• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[RUMOR] Major Pokémon Switch Details Leaked, Reveal Coming This Month

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Some diehard fans hate hearing this, but I agree with you. Breath of the Wild should inspire future entries in the series, as long as they don't give up the turn-based combat. Pokemon's combat is the heart of the series IMO--approachable for kids and casual fans like me, but deep enough to host tournaments of experts year after year. You don't throw that out lightly (NOTE: that's not what I think you're asking for, but I think that's what a lot of people hear when we say, "Make it like BotW").

Pokemon doesn't need Breath of the Wild's mechanics--climbing, physics, realtime combat, etc.--but if Gamefreak took the BotW engine and used it to build a Pokemon with that sense of scale and freedom to explore? That game would be phenomenal.
That would be the dream.

Some diehard fans hate hearing this, but I agree with you. Breath of the Wild should inspire future entries in the series, as long as they don't give up the turn-based combat. Pokemon's combat is the heart of the series IMO--approachable for kids and casual fans like me, but deep enough to host tournaments of experts year after year. You don't throw that out lightly (NOTE: that's not what I think you're asking for, but I think that's what a lot of people hear when we say, "Make it like BotW").

Pokemon doesn't need Breath of the Wild's mechanics--climbing, physics, realtime combat, etc.--but if Gamefreak took the BotW engine and used it to build a Pokemon with that sense of scale and freedom to explore? That game would be phenomenal.

What I envision is this, you explore an open world environment ala BotW and rather than Pokemon appearing from nowhere while you're walking in the tall grass or whatever, you actually see them wandering about, you lock onto the Pokemon you want to capture and summon your Pokemon in real time, from there it's a turn based back and forth battle but all playing out in real time in the game environment, not switching to some generic battle screen and featuring dynamic animations for the attacks and so on.

Tell me that wouldn't be awesome.

I also picture this using Gen 1 Pokemon for simplicity and icongraphy's sake, though there could be areas with newer or all new Pokemon and any sequels could feature newer gens, but basically I see this as a semi-reboot for the franchise, going back to beginning while at the same time pushing the series into new territory.

Zannegan

Tell me that wouldn't be awesome.

I can't because it absolutely would be. =)

As for Gen One, it has some of my favorite pokemon designs (Abra, Dratini) but also some of my least favorite (Mr. Mime, Jynx... anything too human. Lol.) I'd favor a mix, personally. Anything animal, plant, or elemental inspired is all good. Everything else can be DLC. Lol.

Paul Gale

24 days to go. A lot of eyes are on Pokémon right now. It’ll be very interesting to see what comes of these rumors. Here’s hoping for the best.

It makes sense to pick Pikachu and Eevee: start your own Pokemon adventure with either the face of the brand, or the most versatile Pokemon available and go out and do whatever you want in this big world connected to reality through GO features/connectivity. Focus on beauty, become a breeder, seek out gym challenges, take upon the adventure you choose. Yeah, this thing is going to be insanely successful.

Last edited:
I can't because it absolutely would be. =)

As for Gen One, it has some of my favorite pokemon designs (Abra, Dratini) but also some of my least favorite (Mr. Mime, Jynx... anything too human. Lol.) I'd favor a mix, personally. Anything animal, plant, or elemental inspired is all good. Everything else can be DLC. Lol.

Thinking about it I think a mix would definitely be best, have some of gen 1 in there, maybe not everyone, but all the classics. Then you can also have newer gens and even all new ones the further you get in the game.

Basically think of like in BotW you had the starting area of Hyrule field, well the starting area could have classic Pokemon but the further you get out into the world the newer the Pokemon get.

Nintendo just HAS to do something like this, even if this is not what this currently rumored project turns out to be.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Updated with ">Like Go's first release, only Kanto pokemon will be available in Let's GO. "

Zannegan

Nintendo just HAS to do something like this, even if this is not what this currently rumored project turns out to be.

I'd be careful about expecting something from Nintendo (and especially Game Freak) on the basis that it makes perfect sense. That way lies disappointment. Lol.

