurricane while it's happening in real life?

Last edited:

Dr Bass

So I posted something in this thread, though who knows what it was at the point and I am not about to go back and look but ...

Thinking this game is going to be bad, or that these rumors are indicative of anything at all at this point, is the same BS we see being spread on the playstation side of things with "concern" about game dev studios, game pricing, hot running systems etc. It's all fear-mongering BS that seems to be spread by fans of the competing platforms. So tiresome.

Turnover happens everywhere.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
I am talking about a general way. When a company gets purchased there are changes, for good or bad. From the title of the article "Avowed has already lost multiple lead devs/designers". If this is true, I am not surprised.
This thread is not based on some article but a tweet from a guy who is always bitter about Obsidian. We looked into who recently left Obsidian and there is only one "senior dev" actively involved with Avowed who recently left.
This is not uncommon in the gaming industry. Also as per him its due to Obsidian's management not Microsoft.
When a company gets purchased there are changes, for good or bad.
And he was complaining about Obsidian's management before they even joined Microsoft.

Last edited:
This thread is not based on some article but a tweet from a guy who is always bitter about Obsidian. We looked into who recently left Obsidian and there is only one "senior dev" actively involved with Avowed who recently left.
This is not uncommon in the gaming industry. Also the guy as per him its due to Obsidian's management not Microsoft.

And he was complaining about Obsidian's management before they even joined Microsoft.
I see, I didn't know that. I guess this is a case closed.

This is not uncommon in the gaming industry. Also the guy as per him its due to Obsidian's management not Microsoft.

This post needs to be repped more.

This is not uncommon in the gaming industry. Also as per him its due to Obsidian's management not Microsoft.

I thought there were two leads - the lead area dude and the story lead at least.

Bernkastel

I thought there were two leads - the lead area dude and the story lead at least.
The narrative designer guy only worked in Obsidian for a year since March 2020. He lives in Montreal, worked in Ubisoft Montreal for a decade and now working in another studio in Montreal. Maybe he was in some form of contract work.
There were some speculations about the "upcoming, hush hush project" he mentioned being Avowed in rpgcodex and Obsidian forums. But after E3 2021 we can also consider TOW2 as a candidate.

Last edited:

tsumake

Avellone tweeted “ They keep losing leads on that project, not a good sign”. People either say he’s calling doom for a project. Other people say he’s bitter about Obsidian. He gave his opinion based on his own experiences. Having read his recent postings, listened to a few of his interviews, and hearing interviews from other devs talk about him as a manager, I tend to give credence to his perspective. He did not say the project will fail, he just said it’s not a good sign for a project to keep losing leads.

Varteras

Gold Member
The game is probably early enough in development that even if it did lose multiple leads for whatever reason I don't think it spells some kind of doom for the game. Some things might take different directions but the game will still come. Now, if we start getting multiple sources or big sources saying similar things a year or two from now then I'd worry. For now this just doesn't seem like much of an issue, assuming it's even true.

Godot25

Banned
So you counter hearsay with hearsay, from an MS reporter no less.
You mean if I believe guy who have proven correct track about info from Microsoft vs. guy who is bitter about Obsidian for quite a while?

Of course I believe Corden, not Avellone.

Avellone is a guy who told Microsoft after Obsidian purchase that they need to fire all heads of studio. Clearly he has not have positive things to say about Obsidian.

tsumake

You mean if I believe guy who have proven correct track about info from Microsoft vs. guy who is bitter about Obsidian for quite a while?

Of course I believe Corden, not Avellone.

Avellone is a guy who told Microsoft after Obsidian purchase that they need to fire all heads of studio. Clearly he has not have positive things to say about Obsidian.

So, a guy who’s livelihood depends on MS defends an MS owned company. No skepticism there 🙄

anthony2690

Banned
So, a guy who’s livelihood depends on MS defends an MS owned company. No skepticism there 🙄
You seem very desperate for this to be true, what is really sad you know.

Plus I rarely ever check windows central myself, but doesn't he cover the surface products more than Xbox anyway? I could be wrong.

But anyway it's just hear say from either side, let's just wait and see how the game turns out.

The finished product is the only thing that matters.

