• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite is the currently biggest project in the gaming industry (Update: Reported False by Frank O'Coner)

mckmas8808

Banned
Yeah, I think the general setup is wrong... meaning 343 is an internal studio so there is no contract per se like Activision/Bungie. If they want a Destiny/WoW-like experience meaning constant content, they're going to need $500m to just get started, which was the number Activision gave on Destiny. Bungie didn't even finish half the contract with Activision, Activision was never getting its money back let alone a ROI. Most of the big MMO type games fail and fail hard. Destiny is probably not a super huge failure but not sure why anyone would want to copy it, although when this Halo game was probably greenlit say 2014-2015.... Destiny install numbers were still going up.

Normal AAA titles cost in the $40-120m range just on development, a MMO with expansions and DLC, apps, stats, etc.... considerable more.

Is there a contract for $500m, probably not as 343 is an internal studio... but if they haven't earmarked $500m+ to get started, this won't be going anywhere.

Destiny is basically financial failure and its sold 10s of millions of units and DLC.

Yeah, I can see it costing $500 if they want to make it a GaaS type that stretches multiple titles.

VertigoOA

Banned
Yeah, I think the general setup is wrong... meaning 343 is an internal studio so there is no contract per se like Activision/Bungie. If they want a Destiny/WoW-like experience meaning constant content, they're going to need $500m to just get started, which was the number Activision gave on Destiny. Bungie didn't even finish half the contract with Activision, Activision was never getting its money back let alone a ROI. Most of the big MMO type games fail and fail hard. Destiny is probably not a super huge failure but not sure why anyone would want to copy it, although when this Halo game was probably greenlit say 2014-2015.... Destiny install numbers were still going up.

Normal AAA titles cost in the $40-120m range just on development, a MMO with expansions and DLC, apps, stats, etc.... considerable more.

Is there a contract for $500m, probably not as 343 is an internal studio... but if they haven't earmarked $500m+ to get started, this won't be going anywhere.

Destiny is basically financial failure and its sold 10s of millions of units and DLC.

Are you done making up nonsense yet?

Destiny is 8 years into the ten year deal contract.

Microsoft wishes halo even had current D2 player counts at all at any point in this gen.

Last edited:

VertigoOA

Banned
Bungie and Activision are no longer in a contract.

I know this. He’s saying they weren’t even half way thru with the deal amongst other works of fiction.

Halo infinite will not be a online coop shooter. It’ll be halo... or try to be.

I feel like like everyone read into the comments about the game engine supporting ten years worth of halo the wrong way... which they did

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned
Are you done making up nonsense yet?

Destiny is 8 years into the ten year deal contract.

Microsoft wishes halo even had current D2 player counts at all at any point in this gen.

Yes, its doing so well that Activision got out of the deal last year, welcome to 2018... the irony of your post bro. :messenger_tears_of_joy: (What's sad about your post is I already provided the info in this thread)

I know this. He’s saying they weren’t even half way thru with the deal amongst other works of fiction.

Halo infinite will not be a online coop shooter. It’ll be halo... or try to be.

I feel like like everyone read into the comments about the game engine supporting ten years worth of halo the wrong way... which they did

Bro, the contract was for 4 FOUR GAMES, not 2 GAMES, and all 4 FOUR GAMES plus major expansions plus additional DLC was suppose to come out between the games.... they only got to game #2 and didn't even get to the expansion before Activision cried "uncle".

The 4th game was suppose to come out this year i.e. 2019, the final expansion in 2020. They didn't even finish half the contract.... like burning cash in a furnace. Game #1 2013, Game #2 2015, Game #3 2017, Game #4 2019.... major expansions in between 2014, 2016, 2018, and 2020... plus they (Activision) wanted additional DLC as they went along.... but there was no way for Bungie even to stay on schedule or even close.... they're at least 9-12 months away from Game #3.

Yeah they are in year 8, the problem is.... they were suppose to be done next year and they really dont' even have half of it done.... they'll have a hard time even getting #3 out of the door.... its a loser.

Last edited:

VertigoOA

Banned
Yes, its doing so well that Activision got out of the deal last year, welcome to 2018... the irony of your post bro. :messenger_tears_of_joy: (What's sad about your post is I already provided the info in this thread)

Bro, the contract was for 4 FOUR GAMES, not 2 GAMES, and all 4 FOUR GAMES plus major expansions plus additional DLC was suppose to come out between the games.... they only got to game #2 and didn't even get to the expansion before Activision cried "uncle".

