• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft is looking to acquire Obsidian Entertainment (CONFIRMED)

If Sony bought Ninja Theory, we'd get an announcement of Hellblade 2 for PS4, and a release on PS6. /semi half-not-really-kidding

Ninja Theory is AWESOME, Hellblade is one of the best games I've played and beat in recent times. That purchase proves to me that Microsoft knows what it's doing as far as the Xbox division is concerned. Buying Obsidian would solidify that fact even more so after PoE 2.

Sony did a great job with the PS4 at the get-go. Microsoft has done a fantastic job since the X1X dropped. MS has the momentum, they have the hardware, and they're acquiring the studios to provide that 1st party goodness.

Competition is good, and what's gets us, as gamers, the games that endure. I don't see anything wrong with that. It's really a case of "Let them Fight". We all win with that scenario.

Agreed, its just too bad we never got to see Heavenly Sword 2.

Agreed, its just too bad we never got to see Heavenly Sword 2.

Yeah, shit happens. It's too bad we'll never get an Icewind Dale 2 Enhanced Edition, or by the sounds of it, NWN2 Enhanced Edition.

Just gotta roll with the punches. But ultimately, I'd rather get more from Ninja Theory AND Obsidian, than nothing. Got to look at the bigger picture.

Foxbat

Banned
Thelastword is mighty impressive with his console warz dedication. I begin to question the mental well being of someone who takes that kinda thing so seriously. It's almost like he's talking at people rather than to them. An odd poster indeed.

MS should buy Obsidian. < My obligatory "on topic" statement to avoid the mods since apparently that's how it works.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Thelastword is mighty impressive with his console warz dedication. I begin to question the mental well being of someone who takes that kinda thing so seriously. It's almost like he's talking at people rather than to them. An odd poster indeed.

MS should buy Obsidian. < My obligatory "on topic" statement to avoid the mods since apparently that's how it works.
He's a troll looking to incite some console wars drama. Best to just report his bullshit and then add him to your ignore list. Trust me, it'll make your time browsing NeoGAF that much better.

Microsoft needs a Japanese studio.
As long as it doesn't involve buying out an existing studio because I don't want franchises I care about (that were supported by the Nintendo/Sony/PC userbase) to be bought up by a company whose users historically haven't supported Japanese games a damn bit outside of Dark Souls and Final Fantasy.

I hope MS continues to invest in new studios and make more acquisitions. Ninja theory just confirmed that they are currently working on multiple projects and they've been hiring a lot lately in fact most MS 1st party devs have been hiring a lot lately.

Last edited:

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
I hope MS continues to invest in new studios and make more acquisitions. Ninja theory just confirmed that they are currently working on multiple projects and they've been hiring a lot lately in fact most MS 1st party devs have been hiring a lot lately.
Microsoft are in fact acquiring more studios. When we'll find out.....who knows.

Corrik

PS3 was 4 billion in R&D, so Sony can go full throttle for hardware if they wish it, but after spending all that, giving the best BC gamers have ever seen (by giving two generations worth of BC in PS1+PS2), where every single title, not some, all could be played......Where they thought a second cell for the GPU would pan out by Ken Kutaragi, but had to settle for an expensive but not the best GPU solution from NV, as they were already a bit late to the market. Yet PS3 was packed with tech and their plans for it was bigger (with a cell GPU), but not everything panned out, they had to release it. Yet PS3 had the; Bluray Drive, SACD, Other OS, USB ports galore etc, even the external was premium. Yet Sony learnt lots from that, BC is not a hardware seller, a $500-600 premium console is a no go, price is important to the consumer, extras are not so important, use the money and put in a better GPU, put in more Ram, put in a better CPU......Make the console more accessible to devs, These are the lessons they learnt on hardware last gen....

Yet for PS5, Sony can go full throttle and take a loss again, because of all the success they've had this gen and because they know people will go where the games are. So they can do 7nm Navi and Ryzen at launch and in two years recoup some costs with a slim at 5nm.....I think Sony will go full throttle on PS5, there is no doubt about that, so anyone thinking MS will automatically have a more powerful console are not being realistic, besides, it's Sony collaborating with AMD on Navi, it's Sony who's had Vega features in PS4-PRO, 1 year before XBONEX and they could have had XBONEX performance 1 year earlier with a $500 PRO, but they realized since last gen that price is important...($400 is their target)....I'm thinking PS5 will be a $600 box sold at $400 in 2020.....

