• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft is looking to acquire Obsidian Entertainment (CONFIRMED)

Pallas

Until recently Xbox was a subdivision of Windows Device group under Terry Myerson who didn't care about gaming and Phil and his team had to work in a tight budget. But now Xbox is it's own division, Phil is an executive at Microsoft and Matt Booty is the head of Microsoft Studios, which why Phil is suddenly going around creating and acquiring new studios.
https://www.windowscentral.com/what-phil-spencers-promotion-means-xbox
Recently Darrell Gallagher's new studio The Initiative hired devs from Rockstar, Crystal Dynamics, Sony Santa Monica and Respawn, old Xbox won't be able to pull this feat.

Yes I know that, Ballmer though was the CEO before Nadella and if I recall was frequently pressured by investors to sell the Xbox brand, along with other things. But I realize this was a bit before all of this, so it probably was Myerson who he was referring to.

Humdinger

Do you mean Steve Ballmer?

No, see below.

Until recently Xbox was a subdivision of Windows Device group under Terry Myerson who didn't care about gaming and Phil and his team had to work in a tight budget. But now Xbox is it's own division, Phil is an executive at Microsoft and Matt Booty is the head of Microsoft Studios, which why Phil is suddenly going around creating and acquiring new studios.
https://www.windowscentral.com/what-phil-spencers-promotion-means-xbox
Recently Darrell Gallagher's new studio The Initiative hired devs from Rockstar, Crystal Dynamics, Sony Santa Monica and Respawn, old Xbox won't be able to pull this feat.

Myerson, thank you. That's the name I was trying to remember. Myerson. Getting him out of the way has made a big difference.

Yes, because all the other studios they have are not currently working on projects. How stupid can some people be thinking Microsoft has nothing coming for another 3-5 years that we don't know about?

Well they have Crackdown 3 coming in Feb 2019 which we all know is going to be a flop, 66/100 on Metacritic.

Redshirt

Banned
So XBox/Gaming is a top level division now?

Alpha level division. Really a missed opportunity, noob.

25GdRHm.gif

Last edited:

Malio

No, no a thousand times NO. Obsidian is awesome just the way they are. This will be another EA acquiring/ruining Bioware shitfest. Fuck.

Last edited:

The Shepard

If these studio buys from Microsoft start putting out some good games I'll definitely be Intrested in returning to the xbox brand after missing out this generation, my first. There's definitely some potential here and is very exciting for xbox owners. I'd love a new project Gotham, loved that series. I always thought Microsoft missed the ball with not buying bioware also, they put out some incredible games on the xbox including the original mass effect, KOTOR and jade empire.

Last edited:

trikster40

Just because a company with seemingly unlimited resources buys a company doesn’t mean that said company gets unlimited resources. They get strict deadlines, closer scrutiny, and most studios bought by MS go down in quality, not up. Bungee left, Rara is worthless, not to mention Lionhead and others all disbanded.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Just because a company with seemingly unlimited resources buys a company doesn’t mean that said company gets unlimited resources. They get strict deadlines, closer scrutiny, and most studios bought by MS go down in quality, not up. Bungee left, Rara is worthless, not to mention Lionhead and others all disbanded.
Thats a lot of salt.

Last edited:

Mattyp

Gold Member

Bungie has produced its worst games ever since leaving MS, RARE is probably worth 10x the price Microsoft originally paid for it just in IPs alone and just had its most successful game ever, Lionhead was a complete fucking basketcase if you had followed the stories about it.

Every company closes studios, we could list more that Sony has done. Both also have successful studios as well along with the stories of that success. This would give Obsidian much larger budgets, not have to worry about keeping the lights on, and being able to concentrate on their output. Not sure if Microsoft knows what a strict deadline is in gaming they haven't enforced that in years outside of Scalebound not producing anything for years of development.

Tevious

I really hope this doesn't happen. EA ruined Bioware and I could see this being a similar situation. Microsoft has a solid history of ruining game studios, too (Rare and Ensemble Studios come to mind). MS will inevitably take away their creative freedom in the pursuit of maximized profits.

