• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Mirror's Edge 2 details

And this literally killed all interest I had in the game. Just like that.

I like getting immersed in the game world, and real human beings tend to play games like, they took the red pill, and I find my game worlds to be better when the other characters in the game are all the people who took the blue pill.

That pulls me out of the game.

If it is like Journey, you'll be able to play offline/without anyone interrupting your game. It all comes to down execution, but them citing Journey as a example gives me hope.

Theecliff

Banned
Wait, so does everyone play as Faith in this online world? How's that going to work? Or is it going to make the character models look different to other players, but everyone 'plays' as Faith?

And man, I still really need to play the original.

Mdk7

Not a fan of open worlds (AT ALL), yet what disturbs me the most is the release date so painfully far away.
Ouch.

"Target platform: PC". Awww yeah. Now I may have something to look forward to.

"Always online" bit doesn't make me crazy, but as long as I get that adrenaline feeling while bullets whiz bye as I run and parkour, I think I'll be good.

Wiktor

Love what I'm hearing about it. Always thought ME was perfect for multiplayer as long as it's done as racing game instead of shooter. That said, I do hope they will allow you to disable other players in the gameworld, same as Watch_dogs does.

And tempted to reinstall Mirror's Edge..again.

kmax

Well, I got the impression that the development stages were still in the early days at the unveiling last year, so 2016 sounds pretty reasonable. Still, 8 years is a long time for a sequel to come out. Frank Gibeau at EA said in an interview a couple of years ago that they were still exploring how to do it right this time, implying that they loved the concept, but weren't too happy with how it sold last time. EA's shifting gears now, and are aiming at outputing less games, but making them larger in scope, so this thing's presumabely going to be pretty big, considering that it's open world and all.

I'm very excited with this game, as I absolutely loved the first one despite its flaws, so I can't wait.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Well, I got the impression that the development stages were still in the early days at the unveiling last year, so 2016 sounds pretty reasonable. Still, 8 years is a long time for a sequel to come out.

iKMKkls5ygqiy.gif

I'm very sceptical at this point. I really liked the first game despite its flaws, and I'm honestly not sure what to think of an open-world environment. Does that mean you can roam around and accept the next story mission or a side mission if you like? [meets a guy standing on a rooftop at 9pm] "Please deliver this letter to my wife" [Faith arrives within about 2 minutes] "Thank you" [receives $200] DELIVERY COMPLETE. I can't really see that working well within the ethos of the first game. I mean, having bigger environments so you can reach the objective in a variety of ways would be cool, but it doesn't need to be open world for that. I don't necessarily think it would be a bad thing; I'm just not sure it would be as fast and exciting as the first game. Happy to be proven wrong though.

peakish

I'm also a bit worried about the open world nature of the game, it seems to me like something done just because games should be like that these days. I'm very willing to be proven wrong on it if Dice has some great ideas for it and not just a ton of inconsequential side quests and running back and forth. The first game had great pacing, it would be a shame to lose that.

The other details sound great. I've never understood the aversion of firearms being a part of the combat (it was just an extra tool to be used in cool ways for me, never an actual way to turn the game into a shooter) so I'll miss them, but I'm remaining cautiously hyped by the combat details and focus on running rather than action.

I don't like the fact that it's open world this time, although I'm not surprised that that's the direction EA is taking with a sequel. And adding a multiplayer component, again, don't like it but not surprised. Plus always online. Plus it's a reboot, after ONE fucking instalment.

It's best I accept now that this won't be a follow-up to the Mirror's Edge I know and love. It'll be easier that way.

Plus always online. Plus it's a reboot, after ONE fucking instalment.

I don't understand the need for it to be a reboot at all. Faith is still going to be a runner, none of the other characters were so essential they have to be in the sequel, and stylistically it's obviously very similar to the first game.

Sounds like Batman (combat) meets assassins creed (free running in an open world) meets sim city (for the bits that force you online for no good reason).

Mark me down as dubious.

I don't understand the need for it to be a reboot at all. Faith is still going to be a runner, none of the other characters were so essential they have to be in the sequel, and stylistically it's obviously very similar to the first game.

They basically didn't bother with investing in any creativity, so they decided to make the same game with shinier graphics and always online bullshit.