Woah! is this a commercial?

So if all this is a "Phil says" joint.......Then you should also remember some choice quotes......

Phil said "XBONEX is a TRUE 4k console, with the best framerates, none of that Checkerboard, Upscaling stuff you see on PRO etc, PRO should be compared to XBONE-S if anything"

https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/13/15790162/microsoft-phil-spencer-xbox-one-x-vs-ps4-pro-interview

Phil said "The high profile games are coming, just wait baby"

It's been five years............Last year when Phil said he's going to show some major titles, he showed Forza 7 as the only AAA title at E3 and said he considered Ori, SOT, Super Lucky's Tales to be major announcements, SMH.....

Phil said "We have some major projects we can't show you yet baby"

Phil then went on to cancel fable legends and scalebound and at this years E3 announces five studios, where one is not even formed yet, two have been making XBOX games (FORZA and SOD), one is an indie studio that just released a game sitting at 63 MC with only 5 reviews on XBOX, farless for when it gets more reviews....Ninja theory, which have been strapped for cash and has never made a huge hit or hardware-moving game is also on board. Yet Phil says, there's lots in the oven for years ongoing, so where were those games at this year's E3, when Crackdown has been in limbo since launch (as the cloud powered behemoth), another promise of huge things yet again. I mean when will people learn.

Phil's PR team said "Quantum Break, Sunset Overdrive exceeded all expectations"

Where are the sequels? Dead, MS and these teams broke ties soon after....Now, Insomniac is now making it's biggest game ever on PS4 and Remedy has gone multiplat with Control, which was shown at a Sony conference, strangely....

Phil and his team says "We're no longer giving numbers, because that's an ancient way of reporting"

I mean you have to be as dense as a forest to not get a clue, I mean everything is hidden behind "exceeded expectations", 10 billion dives into the ocean of thieves, 5000 bodyless krakens defeated etc...and they are slammed in NPD every month, Nintendo is outselling them.....

I mean do we forget what Phil's old pal Aaron Greenberg said "MS would never concede power to a Sony system"

He was talking about Xbox One vs PS4.....He also said "People buy XBOX because we have the biggest exclusives" ;) I mean.....

How can any of these guys know which console is going to be more powerful, if they don't know what Sony will have under the hood and in what timeframe they will release? How can they know. The only reason that Scorpio is more powerful than PRO is because it came 1 year later, with less features than PRO at that for $100 more. Some people really have to remove the wool from their eyes......

As for Obsidian, I hope it does not happen because MS has a knack of destroying devs. Hell, Bungie wanted to jump ship so bad as they were stuck in Halo limbo, so they did. Rare is done, Remedy is done. Those Forza Horizon guys should know they're in it for the longhaul, if and when Fable bombs, they will be back shooting out Horizon's every other year for the rest of their lives...Insomniac had a taste with Sunset overdrive, they're back at Sony. MS purchasing a team is just a bad omen, Ninja Theory better pray that it works out for them, as I liked that team. I truly hope they don't go under, but the writing on the wall is all too familiar..
Are you seriously in this thread to troll Xbox?

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
This is a known "fact"?

Edit: Source?
Jez or (Jaz) for Window's Central reported that not long after the first five studio announcements, he received a phone call from an Exec at Microsoft, stating, "This is just the beginning."

Phil Spencer has also gone on record stating that they are still making acquisitions. He can't announce anything until the deals go thro. There's plenty of information on line about this topic. Google is your friend. But, yes. This is a fact! Microsoft are still buying studios. It isnt over...

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Already created the studio just need to offer him a job at the Initiative. Already hired plenty of big names but.
I am sure Darell will make something like Tomb Raider but with a higher budget. If they make a new studio with with Chris Avellone and hire some ex-Obsidian and Bioware staff they can revive old Bioware and Obsidian's legacy and possibly even reboot Shadowrun.

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Regarding Stormlands and Obsidian I wonder why no one talks about this interview from Chris Avellone before making Microsoft the bad guys

On Stormlands, one of Obsidian’s canceled projects.

Sunday, May 6, 1:05 PM: “Feargus didn’t do it to Bethesda, but he certainly painted a different picture of how the Microsoft Stormlands cancellation went down – because he had no choice. While I don’t think all of Microsoft’s requests were something we could have done (although they might have been willing to pay to have it done), there was room for discussion and middle ground, but they were repeatedly told “no,” in very forceful terms. Having got the same reactions to feedback I’ve given, I can say it makes you hesitate before doing it again. When it started becoming apparent they were going to pull away, Feargus worked very hard to try and save that relationship, but it was too late. It was definitely not something Feargus wanted, however, but after the fact, he had little choice but to highlight the nobility of the studio’s stance when the project was canceled, and arguably, the story also worked well for crowdsourcing messaging as it garnered a lot of sympathy (it’s one reason the documentary video for the KS feels disingenuous). From my view, it was not a case of a noble developer standing up to the big publisher even though that makes for a better story… the developer drove the publisher away, when that was the exact opposite of what upper management wanted to do (they wanted to do large, expensive AAA titles). The event certainly did a lot of damage to the studio, and we had to let a lot of good people go as a result of the decisions of a few, and I think it could have been handled differently if we weren’t so difficult to work with overall on multiple levels. As icing on an otherwise dismal layoff day, after I had had to go through letting people go (who were not on Stormlands and had done nothing to contribute to its failure), I came back to report to the other owners, only to hear from Feargus that one employee he was going to let go was retained – our front desk receptionist, Feargus’s sister. I still wonder to this day if that had meant I could have kept one of the employees we had who had an equivalent salary and was actually contributing to our projects, but I was too furious at the news to speak.”

Sunday, May 6, 2:05 PM: “[Stormlands] was exactly the opportunity many in the studio wanted (a good chunk of the upper management wanted to do an AAA game to make their mark and have said as much in interviews – I don’t think you need to do it via AAA to make your mark, but I don’t object to the sentiment to want to do so). The Microsoft deal seemed to be a great way to have a solid foundation for once. It might be challenging, but it was worth fighting for. However, the problems increased over time on both sides until Microsoft didn’t want to deal with it anymore, and I didn’t blame them. I wouldn’t even have minded us going our separate ways except there was no contingency plan in place for when it happened (although we were able to keep some team members – I do think a number of people who weren’t responsible for what happened, inc. the Lead Producer and Lead Programmer, didn’t deserve to be let go while others who had directly contributed to the problem got to stay). Aliens was a bit more confusing, but one fact there is it’s sometimes said the game was close to being done, which wasn’t the case: it was at vertical slice stage (and a good one, I thought), then it got cancelled, but much of the full production work had not been done, it wasn’t close to shipping or anything as some people assume.”

Most People know that they cant push for "Microsoft is evil" narrative if they acknowledge the facts.

As long as it doesn't involve buying out an existing studio because I don't want franchises I care about (that were supported by the Nintendo/Sony/PC userbase) to be bought up by a company whose users historically haven't supported Japanese games a damn bit outside of Dark Souls and Final Fantasy.

You sit there and argue about what those users do like they are the plague. You refuse to buy games on Windows Store and you refuse to buy an Xbox. So tell me again how Microsoft is supposed to get your business because it just seems like you're here just to be pissy about anything they are rumored to do and just want everything on your PS4 and Steam. Sorry to break the news to you buddy but Microsoft ain't going to go away.

Regarding Stormlands and Obsidian I wonder why no one talks about this interview from Chris Avellone before making Microsoft the bad guys

On Stormlands, one of Obsidian’s canceled projects.

Sunday, May 6, 1:05 PM: “Feargus didn’t do it to Bethesda, but he certainly painted a different picture of how the Microsoft Stormlands cancellation went down – because he had no choice. While I don’t think all of Microsoft’s requests were something we could have done (although they might have been willing to pay to have it done), there was room for discussion and middle ground, but they were repeatedly told “no,” in very forceful terms. Having got the same reactions to feedback I’ve given, I can say it makes you hesitate before doing it again. When it started becoming apparent they were going to pull away, Feargus worked very hard to try and save that relationship, but it was too late. It was definitely not something Feargus wanted, however, but after the fact, he had little choice but to highlight the nobility of the studio’s stance when the project was canceled, and arguably, the story also worked well for crowdsourcing messaging as it garnered a lot of sympathy (it’s one reason the documentary video for the KS feels disingenuous). From my view, it was not a case of a noble developer standing up to the big publisher even though that makes for a better story… the developer drove the publisher away, when that was the exact opposite of what upper management wanted to do (they wanted to do large, expensive AAA titles). The event certainly did a lot of damage to the studio, and we had to let a lot of good people go as a result of the decisions of a few, and I think it could have been handled differently if we weren’t so difficult to work with overall on multiple levels. As icing on an otherwise dismal layoff day, after I had had to go through letting people go (who were not on Stormlands and had done nothing to contribute to its failure), I came back to report to the other owners, only to hear from Feargus that one employee he was going to let go was retained – our front desk receptionist, Feargus’s sister. I still wonder to this day if that had meant I could have kept one of the employees we had who had an equivalent salary and was actually contributing to our projects, but I was too furious at the news to speak.”

