• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Mirror's Edge 2 details

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It sounds like the Dark Souls/Watch Dogs implementation where people can join but it's playable alone.

Yeah reading the multiplayer components of the OP gives me the impression of:

1.) For the main campaign they have something like NFS Rivals.

2.) They also have distinct co-op and competitive multiplayer modes where players are more engaged directly.

I was like "yup. yup. get hype. uh huh. fuck yeah. 2016AREYOUFUCKINGKIDDINGME?!?!??!"

But yeah, sounds awesome even though "always online" doesn't sound necessary. I'd need a better idea of what they're doing though.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
If this is really all true, then this is incredibly-great news to read in light of how the rest of DICE's reputation has dropped in my book. I'd be pissed if Mirror's Edge 2 was ruined or turned into something it never was in part one.

Excellent to read that the E3 trailer was in-game stuff because they really nailed the look and feel of ME1.

If the text turns out to be true, and they have the same people do the same soundtrack (really, really loved Still Alive and how they sprinkled it throughout the game), I will be pleased.

With The Witcher 3 being delayed to 2015 today and now ME2 apparently coming in 2016, I can still hold off jumping into next-gen, waiting for at least one price drop.

- Part of this open world environment includes a persistent, “always online” component. The open world is considered a multiplayer “playground” where other plays can drop-in/drop-out seamlessly, freely choosing their level of interaction with other players and the game world. A comparison to Journey‘s online feature was given as the closest example.

Not a big fan of this, I'm past the point of wanting other players in my single player experience. I'm sure this'll be a trend this gen...

We’ve been told that Faith does not have guns.

I actually didn't mind elements of the gun-play. I thought the weapons had a nice weight to them, carrying a shotgun felt different from carrying a hand gun (you could even do things like slide with a hand gun with enough momentum), and the flow of hand-to-hand>fire>run could have been cooler if it was more polished.

JustinBB7

All sounds good except for the online part.. and the 2016 part.

I'm still skeptical about the open world, but that multiplayer sounds like it could be amazing if it is done right.

But it's EA, so it won't be done right.

At least maybe by that time maybe they will have their games on Steam again.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I kinda feel with the 2016 it's an "ETA 2016" rather than locked in 2016. Could be very early 2016 or super late 2015 for all I know. I'd be hard to set up a firm release date for a game still a long way away.

Could be 2017. Give them some wiggle room. When a hard deadline is set by the higher ups, programmers and QA get ulcers.

sn00zer

Im usually against multiplayer invading single player, but running around with friends and racing each other sounds like a blast, the best part of Mirrors Edge was the arcadey time trials, not the SP story mode.....now if they make a game like HL3 multiplayer, we gon' have some problems

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
I can pretty much assure all of you that their will be huge backlash when it is announced that the game requires a constant online connection to play.

This is EA, they have done it before and they will do it again.

Remember Sim City?

Frumix

Suffering From Success
- Part of this open world environment includes a persistent, “always online” component. The open world is considered a multiplayer “playground” where other plays can drop-in/drop-out seamlessly
If it's anything like NFS Rivals it's gonna be okay, just set the phasers to offline. But... seriously.

Silky

Banned
Open world.

Always online.

Larger combat focus.

Nah.

improving the combat doesn't mean it's combat focused. DICE said it's a racing game first with a higher emphasis on the parkour elements.

It's not Always online. Think Autolog/Battlelog which will most likely be the application.

Open World Mirror's Edge is one of the most requested things out of a sequel

Briarios

Hopefully Faith's design gets rebooted to the superior version:

... hopefully you're not talking about that ridiculous second picture. Faith has a great, realistic design. They should keep it, and not go all anime with it. And, this is coming from a huge anime fan.

Artex

Banned
The open world aspect is a little concerning considering how tightly designed the levels in ME1 were.
Agreed. Attempting to master each segment, and the time trials, are what made that game so damn good. It's one of my all time favorites. I have faith (pun intended).

I'll be sad if the game doesn't function properly offline (lol Simcity), but it sounds like things will be all right. I was really worried that they were going to turn it into Medal of Edge: Faith Cry, but the emphasis on parkour is reassuring. Also, wow. I didn't think the gameplay footage they showed us was realtime. I don't care how much hardware they were running it on, that's pretty damn good.

Colour me excited.

Open world scares me. Open world games are rarely paced as well as their more linear counter parts. This could be an especially big deal in such a tightly focused game like Mirror's Edge.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
- Rebooting the universe means new enemies. Mirror’s Edge 2 will include many AI opponents, some on equal footing to Faith. Among these are the standard cannon fodder Protectors, melee combat expert Sentinels, and armoured gun wielding Enforcers. We’ve been told that Faith does not have guns.

I couldn't help but scoff at this awful pun. ;)

DICE has taken on a lot of feedback from Mirror’s Edge in shaping the combat system for Mirror’s Edge 2. Heavy revisions have shaped the combat away from useless gunplay and one button combats (like the nut-punch) to a deeper system that emphasises speed and fluidity. Environment interaction is also a key feature of the combat system, Faith able to push, punch, and kick enemies out of the way, over ledges, tables, and railings. These physics driven interactions are combined with 1-2-3 punch/kick style combos, wall running, flips, and other martial arts moves, as well as brief grapples

I like this. In the first game you couldn't interact with enemies at all without losing all your speed, so you ended up just running away, hoping for the best, and got shot a dozen times in the process which slowed you down anyway. I always wanted to be able to deal with enemies while on the move, whether it was just pushing them off balance, sliding between their legs, knocking them off ledges, any old thing.