Nintendo has always done its own thing, for better and for worse, and the Pokemon franchise is extremely conservative/iterative. I agree with everything you've said. BotW-engine Pokemon would be amazing. Nintendo and Gamefreak should do it, and soon--strike while the iron is hot. Unfortunately that doesn't mean it will happen.

That's more or less the story of the games industry as a whole: fun surprises and, just, the oddest of oddball decisions. Why would EA pay millions for dollars on Star Wars exclusivity only to release 3 console games and, what, 2 mobile games? Seems like a massive wasted opportunity, yet here we are.

Kenpachii

Pokemon needs a complete reboot to be honest.

Now the hardware is there, there are no more excuses. It's gonna be interesting to see gamefreak worms themselves out of this one tho.

Last edited:
Sounds like it's going to be a catastrophe, and then Pokemon GO will be the only hope for the franchise forward.

Was it THAT hard to have decent names, release a Breath of the Wild generation 8 that bridges a little with Pokemon GO but also sets a new standard for future games?

This would of been cool had Pokemon go not been ran into the ground by niantics poor support. If the game released in the state its in today.
Literally hot chicks everywhere playing Pokemon. I used the cat captain picture of "let me show you my pokeman" to pick a few up. It was glorious. Damn you niantic! DAMN YOU!!

Codes 208

Was it THAT hard to have decent names, release a Breath of the Wild generation 8 that bridges a little with Pokemon GO but also sets a new standard for future games?
Actually that does sound hard. BotW took Nintendo about 4 years to make, The easiest way out wouldve been just a flatout remake of R/B/G again.

E3 is the perfect time for a new pokemon reveal
That's literally when it was revealed. Last year right? Or is announced the right word? Besides any Nintendo direct is a great time. It's the only thing I watch if the 3 consoles and then I will watch tons of trailers.

TLZ

Banned
I did a quick pass of the rumor archive... elsewhere. Emily has way more Confirmed rumors than total misses. I'd rate her as "highly reliable." So sure, I believe this. Pokémon Go was a big deal for a while and is still I think decently popular. Nintendo would be foolish not to try to draw from it for the Switch game. EZA would say it's their fiduciary duty. :)
No she's not.

Whatever happens, I think it's happening before E3. I'm on the Team Emily-is-a-Stopped-Clock, but the rumors seem to be gaining entity.

If they end up being true, it's going to be really hard to pass on Pokemon for the first time ever

Well this isnt the reboot i wanted and believe pkmn needs, and i really dont like the GO tie in. It seems nintendo is making this game to get people to use the go app and raise its numbers, which in turn raise the IAPs and revenue, yet keeping them out of the switch game directly.

The me hanic of catching them similar to go at first was a turn off, but now im reconsidering that it could be fun. Right now catching a pokemon literally is select item, game automates, player maybe holds the B button. Possibly the player did a status attack pre item select. My point is its very static. By implementing a more interactive mechanic to the catching part not just the battling, the whole aspect of attaining pokemon becomes more dynamic. Which in theory could be for the best. So im optimistic until i see it.

The rest though i’m less enthused about. I dont think were gonna see much more thats unique and different from the standard of what we play already. Each iteration is tweaked just enough to keep return players interested, but its no way substantial.

If its true that initially the game will be kanto, then i can only imagine that dlc will open up new Areas. Boo.

Im wondering if theyll allow evee evolution from the start or theyll make you keep a normal evee for part of the game.

Alcaze

Neo Member
The idea of Go being implemented into this is quite a turn off, even if I do sometimes go back to it for a day or two, guess it's too much to ask for just a proper mainline title or a new Colosseum, still, i'll hold my judgement and see how it pans out. If it does look good, Eevee all the way.

Kenpachii

The idea of Go being implemented into this is quite a turn off, even if I do sometimes go back to it for a day or two, guess it's too much to ask for just a proper mainline title or a new Colosseum, still, i'll hold my judgement and see how it pans out. If it does look good, Eevee all the way.

I have zero faith in this company to deliver, it's probably going to look extremely lackbusting once again. but we will see tho.

I fired up Pokemon GO again and its actually pretty good now. I wouldn't mind connectivity between the two.
It would be a lot gunner if it wasn't summer in Texas.
There's a gym by someone's house in sitting outside on sidewalk dying nearly have the 2 blisseys knocked out then they filled up! I get them nearly all the way down again then full. THERE WAS NO ONE EVEN AROUND unless they happen to be in that house within distance of it.
So I walked half a mile further took back over the other gym I was knocked out of no problem.
There's a raid starting in 10mins this would be my first if I go in trying to hydrate.
Its a lot better off than when I left it. And new Pokemon everywhere! 1 lucky egg got me from 29 to 30

Chessr

How would the switch and the app even speak together? And how would you connect ? You can only login GO with a Gmail or a pokemon trainer club. And those 2 would be dumb to require on the switch when they allready have Nintendo acounts.

I think who ever leaked the information is just putting GO in there to have a little fun. Its not really there.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

How would the switch and the app even speak together? And how would you connect ? You can only login GO with a Gmail or a pokemon trainer club. And those 2 would be dumb to require on the switch when they allready have Nintendo acounts.

I think who ever leaked the information is just putting GO in there to have a little fun. Its not really there.

Well your telephone gathers datA and exchanges it with wifi towards your switch or through another connection like ir or even through a QR code or whatever communication device they got. Shouldn't be much of a issue. They could even allow you to upload that information towards nintendo servers and download it on your switch the moment you open the app. Like some cloud save that both sides read out.

Options enough.

Last edited:
Acting like its hard for a switch game to allow gmail or facebook login and pass info from server Pokemon go uses.

Does your switch have internet connectivity? Yes so it's everything it needs.

Jesus people

It most definitely is owned by the Pokemon Company
I wouldn't put too much weight unless it had come from the official pokemon account, honestly. There are four days left this month(3 if we go by Japan time) and if it isn't announced by the end, it's going to be announced during e3 or a few days before it.

Zannegan

So, we're expecting big news tomorrow based on that Project Eevee tease, or will this be a new plushy announced on that wacky Japanese Pokemon talk show?

Actually that does sound hard. BotW took Nintendo about 4 years to make, The easiest way out wouldve been just a flatout remake of R/B/G again.

I know this is from a week ago, but I just saw it, so I'm replying now. Hope that's okay.

Just a little devil's advocate argument here, but would it really take a comparable amount of time to do? I agree that it wouldn't be snap-your-fingers and it's done, but don't you think, after BotW did all the heavy lifting making sure the engine was up to snuff, and given the high-quality Pokemon models and animations already in the 3DS games, that it would take something closer to two years to make a traditional Pokemon adventure on a Zelda scale using that engine?

They still have to design and manufacture the overworld, of course, but Nintendo (like Ubisoft) has support studios who can assist with the creation of overworld assets, like Monolithsoft, who did excellent work on BotW and Mario Kart. That aside, I'm not sure what they would have to deal with that would be any more complex than their 3D Pokemon games already are.

Dr. Buni

Another terrible generation incoming? Because geez, they really messed up the series big time with the underwhelming XY and the awful Sun and Moon. Not to mention there are so many Pokémon species that is even hard to care and they don't seem to have any interest in stopping introducing dozens of new ones every three years. Unfortunately Pokémon isn't like Sonic where you can have 100 bad games without affecting a great one. Whatever crap they introduce to the series, like say Ultra Beasts, is there for good.

I was a happy Pokémon fan in 2010, playing Black/White and I didn't know.

To think I joined this site to post in the XY PokéBomb threads and now all I want is to avoid Pokémon news like the plague.

Last edited:

TannerDemoz

Really hope there's no more new Pokemon I can't take it. Plus character models just become closer and closer to furniture and other inanimate objects with every gen

Really hope there's no more new Pokemon I can't take it. Plus character models just become closer and closer to furniture and other inanimate objects with every gen
Yeah gen 1 is my favorite. But I like a few of them like the birds and typically at least 1 starter. I've only ever played original red, alpha sapphire, and moon.
The alolan form were a nice touch I think with story of different evolution paths they could honestly do something like that with the first few games. Maybe have urban evolutions where pikachu zaps you with his hand sideways

Kenpachii

Same here they could scratch any of the new pokemons after gen 1 i couldn't care about any of those. I hope they reboot the series completely with the switch game tho. But probably that's not going to happen. Probably just more of the same.

Yup - stop bloating the franchise and focus on gameplay, rebalancing, story, pretty much everything else... christ this series has jumped the shark so hard imo, it needs a serious rethink, and not some half hearted new pokemon to keep bringig people back. ( what do i know though people do keep coming back for the new forms)

Yagami_Sama

Shocking news ? Like the other Japanese magazine and a shocking news related to Splatoon 2 ? Interesting.

So, 2 days to go and better be something related to the new game or else people will riot.

It’s amazing to think that a franchise the likes of Pokémon hasn’t even scratched the surface of its true potential as a series the way that Ocarina of Time did for Zelda, Super Metroid, and Super Mario 64.

The switch has been on a hot streak that hasn’t been since Nintendo 64/GCN era when it comes to their first party offeirngs. The best is yet to come!

Last edited:
Well this isnt the reboot i wanted and believe pkmn needs, and i really dont like the GO tie in. It seems nintendo is making this game to get people to use the go app and raise its numbers, which in turn raise the IAPs and revenue, yet keeping them out of the switch game directly.

Nintendo barely makes any money off Pokemon GO. They didn't develop or publish GO. People tend to assume that Nintendo owns Pokemon outright and makes all the money from all the Pokemon ventures, but that's not the case. That's why Nintendo's stock shot up and then tanked shortly after GO's launch:

By July 22, Nintendo gained ¥1.8 trillion ($17.6 billion) in market capitalization since the game's launch.[104] However, following clarification from Nintendo that the company did not produce Pokémon Go nor had tangible financial gains from it, its stock fell by 18%—equating to a ¥708 billion ($6.7 billion) loss in market value—on July 25.[104][105] This was the largest single-day decline for Nintendo since 1990 and the maximum one-day exchange of finances allowed on the Tokyo Stock Exchange. The company has an approximate 13% "effective economic stake" in the game, according to Macquarie Securities.[104]

So are they calling this a mainline title or a fun spin off game?

Because not gonna lie, Pokemon Go is a LOT better now than it was at launch, but I would absolutely hate it if they ditched their traditional mainline structure

TannerDemoz

Nintendo barely makes any money off Pokemon GO. They didn't develop or publish GO. People tend to assume that Nintendo owns Pokemon outright and makes all the money from all the Pokemon ventures, but that's not the case. That's why Nintendo's stock shot up and then tanked shortly after GO's launch:

The brand visibility from GO is worth millions in itself. Nintendo is making lots of money off GO, just not in the traditional sense.

Codes 208

So are they calling this a mainline title or a fun spin off game?

Because not gonna lie, Pokemon Go is a LOT better now than it was at launch, but I would absolutely hate it if they ditched their traditional mainline structure
During the switch launch event, TPC specifically said that alongside pokken, "...gamefreak has started the next core pokemon rpg for nintendo switch. It may not release for over a year..." which was already 15 months ago.
The next major pokemon reveal should be the next installment

Last edited:
The brand visibility from GO is worth millions in itself. Nintendo is making lots of money off GO, just not in the traditional sense.

They are objectively NOT making lots of money off of GO. If they were (even in a non-traditional sense, whatever that means), then they wouldn't have told their investors, "Hey guys, this game is literally affecting our financial outlook in no positive way-- sorry about the confusion!"

If they release their own Switch game, then maybe they could get some conversion from GO players to Switch version, but only if the Switch version stands out on its own and is a major improvement over the mobile version.

Top Bottom