If it does happen, I hope they can still release their games on PC and that MS isn't stupid enough to make them exclusive to the Windows store.

12Dannu123

I really hope this doesn't happen. EA ruined Bioware and I could see this being a similar situation. Microsoft has a solid history of ruining game studios, too (Rare and Ensemble Studios come to mind). MS will inevitably take away their creative freedom in the pursuit of maximized profits.

If it does happen, I hope they can still release their games on PC and that MS isn't stupid enough to make them exclusive to the Windows store.

I disagree, the studios that MS bought allow for freedom, how would this be any difference. The only thing that will likely change is that it will be exclusive to the MS Store on Xbox and Windows 10, but it will likely put it on Game Pass for long term gain.

Woo-Fu

Banned
I don't think it matters either way. If the talent doesn't get to make their sort of games after a Microsoft acquisition they'd leave and form a new company. Just like they did when they built Obsidian with ex-Black Isle people.

Tell us how you really feel. You don't like how they treat their studios, won't support them on Xbox and refuse to buy games on Windows store. Seems like Microsoft is going in the right direction, all the haters are finding new reasons not to support them.

While I am not a huge fan of the Windows Store, I don’t think it is evil incarnate - as long as their games are available on PC (and if on Game Pass, even better) I won’t complain. Especially if this is one of the only ways Obsidian can continue to produce games. That’s all I really care about. While I am a huge purchaser on Steam, i’m not a Steam fan either. I really don’t care what storefront I get my games from. I’ve never understood the love of a near monopoly on PC gaming.

Tevious

Tell us how you really feel. You don't like how they treat their studios, won't support them on Xbox and refuse to buy games on Windows store. Seems like Microsoft is going in the right direction, all the haters are finding new reasons not to support them.

It'd be pretty ridiculous to call me a Microsoft hater. I'm an owner of both a Microsoft Surface Pro and Surface Book. I never cared for Macs and have always stuck with Windows. It's true I don't have much love for their gaming division, however. For the record, I do own a Windows Store exclusive game (AoE: Definitive Edition). I do think it's annoying that it doesn't operate like a normal application; you can't even access the install directory. And I never did buy an Xbox console; not because I hate it, but because PC, PlayStation, and Nintendo have had me pretty well covered for games. Nearly all of the Xbox exclusives just weren't my thing, anyway. But you're right that I don't like the way they treated their studios in the past, I'm still disgusted with them after what they did to Ensemble Studios. Any gaming company should take pause before selling themselves to MS after that. Their contract would have to come with a 15 year commitment to get me on board.

And not gaming related, but I could also add that they've been ruining Skype since they bought them, too.

While I am not a huge fan of the Windows Store, I don’t think it is evil incarnate - as long as their games are available on PC (and if on Game Pass, even better) I won’t complain. Especially if this is one of the only ways Obsidian can continue to produce games. That’s all I really care about. While I am a huge purchaser on Steam, i’m not a Steam fan either. I really don’t care what storefront I get my games from. I’ve never understood the love of a near monopoly on PC gaming.

I think it's just that people want their gaming library in one place, not scattered across multiple applications. No one really cares who they pay to get their game.

Last edited:
It'd be pretty ridiculous to call me a Microsoft hater. I'm an owner of both a Microsoft Surface Pro and Surface Book. I never cared for Macs and have always stuck with Windows. It's true I don't have much love for their gaming division, however. For the record, I do own a Windows Store exclusive game (AoE: Definitive Edition). I do think it's annoying that it doesn't operate like a normal application; you can't even access the install directory. And I never did buy an Xbox console; not because I hate it, but because PC, PlayStation, and Nintendo have had me pretty well covered for games. Nearly all of the Xbox exclusives just weren't my thing, anyway. But you're right that I don't like the way they treated their studios in the past, I'm still disgusted with them after what they did to Ensemble Studios. Any gaming company should take pause before selling themselves to MS after that. Their contract would have to come with a 15 year commitment to get me on board. And not gaming related, but I could also add that they've been ruining Skype since they bought them, too.

Nice story. You either like the game they come out with or you don't so I don't need to hear your personal reasons why you dislike Microsoft. Keep moving those goalposts because at first your concern was if this was only on Xbox and releasing it only on Windows Store, so what happens in 15 years is a bullshit excuse not to support Obsidians next game if they are indeed under Microsoft.

Last edited:
I think it's just that people want their gaming library in one place, not scattered across multiple applications. No one really cares who they pay to get their game.

I see this a lot, but I guess as an old school PC gamer, I don't really understand - I get it from a "convenience" standpoint I guess, but it really isn't that hard to launch an application that was purchased from various places - I don't launch Steam, for example, to launch games I've installed. And there are ways to "combine" your libraries (at least from a usability standpoint).

Last edited:

Tevious

Nice story. You either like the game they come out with or you don't so I don't need to hear your personal reasons why you dislike Microsoft. What happens in 15 years is a bullshit excuse not to support Obsidians next game if they are indeed under Microsoft.

You sure do jump to a lot of conclusions and are quick to jump into defense mode. You don't seem to be comprehending my position.

First of all, I'm just hoping they can stay funded without needing to sell out to Microsoft. Large corporations buying out companies is not always a good thing, and usually isn't. They often step in and force decisions in an effort to make the game more marketable/profitable and they can shut down the whole company whether they're successful or not. You don't seem familiar with what happened to Ensemble Studios. Microsoft canned them all during development of Halo Wars after just a few years since buying them out. Their games were even successful, too. Microsoft wanted to shift exclusively toward console gaming and felt they weren't experience enough with consoles, so they just abruptly fired everyone. The point I'm making about the 15 year commitment comment is that any company would be foolish to trust Microsoft if you care at all about job security. There should be some guarantees involved.

Secondly, I never said I wouldn't support Obsisian just because they get bought out by Microsoft. For fucks sake, I've backed all of Obsidian's crowd-funded games. I've been supportive of them since their early days; even when everyone used to bitch about them because their games were buggy. I most likely wouldn't go out and buy an Xbox just to play a couple of their games, though. It'd be annoying if the Windows Store was my only option, but I'd buy a game there if I really wanted it, and I did just that with Age of Empires: DE.

An interesting choice for Microsoft. My only hope is that, whatever route Obsidian goes down, they get to produce games in a manner befitting their talent and imagination. They've been in survival mode for a long time now. One would hope that Microsoft, or at least, the version of Microsoft that Phil Spencer is projecting to the general public, knows exactly how to use Obsidian and how to get the best out of the studio. It's a gamble, but it could be a good one. I don't own an XB1, but Microsoft have been slowly building the case for why I should for a long time now. They're getting there slowly. Buying Obsidian is another notch on that belt.

EDMIX

No, no a thousand times NO. Obsidian is awesome just the way they are. This will be another EA acquiring/ruining Bioware shitfest. Fuck.

This.

The issue with EA is not that they don't have any teams, its how they TREAT THE TEAMS THEY HAVE! So many of us are not saying we don't want MS to have the team , simply not in MS current state if they are just going to give em the old use, abuse, close down combo.

Its clear by many of the comments on here that many don't trust this publisher enough to want this team go down in flames for them. MS basically needs 1 WHOLE GENERATION of actually doing right by their teams and gamers before anyone really trust them.

I never really thought MS's issue was simply not having enough teams, simply that they abuse those IPs TO DEATH!

ie 343 Halo to death.
Coalition, first task...make Gears Of War TO DEATH

etc they can't keep doing this. Let the damn team breath and let them MAKE A NEW SERIES! Those games are not soooooo good that MS now has a evergreen IP like Nintendo with Smash, Mario Kart etc, so MS can't do a "Nintendo" as those IPs are not even unique enough and don't sell enough to do that.

Not saying zero Halo or Gears, but we don't need a whole gen of them by the same teams FOR LIFE! So MS basically sold XONE to same group of dudes that like Halo and Gears ,yet are shocked at lower sales numbers. Those dudes will buy XB, what about those who are not? 343 could have made a new IP after Halo and you have new fans, Coalition make a new IP after Gears 4 and YOU HAVE NEW FANS, but if they just keep doing the same thing over and over and over, expect the same results.

