• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[RUMOR] Microsoft To Announce Xbox Game Demos & More On June 9th

reinking

Gold Member
Happy Dance GIF by HOFER Österreich

jaysius

Banned
Well the actual PS+ perk is "trials for BLOCKBUSTER GAMES" lets see who drops this perk faster, Sony or MS.

This is all much to do about fucking nothing, until we see some results from either side.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Demos exist. They are up to the individual publisher.

Now, third-party developers can have demos on GamePass or PS+. They are up to the individual publisher.

"Added value"

Living in serious denial here, you can't state they exist when they don't. 98% of AAA games don't have demos. You can have the 2%.
If any part of the 98% that currently have no demo's now have one, that's actually added value. Be completely different if the market already had tons of demos.

Elysion

Banned
Idea: allow people to play the first hour of every game for free.

You download the game (or at least the early parts of it), and can then play for free for a limited amount of time. Make it a universal mandate for every game (above a certain price point). An hour should be enough to get a feel for the gameplay (and you can repeat that free hour how often you want). Once the hour is over, a window pops up asking you to buy the game to continue, or to return to the menu screen.

Would something like that be realistic?

THE DUCK

If you don't mind:

Well, turns out that not only it was enough to matter, it was enough that MS promptly copied it.

In context, not enough to matter vs date and date games which was very clear what I was stating. And it isn't. Old games and demos can't compete with day and date releases. It's a fact.

But why exactly shouldn't MS bring one more item to make game pass look even better to gamers?

THE DUCK

Less than 50 percent. I guess that qualifies as "most"

Oh, you have current gamepass sub numbers? Current active consoles?
But lets play less than 50%, isn't that still added value with no increase to cost to say, millions of your best customers? How is that bad again?

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Oh, you have current gamepass sub numbers? Current active consoles?
But lets play less than 50%, isn't that still added value with no increase to cost to say, millions of your best customers? How is that bad again?
Never said it was. I was merely questioning your use of the word "most"

Living in serious denial here, you can't state they exist when they don't. 98% of AAA games don't have demos. You can have the 2%.
If any part of the 98% that currently have no demo's now have one, that's actually added value. Be completely different if the market already had tons of demos.
This is still leaving it up to the individual publishers if there is a demo or not. Exactly how it is now, but now locked behind a paywall.

clarky

Gold Member
Idea: allow people to play the first hour of every game for free.

You download the game (or at least the early parts of it), and can then play for free for a limited amount of time. Make it a universal mandate for every game (above a certain price point). An hour should be enough to get a feel for the gameplay (and you can repeat that free hour how often you want). Once the hour is over, a window pops up asking you to buy the game to continue, or to return to the menu screen.

Would something like that be realistic?
You can kinda do that already with a refund. Last one was BF2042 for me, dodged a bullet there. EA do it with those 10hr things on play already as well

Zero interest in demo's from me. Most shit xbox wise is on game pass anyways.

Last edited:

oldergamer

How will devs be compensated for the demos then? Sounds very bad for them, all that time setting up the demos and MS just gives it away for free?
Dunno if they are optional, then no issue right? even worse is if users had to pay for a demo that should be free I'd assume

kyoji

Told people demos/trials was the answer. glad to see both companys do it if this is true.
I miss the Ps1 days when it was pretty standard.

oldergamer

Why act dumb? The point was that a lot of people were complaining about having to pay for demos because it's behind a subscription. It's behind a subscription here if the article is true. You can't say it's free when you have to pay a subscription to get the benefit.
Where does it say this in the article? are you quoting the original post that added gamepass?

For demos? you don't need gamepass or even xbox live. you can just go to the store and download them
"One of the bigger announcements is that Microsoft will be launching a new service to seemingly compete against PlayStation Plus' time-limited game trials that were announced earlier this year. The feature will be coming to Xbox Game Pass members within the next year"

For demos need to be free don't locked it behind no paywall i hate it when PS did it & if Xbox do it to than fuck them to

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I’ve used ea trail service a bunch and it’s very nice to be able to try out a bunch of games I never buy. Lol

oldergamer

"One of the bigger announcements is that Microsoft will be launching a new service to seemingly compete against PlayStation Plus' time-limited game trials that were announced earlier this year. The feature will be coming to Xbox Game Pass members within the next year"
And where do you see MS actually saying that? I don't think the article has this information correct.

The person that wrote that is clueless. like I already said, time trials have been available for years on Xbox, they don't cost anything and don't require a subscription.
They have been available on PlayStation and Nintendo too. Sony just did this and it sounds like Xbox is about to do the same.

My question is, why are we celebrating it? Like you said demos have always been free.

Last edited:

oldergamer

They have been available on PlayStation and Nintendo too. Sony just did this and it sounds like Xbox is about to do the same.

My question is, why are we celebrating it? Like you said demos have always been free.
I'm wondering what MS is offering that is different here. Are they just paying developers to make full versions of games with the time trial feature? MS already can pay a developer by how much people play their games. Is this just an extension of that? I just don't get it if it doesn't have a significant difference

Lognor

Banned
OMG we love demos/timed trials again!
Probably was an easy thing to ask devs for since devs are being forced to do it by Sony. So ms thought, might as well get the same thing without any additional hassle for devs. It is what it is. I don't really ever play demos

I'm wondering what MS is offering that is different here. Are they just paying developers to make full versions of games with the time trial feature? MS already can pay a developer by how much people play their games. Is this just an extension of that? I just don't get it if it doesn't have a significant difference
I think we are saying the same thing, except you're adding "this can't possibly be true".

It at least makes a LITTLE sense with Sony, as their first-party games aren't day and date on PS+, so demos for those games makes sense. For Xbox, this would just be third-party games not on GamePass and is up to the individual publishers, which is exactly how it is now.

Last edited:

Jormatar

Good to see MS following Sony with this one. It's nice to have demos back in general, doesn't matter to me if they are behind paywalls in services most of us are already subscribed to.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

Why act dumb? The point was that a lot of people were complaining about having to pay for demos because it's behind a subscription. It's behind a subscription here if the article is true. You can't say it's free when you have to pay a subscription to get the benefit.

It's an added benefit at NO ADDITIONAL COST to those who subscribe to game pass. Nothing is lost to those who don't subscribe as there is basically no demos now. So what does no additional cost mean? To me that's free, pretty sure it's in the dictionary.

Top Bottom