• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Mass Effect Andromeda is about Colonialism

adj_noun

Wait wait wait

They won't let us start our own empire...will they?

Come on, Bioware, Obsidian's doing the bad guy thing. Let me Sheev the aliens.

Kinyou

Wait wait wait

They won't let us start our own empire...will they?

Come on, Bioware, Obsidian's doing the bad guy thing. Let me Sheev the aliens.
Would probably have to approach that really careful. I can imagine a lot of outrage if they let you exploit poor natives.

vcc

They've stated more or less that, to them, ME is very much about playing a human and experiencing the universe from that perspective.

I'd say it's even more specific and it's a sci fi opera from a Canadian perspective.

Humans in ME are a middle power, swinging above their weight. They aren't a military/economic/scientific super power but keeps up enough to be relevant. The paragon path is very Canadian. Valuing diversity, cooperation and order over results, effectiveness or power.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
I only want from this mass effect is the option to land with the mako in the planets and explore.I want to be a explorer with the mako.

Sou Da

Considering Bioware's attitude towards colonialism in SW:tOR is usually to have the player slaughter hordes of enemies some of whom are explicitly named as "savages", I wouldn't really have much faith in them handing the theme well.
You do know that you're not supposed to feel good or in control about that right?

diaspora

I'd say it's even more specific and it's a sci fi opera from a Canadian perspective.

Humans in ME are a middle power, swinging above their weight. They aren't a military/economic/scientific super power but keeps up enough to be relevant. The paragon path is very Canadian. Valuing diversity, cooperation and order over results, effectiveness or power.
I never thought about it that way, but that's not a bad thought.

You do know that you're not supposed to feel good or in control about that right?
Yeah, seriously.

Is there anyone who thinks that the indigenous people will be the only enemy? While it may not be reapers, I expect something/someone else to blow the scope wide open by the ending credits.

BryanGT

One more thing about the armor design: Why does it have a large glass canopy running across the top of the head? What functionality does that serve? I assume PathShepard can't look up above her/his head?

Aside from is being some made up shit?

Instead of glass, it's possible that the "visor" is a force field. If that were the case the rest of the helmet could slide down and become a collar for the wearer in normal atmosphere. If there were a sudden pressure drop then the helmet could snap up in a single vector (unarticulated == faster), and then snap on the force field for the visor.

Mrmartel

Banned
IhfC5Me.jpg

Renegade points all over my body

This is the greatest speech ever omitted from a movie. Would've made Avatar ten times better.

diaspora

See what's interesting is the idea of humanity and... a krogan(?) colonizing the new galaxy but at the same time not having a home to go back to. Shit's a one-way trip. Refugees as much as conquerors.

nded

This is the greatest speech ever omitted from a movie. Would've made Avatar ten times better.

Isn't it W40K fan fiction?

That N'avi rebuttal a few pages back is somewhat apt, if poorly written. W40K humanity is in a sad state, being essentially a collapsing Space Rome scrambling to maintain knowledge and technology it barely understands.

Oltsu

Banned
I would really love a bold ME game about colonialism that would give the player real choices and shades of grey between each choice.

However knowing bioware if they're actually trying to tackle a topic this charged it wont be anywhere near interesting, just something horribly preachy. Political tensions are high enough that I'd never trust bioware not to constantly make sure that the player knows what they consider the morally right option instead of letting the player think for himself/herself.

How amazing would it be to make a decision between the welfare of your crew and a welfare of some peaceful and powerless race, witness the consequences of your choice and deal with the fallout throughout the game, both negatives and positives on all sides.

But instead it's gonna be: You made the red choice, now have +6 "evil" points and listen to admiral Hackett jr. explain in a single sentence that alien race X didn't like that you took their space mangos. Now let's forget that any of that happened and move on to a different planet with space pineapples to steal.

http://i.imgur.com/TWIEkYl.jpg

And yes, pls bioware let us go all Javik on all the primitives and give them a "choice".

No half assed "angry lovable renegade guy shepard" only nonsense, full on evil options included too.

Mivey

And yes, pls bioware let us go all Javik on all the primitives and give them a "choice".

No half assed "angry lovable renegade guy shepard" only nonsense, full on evil options included too.
Why not? Everyone wants to be "adorable fascist shepard, who occasionally enacts brutal genocide"

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!

ME3 did have a few "full on evil" options like
killing Mordin who only wanted to cure the Krogans to help us fight the Reapers, killing Samara's daughter after she saw her mother kill herself in front of her, then killing Wrex after he got rightfully enraged at you for betraying him and his whole race with a fake Genophage cure. Then you have Shepard letting Legion kill all Quarians while Tali beg you not to do it, then she kills herself

ME3 went a little too much on "fuck everything, I'm evil". Didn't really fit with Shepard sometimes.
Not saying it wouldn't fit with the new hero. Who knows how Bioware will do it this time.

Top Bottom