• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Mafia 3 moved to 2K San Francisco (Rod Fergusson), restarting from scratch

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Via Kotaku's superannuation: https://twitter.com/supererogatory

Believe it or not, there's more at the link in the form of @ replies.

Note: Read from bottom to top:

mafia5pnxq2.png

mafia4hwzxz.png

mafia3x1aiu.png

mafia2cjar9.png

mafia1zya4w.png

Seems like a dumb decision from a financial perspective.

Mafia has never been a huge draw. GTA wasn't either but it was still more successful than Mafia.

They should rebrand if they're going to go all out with it.

Mafia has never been a huge draw. GTA wasn't either but it was still more successful than Mafia.

This would be smart. Mafia is not going to sell millions.

Not sure how to feel about this. I liked the original, and while Mafia 2 was enjoyable in some regards, it was ultimately a big letdown for me.

They'd have to spend some significant time with it to make it worthwhile.

Mafia and GTA are diffferent enough that I say go for it 2K. I actually played Mafia 2 straight through start to finish whereas GTA V I had to take a month break about 3/4ths of the way through. I definitely prefer Mafia's tighter, more linear open world approach to be honest.

Sentenza

I'm... pretty sure we already had a thread about this in the past days?
Well, that or they just changed something in the Matrix and I'm experiencing deja vu.

Jacobi

Banned
Well, Mafia 2 sold like 2 million copies. This move kind of pisses me off and I'm not really confident those guys in SF will do the franchise justice.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Not having Daniel Vavra and his team is still the big problem here.

Also Take Two should consider moving Mafia under Rockstar brand/logo if they want to give it a push sales wise.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So, 2017/2018 release?

That soon? This is Take-Two and next-gen we're talking about.

With titles like Mafia 2 and XCOM taking 7 years and Spec Ops, The Darkness 2, and BioShock Infinite taking 5+ years, I'm just assuming it will be at least 10 years for every non-sports title they make internally.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Mafia II was a great game with some rather poor decisions. It was awesome having an open world game with a strong narrative and main plot. The problem was that you could tell the development didn't go smoothly because said main plot was under cooked and needed more depth and the open world was pretty much useless, when it would have been perfect for secondary and tertiary activities/missions to help flesh out the world.

I'm sad to hear that Mafia III is in such trouble, I really really like Mafia II despite its shortcomings. The basic foundation for a great game was there, they just needed to flesh it out to its full potential.

Amir0x

Banned
Well, I enjoyed Mafia 2 and 1, so I hope this turns out well, whatever is happening. And Playboy magazine covers should be the collectible of choice for all games going forward :D

Yawnier

Banned
That soon? This is Take-Two and next-gen we're talking about.

With titles like Mafia 2 and XCOM taking 7 years and Spec Ops, The Darkness 2, and BioShock Infinite taking 5+ years, I'm just assuming it will be at least 10 years for every non-sports title they make internally.

Sweet jesus, Mafia 2 started development in 2003? Make this a ~2020 release then, lol.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Ugh, with the hike of development costs over last gen's already high costs, every time I hear "rebooted/restarted development from scratch" I grown in agony.

KlotePino

An open world game like Mafia combined with hungry launch owners could've been a great combination. These guys were technically excellent, Mafia 2 was a great looking game so I have no doubts the game would've sold quite well if they had been ready for launch. Too bad they weren't able to achieve it. Also what do you mean by GTA not being a huge draw?

Hopefully the restart will produce a quality product.
Honestly I kinda hope the take some inspiration from GTA 5.
The character switching system could work very well in many circumstances and I really hope more game attempt this generation.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Simply i-n-c-r-e-d-i-b-l-e.

Take Two is a disaster from top to bottom. 90% of their releases are huge megablockbusters in development hell with protracted development cycles.

3bdelilah

Banned
Well....... it's something. I thought they wouldn't work on Mafia III any more, so starting from scratch is better than nothing. Too bad we have to wait at least two years for it.

jcm

Twitter is an absolutely fucking awful way to communicate anything more than a single thought. Why can't he/she just write a couple of paragraphs and send it to Kotaku to publish in a single piece?

Alienous

I'm scared for Take-Two. They are perhaps too lenient with letting developers get it right. Long dev times, and not a great many sales. Great games usually result, but it can't be business practical.

GTA has never been a huge draw.

9f97f7502ecc5767b455e9ecc3978da0fe9bb10d351931c98569e7af8fd82920.jpg

Mafia 1 on the PC was great and critically lauded. On the consoles, it was a clunker. Mafia 2 was very good and I'd assume a financial success. It was in development for too long and seemed a bit bare-boned. But it certainly was good enough to merit another sequel.

Alienous

Do you mean the organization a Mafia is and the act of stealing a vehicle?

I hope they manage to get a Mafia 3 out. I absolutely loved the original Mafia. To date, it remains the most cohesive, nuanced and well done story in an open world crime game. The 1920-30s setting and cars etc were perfect too. The graphics (PC) and music were pretty impressive for the time as well.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Looking forward to it on PlayStation 5.

B.O.O.M

I disliked Mafia 2 a lot. Thought it was extremely mediocre. Was disappointing because I was a big fan of Mafia 1. Hopefully this one will be better

jonno394

I'm just happy it's still being worked on. Mafia 2 was one of the most enjoyable experiences I had last gen. Great music plot and overall a great cinema like gangster experience.

Seeing as Boardwalk empire is ending i would love for them to tackle prohibition period America again.

Mafia II was a great game with some rather poor decisions. It was awesome having an open world game with a strong narrative and main plot. The problem was that you could tell the development didn't go smoothly because said main plot was under cooked and needed more depth and the open world was pretty much useless, when it would have been perfect for secondary and tertiary activities/missions to help flesh out the world.

I'm sad to hear that Mafia III is in such trouble, I really really like Mafia II despite its shortcomings. The basic foundation for a great game was there, they just needed to flesh it out to its full potential.

"Undercooked" is a good word. It just didn't feel finished to me, despite taking forever to come out.

The overworld looked nice but there was really nothing to do in it.
And collecting cars was pointless because the game narrative meant your stash got wiped out repeatedly.

Also, it seemed to introduce characters and then never revisit them for some reason. Like, "Oh here's a weapons guy with an eyepatch! Welp, that's the last you'll see of him". The first game built up a cast that you got familiar with.

Definitely, one of last gens bigger disappointments for me. Not that it was a bad game by any stretch, but I was so hyped because I loved the first one so much. I should've learned by now.

Tagg9

Take-Two is so mismanaged, it's not even funny.

Without GTA, I tend to think they'd be in serious trouble. (And yes, I realize that NBA 2K and Borderlands are also big money makers for them.)

The original Mafia stands as one of the greatest games of all time. Nothing came close at the time. Mafia 2 was a solid game but wasn't nearly on the same level.

Glad they're getting another opportunity even though it won't capture what made the first one great.

E92 M3

Recently tried playing the Mafia II demo as a preparatory action before the purchase of the game, and discovered that the gameplay is not that fun - and doesn't feel solid. While I love a good mafia story, I wasn't able to bear through the actual gameplay and decided to not purchase it.

Marcel

Considering the unfortunate Mafia 2, Mafia 3 would be the perfect cure for my occasional insomnia.

Make that third game happen, 2K. I'll pick it up in the bargain bin like it's an over the counter medicine or something.

Top Bottom