• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Microsoft announcing Indie self-publishing for Xbox One this week at BUILD?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
About 6 months ago, this is what I expected. It made sense after all.

Now? Well it only remains to be seen how 180 the system really is.

QaaQer

This is good news for indie devs, they shouldn't have to deal with these types of shitty roadblocks to deliver their games.

Very much doubt we'll see a pricedrop prior to, or even 6 months following, launch. MS have had a humiliating experience already, a price drop before the thing is on the shelves screams "we have no idea what we're doing".

IDK about that. The Mattrick quote in the post above yours sounds a little ominous.

Yep, as stated by various posters, me included: they simply must fold on their publishing rules, the more open policies from Sony and Nintendo are forcing their hands.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Yes, keep on capitulating Microsoft to return to the fold. Now all you need is an announcement guaranteeing you will never return to those DRM policies and a $100 price reduction and I might be able to jump in earlier!

You're never going to get an announcement from any company saying "You know that thing we're doing? We're doing it. You know that thing we were doing but aren't anymore? We're not doing it. We double dog guarantee that's the truth for now and forever, black stamp no return."

Ushae

Banned
I wanna see lot's of crazy Kinect indy games, make it happen MS.

If anything the ubiquitous nature of the device makes it almost perfect for indie devs to work with. With the PS4 platform there will be a hugely lower number of people with the camera or move/wiimote thingy.

Rlan

I'm hoping that Microsoft open up to indies at Build, but i highly doubt that it'll be windows 8 store support.

For one, any Xbox Live integration on Win 8 is with the old Xbox Live. Actually it's not even really up to scratch with that having worked with it. The functionality of live in Win8, WP8 and Xbox is quite different, but the data comes from the same pool.

Xbox One seems to be changing this again, having Windows 8 on there is kind of like having Wii backwards compatibilty on te Wii U.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I'm hoping that Microsoft open up to indies at Build, but i highly doubt that it'll be windows 8 store support.

For one, any Xbox Live integration on Win 8 is with the old Xbox Live. Actually it's not even really up to scratch with that having worked with it. The functionality of live in Win8, WP8 and Xbox is quite different, but the data comes from the same pool.

Xbox One seems to be changing this again, having Windows 8 on there is kind of like having Wii backwards compatibilty on te Wii U.

I'd guess the Windows 8 side of things getting updated is one of the things they will talk about? We've already seen the new smart glass so it must be talking to the new network?

In fact now that you mention it, as they call everything game related Xbox now, I wouldn't be surprised if the only Xbox announcement is the new APIs for Windows Store games.

Kinyou

What's the point of not allowing it anyway?

Also I'm a little bothered that lots of indie games seem to go PS4/XB1 only. It might make sense for a game like the Witness but a game like Below? Come on...

I'll laugh if Microsoft turns around and says "nope, no self-publishing, you still need to sign a deal with a publisher to get on the Xbone", ensuring that the PS4 (and, to a lesser extent, the WiiU) become the console home for indie devs this gen.

I will be surprised if there's any sort of association or cross-compatibility with Windows 8 apps and Xbone. Microsoft has made no indication that they're going down that route, and personally I suspect it'll be more bother than it's worth for everyone involved.

ekim

What's the point of not allowing it anyway?

Also I'm a little bothered that lots of indie games seem to go PS4/XB1 only. It might make sense for a game like the Witness but a game like Below? Come on...

Why does it make sense for the Witness?

Xater

Guess this is good but I'm not a fan of indie games.

What does that even mean? You don't like games that are not by a big publisher? Why does that even matter? I am sure already played indie games, liked them and don't even know that they were indie.

M3d10n

Will those games be trapped in the Windows VM with all the limited access to hardware that entails? That's the real question in my mind.

That's my worry too. I'm sure the XBone will access the Windows Store in some form (apps will probably need to be flagged as XBone compatible since they'll need to work using a gamepad or kinect, not touch/mouse), but if that's the only way for independent developers other than selling themselves to a publisher then we'll have another "indie ghetto" situation.