The 4th game was suppose to come out this year i.e. 2019, the final expansion in 2020. They didn't even finish half the contract.... like burning cash in a furnace. Game #1 2013, Game #2 2015, Game #3 2017, Game #4 2019.... major expansions in between 2014, 2016, 2018, and 2020... plus they (Activision) wanted additional DLC as they went along.... but there was no way for Bungie even to stay on schedule or even close.... they're at least 9-12 months away from Game #3.

Yeah they are in year 8, the problem is.... they were suppose to be done next year and they really dont' even have half of it done.... they'll have a hard time even getting #3 out of the door.... its a loser.

Stories from your ass. It was a 10 year publishing agreement. They were 8 years into it. At one point destiny 2 was only going to be an expansion to the first game. Don’t make things ups. Details of the Bungie Activision split aren’t public or have leaked

Last edited:

Chiggs

So just to clarify, you think they should drop Halo as a whole and invest it in new unproven IPs?

Can you imagine if Phil went into a boardroom and said “No More Halo.” We want to do a sequel to We Happy Few instead.

Plus if they dropped the Halo IP the MCC wouldn’t be coming to PC, because that costs money also.

I think they see the bigger picture and until the game comes out we get to all sit back and analyze it with no investment.

If it was your money invested I’m sure you would not be calling for them to quit making games in one of the biggest franchises of all time.

For now, yes. Otherwise, how about giving it to someone other than 343?

You’re delusional if you think Halo has the same draw it used to.

But sure, keep on betting that Halo in a games as of service model will be what captures everyone’s imagination.

Kagey K

Banned

But sure, keep on betting that Halo in a games as of service model will be what captures everyone’s imagination.

I’d say they have given the IP a rather large time out already, and I think we will see the results of that pay off.

There are still many people that love the IP, based off the hardcore that still play Halo 5 Arena and all the excitement when MCC was announced for PC.

If they play their cards right, Halo can become that massive IP again as a strong launch title for the NextBox.

Remember most games wish they could fail as hard as Halo 4 and 5 “failed.”

I have faith that time is what they really needed to make Halo great again.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
More people are playing battlefront 2 and fallout 76 than halo 5. And that shit is free on gamespass.

If halo pvp was as good as ever it’s standing would be better... it’s age doesn’t matter especially when considering the longevity and placement of games like destiny and rainbow six siege.

It doesn’t matter about the money invested. 343.... LOL. It’s easier to be more excited about everything else ms has coming down the pike that’s not halo.
Depends on the region. In the US, for something that came out in 2015 and has not been updated for a while, it has more people playing it than Battlefield 1 and Destiny.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/most-played/games/xbox
In Mexico, it is more popular than Minecraft, PUBG, Rocket League, RDR II, Overwatch, Destiny 2, Forza Horizon 4, Battlefield V, Battlefront 2, Black OPS III, COD WWII, For Honor, Warframe and Fallout 76.
https://www.microsoft.com/es-mx/store/most-played/games/xbox?source=lp
In Canada its more popular than Battlefield 1 and Destiny.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/store/most-played/games/xbox?source=lp
In Italy its more popular than Battlefront 2, Fallout 76 and Destiny
https://www.microsoft.com/it-it/store/most-played/games/xbox?source=lp
In India it is more popular than COD WW II, Battlefield 1, Overwatch, Warframe, Anthem and Destiny
https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/store/most-played/games/xbox?source=lp
In UAE its more popular than
https://www.microsoft.com/en-ae/store/most-played/games/xbox?source=lp
Although, its not a Xbox market, but I will keep this here for reference
https://www.microsoft.com/ja-jp/store/most-played/games/xbox?source=lp
In Australia and New Zealand its more popular than Battlefield 1 and Destiny
https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/store/most-played/games/xbox?source=lp
https://www.microsoft.com/en-nz/store/most-played/games/xbox?source=lp
You can try more regions if you want.
Keep in mind that Halo 5 has mostly not been updated since 2017 and its still somehow alive. You mentioned Destiny but in most regions, more people play Halo 5. I still occasionally play the original Destiny and there are still many people in crucible or doing raids and other stuffs.

