• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Mirror's Edge 2 details

Musolf815

"Open-world" sounds pretty antithetical to appeal of the first game.... I'm pretty concerned that a large city will be less fun than the first game's tightly-designed levels.

If that's what it took to get the green light then Iguess it's better than nothing.

Maybe there can be some tight platforming inside buildings. Let's hope so at least.

So for the multiplayer parts, are we gonna be able to create a runner or are there gonna be a hundred Faiths jumping around?

Whompa

Wow all of that actually sounds really cool. I love the concept. It sounds fresh and takes advantage of this always online stuff. Seriously intrigued. Also, that trailer was pretty much gameplay? Hmmmm if true, holy damn I need to see this game.

RSB

Banned
"Open-world" sounds pretty antithetical to appeal of the first game.... I'm pretty concerned that a large city will be less fun than the first game's tightly-designed levels.
It can have both. A central hub that is open-world (or maybe even more than one hub) with side-missions and everything, and then specific missions more in the classic style.

I guess it would be a bit like Deus Ex HR. It could definetly work.

vazel

Banned
Open-world to me means they have to sacrifice tight gameplay design so that makes me apprehensive. But the racing and fluidity stuff makes me happy to hear.

Sounds like they're on the right track, and I have no problem with them taking their time, as long as they are working on it.

You can build tight racing routes in an open world, so it doesn't have to lose the feel of the original. It's all about how they structure races.

A-V-B

It can have both. A central hub that is open-world (or maybe even more than one hub) with side-missions and everything, and then specific missions more in the classic style.

I guess it would be a bit like Deus Ex HR. It could definetly work.

Central hub really only works for single player stuff, though. It's open world without being too huge for one person.

A bajillion random free runners in a Deus Ex hub? Not gonna work. People would be bumping into each other trying to get to obstacles, and then punching each other in the face.

They gotta mean full blown open world here.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Always online sounds like a pain, but I dunno; I think Mirror's Edge has the framework for passive multiplayer in an open world environment. It's easy to think of how disrupted the game systems would be, but given I was told DICE considers Mirror's Edge to be a racing/parkour game before a brawler, speed/parkour themed passive online play could work out pretty cool.

A-V-B

Always online sounds like a pain, but I dunno; I think Mirror's Edge has the framework for passive multiplayer in an open world environment. It's easy to think of how disrupted the game systems would be, but given I was told DICE considers Mirror's Edge to be a racing/parkour game before a brawler, speed/parkour themed passive online play could work out pretty cool.

Except Mirror's Edge is kinda all about being alone against an entire system.

Now while you're enjoying an experience, you'll get notices from "SUCKEDYOURMOMSCOXXX" wanting to play or something.

- While DICE are committed to providing a deeper combat system, melee combat is not the single focus of Mirror’s Edge 2. DICE does not consider Mirror’s Edge 2 as a brawler, but instead a racing game at heart. For the development team, the focus is on creating a game all about parkour: speed, fluidity, and mastery of your environment.

That's exactly how I saw Mirror's Edge when I played it. This certainly gives me a bit more hope that this will be a sequel that doesn't ruin the franchise like every other new ip EA has.

RSB

Banned
Central hub really only works for single player stuff, though. It's open world without being too huge for one person.

A bajillion random free runners in a Deus Ex hub? Not gonna work. People would be bumping into each other trying to get to obstacles, and then punching each other in the face.

They gotta mean full blown open world here.
When I mention Deus Ex HR , I mean the concept, basically. Obviously they would have to make the hubs much bigger than those in HR, with many more things and activities around.

A-V-B

That's exactly how I saw Mirror's Edge when I played it. This certainly gives me a bit more hope that this will be a sequel that doesn't ruin the franchise like every other new ip EA has.

There'll be artistic vision, for sure, but I'm totally expecting it to get confused by interruptions of higher up meddling.

Kumubou

The online functions could actually be really interesting, but I don't blame anyone for expecting the absolute worst from EA.

Yeah reading the multiplayer components of the OP gives me the impression of:

1.) For the main campaign they have something like NFS Rivals.
I really hope this isn't the case; the game progression in NFS Rivals was a horrible, untuned "open" mess that had zero sense of any actual progression and openly punished you for driving the faster cars. One of the good things about the original Mirror's Edge was how well-tuned the time trials were -- losing that to give everyone warm fuzzies regardless of how they choose to play would be awful.

Part of this open world environment includes a persistent, “always online” component.

Oh for fuck's sake.

I get it. You want to incorporate online persistence as a layer of the gameplay/multiplayer and within the context of the ME universe it makes enough sense, but EA, I have some bad news for you: At your best you are fucking backwards imbeciles when it comes to online implementation of anything, at your worst, it's a shitty ploy for DRM that's going to get cracked in days anyway.

Just make it an optional feature people can toggle on/off like with the Souls games and other similar franchises and it'll be ok, I guess.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The online functions could actually be really interesting, but I don't blame anyone for expecting the absolute worst from EA.

I really hope this isn't the case; the game progression in NFS Rivals was a horrible, untuned "open" mess that had zero sense of any actual progression and openly punished you for driving the faster cars. One of the good things about the original Mirror's Edge was how well-tuned the time trials were -- losing that to give everyone warm fuzzies regardless of how they choose to play would be awful.

I don't mean that so much in the "It's designed like NFS Rivals" sense as the "it dynamically drops other players into your game when you're crossing paths" sense.

Hip Hop

This worries me.

I hope for companies to keep pushing the persistent online worlds.

Like Destiny.

I hope that sells alot and becomes a huge success so we can see more companies go this route.

