• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Full length Halo movie produced by Ridley Scott in the works

Zabant

I didn't know Neil Blomkamp directed it, I've been wanting to see it based on reviews alone, now I definitely have to check it out. How is this considered bad?

ng1yLUh.jpg

It isn't but the guy from District 9 playing, The Guy From District 9, but if he went into the military instead of a Repossession Career will certainly make you roll your eyes.

MacNille

Banned
I didn't know Neil Blomkamp directed it, I've been wanting to see it based on reviews alone, now I definitely have to check it out. How is this considered bad?

ng1yLUh.jpg

Because it is awful.
The world makes no fucking sense. The social commentery is as subtle as a sledgehammer and it is just stuipid!

abadguy

Banned
I've yet to see a suit and practically everything Halo that doesn't look awful in live action.
Modest budoosakogets and game designs probably. They need to adjust the designs.

Have you seen the Blomkamp shorts or "The Package"? The designs looked just fine in those.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.

ng1yLUh.jpg

It's not bad. People just have different tastes. Neogaf is just filled with movie elitist. You can't go I to any show or movie thread without having someone rip it to shreds. It's the cool thing to do. Valid points or not.

elohel

I've been waiting on this movie for almost a decade.
In the span of time from the original Halo movie announcement until these rumors, I started and finished college, got married and divorced, funded a company and tanked it, got a new job and became successful.
When people wonder why Halo is dying, the answer is simple: the fan base grew up. We just cannot put fucking 10 hours a week to play a competitive game and get shredded online by children without a care in the world.
I want to watch this movie, I want to enjoy Halo again without the stress of playing it.

but other people haven't outgrown it? there are kids that are probably still very interested

Plus I don't think the series died because we grew up that's just a strange observation to make

I've grown up and people haven't moved on from Mario

inm8num2

Ridley Scott is always attached to tons of projects, and most of them fall by the wayside.

A Halo movie would be pretty sweet, though.

Valhelm

contribute something
I would love a Halo film so much, but I really hope there's no Master Chief. That character is hardly cinematic, and could ruin the franchise's chance to prove itself to be mature, human, and mainstream.

No need for this to be about MC, in fact it really should be standalone like the other side fiction.. make it important to the canon, but still tell its own separate story.

Not sure how this fits in with 'Halo TV' by Spielberg.. did that project fizzle out?

Oh, FYI, I have a thread for this in the Off Topic.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
If Master Chef takes off his helment so the actor's face can get screen time, the movie is dead to me.

Dredd showed it can be done, and done well.

That would be awesome. You could even keep the VA for Chief from the games and just have a stuntman in a suit. It would save the studio money on a big name they could otherwise use for marketing.

sn00zer

ng1yLUh.jpg

I liked it....but its one of the many movies where ther first half is ridiculously good and the last half is just okay

Synth

but other people haven't outgrown it? there are kids that are probably still very interested

Plus I don't think the series died because we grew up that's just a strange observation to make

I've grown up and people haven't moved on from Mario

It's funny that you claim that people growing up is a strange observation, and then go on to make a comparison to Mario.

The story for Mario is essentially "Bowser has taken the princess and Mario must save her". Regardless of when someone is introduced to Mario, they are pretty much getting in on the ground level. You really can't say the same with Halo.

Doctor Ninja

Sphincter Speaker
I never played Halo, but I am not sure that I can trust Ridley Scott to deliver anymore. I know his is not directing but, his recent projects were not very good.

SpartanN92

Banned
I've been waiting on this movie for almost a decade.
In the span of time from the original Halo movie announcement until these rumors, I started and finished college, got married and divorced, funded a company and tanked it, got a new job and became successful.
When people wonder why Halo is dying, the answer is simple: the fan base grew up. We just cannot put fucking 10 hours a week to play a competitive game and get shredded online by children without a care in the world.
I want to watch this movie, I want to enjoy Halo again without the stress of playing it.

I grew up and I still fucking love Halo. I make time for it.

^This isn't really a rumor in the traditional sense, Production Weekly is legit. But yeah, this isn't the first time Ridley Scott has been name dropped for Halo...last time was via AICN Halo 2 era if I recall.

Same here. And what's this shit about Halo movie without the Master chief in it? What would even be the point of having a movie without the main character?

Uh, the same people who care about the comics, books, Halo Reach, etc. Its not MC who sells the product, its the name.. if the movie features Spartans kicking alien ass most casuals won't know the difference. The games are about MC, but the expanded universe doesn't really need to be at all. Halo has established itself a huge universe, and most are fans of the universe and the numerous story offerings its provides.

EBE

Same here. And what's this shit about Halo movie without the Master chief in it? What would even be the point of having a movie without the main character?

uhh, i dont know about that. Master Chief is definitely the player character, the protagonist, but i would argue Cortana is the focal character. i mean you spent an entire game (Halo 3) trying to find her, and shes far and away the more developed person in the series. a halo movie without her wouldnt be halo.

Patryn

Betting this stays in production hell and nothing ever happens with it. If it's not actively shooting when World of Warcraft releases and then bombs epically, it will be killed then.

Betting this stays in production hell and nothing ever happens with it. If it's not actively shooting when World of Warcraft releases and then bombs epically, it will be killed then.

No, Microsoft is likely still self publishing this- they have a lot riding on TV and other forms of entertainment. This is likely one of their major projects to kick things off. No way it slips into production hell, though it may change hands... hell, it may have already changed hands as last we heard it was Spielberg doing a Halo TV series.

RedSwirl

Y'know, I always imagined a Halo movie basically being Black Hawk Down in space.