Sunday, May 6, 2:05 PM: “[Stormlands] was exactly the opportunity many in the studio wanted (a good chunk of the upper management wanted to do an AAA game to make their mark and have said as much in interviews – I don’t think you need to do it via AAA to make your mark, but I don’t object to the sentiment to want to do so). The Microsoft deal seemed to be a great way to have a solid foundation for once. It might be challenging, but it was worth fighting for. However, the problems increased over time on both sides until Microsoft didn’t want to deal with it anymore, and I didn’t blame them. I wouldn’t even have minded us going our separate ways except there was no contingency plan in place for when it happened (although we were able to keep some team members – I do think a number of people who weren’t responsible for what happened, inc. the Lead Producer and Lead Programmer, didn’t deserve to be let go while others who had directly contributed to the problem got to stay). Aliens was a bit more confusing, but one fact there is it’s sometimes said the game was close to being done, which wasn’t the case: it was at vertical slice stage (and a good one, I thought), then it got cancelled, but much of the full production work had not been done, it wasn’t close to shipping or anything as some people assume.”

Most People know that they cant push for "Microsoft is evil" narrative if they acknowledge the facts.
I never saw this. Pls provide a link.

So basically, let Fearghus cash out/retire/whatever (like is heavily rumored he wants to do) with this possible buyout and keep the people that still have the drive, bring in some that left, create Lava Rock Studios or something in its place and we got ourselves Black Isle 3.0. I'm okay with that outcome as well.

Ar¢tos

Xbox needs to work on their brand image in Asia and Europe even more than in specs in my opinion. There is no point in having "the best console" if it is limited to US market. Even now we still have tons of games that are ps4/pc(/switch) only, since devs don't see a market for their game in the Xbox ecosystem, because of the smaller install base and its geographic concentration (and maybe release policies, but I think Ms has solved that by now).

Xbox needs to work on their brand image in Asia and Europe even more than in specs in my opinion. There is no point in having "the best console" if it is limited to US market. Even now we still have tons of games that are ps4/pc(/switch) only, since devs don't see a market for their game in the Xbox ecosystem, because of the smaller install base and its geographic concentration (and maybe release policies, but I think Ms has solved that by now).

Easier said than done. How do you propose they do that? We have already witnessed some salty attitudes about rumors so as you can see some people are adamant they don't want to support them either way.

Last edited:

Bernkastel

I am sure if Microsoft tries to do anything in the Japanese market there will be 2chan threads calling it 'American Invasion'.

You sit there and argue about what those users do like they are the plague. You refuse to buy games on Windows Store and you refuse to buy an Xbox. So tell me again how Microsoft is supposed to get your business because it just seems like you're here just to be pissy about anything they are rumored to do and just want everything on your PS4 and Steam. Sorry to break the news to you buddy but Microsoft ain't going to go away.
I have anti-Microsoft bias for a multitude of reasons (a lot of people do because it's justifiable, they've pissed off enthusiast users, developers and especially gamers). That's true but what the hell did I say that was untrue in the post you're quoting? Xbox users historically haven't supported Japanese games worth a damn and I'm sick of people online frothing at the mouth at the idea that they should buy studios and acquire intellectual properties that their users haven't supported. It's a death sentence for anyone and anything involved.

Also I don't support the Windows Store because it's still the same broken piece of garbage that launched in 2012 with Windows 8. An app store/repository for Windows applications? How could they possibly fuck that up right? Sounds amazing. It wasn't and still isn't. Let's not even get into the shortcomings that come inherently with UWP.

Last edited:
I have anti-Microsoft bias for a multitude of reasons (a lot of people do because it's justifiable, they've pissed off enthusiast users, developers and especially gamers). That's true but what the hell did I say that was untrue in the post you're quoting? Xbox users historically haven't supported Japanese games worth a damn and I'm sick of people online frothing at the mouth at the idea that they should buy studios and acquire intellectual properties that their users haven't supported. It's a death sentence for anyone and anything involved.