Last edited:

VertigoOA

Banned
Depends on the region. In the US, for something that came out in 2015 and has not been updated for a while, it has more people playing it than Battlefield 1 and Destiny.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/most-played/games/xbox
In Mexico, it is more popular than Minecraft, PUBG, Rocket League, RDR II, Overwatch, Destiny 2, Forza Horizon 4, Battlefield V, Battlefront 2, Black OPS III, COD WWII, For Honor, Warframe and Fallout 76.
https://www.microsoft.com/es-mx/store/most-played/games/xbox?source=lp
In Canada its more popular than Battlefield 1 and Destiny.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/store/most-played/games/xbox?source=lp
In Italy its more popular than Battlefront 2, Fallout 76 and Destiny
https://www.microsoft.com/it-it/store/most-played/games/xbox?source=lp
In India it is more popular than COD WW II, Battlefield 1, Overwatch, Warframe, Anthem and Destiny
https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/store/most-played/games/xbox?source=lp
In UAE its more popular than
https://www.microsoft.com/en-ae/store/most-played/games/xbox?source=lp
Although, its not a Xbox market, but I will keep this here for reference
https://www.microsoft.com/ja-jp/store/most-played/games/xbox?source=lp
In Australia and New Zealand its more popular than Battlefield 1 and Destiny
https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/store/most-played/games/xbox?source=lp
https://www.microsoft.com/en-nz/store/most-played/games/xbox?source=lp
You can try more regions if you want.
Keep in mind that Halo 5 has mostly not been updated since 2017 and its still somehow alive. You mentioned Destiny but in most regions, more people play Halo 5. I still occasionally play the original Destiny and there are still many people in crucible or doing raids and other stuffs.

Okay... lol.

The Xbox has one successful market...

And you literally mis-tracked what is plain to see.. that even in most regions with the only exception being Mexico in which you said halo is more played; Canada, Italy and India... it’s not. Reload the pages next time to see more than just the Mexico results. You must’ve been looking for destiny 1.

Thank you and try again

Last edited:

I think millions of people might disagree with you. The MCC on PC announcement was trending pretty hard also. Let’s also remember Halo 5 is 4 years old.

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Okay... lol.

The Xbox has one successful market...

And you literally mis-tracked what is plain to see.. that even in most regions with the only exception being Mexico in which you said halo is more played; Canada, Italy and India... it’s not. Reload the pages next time to see more than just the Mexico results. You must’ve been looking for destiny 1.

Thank you and try again
Mexico is a market for Gears of War and Gears of War 4 is at #2 after Fortnite.

Chiggs

I think millions of people might disagree with you. The MCC on PC announcement was trending pretty hard also. Let’s also remember Halo 5 is 4 years old.

I was clearly talking about Halo Infinite, which is the subject of this thread.

Glad people on PC get a chance to play the MCC, and I’m looking forward to Halo: Reach. But here we are talking about past glory and Bungie.

I have major doubts about Halo Infinite and don’t believe 343 has the goods to deliver on something that will breathe new life into the franchise.

More than happy to be proven wrong.

I was clearly talking about Halo Infinite, which is the subject of this thread.

Glad people on PC get a chance to play the MCC, and I’m looking forward to Halo: Reach. But here we are talking about past glory and Bungie.

I have major doubts about Halo Infinite and don’t believe 343 has the goods to deliver on something that will breathe new life into the franchise.

More than happy to be proven wrong.
I'm certain the secrecy is due in part to them rethinking their path. Changing back to the classic art style and moving to a completely different engine is a sure fire sign that they are putting everything they got into getting it right. They could have stayed with what they knew. But instead they are overhauling and creating something special with that new engine. I would have to agree that the draw isn't what it used to be and it may never be like that, on the flip side, it could be quite the opposite. Being on PC, Gamepass, xCloud, Scarlet, and Xbox One could potentially change the game and allow it to sell more units than just being on Xbox One alone. Who knows, it could even be on Steam if MCC sells well.

As of right now, who knows, but most importantly, who the fuck cares how well a 4 year old game is doing now?

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned
you guys think it will be nexgen exclusive?

All this next gen stuff is going out the window, any system (which probably means Stores outside of Microsoft) which can reasonable handle the game plus game streaming.

A Japanese soldier who hunkered down in the jungles of the Philippines for nearly three decades, refusing to believe that World War II had ended, has died in Tokyo. Hiroo Onoda was 91 years old.
https://www.cnn.com/2014/01/17/world/asia/japan-philippines-ww2-soldier-dies/index.html

Last edited:

v1oz

Not really, Age of Ultron (2015) budget was 330 millions, Avatar (2009) 425 millions, which is the biggest movie budget to date.