I my mind they'd probably give a lot of the plot to a squad of regular Marines or ODST facing some kind of impossible battle with Chief being a badass doing shit in-between.

abadguy

Banned
Film will be as generic and boring as the games

I love it when people use the word "generic" when talking about Halo, shows they have no idea what word "generic" means or never played a Halo game in their life or both.

As for whether or not a Halo film should have.MC in it, isn't the upcoming tv series dealing with the expanded universe? I see no real reason for the Chief not to be in it a movie version in some capacity, even if it were to be based on the fall of Reach.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
His latest movies Prometheus, Robin Hood and The Counselor were absolutely horrible. Ridley Scott need to retire from film making or something right now as he can't make good movies anymore.

Edit: oh just produced by him. good. maybe there is hope for the movie then.

EBE

His latest movies Prometheus, Robin Hood and The Counselor were absolutely horrible. Ridley Scott need to retire from film making or something right now as he can't make good movies anymore.

Edit: oh just produced by him. good. maybe there is hope for the movie then.

thats a little unfair, because i dont think Scott has lost any of his directorial talent when hes behind the camera. those movies were bad because they had some really poor scripts. you look at a large number of his films and they have a sense of talent thats hard to deny. i think he would do well with certain aspects of Halo's visual design. but yeah, the rumor is producing.

It isn't but the guy from District 9 playing, The Guy From District 9, but if he went into the military instead of a Repossession Career will certainly make you roll your eyes.

They were completely different characters. They had the same accent but that's about it.

thats a little unfair, because i dont think Scott has lost any of his directorial talent when hes behind the camera. those movies were bad because they had some really poor scripts. you look at a large number of his films and they have a sense of talent thats hard to deny. i think he would do well with certain aspects of Halo's visual design. but yeah, the rumor is producing.

And they were not "bad" movies either. Underwhelming perhaps. Ridley is still a brilliant photographer, runs a large commercial production company, and has access to the industries best talent at the drop of a hat. Very few directors in the film industry can helm at a scale he can.

Scott had a really good original million-dollar script with Robin Hood, but then raped it of anything interesting and unique with rewrites.

Rising_Hei

District 9 was godly, Elysium sucked so much.

About Ridley Scott... it's been a while since he's filmed something good

EBE

And they were not "bad" movies either. Underwhelming perhaps. Ridley is still a brilliant photographer, runs a large commercial production company, and has access to the industries best talent at the drop of a hat. Very few directors in the film industry can helm at a scale he can.
oh, i agree. thats why i personally think it would be interesting to see what Ridley could do with something like Halo. he's great in his genre work for being able to capture amazing detail and create believable environments and worlds, as evidenced with stuff like Blade Runner, Gladiator, and even Prometheus. im just not so sure he would be interested enough in the Halo franchise to truly put any amount of passion behind his work. its hard to get a read on the man during interviews because he's so cool and collected, so maybe im wrong about this next thing, but i dont feel as though he enjoys science fiction if there isnt some element of not having been done or seen before. Halo has been around for a long time now and spans several games and books and toy lines and comics - i dont think Scott would necessarily want to approach it anymore
Scott had a really good original million-dollar script with Robin Hood, but then raped it of anything interesting and unique with rewrites.
i think that was a case of mistakenly thinking that perhaps the script had deviated a little TOO far from peoples classical perceptions of the story of robin hood and believing it wasnt marketable to the masses. Ridley is one of the few who knows what he wants as a director, i think, but he isnt above making mistakes. look at Legend. he made a bad call with the decision to edit the american theatrical cut with what i believe to be an inferior score (Tangerine Dream vs Jerry Goldsmith). he himself acknowledges that. so generally, i think it really comes down to the material he (or any director) is given. if it isnt up to par with the talent he's capable of then, you get underwhelming movies like Robin Hood or Prometheus (depending on your tastes).

maneil99

Real waste of ridley scott, fuck this, we all know the movie is going to suck, there is no way to make master chief in live action without making him look like CGI or a Toy. I want another Prometheus/alien universe movie, not some shit Halo movie

Fotos

Real waste of ridley scott, fuck this, we all know the movie is going to suck, there is no way to make master chief in live action without making him look like CGI or a Toy. I want another Prometheus/alien universe movie, not some shit Halo movie

Jesus.

Because it is awful.
The world makes no fucking sense. The social commentery is as subtle as a sledgehammer and it is just stuipid!

Which is why Neil would be perfect for the Halo movie.

We already saw what he did with Landfall, that was fucking amazing.

Give him a real budget with Halo and we will get another movie on par with District 9 in terms of action and direction.

It would be hard to make a bad Halo movie. Master Chief is one hell of a hero is done right.

Actually if you want to ruin a Halo movie that's how you do it, make Chief the main character.

MC is a robot, he doesn't really have a character.

Follow a group of marines/ODST and have Chief make a cameo or something, but if you make him the protagonist it's going to suck.

shandy706

I'm not much of a Halo fan, but this made me laugh.

Why so serious?

unwritt3n

Banned
Helmut definitely needs to stay on. That's the whole mysterious part about the character. Main character should revolve around Hasley/Cortana.

delta25

Banned
Elysium may have had its flaws, but I still think Neill Blomkamp backed by weta is the best choice for any future halo movie.

Barzul

Helmet off. We need to get to know Master Chief. This could be the springboard for renewed interest in the Halo series. We've seen it with comic books, attaching the likeness of famous actors from respective movies increases interest in the comics (well I believe so). The movie will tank imo if it goes Helmet on only. That's the last thing I want to see.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Development hell again? Maybe some more filmmakers/studios became open to it after the ending of Halo 4.

Kaswa101

As someone who's seen Elysium and enjoyed it, I think Neil could pull off a Halo movie. Then again, I have every limited knowledge of the series, but from what I do know, I think he could make it work.

Top Bottom