I doubt this is true. Nintendo's tool chain alone seems like a huge hurdle. And everyone has Unity support.

Yeah, I have no idea where Nintendo fans got this idea or how they came up with it, blind hope I guess?

Anyway, it's good that Microsoft are FINALLY listening but if the talk about self-published indie games being treated as apps is true then that's a half assed solution.

Honestly, does anyone actually care, provided the change is for the better? Even those that claim to care will forget in a few weeks. Consumers have been shown to be readily forgetful, RROD and the PSN hack made this a cold, hard fact.

We'll never know what would have happened where RROD never happened but I think it caused a lot of damage to the brand.

Arkanius

Does the Windows VM get access to the full hardware?
Self Publishing on the Windows Store could be a great move for Indies and Windows 8 with one stone.
But if developers are limited in what they can make, it's stupid then.

DieH@rd

Banned
So... instead of giving indie devs majority of the hardware to play with, they are gonna shove them into small part of the the 2core cpu/3gb ram OS partition and 10% of GPU capabilities, enabling them to produce only countless apps that are present on tablets/phones.

:-/ Oh well... better that than nothing. At least Xbone players will be able to play Where's My Water on their HDTV's... ~_~

Meanwhile, Sony is allowing self-publishing for games that can take advantage from full PS4 hardware [~6 CPU cores, ~6GB of ram, ~90% of GPU].

Arkanius

So... instead of giving indie devs majority of the hardware to play with, they are gonna shove them into small part of the the 2core cpu/3gb ram OS partition and 10% of GPU capabilities, enabling them to produce only countless apps that are present on tablets/phones.

:-/ Oh well... better that than nothing. At least Xbone players will be able to play Where's My Water on their HDTV's... ~_~

Meanwhile, Sony is allowing self-publishing for games that can take advantage from full PS4 hardware [~6 CPU cores, ~6GB of ram, ~90% of GPU].

Microsoft could really shoot themselves on the foot like that, which makes me scared.
God damnit MS, you aren't making my life any easier supporting you.

Yeah, everyone just imagined all the stupid comments Microsoft made at E3. It was a dream!

Wow. You have absolutely no clue what you're talking about, do you?
You don't even know what is conference right?

Yeah right,Sony is first company allow indie to self-publish in their console/Client,ok
It's nothing wrong with which company first or latest,but i guess because it's MS so let's make it sound bad.

I think this is great, but I wonder how many devs will even bother with them after the whole SNAFU in the first place. Not to mention how many burned bridges there are from some major indie devs. We'll have to see though, before we dismiss this move.

I don't think they lacked a vision for the console, is just that the vision the had for was an horrendous, out of place one.

The more competition, the better. Fix this crap, MS. Fix it until I can finally buy one for Quantum Break 2 years from now. In the meantime, I will happily own a PS4.

Until MS drops the price by $100 and somehow manages to fit in 8GB of GDDR RAM within the next few months, then no.

There's nothing wrong with catching up with competition. A competitive console space is better than a monopoly from one of them.

Is not like people said "replace the cell and you might have a chance" or "give us better than 2 gamecubes duct taped or else"

But have you seen Titanfall?

One step closer of becoming a bannable meme, let's hope.
I hope you don't take it personal, gaf user with that lovely avatar.

Wynnebeck

Banned
But have you seen Titanfall?

lol Never gets old.

Yeah right,Sony is first company allow indie to self-publish in their console/Client,ok
It's nothing wrong with which company first or latest,but i guess because it's MS so let's make it sound bad.

Oh please. MS had all the time in the world to right their wrongs from May to E3 and instead, they tried to push their agenda on consumers only to have them push back. This confirmation bias stuff needs to stop. Stuff goes wrong, people are going to call it out. Best believe if Sony fucked up (making online behind a paywall) we'd be hearing about it too.

There's nothing wrong with catching up with competition. A competitive console space is better than a monopoly from one of them.

