• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: Left 4 Dead 3 in 2017, priority for Valve, characters info

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Lamp

http://www.express.co.uk/entertainm...Release-Date-Characters-Valve-PS4-Xbox-One-PC

http://segmentnext.com/2016/01/08/report-left-4-dead-3-coming-in-2017-character-details-leaked/

I'm not really sure how legitimate it is. Never heard of these sources, BUT I saw links for it all over the sidebar Facebook trending news.

The last game in the series came out back in 2009, but it is believed that the latest title has been given a 2017 release date.

Reports also claim that the four characters have already been given names, with the sole female said to be known as Katherine.

The three male characters apparently include gangster Irvin, comic book nerd Keenan and famous Kenpo fighter Garrett Jr.

As previously reported on Express Gaming, there will be six separate campaigns to play on Left 4 Dead 3. These include old-favourite No Mercy, Cliff-Hanger, Early Destination, Crashland, Impasse and Inquisitor Land.

^ the above seems way too specific to be true, unless something saucy af got leaked.

If this is true, 2017 is GOAT and the year my life was leading up to. I LOVE L4D

Edit:

SegmentNext's article is based off Express', and Express cites "reports" that claim this information, but does not provide a source for the reports. The Express story also links to another Express story when talking about the six campaigns. That same story also cites "reports" that don't exist.

Calling bullshit.

Yeah, looks like it. We will see.

Burt

liar

is my immediate reaction to anyone telling me Valve is coming out with a new game

Not really seeing where the rumor is coming from in either source lol. But either way I wouldn't necessarily count this as not true, just a bit surprising considering it seemed like Valve hasn't really been focusing on developing/producing more games as of late.

Rur0ni

I have some good memories from L4D1. These games are great when you have people you play with regularly.

The Express is a notoriously terrible newspaper here in th UK but I don't know anything about their gaming coverage.

It seems unlikely they would know anything about this.

Renekton

Reports also claim that the four characters have already been given names, with the sole female said to be known as Katherine.
CQIqnPb.jpg

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Left 4 dead 3 before HL3. Damn.

Priorities...

I'm more interested at this point on how it will be a turned into a service platform.

Seems like good fit for them to pursue it, unfortunate as that may be.

Jawmuncher

Wonder why they would still be going woth the 3 male 1 female. Why not 2 and 2? Also this could be legit, L4D3 is their worst kept secret. People here have even seen it apparently on tours (though they say they're working on L4D2). Wonder the format they're gonna run with, I don't see them skipping consoles. Unlike CSGO, L4D has a big fanbase there. Plus with mods being accepted with fallout 4. Nothing is stopping steam workshop supported stuff making their ways to consoles now.

So long as the ports aren't left for dead themselves like CSGO.

With all of this said unless there's a big change up to the formula it's a easy pass for me. I'm not a fan of L4Ds style of coop.

KarmaCow

I'm more interested at this point on how it will be a turned into a service platform.

Seems like good fit for them to pursue it, unfortunate as that may be.

Character/weapon skins are already a thing through mods in the steam workshop, so I imagine it will be something like that. I honestly don't remember what the official sound cues are for the specials and weapons anymore.

Vamphuntr

I'm surprised we haven't got any info about the business model for the game yet. Are we expecting this to be a full priced 50$ or a less expensive game with loot crates and cosmetics/customization.

Guess Who

Banned
I'm surprised we haven't got any info about the business model for the game yet. Are we expecting this to be a full priced 50$ or a less expensive game with loot crates and cosmetics/customization.

A $60 game that also has loot crates and cosmetics/customization.

MUnited83

For you.
We already know L4D3 has been in active development for a while. I was hoping for 2016 but I guess 2017 ain't so bad either.

injurai

Banned
Wonder why they would still be going woth the 3 male 1 female. Why not 2 and 2? Also this could be legit, L4D3 is their worst kept secret. People here have even seen it apparently on tours (though they say they're working on L4D2). Wonder the format they're gonna run with, I don't see them skipping consoles. Unlike CSGO, L4D has a big fanbase there. Plus with mods being accepted with fallout 4. Nothing is stopping steam workshop supported stuff making their ways to consoles now.

With all of this said unless there's a big change up to the formula it's a easy pass for me. I'm not a fan of L4Ds style of coop.

Yeah, they should have 3 females, 1 male. Makes much more sense for repopulating earth. It's the natural group structure that would form in a survival situation.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
If they really are doing a 3rd L4D, which previously leaks do suggest, how in God's name is not releasing for yet another year, at the earliest?

Also, Irvin, a gangster? Is this 1993? Outside of Rockstar, I don't think many devs would want to dabble in that stereotype in 2016.

I'll only believe it if it's free to play, and supported largely by cosmetic DLC. Valve don't make games no more. Only services.

The campaign info makes me very skeptical. Crashland and Inquisitor Land just don't seem like real names. Also it seems odd that No Mercy would be included at launch when Valve seemed very set on making these stories with different groups of survivors. Also of any campaign to remake, why not Swamp Fever, which we saw photos of in Source2?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Wonder why they're still going woth the 3 male 1 female. Why not 2 and 2? Also this is probably legit, L4D3 is their worst kept secret. People here have even seen it apparently on tours (though they say they're working on L4D2). Wonder the format they're gonna run with, I don't see them skipping consoles. Unlike CSGO, L4D has a big fanbase there. Plus with mods being accepted with fallout 4. Nothing is stopping steam workshop supported stuff making their ways to consoles now.

I wouldn't assign legitimacy on the basis that we know L4D3 exists, especially considering the source of the rumour is a UK newspaper, of all things.

Valve has a long history of virtually ignoring its console games, but to be fair, there were certification fees and, on the X360 side in particular, patch size limits to consider, neither of which are an issue this generation, so perhaps things will be different this time around. The PC is without question where you (the royal "you") want to be if that's at all possible, though.

Jesus, L4D2 was seven years ago.

"More than six years ago", to be pedantic. It released in November, after all, so seven years is still 10 months away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom