• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Mirror's Edge 2 details

Timu

iiD5tzrUZAP0F.gif
Looks so good, and I hope some of this info is true.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Sorry, I believe the next gen systems are more powerful than most give credit for, but that trailers fidelity in an open world game? No way. If it is the size of Mirrors Edge 1 then yes, but there is no way they can push that level of detail in an open world. Not this gen anyhow.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Sorry, I believe the next gen systems are more powerful than most give credit for, but that trailers fidelity in an open world game? No way. If it is the size of Mirrors Edge 1 then yes, but there is no way they can push that level of detail in an open world. Not this gen anyhow.

What about this looks especially ridiculous to you relative to Battlefield 4's multiplayer, which is cross-gen and takes place on giant maps?

Guys, the game isn't always online.. They described it as Journey, where if you're online you'll get put with other people. If you're offline, it's fine.

Part of this open world environment includes a persistent, “always online” component

As in just like any other multilayer option but more of a seamless transition, than no problem.

However Destiny, The Division, Deep Down, and Titanfall makes me think otherwise. Online only games can fuck off.

Open world I can tolerate.

Always online?

Ugh. I think I know exactly what that means.

Fuck this. I'm out. Enjoy your $60+f2pmechanics wide-awake nightmare, ladies and gentlemen. EA's last hope is dead.

Also, third person cutscenes... so much for Oculus Rift immersion.

The future will come elsewhere. Sorry, dice.

lol some people love to over react huh?

A-V-B

Guys, the game isn't always online.. They described it as Journey, where if you're online you'll get put with other people. If you're offline, it's fine.

I'll believe it when I see it. As a consumer, EA has lost so much good faith that I pretty much always assume the worst.

I'll believe it when I see it. As a consumer, EA has lost so much good faith that I pretty much always assume the worst.

But that's like...... how it was described. Hell, it even sounded like Dark Souls, where if you're online, you can get invaded by others at a moment's notice. And don't people love that about Dark Souls?

I'm sure it's just like Journey, it can be played offline.

And you could give an option to disable third person kills for Oculus Rift immersion. Although third person can work just fine in VR. I hope DICE goes all out and offers native VR support. At least on PC. By 2016, VR should definitely be widespread.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

The simple geometry of the Mirror's Edge art style will allow them to do a lot more than you'd expect and the game is still two years out.

A-V-B

But that's like...... how it was described. Hell, it even sounded like Dark Souls, where if you're online, you can get invaded by others at a moment's notice. And don't people love that about Dark Souls?

"Persistent, always online component." Yes, it's what they described. They didn't say you could play by yourself offline. That I will believe when (if) it happens.

UrbanRats

Open World is what i wanted ME1 to be, so i'm happy about that.

Hopefully i'll be able to play it without barfing all over (doubtful).

Its called Mirror's Edge 2 and yet, its a reboot. If they wanted to do that, they might as well add a subtitle instead of a 2. Eh whatever, interested if any of this rumor is true.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I think some people underestimate just how capable Frostbite 3 is as a rendering engine, and how impressive the Mirror's Edge aesthetic is. The original Mirror's Edge is hardly a milestone of technological accomplishment (hello baked shadows), yet still looks incredible to this day thanks to the brilliant use of single colours and tones, contrasting, and geometric design. Rendering issues tend to me more obvious with high geometric and texture complexity. Mirror's Edge is all about clean and stylish. Harder, edged geometry and clean, flat colours are easier to render and more impressive as a comprehensive image.

Mirror's Edge 2 looks excellent, but I don't think it looks outrageously out-of-this-world insane on a technical level, and that's what would matter most in terms of downgrades.

Console builds may suffer in the long run, that ceiling and all, but the PC version should look much like the GIF.

I kinda feel with the 2016 it's an "ETA 2016" rather than locked in 2016. Could be very early 2016 or super late 2015 for all I know. I'd be hard to set up a firm release date for a game still a long way away.

Well, considering DICE isn't moving on from Battlefield 4 until they fix everything with it, are we sure 2016 is even to be believed? :)

It can have both. A central hub that is open-world (or maybe even more than one hub) with side-missions and everything, and then specific missions more in the classic style.

I guess it would be a bit like Deus Ex HR. It could definetly work.
Yeah so far as we know, Frosbite isn't capable of a GTA-style open world, so we're almost certainly looking for a hub world/series of interconnected hubs.

Deus Ex isn't a bad comparison.

boltz

Sounds like they are improving on everything from the original, which would be awesome. My biggest complaint about the original was how it really bogged down towards the end.

KiDdYoNe

There is a warm feeling in my heart.

Even tho we all know the problems of the first game, i still love it all.

And now this. Open world will be great for Mirror's Edge, and all the combat details sound really sweet. Can't fucking wait, day 1 for me for sure. Since the trailer, but still :) 2016 is kinda punch in the guts, but it's better than rush. So, good luck DICE.

Fuck, this made my day at work.

DICE does not consider Mirror’s Edge 2 as a brawler, but instead a racing game at heart. For the development team, the focus is on creating a game all about parkour: speed, fluidity, and mastery of your environment.