Sorry folks, but that doesn't sound like a publisher I want such a IP going to if that is all they are going to do with this team ie Fable to death or something. So MS needs to really actually change by their actions before most fans will be ok with this.

Show us, don't tell us.

EDMIX

Agreed. Many need to take into account MS history with buying teams.

Maybe something will be different, but we need to actually see that vs hear it, wouldn't be the first time MS promised something that just didn't happen.

Do you guys think we will hear about any new aquisitions at gamescom?

I hope so. I hope they announce they're buying Obsidian (and Sega) and announce that the Fallout New Vegas X Enhanced patch is out today (day of acquisition announcement at Gamescom) and that Obsidian will be working on a next-gen AA-AAA Shadowrun rpg. Or they buy Paradox (thereby owning White Wolf), buy Obsidian and announce Bloodlines 2 made by Obsidian.

Last edited:

Humdinger

Sorry folks, but that doesn't sound like a publisher I want such a IP going to if that is all they are going to do with this team ie Fable to death or something. So MS needs to really actually change by their actions before most fans will be ok with this.

Show us, don't tell us.

Fair enough, but they won't be able to show you without buying the studios. We'll see the fruits in a couple of years. Until then, you are more than entitled to a skeptical, "show me" position. I don't blame you.

Personally, I've got a little more faith, based on factors like this:

1. MS has been humbled this generation. They've acknowledged their mistakes and spent a lot of time and energy trying to right the ship.
2. They have re-organized in key ways. Myerson was an impediment, and he is now out of the way, with Phil promoted
3. If you watch NTs video, it's pretty convincing, at least to me. I think I have a pretty good sense of NT culture (I followed Hellblade development closely), and they are not a studio that would trade creative freedom for financial security.
4. After years of talk about increased investment in first party (which was annoying, because there was no follow-through), now suddenly there is a huge burst of real, substantial, action.
5. MS must have seen how Sony handle their first-party developers, and they must know that is part of why Sony is winning this generation. I think they've learned from that. They know that their own "hands on" approach has led to repeated failures.

So for those reasons, I am optimistic. I don't blame people for being skeptical, especially if they are grabbing up a studio they admire (I had the same reaction with NT, originally). But I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt. Heck, I'm rooting for them.

This.

The issue with EA is not that they don't have any teams, its how they TREAT THE TEAMS THEY HAVE! So many of us are not saying we don't want MS to have the team , simply not in MS current state if they are just going to give em the old use, abuse, close down combo.

Its clear by many of the comments on here that many don't trust this publisher enough to want this team go down in flames for them. MS basically needs 1 WHOLE GENERATION of actually doing right by their teams and gamers before anyone really trust them.

I never really thought MS's issue was simply not having enough teams, simply that they abuse those IPs TO DEATH!

ie 343 Halo to death.
Coalition, first task...make Gears Of War TO DEATH

etc they can't keep doing this. Let the damn team breath and let them MAKE A NEW SERIES! Those games are not soooooo good that MS now has a evergreen IP like Nintendo with Smash, Mario Kart etc, so MS can't do a "Nintendo" as those IPs are not even unique enough and don't sell enough to do that.

Not saying zero Halo or Gears, but we don't need a whole gen of them by the same teams FOR LIFE! So MS basically sold XONE to same group of dudes that like Halo and Gears ,yet are shocked at lower sales numbers. Those dudes will buy XB, what about those who are not? 343 could have made a new IP after Halo and you have new fans, Coalition make a new IP after Gears 4 and YOU HAVE NEW FANS, but if they just keep doing the same thing over and over and over, expect the same results.

Show us, don't tell us.

You want them to, so stop your bitchin and allow them to. The problem wasn't them abusing their existing IP's to death, it was the IP's that didn't produce well. Sunset Overdrive new IP, Ryse new IP, Quantim Break new IP, Titanfall new IP. They have had essentially one new Halo this generation and one new Gears of War.

When you start out of the gates underpowered and more expensive plus the whole DRM issue it's hard to come back but Nintendo had one of the worst selling consoles in history with the WiiU, it wasn't 1st party that was a problem for them. In comparison the Xbox One has sold 40 million with all of its issues from day one. Microsoft has righted the ship and now they are filling up their main issue now, 1st party.