It's about time SP/Campaigns tried something different

EDIT:

How much was the original Mirrors Edge? $60? that is so badly priced as well for such a short, linear game. I want more single player experiences to go open world, at least then I can feel the $60 justified for me.

Games like The Crew and Watch Dogs are showing me just that.

Now Mirrors Edge 2 going this route, it just feels right.

sn00zer

Yeah I was gunna say this sounds pretty damn awesome. The most fun I had was finding new paths to better my times. Having a race to a spot on the map sounds like a ton of fun in an open world.

A-V-B

I'm sure you'll be able to, even though EA says, "You can't do it! It's impossible! Do you expect us to re-code the ENTIRE game?!"

Three days later, a hacker says, "no, I made it offline for you, look."

Urgh.

El-Suave

I just hope they don't simply force the Need For Speed Rivals open world/always on model onto Mirror's Edge. The always on aspects of that game worked better in theory than they did for actual players. Overall the always on setup made that game worse than it would have been without it.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'll also add that if the game is indeed set for 2016 that gives a pretty huge window of development where anything could change.

A-V-B

I'll also add that if the game is indeed set for 2016 that gives a pretty huge window of development where anything could change.

Why would it change? What they've announced that people dislike is basically EA corporate M.O.

It probably won't change unless EA does.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Why would it change? What they've announced that people dislike is basically EA corporate M.O.

It probably won't change unless EA does.

Yeah after not greenlighting an idea for about five years until this one came along, and with it matching up to what EA is as a company, I would be surprised if all that much on a high concept level changes.

Obviously it's a lot of time though for changes to happen.

If I had to guess, I would think it's a March 2016 title since Q1 is the safe place for games that aren't quite big enough for Fall, but still want to slot in the same fiscal year.

EatChildren

Why would it change?

Because the game is ~24 months away, development is hard and turbulent, and what I was told is not necessarily indicative of the final product regardless of the intentions. I wasn't referring to any one specific thing. For all I know they'll decide to give Faith dual uzis and turn it into Max Payne 4.

A-V-B

It would require basically an industry-wide disinterest in Cloud concepts and the like. If that happens in two years, probably later than sooner, and Mirror's Edge 2 would already be pretty far along in development, it'd be a relic of a bygone time.

"We don't use this method anymore, but Mirror's Edge 2 is like a game that didn't get the memo."

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
- Core goal of the reboot is to create an open world, living breathing city for you to explore.

- Other general multiplayer components include co-op and competitive modes, such as time trials

*boner* It's like DICE listened to everyone/fans of the first one.

Now if they give me the ability to turn off enemies and the online and parkour in their "open world" sandbox, Mirror's Edge 2 will rock my ass hardcore.

- Its target release date is in 2016. Sorry kids. Fingers crossed it comes around earlier!

Fine with me. So long as it isn't rushed and DICE has a complete team that doesn't change on it, I'm all for 2016 PC release. Means it won't be a broken launch like BF4. *knock on wood* and quality like Mirror's Edge 1.

The only thing I don't like from that "leak"/preview/whatever you want to call it is new enemies for the reboot. I don't mind them retellling Faith's Origin and all that, but it seems WAYYYYY too soon/only one game out there to reboot the entire universe. But I'll give DICE the benefit of the doubt that they couldn't write something for the oppressive government and runner thing again.

And I wouldn't mind gun combat coming back. But it should be a last-resort/option for people that simply want to RUN RUN RUN and dodge bullets instead of having pin-point accuracy enemies like Mirror Edge 1 had if you tried to run away at times.

Brofield

If I don't have a PS4 by the time this releases, I will then. I figure ~2 years is enough to reconsider how much online they'll include, and with a development time of...what, 3 or 4 years by the time it's finished? I'd hold high hopes for it.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Nope, no thanks. Won't be buying from EA again. BF4 was the last straw.

Have fun with your always online alpha folks!

seh6p.gif

Thanks for letting us know?

EatChildren said:
For all I know they'll decide to give Faith dual uzis and turn it into Max Payne 4.

Silly EC: There's no Max Payne 3. :)

Hip Hop said:
How much was the original Mirrors Edge? $60? that is so badly priced as well for such a short, linear game. I want more single player experiences to go open world, at least then I can feel the $60 justified for me.

Except if you tried to 3-star the Time Trials or run the Speedruns, you had far more time investment unless you were EXTREMELY good out of the gate for that $60.

I'll agree it wasn't worth the $60 asking price for the campaign alone, but the time-trials and running them for 3-stars? Worth the additional $30 for the sake of having more parkour to do.

gabbo

If i can`t play the singleplayer offline, then i`m not interested.

Pretty much this. Everything else sounds rather interesting for a game at this stage in development, but it seems EA took the SimCity sales at face value and didn't care about the uproar after and this is their next step

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
It would be so much easier to be enthusiastic about EA, Dice, and Bioware if they weren't using the Frostbite engine and showed the remotest bit of interest in supporting user made content.

If ever there was a property that could benefit from user made levels, it'd be Mirror's Edge.

Everything but the drop-in dropout multiplayer sounds good to me, I hope you can basically turn it off and go solo. I like my multiplayer and singleplayer seperate, the last thing I want is some jerk doing everything he can to run my singleplayer experience.

I love that they are taking the direction of a racing game more than a shooter or brawler. Online races all over the city could be very cool.

Nimajneb

I really hope by "Open world" they mean a series of intricate interconnected levels, and not chasing way points on a grid with fuck all level design.

Also, don't get rid of the closed in puzzle platforming segments, they are a needed change of pace from the fast paced free running segments. The game would have been monotonous without them.

mechphree

DRM though? Wasn't mirrors edge always a single player experience..

Top Bottom