Is not like people said "replace the cell and you might have a chance" or "give us better than 2 gamecubes duct taped or else"

Oh, I'm not saying that they aren't catching up with changing features but it's going to take some price cuts and other things to put them on parity with PS4 at this point imo.

lol Never gets old.

Oh please. MS had all the time in the world to right their wrongs from May to E3 and instead, they tried to push their agenda on consumers only to have them push back. This confirmation bias stuff needs to stop. Stuff goes wrong, people are going to call it out. Best believe if Sony fucked up (making online behind a paywall) we'd be hearing about it too.
That's why i said BEFORE E3,the E3 conference is nothing wrong and good
Like if they don't announce anything about anti-used games+24 hour DRM or announce they're not going do that before E3(June 7 right?),you may/should won't heard these stupid comments by Don

You don't know what E3 is, right? It's not just a bunch of conferences.

Correct.

Your Steam comparison was dumb because Steam isn't a console, they don't have to worry about devkits, dev environment, dev tools, developer support, etc. They're simply a store front, Steam integration is optional.

Your Nintendo comparison was dumb because it's the other way around. Nintendo are copying Sony and they still have a long way to go to even draw level with them, let alone beat them. Honestly, I doubt they ever will because that would require far more investment than Nintendo would probably be comfortable with doing.

Microsoft haven't announced shit for indies, so yes, that's bad. And it'll also be bad if they segregate indies into their app service.

Stop living in your dream world where everyone just wants to bully one of the most powerful companies on the planet and look around at the reasons why Microsoft are being so heavily criticised.

They did not fuck up anything in E3,what you saying is before E3,in E3 they just games and games and games,it's a good conference

You must have short term memory issues.

They fucked up at E3. They announced a higher price point. They doubled down on PR bullshit for the DRM. They had an absolute PR disaster. Their conference isn't E3. The whole week was E3, and just because they had a great show doesn't mean everything else they did was ok.

wsippel

Banned
I doubt this is true. Nintendo's tool chain alone seems like a huge hurdle. And everyone has Unity support.
What is this hurdle you're talking about? Also, Wii U is the only next gen platform running Unity right now. And there's "being able to run an engine", and then there is "giving an engine away for free" - which is what Nintendo does. Unity console licenses are not exactly cheap.

They might announce something but there's no way they are ready to actually do anything this year if this is all a reaction to E3.

This is not a reaction to E3. Ms announcing at build a somewhat integrated app store between W8/Xbox/WP8 has been hinted and rumored for quite some time now.

They even confirmed they would talk about xbox at Build this year before the console was even revealed.

Yes, keep on capitulating Microsoft to return to the fold. Now all you need is an announcement guaranteeing you will never return to those DRM policies and a $100 price reduction and I might be able to jump in earlier!

This was always the plan for self publishing. This page went live earlier this year, pre X1 announcement. When you are charging developers the following amount you cant really rob them the benefit of hearing the plans first hand at the event.

Early bird (first 500): $1,595 // Full: $2,095

It'll come, it's not a 180 just another pissy PR blunder which show Microsoft have screwed up their public relations department beyond repair - unless they replace it completely.

lol Never gets old.

Oh, I'm not saying that they aren't catching up with changing features but it's going to take some price cuts and other things to put them on parity with PS4 at this point imo.

Oh sure, that's absolutely right and I agree. I Do think they can jump fence those disadvantages through a really compelling software line-up and maybe in a distant future, with both Illumiroom and Fortaleza as Kinect did for the 360, but at the same time, Sony seems way more ahead of the curve and clear about the PS4 that is almost impossible to see them not being ahead on sales.

You don't know what E3 is, right? It's not just a bunch of conferences.

Correct.

Your Steam comparison was dumb because Steam isn't a console, they don't have to worry about devkits, dev environment, dev tools, developer support, etc. They're simply a store front, Steam integration is optional.

Your Nintendo comparison was dumb because it's the other way around. Nintendo are copying Sony and they still have a long way to go to even draw level with them, let alone beat them. Honestly, I doubt they ever will because that would require far more investment than Nintendo would probably be comfortable with doing.

