• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: GTA V set in Hollywood [Update: Rumored Cast Post 330]

Rumor introduced by VG247 in an extremely weird post:

“It’s GTA V.”
“About time.”
“It’s not easy.”
“I know. Did you get the setting?”
“Yeah, I did.”
“And?”
“It’s set in Hollywood.”
“OK.”
“They’re going to announce it soon.”
“When?”
“I don’t know. I think it’s going to be at the Max Payne 3 event. ‘Soon’ is all that was said. I doubt GI’s canvassing opinion on location for fun.”

...And semi-confirmed by Eurogamer:
Eurogamer has learned from an independent source that Rockstar is ramping up research on locations around Hollywood.

Earlier today we heard that Tinseltown could well be the setting for Grand Theft Auto V.

Our source could not say whether the research was specific to the GTA series.

Game maker Rockstar told Eurogamer it doesn't comment on "rumour or speculation".

Watford would be a better setting, obviously.
What do you guys think?

V_Ben

Banned
hmm. Hollywood esque location? I'd love a GTA that isn't set in America, or a location that is like the USA. Still, it'll probably be good regardless.

Maybe a Hollywood parody will be a portion of the next San Andreas map. Disappointing rumor regardless. Was hoping for Vice City next.

347uvlj.jpg

Hollywood's not that big, so this will be good if and only if it is based on Mulholland Drive and is equally surreal/incoherent.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
badcrumble said:
Hollywood's not that big, so this will be good if and only if it is based on Mulholland Drive and is equally surreal/incoherent.
Well they do need a new story to rip off. I'd guess noir mystery if Rockstar wasn't already handling L.A. Noire.

Dynoro

Meh; not fond of yet another American city - I'd rather a major European capital, Moscow, Tokyo or somewhere in Africa

Mael

How about someplace a little better to model? like ya know Tokyo (although there's Yakuza for that), Paris, Berlin...
I mean should at this point remaking the same cities over and over....

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I'm pretty tired of the same old towns in GTA. My sentiments are pretty much the same as everyone else. Why not London (hell, even that was done before)? Paris? Moscow? Tokyo? Rio? Hong Kong? Dubai? Etc.?

I don't know. There's a whole world of interesting seedy possibilities, and I don't think anybody was really clamoring to go back to San Andreas just yet.

if they really wanna go all out...they should make

GTA V: The whole entire world.

That's right. They replicate the entire world and your missions span across the whole world.

the game would take 20 years to make.

Himuro said:
RDR is basically GTA4 in the west but whereas RDR is revered from both fans and critics, GTA4 got a hefty backlash. While I realize a lot of these things is due to the decisions made for GTA4's direction, I think a gigantic part of it also has to do with setting. RDR feels fresh whereas GTA4 feel stale.

A GTA set in the distant future could really do some good and could be potentially the most interesting -- writing wise -- GTA because they won't rely on past events or current events, they'll have to create their own events and be able to craft their own world from there.

It'd be interesting.

naw, it had alot to do with gameplay and game mechanics as to why RDR is so much better than gta4. they got the setting and atmosphere perfect for gta4.

sflufan said:
I think the idea sucks.

The USA again? Seriously? How about London or Moscow or Tokyo?

This just blows.

I'd love to see a different location. I dont think Rockstar has ever let anything stand in their way to do something controversial. But there might be a few cultural barriers and conflicts hindering that. I'd love to see a GTA story, in japanese with subtitles in Tokyo.

evil ways

I'll never lose hope that R* will release a game that features all 3 major cities, like the first one. Liberty, Vice and San Andreas in a huge fucking map.

MetatronM said:
I'm pretty tired of the same old towns in GTA. My sentiments are pretty much the same as everyone else. Why not London (hell, even that was done before)? Paris? Moscow? Tokyo? Rio? Hong Kong? Dubai? Etc.?

I don't know. There's a whole world of interesting seedy possibilities, and I don't think anybody was really clamoring to go back to San Andreas just yet.

GTA Hong Hong would be intresting, but the reality that it's quite a small place could be limiting.

Nedjoe

Neo Member
What the heck is up with the rest of that story on vg247? Anyway what really matters is what time this GTA is set in. They wouldn't do modern day again right?

Fixed2BeBroken said:
if they really wanna go all out...they should make

GTA V: The whole entire world.

That's right. They replicate the entire world and your missions span across the whole world.

the game would take 20 years to make.

Isn't this the premise of Agent?

Hollywood would bring some much needed class to the series. No more slums and other down in the dirt places. Hopefully we can play as a business fortune 500 tycoon or something. lol, something more exquisite and luxurious.

MetatronM said:

How are they going to pull off the characters in those locations where the dominant language isn't English? Part of GTA's appeal is their characters and how well they fit into the location and time period that they're based on. How could they pull that off if they were to base it in Japan? There's no way they could try to sell it with everyone speaking Japanese. And yet if everyone is speaking English then they run into a problem with the characters not fitting into their location.

Top Bottom