Mully

I'm very sceptical at this point. I really liked the first game despite its flaws, and I'm honestly not sure what to think of an open-world environment. Does that mean you can roam around and accept the next story mission or a side mission if you like? [meets a guy standing on a rooftop at 9pm] "Please deliver this letter to my wife" [Faith arrives within about 2 minutes] "Thank you" [receives $200] DELIVERY COMPLETE. I can't really see that working well within the ethos of the first game. I mean, having bigger environments so you can reach the objective in a variety of ways would be cool, but it doesn't need to be open world for that. I don't necessarily think it would be a bad thing; I'm just not sure it would be as fast and exciting as the first game. Happy to be proven wrong though.

The open-world would allow players to get to know certain environments which would eliminate the trial and error that made the first one so frustrating. It would also make the game highly replayable and community oriented since players would constantly compete and show-off with the rest of the community.

Dahaka

I fear that a open world experience with "quests" and interaction with players makes ME lose some of it's magical surreal atmosphere and strong/tight chase linearity. I loved to be alone in that world with extremely limited interaction with other persons. It was a huge part of the atmosphere.

And how in the hell was ME frustrating? I had the Xbox for less than half a year with the PC as my main and I could still beat it not being a Gamepad artist. Sure I died a few times along the way but it was never frustrating. ME was very immersive and suspenseful with outstanding music by Solar Fields and beautiful artistry/sound design (play with a capable OpenAL device). One of my all-time favorites.

Albo

Sounds amazing. Can't believe the trailer was realtime, in an open world game too. Just hope it doesn't get downgraded too much by release (on consoles anyway)

I presume SW Battlefront 3 and battlefield are probably more of a priority to them given ME2's 2016 date. I remember reading an interview where they sid they've had a small team working on it for a while, whereas presumably their other teams are consist of hundreds of devs.

- Part of this open world environment includes a persistent, “always online” component. The open world is considered a multiplayer “playground” where other plays can drop-in/drop-out seamlessly, freely choosing their level of interaction with other players and the game world. A comparison to Journey‘s online feature was given as the closest example.

- Other general multiplayer components include co-op and competitive modes, such as time trials

OMG YES YES YES AAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

This is all I've ever wanted, multiplayer races.

Wait, so does everyone play as Faith in this online world? How's that going to work? Or is it going to make the character models look different to other players, but everyone 'plays' as Faith?

And man, I still really need to play the original.

What are you doing here?! Get to it!

Mman235

The fact they consider it fundamentally a racing game is good news, the rest could be great or very, very bad; the multiplayer is cool as long as the "always online" part isn't literal. Open world has at least a 50% chance of being mostly empty running across environments to waypoints with none of the tightly put together challenges of the original game. The combat could be good as long as you can get it out the way fast and it's not too big a part of the game.

Really though my main worry is whether they dumb down the platforming; I could handle a ton of bullshit if the platforming is as deep as the first game or deeper, but if they try to get rid of that at all I'm out, and back to praying for a new saviour of the genre to arrive.

Hopefully Faith's design gets rebooted to the superior version:

The fucking nipples get me every time :lol

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
What about this looks especially ridiculous to you relative to Battlefield 4's multiplayer, which is cross-gen and takes place on giant maps?

The simple geometry of the Mirror's Edge art style will allow them to do a lot more than you'd expect and the game is still two years out.

I think some people underestimate just how capable Frostbite 3 is as a rendering engine, and how impressive the Mirror's Edge aesthetic is. The original Mirror's Edge is hardly a milestone of technological accomplishment (hello baked shadows), yet still looks incredible to this day thanks to the brilliant use of single colours and tones, contrasting, and geometric design. Rendering issues tend to me more obvious with high geometric and texture complexity. Mirror's Edge is all about clean and stylish. Harder, edged geometry and clean, flat colours are easier to render and more impressive as a comprehensive image.

Mirror's Edge 2 looks excellent, but I don't think it looks outrageously out-of-this-world insane on a technical level, and that's what would matter most in terms of downgrades.

Console builds may suffer in the long run, that ceiling and all, but the PC version should look much like the GIF.

To clarify I agree MEs art allows for more, and Frostbite is an absolute beast.

I also think the environmental graphics are very doable. What made me sceptical is the fidelity of the character models, which in the trailer could easily pass for CGI, being little rered around an open world game.

Then again if the stick closely to ME1 the environment won't be filled with NPCs either so I suppose that could free up enough resources. We shall see.