Microsoft haven't announced shit for indies, so yes, that's bad. And it'll also be bad if they segregate indies into their app service.

Stop living in your dream world where everyone just wants to bully one of the most powerful companies on the planet and look around at the reasons why Microsoft are being so heavily criticised.
I'm talking about the conference
And i already said console/client
And again what's wrong with "copying" if it's good thing?Nintendo did it first(compare to Sony),and Sony will do that later,is that means bad because Nintendo did it earlier?i guess not

And stop living in your dream you act like not to be bias,am i said PS4 will lose or something?

You must have short term memory issues.

They fucked up at E3. They announced a higher price point. They doubled down on PR bullshit for the DRM. They had an absolute PR disaster. Their conference isn't E3. The whole week was E3, and just because they had a great show doesn't mean everything else they did was ok.
Read #143

http://www.zdnet.com/the-build-up-to-microsofts-build-2013-7000016901/

Microsoft is known to be working to deliver even more common code across its phone, PC/tablet and entertainment console product lines. But that doesn't mean developers should expect a "write once, run on any version of Windows" experience to arrive in full in 2013. Unifying the app stores across these product lines also doesn't appear to be a 2013 thing, either, from what I'm hearing.

On the Xbox One front, Microsoft officials have said the company's new console operating system is actually three OSes in one. The "gaming" OS (residing in the "exclusive partition") is going to be where Microsoft-sanctioned third-party games will live. But Microsoft is expected to continue to gate which games will integrate with Xbox Live via a certification process, which means a "public" SDK for Xbox One doesn't seem like a 2013 deliverable. If Microsoft creates an app store for indepedent developers for Xbox One, that store won't be open for business in 2013, from what I've heard.

Wynnebeck

Banned
That's why i said BEFORE E3,the E3 conference is nothing wrong and good. Like if they don't announce anything about anti-used games+24 hour DRM or announce they're not going do that before E3(June 7 right?),you may/should won't heard these stupid comments by Don

Well obviously they wouldn't say that before the E3 conference because they were trying to ride the wave of hype to E3 where they hit a brick wall as soon as they announced $499. Then after, they made it even worse by giving details on the DRM plan. If E3 wasn't as bad as you are making it, we wouldn't be at this point with MS at the moment.

Read #143

Ok...

That's why i said BEFORE E3,the E3 conference is nothing wrong and good
Like if they don't announce anything about anti-used games+24 hour DRM or announce they're not going do that before E3(June 7 right?),you may/should won't heard these stupid comments by Don

Hmmm... let's go back farther...

They did not fuck up anything in E3,what you saying is before E3,in E3 they just games and games and games,it's a good conference

You're moving the goalposts from your original comment. They fucked up E3. They fucked up before E3, and they fucked up AFTER E3. The highlight for them, by far, was their conference. And you said they did fine this E3 because of that conference. And that's where you're wrong.

If true that's good news for indie games. Everyone should be able to play Octodad

Well, I'm not saying MS are in the lead or something like that but look at the situation: Sony were proudly saying stuff like "look, we're embracing the indie scene! look we are DRM free!" at the E3 conference. They were in a pretty big lead back then. But now, MS seems to be catching up, and just by easily removing those restrictions. I won't be surprised if they announce a Kinect-less XB1 unit who is 100-150 bucks cheaper at gamescom. That would be a pretty big blow to Sony who are still in the lead imo, don't get me wrong.

Also, sorry for being off topic.

Where do you see them "catching up" exactly?...Nintendo and Steam have also been allowing indies to self-publish, it's not an exclusive thing to the PS4. It has more to do with the fact that Sony were ahead of Microsoft in saying "we are DRM free" and "we are catering to indies"...whereas Microsoft is pretty much changing their policies left and right because the XB1's development was apparently mismanaged and a little too focused on television and the cloud. They honestly believed DRM was a legitimate strategy until people had to rally against it.

They will not release a Kinectless SKU before launch and it certainly won't be that cheap. The reason why they are bundling it is so they won't segment their market and they won't need another $500 million ad campaign to stir up interest

Top Bottom