• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: 'Half-Life: Alyx' is coming to PlayStation VR2*

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Quest 2.. I've increased my page file on my drive to 10GB to deal with virtual memory. It looks like it has fixed the initial crashing but now loading into second part of the game when you step into a train, not sure if it's second chapter, it crashes when loading. Researching this, it seems it is common to crash on loading chapters and sections. Game is apparently bugged as fuck. I don't have issues with other VR games so this game has got issues.
Hmm that's strange, because I run it without an issue, being cable-d or through wi-fi. On Windows 11 no less, which apparently still have issues with VR. I guess I got lucky.

Shifty1897

There's a AAA VR game that was a system seller? Because I don't recall any VR AAA games moving many headsets.
Beat Saber isn't AAA but it did sell VR units.
Half Life Alyx did too, just less because the Valve Index is a thousand dollars. If HLA comes to PSVR2 this year and is a good port, I think it would absolutely push 100 to 200 thousand additional PSVR2 units. I'd be one of them.

Last edited:
Beat Saber isn't AAA but it did sell VR units.
Half Life Alyx did too, just less because the Valve Index is a thousand dollars. If HLA comes to PSVR2 this year and is a good port, I think it would absolutely push 100 to 200 thousand additional PSVR2 units. I'd be one of them.

Alyx didn't move many headsets. Index is still like many other headsets, tens of thousands to a few hundred k's at most.

It would be nice to see a non-Quest headset sell over a million although that would still be low at least that would show industry is growing. Hasn't happened since 2018.

While PSVR2 is more accessible, assuming IF Alyx is ever released on it, will game that old move a significant amount of PSVR headsets?

Last edited:
Are we really sure given Valve appear to be supporting the ABK merger? Sony might not want to be working with Valve if they feel like Valve are working against them?

Portugeezer

Are we really sure given Valve appear to be supporting the ABK merger? Sony might not want to be working with Valve if they feel like Valve are working against them?
I don't think that would matter, but Valve doesn't care enough to port the game and Sony probably won't offer enough money.

IMO it's weird that Alyx has not been announced, so I don't think it is coming. It's like the Bloodborne remaster with people trying to will it into existence.

Last edited:
I don't think that would matter, but Valve doesn't care enough to port the game and Sony probably won't offer enough money.

IMO it's weird that Alyx has not been announced, so I don't think it is coming. It's like the Bloodborne remaster with people trying to will it into existence.
I agree. Though idiots on Facebook tell me I know nothing like John snow and it's practically an open secret. I just keep saying sure, so is Microsoft acquiring SEGA and the Bloodborne remaster.

Valve released games on all platforms. This included Xbox.
The fact that Xbox doesn't have a VR platform is not Valve's problem. If and when Xbox has a VR headset, Valve will port Alyx to them too. You had to be a really young kid to not being around when Valve ported all their game everywhere.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
If valve is considering thier own self powered headset, they won't be releasing it on competing platforms, it's thier one AAA exclusive.

If valve is considering thier own self powered headset, they won't be releasing it on competing platforms, it's thier one AAA exclusive.
That isn't why they made their own headset. They only made their own once Oculus betrayed them after being given all the tech. They were happy to share and let others make the headset, then Facebook happened.

Valve had always been happy to release their own games on consoles. There just had been a lack of suitable titles for a generation.

FunkMiller

Gold Member

This. Why on earth would you give the best VR game ever made to the competition, when you've got your own headset coming? Hell, they're probably working on the follow up for Deckard as well.

THE DUCK

That isn't why they made their own headset. They only made their own once Oculus betrayed them after being given all the tech. They were happy to share and let others make the headset, then Facebook happened.

Valve had always been happy to release their own games on consoles. There just had been a lack of suitable titles for a generation.

Didn't say that's why, just saying they would hold it as an ace card to drive sales.

Technically the Index has the same library as all headsets on PC that are compatible with SteamVR, so even the Quest can play Alyx.

It's exclusive in terms of to the SteamVR ecosystem, which many headsets can access, and not on others for sure.

Moses85

If Xbox gets Alyx, it will be a masterpiece.
But Phillyboy to VR:

I Dont Morgan Freeman GIF

THE DUCK

Technically the Index has the same library as all headsets on PC that are compatible with SteamVR, so even the Quest can play Alyx.

It's exclusive in terms of to the SteamVR ecosystem, which many headsets can access, and not on others for sure.

In terms of stand alone, self powered VR, it would be only one with that game.

xrnzaaas

It would be cool if that was true. Alyx is one of VERY few VR-only games I'd desperately want to play. And since PS5 is my main gaming platform it could bring me closer to buying PSVR2 (when it's on sale several months from now, too expensive no matter what at full price).

I was watching a review on this device and saw the clip on ear buds and just laughed. How is it Valve set the standard with the Index and its sensational audio config and Sony can't at least replicate that like 4-5 years later?

I was watching a review on this device and saw the clip on ear buds and just laughed. How is it Valve set the standard with the Index and its sensational audio config and Sony can't at least replicate that like 4-5 years later?

Because one is $1000 and one is $549?

Cohetedor

Speaking of possibly coming to psvr2, just saw updates for doom 3, fallout 76, and dreams being downloaded. Vr updates perhaps? Wishful thinking, but would love it if true.

Top Bottom