Now ten years later a videogame finally surpasses it, which may sound odd as videogames industry revenues account higher than video or music or even both combined in some countries, having GTA V as the biggest money-maker piece of media in history.

I’m sure you’ve heard of Hollywood accounting? Those numbers are purely for marketing purposes.

goldenpp72

Lets be honest, you dont need AAA budget to make a Nintendo game.

I sure hope you're not trying to diminish BOTW, it's kind of an achievement in game creation.

For the other post, all we got was them saying 2 million sales would break even. That's rough to interpret due to shared profits but you can roughly assume from there.

Bernkastel

I sure hope you're not trying to diminish BOTW, it's kind of an achievement in game creation.

For the other post, all we got was them saying 2 million sales would break even. That's rough to interpret due to shared profits but you can roughly assume from there.
That's not my point, they make great games and their ganes have a development time longer than most AAA games, but that does not mean you need AAA budget to make tgem. I can also extend this to Persona 5. Miyamoto is very passionate about things he does, but I won't compare Nintendo games and Halo Infinite from a budget standpoint. Also, the part about 500 million USD budget has been debunked, but it still definitely will have a high budget.

Marinius

Neo Member
This could actually make me fire up the Xbox again.. It's been a good long while since I've been excited about the Halo franchise. Nice :messenger_sunglasses:

It's time to move on and allow these studios (Coalition and 343) to make an original game

Both series peaked at 3, although I did enjoy Halo5 MP. Hope both studios can move on after this.

Ay $50 a pop they need to sell 10 million copies to break even?

How many did Halo 5 sell? Not that it matters because this is a 1st party exclusive and going straight to GamePass.

Thank you Microsoft, for being such dummies and giving me a shit load of games for cheaper than the RRP of one game.

Iced Arcade

Halo 4 grossed $220 million in the 1st 24 hours (300 the 1st week). And Halo 5 was apparently was the biggest launch in the Halo franchise... infinite is also going to be on PC and push gamepass sooo it having a large budget isn't that shocking.

releasing on PC and a new engine would jack up the budget pretty good.

Ay $50 a pop they need to sell 10 million copies to break even?

How many did Halo 5 sell? Not that it matters because this is a 1st party exclusive and going straight to GamePass.

Thank you Microsoft, for being such dummies and giving me a shit load of games for cheaper than the RRP of one game.
Not really. They can possibly put up some optional micro-transactions like they did with Halo 5. Making it less important to sell copies and bring importance to supporting the community.

It's time to move on and allow these studios (Coalition and 343) to make an original game

Both series peaked at 3, although I did enjoy Halo5 MP. Hope both studios can move on after this.

I hope you never run a successful franchise.

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
Not really. They can possibly put up some optional micro-transactions like they did with Halo 5. Making it less important to sell copies and bring importance to supporting the community.

I hope you never run a successful franchise.

you hope he doesn't run a franchise into the ground? yeah, we all hope that.

Chiggs

Biggest flop ever incoming. They already had every chance and killed the franchise. It's not coming back.

This is really the definitive comment in this thread. Deep down, everyone who reads it knows that it's true.

343 simply don't have the chops to surprise us. Barring it being a pack-in title with Microsoft's next console, this thing is hosed. It'll make a big splash and be dead within 6 months.

Romulus

This is really the definitive comment in this thread. Deep down, everyone who reads it knows that it's true.

343 simply don't have the chops to surprise us. Barring it being a pack-in title with Microsoft's next console, this thing is hosed. It'll make a big splash and be dead within 6 months.

Exactly, it'll be this weird game where they try and please old school fans while also being "revolutionary" at the same time. They're caught in the middle. 343i already proved that their writers and direction sucked. They can hire all the big name voice actors they want. There's absolutely no passion there, just a fat contract payout. Not only that, the ingame cutscene they showed looked current gen, and worse than many games that have been out for years. I expect the multiplayer to be interesting at first, but die off incredibly fast.

They really need to go balls out with something unique, like a Planetside type games with massive armies fighting over regions covenant vs marines, but still maintain that 4v4 core somehow at smaller control points on the map.

Chiggs

it's because our love is so strong

gods i hope this is good

Just play through the Master Chief Collection when it comes to PC, bask in the glory of Halo: Combat Evolved, Halo 2, Halo 3 and Halo: Reach...and then be done with it.

This is the only path to happiness.

Edit: Maybe ODST, too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom