• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(RUMOR) Gamepro Editor: "Microsoft will buy Epic Games for $1 billion this summer!"

legend166

That'd make Rare seem like the absolute bargain of the century.

1 billion dollars is the most ridiculous figure ever. Sure, Gears was a big hit, but after how many dollars spent on advertising?

legend166 said:
That'd make Rare seem like the absolute bargain of the century.

1 billion dollars is the most ridiculous figure ever. Sure, Gears was a big hit, but after how many dollars spent on advertising?

It's a hit no matter how one tries to look at it even with advertising dollars spent.

The game has a lot of sequel potential. There were many avenues not explored in the story that could've gone a long way towards making the game far better.

Mr. Pointy said:
I'd like to think MS aren't dumb enough to buy Epic, nor are Epic dumb enough to sell themselves.

I agree. Epic is doing fine by themselves and it makes no sense for Microsoft to blow that much cash on them even though they have disposable income. If they buy anything it will be the Gears IP.

isnt microsoft tired of losing money yet? Seriously, if this turns out to be true how long are they going to have to wait before the XBOX brand becomes profitable? I mean a new console is right around the corner

Ravidrath

My first inclination was that $1 billion was far, FAR too much money...

...But put into context with the Pandemic/Bioware deal, it may not be far off the mark, especially considering that they have their middleware business on top of the games development business.

Now, really, based on sales, I think EA grossly overpaid for Pandemic/Bioware. But if Epic did want to be bought, they could certainly use that figure as a starting point, factor in their superior sales and the aforementioned middleware business... boom, 1 billion.

This purchase could have the strategic advantage of freezing out future Unreal-based PS3 projects. Although, really, I'm not sure that'd be such a bad thing, either...

Also, if this does happen: Poor Denis, taking on Microsoft.

Busty

Banned
Rezbit said:
I will put in a counter-offer for Epic: One Badillion Zillion Dollars.

This constitutes a legal and binding offer by the way.

You'd better hope that Rein doesn't accept and then ask for the money in dollar bills all squeezed into an Addidas gym bag from the 70's.

legend166

CowboyAstronaut said:
It's a hit no matter how one tries to look at it even with advertising dollars spent.

The game has a lot of sequel potential. There were many avenues not explored in the story that could've gone a long way towards making the game far better.

Of course it was a hit.

But there's a difference between a hit and a "wow how good is that company let's buy them for 1 billion dollars" hit.

Sleeker

The Unreal engine is a bit of a prostitute.
Thats the only reason I could see them being anywhere near worth 1 billion

A billion dollars is an extreme amount. They could buy Take Two for a couple of hundred millions more, or a whole bunch of really good smaller developers.

TJ Spyke

Cool Hand Luke said:
A billion dollars is an extreme amount. They could buy Take Two for a couple of hundred millions more, or a whole bunch of really good smaller developers.

In their current financial state, i'm not sure they would even need $1 billion for T2.

Luckyman

Banned
Ravidrath said:
My first inclination was that $1 billion was far, FAR too much money...

...But put into context with the Pandemic/Bioware deal, it may not be far off the mark, especially considering that they have their middleware business on top of the games development business.

Their middleware business would be doomed if they sold to some publisher.

Joni

Ravidrath said:
With Epic you get two gameteams, Unreal Tournament license, Gears of War license and an engine that dies the minute you buy it. With Bioware you get (at least) two dev teams (with four times the manpower of Epic), Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Jade Empire and a couple of other licenses. Count in Pandemic at about 6 dev teams and a couple of so and so licenses. So by buying Pandemic Bioware you get four times as many development teams.

Majmun

How's the situation between Epic and Silicon Knights? Is there still a lawsuit coming?

I wonder what will happen to Too Human when MS buys Epic.

Top Bottom