• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: Left 4 Dead 3 in 2017, priority for Valve, characters info

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to be clear, this rumor is BS, but we know the game exists in some shape and form. We have people who saw it and met with playtesters.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
L4D actually makes sense for Valve, cause they can stuff it full with hats. No, I'm serious, it really makes sense for them.
CS GO exploded after they added loot.

Lingitiz

Honestly if Valve never releases another one of their multiplayer games on console again I wouldn't be surprised.
If a game of theirs can make it to consoles they'll do it.

But they'll do as they always have a release a competent version with simple bug fixes and whatnot, but none of the slew of improvements and additions that change most MP Valve games into totally different games over time.

Nazo

L4D actually makes sense for Valve, cause they can stuff it full with hats. No, I'm serious, it really makes sense for them.

I was thinking the same thing. Now the real question is will it be free and will it come to consoles?

d00d3n

I am looking forward to getting this game for free as compensation for the botched OSX Steam controller release.

Bluth54

If a game of theirs can make it to consoles they'll do it.

But they'll do as they always have a release a competent version with simple bug fixes and whatnot, but none of the slew of improvements and additions that change most MP Valve games into totally different games over time.

It's hard to say for sure. I imagine the additional console revenue used to be very important to them and while they would still get a lot of additional console revenue they may just decides it's not worth it to pull people off of other stuff to help get a game released on console. Of course their last game was DOTA 2 and that would never be released on consoles so we'll just have to wait for their next game to see.

Of course if L4D3 is F2P I could see them not wanting Microsoft and Sony to take 30% of the cost of the Microtransactions, especially if they ship community created content and give the creators of that content a 25% cut like their other games. If they only make 55% of they money on most microtransactions vs 75% on PC it just may not be worth the extra time to port to consoles.

I was thinking the same thing. Now the real question is will it be free and will it come to consoles?

TF2 and DOTA2 (and CSGO even though it's not F2P) make so much money for them with cosmetic microtransactions that I would be pretty surprised if L4D3 wasn't F2P with cosmetic microtransactions.

SURGEdude

Valve has a terrible track record on consoles. They never update their games there.

True but it's not entirely their fault. Last gen had all kinds of weird unfriendly patching/updating policies. And Valve is used to the kind of control few other developers expect. Add that hassle to a heavier focus on by gamers on new titles and less interest in going back to old ones generally, and it was a situation that seemed out of sync with the way Valve operates.

Much of that mentality has changed this gen though. The advent of F2P games like Warframe and more robust updating and online storefronts are likely the kinds of shifts that make Valve's rarely released but constantly updated titles seem to fit in better.

Nzyme32

Okay, I knew this sounded familiar. 4 months ago there was an alleged ex-Valve playtester who decided to leak some things on reddit and the character names and 6 campaign was mentioned among them. The OP has been deleted since as naturally it was bull: https://www.reddit.com/r/HalfLife/comments/3h6le7/im_an_exvalve_testerand_id_like_to_talk_about/

some "coverage" of that: http://www.gamepur.com/news/19962-half-life-3-launching-q4-2017-left-4-dead-3-works-rumor.html
http://www.vinereport.com/article/l...nt.game.will.reportedly.be.a.prequel/3197.htm

close this down

Yep this was confirmed bull.

I'm also fairly confident an new L4D will not follow the same format as 1 and 2

Cipherr

3 hours after this releases people will be like, DAMN Valve hasn't made a game in FOREVER!
KuGsj.gif

Even though this is almost certainly bullshit, it is my favorite of Valve's franchises and I've been dying to play a new L4D game.

impact

Banned
I'll never understand why this series gets so much Valve support when it's so bad compared to all their games (except TF2)

Nzyme32

Even though this is almost certainly bullshit, it is my favorite of Valve's franchises and I've been dying to play a new L4D game.

Well there is definitely a L4D3 coming since we know people who have met playtesters, just not as described in this OP which was proven bullshit several months ago.

Piers

tumblr_m25s9paA8Q1roamg8o1_500.jpg

They will need something new to showcase Source 2 with (a Dota 2 reskin is not enough) so I imagine it will be this if the rumour pans out. Valve had a strong presence at GDC last year to promote the controller and Vulkan so perhaps we will see this there.

Source 2 isn't suppose to be (primarily) a graphical upgrade like other engines. IIRC, its main purpose is related to easier creation and distribution of content — particularly towards users. I might be wrong.

I could have told you this rumor was bullshit. It involves Valve putting a priority on making new games.

How can they make games when they have VR and Steam Controllers and Hats to sell you. They don't have that much manpower you guys.

injurai

Banned
I wonder when they will officially reveal L4D3. Rumor or not 2017 sounds about right for when it would drop. So presumably they would reveal it maybe at Gamescom this year. Here's hoping.

I wonder when they will officially reveal L4D3. Rumor or not 2017 sounds about right for when it would drop. So presumably they would reveal it maybe at Gamescom this year. Here's hoping.

lol people have been expecting it to drop in 2014, then 2015, and now 2016. Not going to guess anymore, it comes when it comes. Don't care about the series anyway. I really want a new IP and hopefully they have something for the Vive too eventually.

injurai

Banned
lol people have been expecting it to drop in 2014, then 2015, and now 2016. Not going to guess anymore, it comes when it comes. Don't care about the series anyway. I really want a new IP and hopefully they have something for the Vive too eventually.

I mean... I've been saying Valves next game will drop around 2017 for years. I don't think it will perpetually slip. 2017 was about where I had always put it.

Crono27

That is not the main reason why csgo exploded. I would say the betting scene is the main reason.

No way it is free. They know they can make money an easy 60/50/20 w.e they want to charge cause people will buy it in waves and im 99% sure its coming to consoles.

True but it's not entirely their fault. Last gen had all kinds of weird unfriendly patching/updating policies. And Valve is used to the kind of control few other developers expect. Add that hassle to a heavier focus on by gamers on new titles and less interest in going back to old ones generally, and it was a situation that seemed out of sync with the way Valve operates.

Much of that mentality has changed this gen though. The advent of F2P games like Warframe and more robust updating and online storefronts are likely the kinds of shifts that make Valve's rarely released but constantly updated titles seem to fit in better.

This. At the rate Valve was releasing balance and content patches in the early years(~1 per month), Sony/MS would have made a killing off of just charging Valve to release those updates. They cut their losses.

Cannot wait.

I am definitely in the minority here but I want this more than Portal 3, Half Life 3 and every other Valve Game put together. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom