• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild will not release in March

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
ANOTHER delay?

Can they at least release the Wii U version for now? Not cool holding it back because of the Switch.

v7DgWJn.gif

Eolz

I wouldn't mind, since rumors are that the new 3D Mario might be a launch game for Switch. Rest of the post (game being harder, good QA time, etc) sounds good.

bigkrev

Even though they SHOULD, I just can't see them releasing this game in the Summer. I hope it's just a case where it gets pushed to April, because otherwise I see this releasing in the Fall among a billion other games

J-Skee

I'm a tad bit happy about this. Zelda is the one game I definitely want for the Switch, but the first two months are insanely packed for me & my wallet could use the room to breathe.

Summer or even holiday sounds about right. Honestly this is such a big game and it's worth noting Nintendo never committed to it being a launch title. I kind of anticipated this and would've been more impressed if it made the launch.

Wii U to have fantastic Year 6 support confirmed
/s

A delay by a month or two is never that bad albeit it has been delayed already by a fair bit

Vinc

I'm not surprised at all. They never said it was a march title, and that pretty much implied it wouldn't be.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Hope she's wrong. Making it a launch title will net it a lot of sales it might not otherwise get like TP had in the Wii.

Also means I might wait to get the Switch instead of at release depending on the other launch titles.

Samaritan

If true, I can't say I'm surprised to hear that Nintendo is having problems with testing their first major open-world game.

Not sure if I believe this.

Launching the Switch without Zelda seems like a bad idea to me. Unless they want to delay the Switch too, which I also don't see them doing at this point.

Well there goes me buying a Switch at launch. Only thing that may change my mind is new 3D Mario and DKC Tropical Freeze port at launch.

FZZ

Banned
This game has been delayed 3 times now?

4?

Cmon Nintendo, only reason I wanna buy a Switch is because of this game. Do some Melee magic and get it out in time :(

Menitta

I really don't want this to be true...I really don't...

This game feels like it's been in development for forever. It was announced in 2014.

orioto

Good Art™
The whole unification point was to have Nintendo doing more games for its only system (if it's even a thing), but i'm beginning to wonder if Switch launch won't be the one with the smallest number of new game from them ever...

Which is kinda crazy when you think about all the problems they addressed regarding WiiU and 3ds launch problems..

It's like "This time we'll do better" then they do way worse..

Kadin

Four to six months of testing after the localization is done? That can't happen simultaneously? Obviously I'm clueless on this process...

Thoraxes

Well they never said it was a launch game for Switch, so that's fine.

When it comes out it'll be a simultaneous launch on Wii U and Switch.

If it's just the localization does that mean a March Japanese launch is still possible?

Anyway, that basically guarantees 3D Mario will be at launch. Better hope it's a proper 3D Mario and not more simplified garbage like 3D World.

For anyone worried about a lack of killer app, the reliable doctor_cupcakes on Twitter has stated all his information points to the new 3D Mario being the big day 1 game for Nintendo Switch.

you mean, "reliable"

If it's just the localization does that mean a March Japanese launch is still possible?

Anyway, that basically guarantees 3D Mario will be at launch. Better hope it's a proper 3D Mario and not more simplified garbage like 3D World.

i'm guessing they want to do a worldwide launch. pretty sure recent Zelda titles are like that (too lazy to do a quick check of release dates)

dickroach

I could have sworn they said it was going to be a launch title when they put out that press release a few months back. i guess not :\

bluexy

This is what Nintendo always does. They say "Okay, it looks like we're going to have a pretty successful launch no matter what. How can we profit the most off of it?" "Let's delay Zelda until console sales start petering off! Then we get a second surge!" And ultimately they replace it with something much less interesting, which hurts the console's initial sales, which causes developers to begin writing it off, which causes a domino effect of apathy and a reduced console life-span.

So many of the Wii U's launch window titles were delayed into year 2. Then delayed past that. Then the next wave of announcements got pushed even further. If all of the games Nintendo had promised in that launch window had actually been released in that launch window, who knows what could have been.

Hard to imagine they've actually developed a full-sized 3D Mario game that will be as exciting as Zelda.

wrowa

Can they at least release the Wii U version for now? Not cool holding it back because of the Switch.

According to Rogers, the localization is behind schedule, so there's nothing they are holding back. It's quite simply not ready yet.

If they internally planned BotW to be a launch game, I do wonder if they might try to rush it through testing, though. After Wii U, Nintendo really needs an amazing launch line up for the Switch to build up confidence. A new 3D Mario and a bunch of half-ports of old Wii U games wouldn't be enough for me, so here's hoping they still have something major up their sleeves.

eXistor

That's alright, but only if 3D Mario is a launch game. They absolutely, 100% need to have a AAA Nintendo flagship title at launch.

Vena

I really don't want this to be true...I really don't...

This game feels like it's been in development for forever. It was announced in 2014.

Sounds like the game has been done for a few months, actually. But you can't release an unlocalized game, and they probably want a world-wide release.

Everything is now QA and Localization.

Eolz

The whole unification point was to have Nintendo doing more games for its only system (if it's even a thing), but i'm beginning to wonder if Switch launch won't be the one with the smallest number of new game from them ever...

Which is kinda crazy when you think about all the problems they addressed regarding WiiU and 3ds launch problems..

It's like "This time we'll do better" then they do way worse..

It's still a WiiU game though, that was started years ago.

Top Bottom