Last edited:

tsumake

You seem very desperate for this to be true, what is really sad you know.

Plus I rarely ever check windows central myself, but doesn't he cover the surface products more than Xbox anyway? I could be wrong.

But anyway it's just hear say from either side, let's just wait and see how the game turns out.

The finished product is the only thing that matters.

Not desperate at all. I question the sources .

Roberts

You are saying that as if I’m some wacko rambling about seeing a Big Foot. I follow him on Twitter and he is pretty constant at giving MS shit about stuff mostly because he is a real fan who wants Xbox brand to do good. Fortunately they sometimes listen to people like him and others of his ilk. Example: the whole GWG price increase snafu.

Bernkastel

Ofcourse you would when it does not fit your narrative. You didn't question the source at OP and instead attacked anyone trying to question the legitimacy of Chris Avellone. Henceforth we will take the opinion of this Ex-Insomniac dev on what goes in Insomniac. We are talking about a guy who said he will convince Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky not to join Obsidian if he went back in time.

Last edited:

tsumake

Ofcourse you would when it does not fit your narrative. You didn't question the source at OP and instead attacked anyone trying to question the legitimacy of Chris Avellone. Henceforth we will take the opinion of this Ex-Insomniac dev on what goes in Insomniac. We are talking about a guy who said he will convince Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky not to join Obsidian if he went back in time.

What narrative?

Bernkastel

Again, what narrative?
Yours.
People cheerlead all these “mergers” because of perceived convenience and the idea that the Big Guy will reign in the Small Guy and make a good product. Just look at Disney and Star Wars.
Why do you want Xbox and Obsidian to be like Disney and Star Wars?
Geez, what a Negative Nancy. Just look at Rare’s stellar catalogue since their ‘acquisition.’
They were left alone to do what they want, and they made Sea of Thieves and now working on Everwild. Is it convenient to overlook so that Rare can be used as a template for a "Disney and Star Wars" you wanted.
Oh, I’m very sure they’ll put out something.
Seems like what Obsidian produce should only amount to "something" for this "Disney and Star Wars" situation you dream of.
Are you saying that big corps like MS buy smaller devs, set them up to fail, then “intervene” to look like the good guy? That’s crazy talk!
anthony2690 anthony2690 was right about the desperation in your posts. MS is not the only big corp making consoles though.
Avellone tweeted “ They keep losing leads on that project, not a good sign”. People either say he’s calling doom for a project. Other people say he’s bitter about Obsidian. He gave his opinion based on his own experiences. Having read his recent postings, listened to a few of his interviews, and hearing interviews from other devs talk about him as a manager, I tend to give credence to his perspective. He did not say the project will fail, he just said it’s not a good sign for a project to keep losing leads.
You put so much effort into defending Avellone's tweet. Is it really necessary for this to be true? Do you get self validation by trying to convince users it is true?
Nah, believe a guy who has been routinely bitching about Obsidian for three years.
Who do you believe?
Weird that you asked me who I believed when I was talking about who not to believe. Is it convenient for you if someone believed in something so that you can make posts like this?
Do not underestimate the conviction of an MS acolyte. They are skilled in the art of Linkedin.
I wonder why you want someone to be a believer or acolyte of "big corps like MS", normally you wouldn't want them to if that's how you saw them. So when someone does not "believe" in your opinion he has to be an "acolyte" or "believer", because theirs no way someone can disagree with you and be labelled as a normal guy with an opinion?
Pretty strange that after attacking posters for not agreeing with the source in OP, the moment someone posts a tweet from Jez Corden.
So you counter hearsay with hearsay, from an MS reporter no less.
Since Jez Corden's tweet does not fit this narrative you built up, he is now a "MS reporter" or "believer" or "acolyte". Conveniently grouped up.
Avellone's entire fame on rpg codex is built on shitting Obsidian. Of course putting skepticism there will not fit.
Yeah you do when its convenient for you. Other times when its necessary you will question posters for not believing the sources instead.

Last edited:

tsumake

Yours.

Why do you want Xbox and Obsidian to be like Disney and Star Wars?

They were left alone to do what they want, and they made Sea of Thieves and now working on Everwild. Is it convenient to overlook so that Rare can be used as a template for a "Disney and Star Wars" you wanted.

Seems like what Obsidian produce should only amount to "something" for this "Disney and Star Wars" situation you dream of.

anthony2690 anthony2690 was right about the desperation in your posts. MS is not the only big corp making consoles though.

You put so much effort into defending Avellone's tweet. Is it really necessary for this to be true? Do you get self validation by trying to convince users it is true?

Weird that you asked me who I believed when I was talking about who not to believe. Is it convenient for you if someone believed in something so that you can make posts like this?

I wonder why you want someone to be a believer or acolyte of "big corps like MS", normally you wouldn't want them to if that's how you saw them. So when someone does not "believe" in your opinion he has to be an "acolyte" or "believer", because theirs no way someone can disagree with you and be labelled as a normal guy with an opinion?
Pretty strange to play the saint in this thread after and attacking posters for not agreeing with the source in OP. And the moment someone posts a tweet from Jez Corden.

Since Jez Corden's tweet does not fit this narrative you built up, he is now a "MS reporter" or "believer" or "acolyte". Conveniently grouped up.

Avellone's entire fame on rpg codex is built on shitting Obsidian. Of course putting skepticism there will not fit.

Yeah you do when its convenient for you. Other times when its necessary you will question posters for not believing the sources instead.

I really pushed a button. 🧐

Oh, and the rest of this thread kinda validates my skepticism 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
nc59iRo.gif

LinkedIn isn't the best, but LinkedIn does seem to check out for the leads leaving, and around the same time, too.

Audio Lead's a bit "eh" on this, doesn't fit timeline.

Some of those people were short-timers but others had been there FOREVER, though. Might not be an Avowed problem, it might be a Microsoft's in charge problem.

Jorge, Justin, and Zachary have a long term stay at Obsidian for sure

If Zachary left, maybe his project director Dad getting demoted may have made his position unstable? Or maybe there was some falling out because of that.

Never work with family, nepotism bad

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Update on full names in and out of the studio:

Sounds like Jez didn't really ask about the names, but he may not have known which ones to ask about.

LOL on the Director's son

+Tweets keep going

Jez has literally just said "not true" without responding to specific points or presenting any evidence whatsoever. He should add some credibility to his claim if he wants to imply that Chris is lying.

On the other hand, Chris is giving specific names, and we can verify on LinkedIn that those people indeed left the company. Jez is currently like "source is 'trust me bro.'"

Last edited:

tsumake

LinkedIn isn't the best, but LinkedIn does seem to check out for the leads leaving, and around the same time, too.

Audio Lead's a bit "eh" on this, doesn't fit timeline.

Some of those people were short-timers but others had been there FOREVER, though. Might not be an Avowed problem, it might be a Microsoft's in charge problem.

Thank you for clarifying. This whole situation could be bad in the short term but maybe turn out well, who knows.

tsumake

Jez has literally just said "not true" without responding to specific points or presenting any evidence whatsoever. He should add some credibility to his claim if he wants to imply that Chris is lying.

On the other hand, Chris is giving specific names, and we can verify on LinkedIn that those people indeed left the company. Jez is currently like "source is 'trust me bro.'"

You mean you shouldn’t trust a journalist solely on their word? What times we live in.

Update on full names in and out of the studio:

Sounds like Jez didn't really ask about the names, but he may not have known which ones to ask about.

LOL on the Director's son

+Tweets keep going

Jorge Salgado left in May 2021 and is now working at High Moon Studios, was in Obsidian for 11+ years as Lead Area Designer
Justin Bell left in June 2021 and is now in PlayStation Studios (No specific studio named), was in Obsidian for 11+ years as Studio Audio Director
Lucien Soulban left in April 2021, is now working at Turque Games, was in Obsidian for 1 year as Lead Narrative Designer
Zachary Simon left in June 2021 and is now working at Singularity 6, was in Obsidian for 8+ years as Senior Audio Designer
Bobby Null is still working at Obsidian, has been there for 13+ years, but probably not working on Avowed
Chris Parker is also still working at Obsidian, has been there for 18+ years

It seems Avellone is telling the truth.

Top Bottom