Also I don't support the Windows Store because it's still the same broken piece of garbage that launched in 2012 with Windows 8. An app store/repository for Windows applications? How could they possibly fuck that up right? Sounds amazing. It wasn't and still isn't. Let's not even get into the shortcomings that come inherently with UWP.

By the sounds of it Obsidian is not doing well but your anti-Microsoft shit attitude is blinding you from accepting that Microsoft could help them. Microsoft is also helping Ninja Theory. Remember, it takes two to sign a deal and if you don't like that deal too friggen bad because as I said, Microsoft ain't going away. I will happily give my money for games like Forza Horizon 4 because they are fun and well made. If Obsidian can make good games with bigger budgets from Microsoft then all the better. In other words if Microsoft is preventing you from enjoying games then that is your problem, not mine.

By the sounds of it Obsidian is not doing well but your anti-Microsoft shit attitude is blinding you from accepting that Microsoft could help them. Microsoft is also helping Ninja Theory. Remember, it takes two to sign a deal and if you don't like that deal too friggen bad because as I said, Microsoft ain't going away. I will happily give my money for games like Forza Horizon 4 because they are fun and well made. If Obsidian can make good games with bigger budgets from Microsoft then all the better. In other words if Microsoft is preventing you from enjoying games then that is your problem, not mine.

They've never done well and they likely never will unless they get new leadership, Avellone paints a bleak picture and at this point too many work for hire projects under too many publishers have had too many problems for me to blame it entirely on corporate meddling and bad luck. That still doesn't make a Microsoft acquisition a good fit. They're not. Obsidian makes hardcore role playing games, the mass market couldn't give a damn about the kind of depth their games have. If they did, Obsidian wouldn't even exist because they'd still be working at Black Isle or Troika, Fallout would've never exchanged hands either.

I'm just saying take a hint when their own fans loathe the idea of a Microsoft acquisition. The only places I can find people actually excited for this news are YouTube commenters, Xbox users, this forum, ResetERA (not exactly known for it's hardcore role playing community on PC) and the people who want to watch the company crash and burn so another spin off company can finally replace them and their poor management.

Last edited:
I'm just saying take a hint when their own fans loathe the idea of a Microsoft acquisition.

Total bullshit. What's the last Obsidian game you played, and how many do you own? How many do you have installed right now?

The only places I can find people actually excited for this news are YouTube commenters, Xbox users, this forum, ResetERA

And that's quite a few places, FYI. "I can only find people excited in several places, therefore it's a bad idea" ??

Last edited:
Total bullshit. What's the last Obsidian game you played, and how many do you own? How many do you have installed right now?
Kickstarted Pillars of Eternity, fig'd Pillars of Eternity 2, played Stick of Truth, Fallout New Vegas, Alpha Protocol, NWN2, Tyranny, Dungeon Siege III and KOTOR2. So literally all of them, I even played that bad MMO thing called SkyForge that they did a while back and their Pathfinder card game on Android.

Installed right now? New Vegas, Tyranny, PoE2 and NWN2 for persistent world stuff (and that's on an SSD where storage space is precious and limited).

Last edited:
Kickstarted Pillars of Eternity, fig'd Pillars of Eternity 2, played Stick of Truth, Fallout New Vegas, Alpha Protocol, NWN2, Tyranny, Dungeon Siege III and KOTOR2. So literally all of them, I even played that bad MMO thing called SkyForge that they did a while back and their Pathfinder card game on Android.

And you want them just to close up shop purely out of your hate for Microsoft? You want them to be out on the street and having to found a new company due to the collapse? If that even can happen after such a thing?

