• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: GTX 1170 to have around 2688 CUDA cores, ~9.75 TFlops

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
According to the latest leaks, rumors and information provided to wccftech the GeForce GTX 1170 is powered by a 104 class GPU, codenamed GT104 that measures around ~400mm². The GTX 1170 would have around 2688 CUDA cores, a 256-bit GDDR6 memory interface and 8 to 16 gigabytes of 12Gbps GDDR6 memory, which is slightly slower memory than the GTX 1180. The graphics card is expected to have a core clock of around ~1.5GHz and a boost clock of around ~1.8GHz. The TDP of this graphics card is unconfirmed to date, but is expected to be somewhere between 140-160W.
https://wccftech.com/873853-2/

Would put in the range of a 1080ti....which would be impressive.

Take with a grain of salt but gives a rough idea of where 1170 and 1180 would be:
NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-1170-Relative-Performance-wccftech.png

Last edited:

Dontero

Banned
Honestly IDK how Nvidia does it.

1070 was supposed to be as fast as 980 which was big huuhaaa on press conference back in the day.
In actual benchmarks like GTA5 card was.... actually faster than 980 by almost 100% and about 50% faster than 980Ti.
I mean WTF. my 980 does like 80 FPS in one of benchmarks while 1070 does like 150...

Honestly i have GPUs since they became a thin and frankly speaking only think that compares to those jumps are days of when Voodoo1-2 were released.

It is very hard to give them finger despite their shitty practices like G-sync or recent PR idiocy. I just hope AMD with their Navi and MCM design for GPUs will give them run for money.

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job

1070 was supposed to be as fast as 980 which was big huuhaaa on press conference back in the day.
In actual benchmarks like GTA5 card was.... actually faster than 980 by almost 100% and about 50% faster than 980Ti.
I mean WTF. my 980 does like 80 FPS in one of benchmarks while 1070 does like 150...

Honestly i have GPUs since they became a thin and frankly speaking only think that compares to those jumps are days of when Voodoo1-2 were released.

It is very hard to give them finger despite their shitty practices like G-sync or recent PR idiocy. I just hope AMD with their Navi and MCM design for GPUs will give them run for money.

The die size is going from 317mm^2 to 400mm^2. So a lot of the gain seems to be coming from just having a bigger chip vs going to 12nm. As long as temps are OK not a big deal though I guess...

Yes. NVidia is insane with their GPUs heheh

lukilladog

No way the 1070 was going to be like a regular 980, that card was a let down and it only took a clock bump on the 970 to match it. Remember that X80 cards stopped using the top gpu after the gtx580.

McHuj

https://wccftech.com/873853-2/

Would put in the range of a 1080ti....which would be impressive.

Take with a grain of salt but gives a rough idea of where 1170 and 1080 would be:
NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-1170-Relative-Performance-wccftech.png

Take with a big grain of salt, indeed. This is just peak flops and not actual performance.

If the peak flops are actually true, I would expect the 1170 to surpass the 1080ti in actual gaming performance. 2+ years after Pascal, I expect the Touring architecture to actually be improved. Anything else will be a disappointment.

One thing for sure, is that the rumors are heating up so the product is indeed coming this year.

Dontero

Banned
No way the 1070 was going to be like a regular 980, that card was a let down and it only took a clock bump on the 970 to match it. Remember that X80 cards stopped using the top gpu after the gtx580.

?? GTX980 is one of the best gpus for OC...
I can take my stock GTX980 to almost GTX980Ti level with OC.

pj

Banned

Might want to get your memory checked

1070-sli-gtav-1080p.png

Gaps narrow significantly at higher resolutions as well

Edit: overclocked 1070 and 980ti are basically even

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/nvidia_geforcegtx_1070_overclocking/2.htm

In some games the 980ti actually pulls ahead of the 1070, but I don't recall any examples off hand.

Last edited:

pawel86ck

Banned

1070-sli-gtav-1080p.png

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/nvidia_geforcegtx_1070_overclocking/2.htm

In some games the 980ti actually pulls ahead of the 1070, but I don't recall any examples off hand.
I have seen games like that, but it's 1080p or 1440p resolutions most of the time, at higher resolution 8 GB vram on GTX 1070 is very useful. Here's just one example.
evil_w_2.jpg

damstr

Neo Member
?? GTX980 is one of the best gpus for OC...
I can take my stock GTX980 to almost GTX980Ti level with OC.
I always thought this argument was funny because you assume the 980 Ti owner won't OC which takes away all that extra ground you got with an OC'd 980.

Dontero

Banned

mate that is about 90% faster than 980. 88 vs 152. About 35% faster than 980Ti. IT is true that in higher res that difference falls down but that is true to all cards because they are limited by their vram and rops. Personally i have 1080p tv so idk for now for better res and frankly speaking i don't see how anyone else could care if they can't even hit 60fps stable which is pretty much given for 1440p and 4k unless you have new Titan V.

index.php

Around 30% faster than 980 and faster than 980Ti

index.php

again 30% faster than 980

index.php

index.php

I always thought this argument was funny because you assume the 980 Ti owner won't OC which takes away all that extra ground you got with an OC'd 980.