This makes me very happy! I was kinda worried that they'd move it away from the platforming/speed running focus of the original and into a more action game direction. I just hope that the platforming is as unforgiving as the original.

ph man. oh maaaan. normally i'm against series going open world unless they can truly handle it instead of padding it with meaningless fluff.

but for this game....oh dear lord. all these details in the OP sound so glorious. GOTG contender if they pull it off, just like Mirror's Edge was despite some of it's shortcomings.

i just hope it's not forced online. that can get messy

I think some people underestimate just how capable Frostbite 3 is as a rendering engine, and how impressive the Mirror's Edge aesthetic is. The original Mirror's Edge is hardly a milestone of technological accomplishment (hello baked shadows), yet still looks incredible to this day thanks to the brilliant use of single colours and tones, contrasting, and geometric design. Rendering issues tend to me more obvious with high geometric and texture complexity. Mirror's Edge is all about clean and stylish. Harder, edged geometry and clean, flat colours are easier to render and more impressive as a comprehensive image.

Mirror's Edge 2 looks excellent, but I don't think it looks outrageously out-of-this-world insane on a technical level, and that's what would matter most in terms of downgrades.

Console builds may suffer in the long run, that ceiling and all, but the PC version should look much like the GIF.
Do you know when they started production of this game? If their estimate is 2016 then I can't imagine they're too far into it.

viveks86

- Faking nothing, the E3 2013 Mirror’s Edge 2 teaser was indeed entirely real time and generally unscripted, including the combat systems. Rocket Chainsaw has now seen both in motion in test environments, and they match up, graphically and mechanically.

- Core goal of the reboot is to create an open world, living breathing city for you to explore.

- A comparison to Journey‘s online feature was given as the closest example.

oGvTI.gif

- Its target release date is in 2016.

tumblr_mrdy74ZM1J1r32asho1_4001.gif

- DICE has taken on a lot of feedback from Mirror’s Edge in shaping the combat system for Mirror’s Edge 2. Heavy revisions have shaped the combat away from useless gunplay and one button combats (like the nut-punch) to a deeper system that emphasises speed and fluidity. Environment interaction is also a key feature of the combat system, Faith able to push, punch, and kick enemies out of the way, over ledges, tables, and railings. These physics driven interactions are combined with 1-2-3 punch/kick style combos, wall running, flips, and other martial arts moves, as well as brief grapples. Occasionally a third person take-down move will be used when an enemy is beaten, and “adaptive slow-motion” is used vary sparingly, mostly just to highlight cool sequences, like the E3 2013 trailer face punch. Rocket Chainsaw has seen all of these combat functions performed in real time, without scripting.

- While DICE are committed to providing a deeper combat system, melee combat is not the single focus of Mirror’s Edge 2. DICE does not consider Mirror’s Edge 2 as a brawler, but instead a racing game at heart. For the development team, the focus is on creating a game all about parkour: speed, fluidity, and mastery of your environment. Even these changes to the combat system are being done to prevent issues with Mirror’s Edge where players would have a stretch of parkour with intermittent pace breaking stops to fight an opponent. DICE wishes to seamlessly integrate encounters and the combat system into the feeling of speed and parkour mastery, so players even while fighting are still on the move, making progress, and interacting with their environment.

This has me very excited. Disappointing it's still 2 years away though.

jpax

Always online would be a deal breaker for me. Not dealing with this nonsense... I really hope that this is not true, but knowing EA I am sure I have to ditch this game. Very sad!

sono

I loved ME1.

I dont think I like the sound of an online single player campaign if that paradox makes sense, i.e need details

I am fine with the rest.

Shiloa

It's the bit about third person which makes me most concerned. No matter how cool the thing you are doing is, breaking into third person at any point breaks the immersion. ME1 did it once, and only at the very moment it didn't matter any more, there was no immersion to break.

SnowTeeth

Banned
My poor pocket. I'll either need to upgrade my graphics card (own a GTX 570) or get a PS4 for this.

You know, it'll be totally worth it. Along with Star Citizen, Tex Murphy: The Telsa Effect and Dreamfall: Chapters all of (well most of) my favorite game series now have sequels (SC being the spiritual successor the Wing Commander.... though I'd probably faint if EA ever pulled their thumb out).

It's a grand time to be alive I tells you!

DocSeuss

- Part of this open world environment includes a persistent, “always online” component. The open world is considered a multiplayer “playground” where other plays can drop-in/drop-out seamlessly, freely choosing their level of interaction with other players and the game world. A comparison to Journey‘s online feature was given as the closest example.

And this literally killed all interest I had in the game. Just like that.

I like getting immersed in the game world, and real human beings tend to play games like, they took the red pill, and I find my game worlds to be better when the other characters in the game are all the people who took the blue pill.

That pulls me out of the game.

Always online would be a deal breaker for me. Not dealing with this nonsense... I really hope that this is not true, but knowing EA I am sure I have to ditch this game. Very sad!

Always online? Again?

Im starting to wonder if i might as well sell my console. Im not interested in this shit.

I assume by part, they mean it's a mode and doesn't mean you can't play offline.

- Part of this open world environment includes a persistent, “always online” component. The open world is considered a multiplayer “playground” where other plays can drop-in/drop-out seamlessly, freely choosing their level of interaction with other players and the game world. A comparison to Journey‘s online feature was given as the closest example.

- Other general multiplayer components include co-op and competitive modes, such as time trials

Dartastic

So in other words, they're taking the Mirrors Edge initial concept and shooting for the moon. Sure. I'm okay with that. Just keep what made Mirrors Edge so special; the speedrunning and the ridiculous precision of the platforming.

Top Bottom