Edit: If you want my list:

It's:

as Black Isle Studios:
Fallout 2 - Bought boxed version for PC long ago, re-bought on GOG
Planescape: Torment - Bought when it came out, re-bought it on GOG and the EE on Steam
Icewind Dale Complete on GOG. Bought it at the initial launch and bought the EE on Steam
Icewind Dale II Complete on GOG, bought it at launch on PC as well
Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance II - although I don't have the disk anymore, I did own it in the past

as Obsidian Entertainment:
KOTOR 2: Bought at launch, re-bought on Steam, likely get the XB1 BC version as well
NWN2: Bought at launch, re-bought on GOG
Alpha Protocol: Bought at launch on PC
Dungeon Siege 3: Bought at launch on PC
Fallout New Vegas: Bought on PS3 at launch, re-bought complete edition on PS3, platinum'd it. Bought complete edition on PC as well, re-bought complete 360 version for BC on Xbox 1
South Park Stick of Truth: Bought at launch on PC, technically own it again since buying the sequel (not Obsidian made) on PS4 which gives you the first for free
Pillars of Eternity: Kickstarted, bought all DLC, re-bought on PS4 & re-bought on Xbox 1
Tyranny - bought at launch
Pillars of Eternity 2: Fig'd, will re-buy on Xbox 1. Bought the season pass on PC

Currently have Icewind Dale 2 complete installed on GOG as well as NWN2 Complete. Have PoE1 and 2 installed on PC as well as IWD1 EE. Have Fallout New Vegas installed on PC heavily modded as well as on XB1. Will be doing a full PoE 1-2 playthrough on Xbox once PoE 2 is released.

Last edited:
And you want them just to close up shop purely out of your hate for Microsoft? You want them to be out on the street and having to found a new company due to the collapse? If that even can happen after such a thing?
First, that's happened twice with the same lead figures involved. One company was Troika, one company was Obsidian.
Second, I'm not one of the people that wants the company to collapse. Read my post again.
Third, you know there's an alternative to an acquisition by Microsoft right? In fact ,there's multiple.

Urquhart could just retire without tanking the company. They could be bought by Paradox, THQ Nordic or 505 which are significantly better fits for them as a company and they seem to do a lot of business funding these kinds of titles on multiple platforms, they've seen a lot of success without the expectation of selling tens of millions of copies. They could continue doing work for hire as they've done for the last 16 years, they could continue doing crowdfunded projects, they could continue working with Take Two assuming that relationship hasn't soured. It's not the "be acquired by Microsoft or starve on the streets" scenario as you're presenting.

First, that's happened twice with the same lead figures involved. One company was Troika, one company was Obsidian.
Second, I'm not one of the people that wants the company to collapse. Read my post again.
Third, you know there's an alternative to an acquisition by Microsoft right? In fact ,there's multiple.

I've read your post, and I don't agree with it, and I'm a big Obsidian/Black Isle fan.

Urquhart could just retire without tanking the company. They could be bought by Paradox, THQ Nordic or 505 which are significantly better fits for them as a company and they seem to do a lot of business funding these kinds of titles on multiple platforms, they've seen a lot of success without the expectation of selling tens of millions of copies. They could continue doing work for hire as they've done for the last 16 years, they could continue doing crowdfunded projects, they could continue working with Take Two assuming that relationship hasn't soured. It's not the "be acquired by Microsoft or starve on the streets" scenario as you're presenting.

Paradox would have made a move by now, my guess is they low-balled the price and Urquhart said no.

As far as 'they can continue doing work for hire/crowdfunding" I ask, So they can continue being game developer mercs? Maybe they don't want to. It's funny how Obsidian is referred to as an indie developer now, they didn't used to be. That spells bad things in my mind.

I wouldn't trust Take 2 with a ten foot pole either. As if they're somehow better than Microsoft is laughable.

Microsoft has done nothing worse than any of the other console makers, so good luck with that story.
Did you miss the entirety of the first half of 2013? Trying to go mandatory daily authentication, banning used games, their treatment of indie developers. Even when they backtracked on that stuff, it still launched at $499 with an accessory that people didn't want and now PC gamers are dealing with the mess of UWP and the Windows Store with a W10 requirement which really sucks for anyone who cares about privacy.

People like to brush that off as it was five years ago but it was still this hardware generation so I think it's still relevant. Last hardware generation they spent the better half of it on Kinect shovelware and shoving GFWL down PC gamer's throats. Not to mention the DX10/Vista requirement back when Vista was such a piece of shit that I had to run a thousand dollar server operating system to use DX10 without the optimization issues.

You're getting carried away because you have no idea where their future lies to begin with. Second of all having Microsoft to help finance them means they can create more games. You despise Microsoft so much that your judgement is clouded and acting like Microsoft has the same people in charge forever. Lastly we can see Microsoft supports the PC, unlike Sony and Nintendo so you will still get them on PC and won't have to buy them on a console. Windows Store isn't as bad as some of you anti-Microsoft haters make it appear either.