New management and new direction yet the same old trolls.

Last edited:
A few things to note here, considering a lot of people seem to think Microsoft is all about buying up studios in order to force them to make one specific IP.

343i was literally created to handle all things Halo.

The Coalition was given the Gears IP after it was bought by Microsoft to be solely developed there. Yes, the studio has had a rocky history, but they are happy with doing what they are doing.

Turn 10 Studios was literally created to create and focus on the Forza Motorsport series.

Mojang was bought so they could continue development on Minecraft. Not to mention the other titles they have developed for PC since being bought.

Undead Labs was acquired for continued development on the State of Decay series because thats what they wanted to create.

Rare was acquired to create Kinect titles, which, yeah alright, was a stupid fucking idea, but they have turned that shit around if rumors are to be true, are turning into an IP factory. (We'll see how that goes I guess)

Compulsion Games was acquired because reasons? Not really sure about this one.

Ninja Theory was acquired because they needed help. Under the terms of their agreement they are being given and will maintain complete creative freedom with what they create.

Playground Games was acquired because of their continued partnership with Microsoft with the Forza Horizons series, plus have opened a second studio to create and develop and new Open world game (Probably Fable) which I assume Microsoft gave them the chance and was not being forced into it since development started before being bought.

The Initiative was literally just created a few months ago. To early to know what they are doing yet.

So in reality, is it actually that bad if they buy Obsidian? Or any company for that matter? Just sayin.

mad597

Banned

I find it so funny how PC gamers flip out at MS initiatives in PC gaming fearing an MS monopoly and then whine when games aren;t put on pmn steam which is the current PC gamestore monopoly. Monopolies in consoles and PC gaming seem fine as long as MS is not involved. If it were up to some here the only gaming choices in the entire industry would be Sony for Consoles and Steam for PC gaming.

AlanAwake

I find it so funny how PC gamers flip out at MS initiatives in PC gaming fearing an MS monopoly and then whine when games aren;t put on pmn steam which is the current PC gamestore monopoly. Monopolies in consoles and PC gaming seem fine as long as MS is not involved. If it were up to some here the only gaming choices in the entire industry would be Sony for Consoles and Steam for PC gaming.

First of all: Steam doesn't have a monopoly. Not by a long shot. In fact, some of the most popular PC games aren't even available on Steam.

Second: PC gamers don't like Microsoft because this company keeps fucking up every time again. We still remember GFWL and Microsofts efforts to charge for online gaming, and now we have to deal with the ridiculous bad Windows Store, that has been completely broken for almost 3 years and sells PC games as locked down encrypted apps. This rules out most of the perks of PC gaming, so yeah, no wonder PC gamers hate it.

Hudo

I hope so. I hope they announce they're buying Obsidian (and Sega) and announce that the Fallout New Vegas X Enhanced patch is out today (day of acquisition announcement at Gamescom) and that Obsidian will be working on a next-gen AA-AAA Shadowrun rpg. Or they buy Paradox (thereby owning White Wolf), buy Obsidian and announce Bloodlines 2 made by Obsidian.
I'm not sure Microsoft are willing to invest that much money into acquisition, as Sega are part of Sega Sammy and they seem fairly big (and expensive). However, I could imagine a joint development effort between Microsoft and Sega on specific games. Maybe Virtua Fighter? Or a new Panzer Dragoon?

Last edited:
First of all: Steam doesn't have a monopoly. Not by a long shot. In fact, some of the most popular PC games aren't even available on Steam.

Second: PC gamers don't like Microsoft because this company keeps fucking up every time again. We still remember GFWL and Microsofts efforts to charge for online gaming, and now we have to deal with the ridiculous bad Windows Store, that has been completely broken for almost 3 years and sells PC games as locked down encrypted apps. This rules out most of the perks of PC gaming, so yeah, no wonder PC gamers hate it.