Orayn

That description doesn't sound terrible, so believing it'll actually turn out this way means trusting EA about a thousand times more than they actually deserve.

They will crush our dreams and fuck it up in wildly creative ways we can barely even imagine. I expect nothing less from the worst company in America.

Tuck

Online component has me hesitant. Very.

Open world worries me as well.

Third person scenes to highlight the occasional action? DO NOT WANT.

Everything else sounds great though. So excited for the game.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Because people kept asking for it.

It was also to help with hiring people.

Hiring a bunch of staff as "The studio that makes Battlefield, Battlefront, and Mirror's Edge" is easier than hiring staff as "The studio that makes Battlefield, Battlefield, and Battlefield".

RSB

Banned
Sounds good.

I'm OK with them expanding the combat options as long as they make every encounter optional. My biggest fear right now is that they make it always online only, I hope they make it like Journey or Dark Souls, that you can play on your own if you want, even if by doing that you end up missing some of the best things about them. Ler's be optimistic for now. Hell, even if the game ends being only half as good as the original, it won't have any problems making it to the top 20 of this new generation (yeah, the first one was THAT good)

And please, bring back Solar Fields. Their soundtrack for the first Mirror's Edge is ridiculously good. I want more.

RedSwirl

I just hope they don't end up building the game around assistance and anti-frustration features that try to do shit for you.

What I like the most about Mirror's Edge is how skill-based the parkour actually is in that game. The way it let's you combine wall runs and well-timed jumps with your knowledge of the level design gave it a lot of depth. I hope they don't balance the game around you being able to do some of that stuff automatically. And I hope they make it so you can avoid all combat if you're good enough.

Open world could be great depending on how they do it. Here was my response when they first confirmed that:

In that universe, part of being a runner is knowing the city and its routes. If they're not lazy in how they design this they could really nail that feel of mastering your environment, finding the best routes, etc.

Online component has me hesitant. Very.

Open world worries me as well.

Third person scenes to highlight the occasional action? DO NOT WANT.

Everything else sounds great though. So excited for the game.

Online is only worrying for me if the game doesn't work offline, because, at worst, you pull the cord.

Open world is the most worrying for me because filling an open world with a proper balance of content is very hit-and-miss. However because parkour is supposed to be about getting places in the city, the feeling of roaming could be great.

Third person? I'm not that worried. The game was originally designed for third-person. A little worrying, though.

JustinBB7

improving the combat doesn't mean it's combat focused. DICE said it's a racing game first with a higher emphasis on the parkour elements.

It's not Always online. Think Autolog/Battlelog which will most likely be the application.

Open World Mirror's Edge is one of the most requested things out of a sequel

Oh god please no battlelog shit.

Can you launch Battlefield normally yet? I only tried the Battlefield 3 beta but battlelog/origin made me never want to buy the full version so I never played it after that.

TripOpt55

I'm still not sold on the open world idea. I feel like there was just enough different options to finding the best route through sections and which moves were best to achieve this in the first game that it is hard to imagine going more open being an improvement. You might lose something in an open world where you can have too many options and it takes a bit of the skill out of hitting the perfect one. Or if they can actually pull it off with the kind of level design necessary for this kind of game... maybe it could be better I suppose. I guess having the kind of level design necessary for ME to work through a whole open world seems tough to pull off in my head.

I like the sound of working to keep your momentum in combat though. Multiplayer could be cool, but I could do without the elements creeping into singleplayer.

Hoping for the best! The first game is one of my favorites.

jsnepo

Do you mean thank goodness? Good riddance would make sense if the game was cancelled.

I don't mean to come off as an asshole, sorry if I do.

Yup. Sorry. Was thinking differently when I typed. Hahaha! Still good news that it's no longer exclusive.

NewGame

Banned
- Part of this open world environment includes a persistent, “always online” component. The open world is considered a multiplayer “playground” where other plays can drop-in/drop-out seamlessly, freely choosing their level of interaction with other players and the game world. A comparison to Journey‘s online feature was given as the closest example.

tumblr_m6jghcPbwI1r8rtom.gif

mmm this is what I wanted from playing 1.

All this stuff makes me want to do is create a time machine, then use it to fast forward to 2016

Not only will the game be out, my hair will be as grown out as I want it to be by then! Double whammy!

"Open-world" sounds pretty antithetical to appeal of the first game.... I'm pretty concerned that a large city will be less fun than the first game's tightly-designed levels.

If that's what it took to get the green light then Iguess it's better than nothing.

A-V-B

Open world I can tolerate.

Always online?

Ugh. I think I know exactly what that means.

Fuck this. I'm out. Enjoy your $60+f2pmechanics wide-awake nightmare, ladies and gentlemen. EA's last hope is dead.

Also, third person cutscenes... so much for Oculus Rift immersion.

The future will come elsewhere. Sorry, dice.

Top Bottom