Yes you can. I don't get what is so funny about it ? You buy something for let us say 100 dollars and you OC it to performance of 300 dollar gpu ?
THAT IS AMAZING. Unless you play some tribal game where you are in some weird GPU camps and use them to compare e-dicks.
Reaching with OC MUCH faster card is not something that is granted.

Dontero

Banned
Also if you OC 970 you can reach 980 performance while OC 980 you very close to 980Ti level of performance.
Whole both seems similar in practical sense they are not.

970 and 980 on average are about 10% different in performance while 980 and 980Ti about 30 sometimes 40%. If you OC 970 you get basically 10% performance increase while 980 you get about 25-30%

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

It was not so much a PR thing with the GPP... it was an attempt to strong arm business partners into marketing nVIDIA’s stuff and reduce exposure their competition has like Intel and MS were caught doing in the past. Not sure why we are reducing it to just the customer contempt part of their terrible PR response... as if it were just a PR blunder.

nVIDIA is a huge company with deep pockets and thus tons of talented engineers, I am not surprised that they are also able to make good products when they put their minds to it.

pj

Banned
mate that is about 90% faster than 980. 88 vs 152. About 35% faster than 980Ti. IT is true that in higher res that difference falls down but that is true to all cards because they are limited by their vram and rops. Personally i have 1080p tv so idk for now for better res and frankly speaking i don't see how anyone else could care if they can't even hit 60fps stable which is pretty much given for 1440p and 4k unless you have new Titan V.

I don't buy those GTA V numbers for a second. 150fps average at very high detail on a non-OC'd reference 1070? Maybe if they ran the benchmark in the opening 3 minutes of the game. Please show me footage of a stock 1070 running GTA V at 150fps AVERAGE. Also, 35% is not "about 50%". I just checked several YT videos and even OC'd non-reference models only average in the 120-140 range at 1080p VH.

Around 30% faster than 980 and faster than 980Ti

Well yes, obviously. The 1070 is on average about 30% faster than a 980 and marginally faster than a 980ti. It is expected and not insane at all, really. One outlier chart showing it way faster than a 980 doesn't really mean anything.

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
I had a 980Ti and it overclocks better than 10 series, 40% vs 15% headroom.
Once you compare OC 980Ti to OC 1070, they are quite even. 1070 wins out in newer games and DX12, i guess some kind of async shaders optimization done.
980Ti ekes it out in older games at higher res and textures setting.

I guess my current OC 1080Ti will hang in with the new 1170, and lose out 25% to 1180.
I am good to wait for 1180Ti, need it to get 4K/HDR at 60fps.

Last edited:
At this point i want the new cards to be announced oficially just to see if they're called GeForce 2080 or not. I hate how 1180 sounds and looks to the eye.

llien

Reminds me "magical nvidia in nintendo switch" hype, with Switch almost inevitably beating XBOne, likely PS4 and maybe going beyond that.

mate that is about 90% faster than 980. 88 vs 152.
That's 72% and not even typical result.

Once you compare OC 980Ti to OC 1070, they are quite even. 1070 wins out in newer games and DX12, i guess some kind of async shaders optimization done.
What about the price?

Last edited:

A.Romero

I don't buy those GTA V numbers for a second. 150fps average at very high detail on a non-OC'd reference 1070? Maybe if they ran the benchmark in the opening 3 minutes of the game. Please show me footage of a stock 1070 running GTA V at 150fps AVERAGE. Also, 35% is not "about 50%". I just checked several YT videos and even OC'd non-reference models only average in the 120-140 range at 1080p VH.

Well yes, obviously. The 1070 is on average about 30% faster than a 980 and marginally faster than a 980ti. It is expected and not insane at all, really. One outlier chart showing it way faster than a 980 doesn't really mean anything.

I recently upgraded from a 970 to a 1070TI and to be honest didn't perceive a change as big as I was expecting. No OC yet as the card is blower style and I live in a pretty hot place. Maybe I'll try in Winter.

Lollu

Neo Member
Specifically from a GPU standpoint, you shouldn't expect too much jump from the new architecture, Volta GPUs are extremely insignificant compared to Xavier GPUs. an Xavier GPU and or 1280 should do 8K easily. I would advise not too jump too fast and buy the 1180s

A.Romero

That's both good and recent, why frown?

Just because I didn't get the performance improvement I was expecting.

I'm still enjoying it very much, don't get me wrong but I don't think a 1070 is 100% better than a 980 (I'm coming from a 970).

Dontero

Banned
I'm still enjoying it very much, don't get me wrong but I don't think a 1070 is 100% better than a 980 (I'm coming from a 970).

100% ? Nope around 30% faster than 980 and if you OC it around 40% so about 50% faster than 970 after oc. In some games it is lighting fast though.

sertopico

Those benchmarks posted by WTFTECH are just referring to the performance gained with the current generation of GPUs when compared to the previous. They're just speculations and nothing real. Please don't trust that website when it comes to reliable news.

Top Bottom