• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Microsoft looking to bring back Heroes TV show as Xbox original content

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I suspect we'll hear more things like this soon.

TVLine said:
Exclusive: MSN/Xbox Eye Heroes Revival

Save the cheerleader, launch a new programming initiative?

MSN, which is making a big push into original programming via Xbox, is in talks to revive NBC’s superhero drama Heroes, TVLine has learned exclusively.

Details remain sketchy, but sources confirm that MSN is interested in relaunching the once red-hot NBC Universal franchise with new stories and heroes, while mixing in cameos from the original series’ cast (schedules and interest permitting). The talks are said to be in the preliminary stages.

In February, MSN hired former NBC development executive Jada Miranda to oversee production of its fledgling Xbox entertainment studio under ex-CBS president Nancy Tellem (who came on board last fall).

Source: http://tvline.com/2013/04/17/heroes-relaunch-msn-xbox/

Demon Ice

Banned
Seasons 1 and 2 (and maybe part of 3? I don't remember when the show started to decline) were phenomenal. But by the end it was embarrassingly bad.

The show was mediocre to bad after the first season. The last two seasons were particularly awful. The writers just couldn't let go of a character the audience loved, but couldn't do anything meaningful with him without killing him off.

If they go with how the second season was supposed to go originally. I'd be interested in seeing this.
Do tell.

MrDaravon

I actually laughed out loud when I read this. What the fuck Microsoft. I can get behind the idea, but not with this.

D3VI0US

Maybe it's a different division in MS and whatnot but they should put effort into making great games not reviving mediocre TV shows.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Seasons 1 and 2 (and maybe part of 3? I don't remember when the show started to decline) were phenomenal. But by the end it was embarrassingly bad.

Yup. It ended terribly. Hated it by the middle of the third season. "Save the cheerleader, save the world." K, not really.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Imagine the cameos from Master Chief, Alan Wake, Banjo Kazooie and a Kinect-atron robot.

Hell, even from Fable, the Hero, You.

UraMallas

Mod fight!

This was locked and then unlocked. I seen it.

I only remember the first season being any good. What is this talk about a different direction season 2 was supposed to go in?

MYeager

As long as they spun it off with new characters I think that could work, though if they were going to do that then they could probably just rebrand it with a new name. Not sure the identifying it with the brand of a failed series would be better than trying to create a new one.

Takuya

Banned
Has cross-forum relevance, is standard practice to do two threads.
Seeing as it's "xbox original content" and assuming rumors are true about the TV functionality, won't a lot of threads start becoming cross-relevant between Gaming and O-T? How will that be handled?

Averon

Ehhh...Heroes was cancelled for a reason. It left a sour taste in a lot of people's mouths post season 1. What type of audience MS is trying to capture with this?

I wonder what the plot will be...
Supervillain tries gather all the powers for himself
, or
government tries round up all the supers
, or
supervillain tries gather all the powers for himself
, or
government tries round up all the supers
. The possibilities are endless!

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Ehhh...Heroes was cancelled for a reason. It left a sour taste in a lot of people's mouths post season 1. What type of audience MS is trying to capture with this?

garyoldmaneveryone.gif

You already know the answer.

abadguy

Banned
Will watch if it's good. First series went to shit after season 2, lets hope they get better writers. Honestly though if they wanted to revive an old TV series for their Xbox programming, they should have went after Firefly.

They probably can get it extra cheap due to the property being lackluster. I guess at least it beats "The Tester" that Sony had for it's original programming. :p

... Why?
I mean, I suppose if they started fresh with new stories, and leaving the madness of the original series in the past... but then what's the point? Is the "Heroes" brand recognition that strong?

Maybe Sylar is trying to calm down his powers but he discovers they are always on and if he ever stops using them, he will die. With the help of other Heroes, he discovers it is okay to always be on and that everyone appreciates him more this way.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
The first series of Heroes was fantastic, but I just stopped watching in Season 2 as it was clear they were making it up as they went along.

This is the shittest idea ever.
MS I will fucking pay for online, go Kinect only and sit when your servers are down staring at my blank sad faced TV before I watch fucking Heroes again.

Make a new fucking superhero show if you like. But no one wants this one. No one. Literally.

Fladam

What in the world.... who asked for this?

What other "once-red-hot" properties can I look forward to on my next-gen XBOX?

Jawmuncher

Save the cheerleader save the world.

That tag line still bothers me to this day and will forever be engrained in my head. I always thought it was just to ridiculous.

Seeing as it's "xbox original content" and assuming rumors are true about the TV functionality, won't a lot of threads start becoming cross-relevant between Gaming and O-T? How will that be handled?

Yeah. The next xbox still isn't out so it is relevant to "gaming". But once it is and all of its features are known to the public, anything non-gaming related that Microsoft would do for its Xbox should be kept in OT. Both the PS4 and Nextbox aren't "gaming consoles" anymore; they're basically superpowerful Apple TVs.

That's the strangest idea yet. Does their general audience even like that show? Did they even check WHY it was cancelled?

Yet another reason why a software company can't be everything all at once.

Top Bottom