Did you miss the entirety of the first half of 2013? Trying to go mandatory daily authentication, banning used games, their treatment of indie developers. Even when they backtracked on that stuff, it still launched at $499 with an accessory that people didn't want and now PC gamers are dealing with the mess of UWP and the Windows Store with a W10 requirement which really sucks for anyone who cares about privacy.

People like to brush that off as it was five years ago but it was still this hardware generation so I think it's still relevant. Last hardware generation they spent the better half of it on Kinect shovelware and shoving GFWL down PC gamer's throats. Not to mention the DX10/Vista requirement back when Vista was such a piece of shit that I had to run a thousand dollar server operating system to use DX10 without the optimization issues.

Funny how Microsoft tries to move forward yet the trolls remain.

Last edited:
I wouldn't trust Take 2 with a ten foot pole either. As if they're somehow better than Microsoft is laughable.
For all of Take Two's bullshit, at least their games are moddable, multiplatform and in regards to their scummy monetization of GTA:Online and their sports games, doesn't apply to their Obsidian project. The Take Two Private Division is extremely hands off from what we've heard. Square Enix's Initative is doing the same thing.
https://www.pcgamer.com/no-microtra...ng-obsidian-rpg-despite-take-two-involvement/

For all of Take Two's bullshit, at least their games are moddable, multiplatform and in regards to their scummy monetization of GTA:Online and their sports games, doesn't apply to their Obsidian project. The Take Two Private Division is extremely hands off from what we've heard. Square Enix's Initative is doing the same thing.
https://www.pcgamer.com/no-microtra...ng-obsidian-rpg-despite-take-two-involvement/

EA did the same thing during Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning. That little blip of goodwill ended quickly. I've heard enough over the years and seen the charts of Take 2's financials to be wary, as well as all the numerous threads about Rockstar's game studio happy fun land. I think that would lead to them (Obsidian) closing shop very quickly. Microsoft is solid financially, they aren't going anywhere. They're a good fit for Obsidian in their present state in my mind.

Worst case scenario with an MS acquisition, they buy Obsidian and they get 3-5 years more of life. Otherwise Obsidian is needing something very soon or who knows what will happen. It doesn't have to be Microsoft, but it honestly (to me) looks like the best fit at the time. I get you don't like Microsoft, but if you like Obsidian, you'll let them do what's right so they can still exist. Taking your toy and going home because you don't want anyone else to play with it isn't the way to go about this. There's plenty of Obsidian games to still play, you have them installed. I'd suggest either embracing what's coming, or stick to nostalgia. I do it with certain games/franchises that I've felt similarly too, but I don't hate them for doing what's right by them to keep the lights on.

Funny how Microsoft tries to move forward yet the trolls remain.
They've been saying they're moving forward for as long as I've been alive. I am glad to see Microsoft move forward. Do it. Just not with a hardcore RPG developer that is deeply rooted in niche role playing game design, modding and constantly moves between IPs. I don't think I could think of a worse fit for Obsidian if I tried. Same goes for acquiring Japanese developers when their users haven't really supported them over the last 18 years. While they're on this streak of "moving forward", they should open source Windows like they've been dropping in an interview once every couple years about so the community can fix the broken piece of shit that it is.

Even if they truly changed for the better, hardcore RPG fans are just supposed to gamble one of the few remaining companies still creating role playing games with actual role playing in them? Why not just hand over Piranha Bytes and Larian too while we're at it? Forgive me if I'm not too excited about Obsidian potentially becoming the Gears of War/Halo open world RPG developer until they're inevitably put out of their misery. I feel like I'm in bizzaro land whenever I see people genuinely excited that a mega corp is sucking up independent developers. Remember, almost two decades of precedent now and they've done what in recent memory? Gears of War, Quantum Break, Sea of Thieves, Sunset Overdrive (an IP they don't own), Scalebound, Obsidian's cancelled project (lol) and Crackdown? The fact that I'm going as far back as Crackdown and Gears of War should say it all.

Last edited:
I am glad to see Microsoft move forward. Do it. Just not with

Just don't what?
You have no interest in what they plan to do with their new 5 acquisitions. You also have no interest in anything Obsidian does if it's related to Microsoft even if they stay to their roots because at the end of the day you just want all games available where you don't have to use Windows Store or buy an Xbox. That's all this is about. The more you talk the more I hope they do acquire them.

Top Bottom