And how do Nintendo and Sony 1st party games run on the PC? So to me this is better than nothing because I'd rather have games run at higher than 30fps even if there is no mod support so if one of them got it we would have inferior hardware to play them on. Yes of course Windows store could be better and hopefully it will but we also need to take a hard look at Obsidians situation, this is not going to be a hostile takeover.

Plus every time a game doesn't come on Steam we hear the same complaints, so yes many would love Steam to be a monopoly in PC and Sony to be in console gaming. Fallout 76 not on Steam, we hear the comments or do you just ignore them?

Last edited:
I'm not sure Microsoft are willing to invest that much money into acquisition, as Sega are part of Sega Sammy and they seem fairly big (and expensive). However, I could imagine a joint development effort between Microsoft and Sega on specific games. Maybe Virtua Fighter? Or a new Panzer Dragoon?

My Sega comment was more in relation to rumors prior to E3 and said somewhat tongue in cheek. :)

Pallas

I just don’t see this as a bad idea, especially if Obsidian wants to be acquired. They have financial woes just like Ninja Theory and production costs as only going to increase. If Microsoft can give them the same creative freedom that they are giving Ninja Theory and co then why not do it? Why not jump at the chance to create something you always wanted to but couldn’t because of financial hurdles.

They could be in serious financial trouble and may cease to exist in the near future without being acquired. I’d rather have them be exclusive than cease to exist, that’s the same to any of Sony’s first party studios as well. It’s not fun to go bankrupt.

Why not jump at the chance to create something you always wanted to but couldn’t because of financial hurdles.

This is a big chance/possibility for Obsidian to make a major game. Like From when they made Demon's Souls/Dark Souls and hit the big time, previously making King's Field/Armored Core and being more of a cult classic kind of developer, not far removed from someone like Obsidian.

There seems to be a lot of panic that Microsoft is seriously building up first party.

That's because Microsoft tries to build it the only way the know - taking away from others.

Noone would care if they annouced formation of 20 first part studios but the vision of having to upgrade to windows 10 and use their UWP store is repulsive to many pc gamers.

That's because Microsoft tries to build it the only way the know - taking away from others.

Noone would care if they annouced formation of 20 first part studios but the vision of having to upgrade to windows 10 and use their UWP store is repulsive to many pc gamers.

The issue gamers have with the UWP store is that it's a pale imitation to Steam. If Microsoft bit the bullet and built out a full UWP Game Manager that did everything Steam does at the very minimum, that would entice gamers. Things like wishlist, DLC, community forums. Microsoft doesn't get why Steam got so big.

Last edited:

mad597

Banned

Full of crap A LOT of Sony studios were purchased Naughty Dog being a prime example. Sony fans excuse it when Sony does it and bash it when MS does it for just about anything involved in gaming. It's very transparent and obvious by now

Sony BOUGHT these studios and some of them Sony ran into the ground and closed

Naughty Dog
Guerrilla Games
Evolution Studios
Media Molecule
Sucker Punch Productions
Incognito Entertainment
Psygnosis Limited
SIE Bend Studio

You could breakdown about 50% of the posts here and at most gaming sites these days to this simple statement below. It would make things easier if Sony fans just dropped the tap dancing routine and admitted this is all they got.

Sony = Good
MS = Bad

Last edited:

EDMIX

Fair enough, but they won't be able to show you without buying the studios. We'll see the fruits in a couple of years. Until then, you are more than entitled to a skeptical, "show me" position. I don't blame you.

Personally, I've got a little more faith, based on factors like this:

1. MS has been humbled this generation. They've acknowledged their mistakes and spent a lot of time and energy trying to right the ship.
2. They have re-organized in key ways. Myerson was an impediment, and he is now out of the way, with Phil promoted
3. If you watch NTs video, it's pretty convincing, at least to me. I think I have a pretty good sense of NT culture (I followed Hellblade development closely), and they are not a studio that would trade creative freedom for financial security.
4. After years of talk about increased investment in first party (which was annoying, because there was no follow-through), now suddenly there is a huge burst of real, substantial, action.
5. MS must have seen how Sony handle their first-party developers, and they must know that is part of why Sony is winning this generation. I think they've learned from that. They know that their own "hands on" approach has led to repeated failures.

So for those reasons, I am optimistic. I don't blame people for being skeptical, especially if they are grabbing up a studio they admire (I had the same reaction with NT, originally). But I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt. Heck, I'm rooting for them.

I'll have to wait and see to even remotely believe they've been "humbled". "Fair enough, but they won't be able to show you without buying the studios" I disagree, they could have shown us this gen by having some of their main teams on new IP vs Halo, Gears combo back to back.

Consider this, look at number 5.

Sony has been doing this since they've entered gaming, why is MS as of right now just seeing this? It would be like us saying "EA have see how Sony handle" well EA has had generations to see that yet still chooses the other route.

So this is indeed a wait and see. They legit need a whole gen of giving those teams that freedom to make new AAA IP before most of gaming really believes something is different. Consider this, EA is giving free DLC for Battlefront 2 and they still have trust issues with fans and thats happening THIS GEN, so MS will need a whole gen to start doing what they claim no different then EA might need a whole gen of doing that before fans start to see it isn't just talk.

I'll have to wait and see to even remotely believe they've been "humbled". "Fair enough, but they won't be able to show you without buying the studios" I disagree, they could have shown us this gen by having some of their main teams on new IP vs Halo, Gears combo back to back.

Consider this, look at number 5.

Sony has been doing this since they've entered gaming, why is MS as of right now just seeing this? It would be like us saying "EA have see how Sony handle" well EA has had generations to see that yet still chooses the other route.

So this is indeed a wait and see. They legit need a whole gen of giving those teams that freedom to make new AAA IP before most of gaming really believes something is different. Consider this, EA is giving free DLC for Battlefront 2 and they still have trust issues with fans and thats happening THIS GEN, so MS will need a whole gen to start doing what they claim no different then EA might need a whole gen of doing that before fans start to see it isn't just talk.

It'll be enough to see by 2022.

You keep parroting all these Gears games and Halo games they keep relying on. They have released one new entry of each so far this generation so we are not getting a ton of Halo and Gears. Meanwhile Naughty Dog will release two games this entire generation, both of which are existing IP's.

As I said, Microsoft has positive momentum moving forward after a terrible launch, they have new leadership and finally the full confidence of the CEO at Microsoft.

MS will need a whole gen to start doing what they claim no different then EA might need a whole gen of doing that before fans start to see it isn't just talk.

EA is making a lot of money so they must be doing something right. Ubisoft also gets hate on for their online enabled games because people like you think everyone should follow Sony's lead and just make single player action games with a ton of cutscenes in them.

Sony has been doing this since they've entered gaming, why is MS as of right now just seeing this?

How many times does it need to be said? Phil finally has a major role at Microsoft and Nadella has given the gaming division more emphasis. That's why you just saw 5 new acquisitions and why they are looking for more. All I'm hearing is resistance because so many here want every game on the PS4.

Last edited:

Humdinger

I'll have to wait and see to even remotely believe they've been "humbled".

Nothing humbles you like falling on your face, which MS did in 2013. All the policy reversals and new services should tell you that they aren't the same arrogant MS they were 5 years ago. It seems plain to me. That's the effect of failure. It humbles you. Just like it humbled Sony last gen.

"Fair enough, but they won't be able to show you without buying the studios" I disagree, they could have shown us this gen by having some of their main teams on new IP vs Halo, Gears combo back to back.

Could've but I'm talking about now. You're saying you don't believe that things have changed, and that's fine. I'm just pointing out that, unless they made this move (bought new studios), there would have been no opportunity to prove anything. It's unfair to both criticize the purchases and to ask them to prove things have changed. You won't get one without the other.

Why is MS as of right now just seeing this?
I believe it has something to do with the personnel changes that we've been referencing. People in positions of power were not fans of Xbox and blocked investment. Those obstacles are out of the way, which is why you see a sudden shift in investment strategy.

If you're asking why they didn't make the personnel changes earlier, I don't know. It was a mistake. But the changes have been made now.

So this is indeed a wait and see.

That's fine. I mean, it's wait and see for me, too. I'm just more optimistic about it than you are.

Top Bottom