Everything in the .gif looks doable. It's he end of the trailer, skin pore zoom I was skeptical about. However I would absolutely love I eat some crow.

Fox Mulder

I assume by part, they mean it's a mode and doesn't mean you can't play offline.

it's hard to make positive assumptions about EA anymore. I expect the worst from these these days.

I loved the first mirrors edge, but will wait for reviews before allowing any hype to enter my mind. They've had a string of fuckups just this last year.

"Open-world" sounds pretty antithetical to appeal of the first game.... I'm pretty concerned that a large city will be less fun than the first game's tightly-designed levels.

If that's what it took to get the green light then Iguess it's better than nothing.

Parkour is perfectly fit for an open world, man. Look, let's get real here. The first game on your first playthrough you were bumbling into what was scalable and what was not, there was trial and error. You couldn't just run all the time and figure out the path on the fly, you'd have to slow down and experiment. With an open world, you can probably scale buildings and structures in multiple ways so it didn't feel like a Sonic game where it feels crummy when you lose momentum. I'm guessing there'll be tighter levels to focus on mastering the level design, there'll be time trials for that too.

sublimit

Banned
All these new additions and changes sound very good on paper.Still they haven't talked about the most important element in the game:the platforming.Is it exactly the same as it was in the original?

If it is then yeah i'm buying this on day one.

Guy.brush

• lvl2 sneakers to run 10% faster - only 2.99$
  • larger courier bag to cut the number of delivery runs - 4.99$
  • fitness workout to shorten recovery time after fast sprints - 0.99$
  • melee workout to kick enemies harder - 0.99$
  • lvl2 gloves to increase grip on slippy surfaces - 2.99$
  • unique bikini outfit for Faith - 9.99$

EGM1966

Deeper melee sounds good but not sold on idea of open world. Seems many want this but I'm sure this will result in weaker level / mission design.

Given the focus on running/parkour a liner flow though a well thought out level will trump an open world obstacle course every time - IMHO.

Also not sure about the constant social aspects. The idea of coop, time trials, etc. sounds great but I always expect option to decide myself whether I'm online or not and not have the game decide for me.

I pray they stick with no guns for Faith.

I'd like use of the running/climbing outside combat too - that was a weakness in ME I felt, very one note run from bad guys missions all the time. A few infiltration missions where you sneak in to get something (not full on stealth, more get above people, use parkour routes to avoid guards, etc is what I mean) or have to rush around defusing bombs or rescuing people would be a welcome break from run from the guards only stuff.

Village

So horrible, hilarious. Faith is one of the best character designs last gen, one of the few character that looked unique and actually human

Both of those pictures he quoted look like people, considering I know people who have both those faces and builds.

Except Mirror's Edge is kinda all about being alone against an entire system.

Nah, you had other runners in your team. There was always hints that in your spare time, you sparred and ran around with them. The end of Mirror's Edge hinted at Faith taking over the runner rebel movement and being a leader, so more students could come about to build a mobile army to take down the corporations. In a heavy surveillance world, runners would be the only hope of getting secure info transferred between contacts without getting bugged.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not convinced about the online world part, and I hope it isn't mandatory. That's not to say I'm not curious about it, and I'd like to give it a try, but knowing how many online-only games went (at least around launch), I am very skeptical about it.

The rest sounds awesome. Having a co-op mode and a revamped combat mode is great. Especially the latter, which I always thought was the worst part of the original game (besides the story, but it doesn't bother me because I can -and do- skip every cutscene). Being able to beat the enemies while still running and moving is probably the best thing I've heard about this. 2016 can't come soon enough, and this will probably be the first game I buy on Origin.

Cool news (minus the long wait)!

I really hope that there is a true offline SP experience in addition to the interesting MP idea. Doubt I would buy this if it is always online. Sigh.

Both of those pictures he quoted look like people, considering I know people who have both those faces and builds.

d49leXy.jpg

For the right one? Anecdotal evidence, prove it. Unless if you're talking about those real life barbie people. *shudders*

0.jpg

LIKE-us-on-Facebook-91.jpg

It's kind of crazy to think how non-stereotyped Faith was as a design, I remember the producer Tim Farrer getting pissed with that otaku revision:
“I remember when I first had that image sent to me. To be honest, I found it kind of sad. We’ve spent time in developing Faith. And the important thing for us was that she was human, that she was more real.

“We really wanted to get away from the typical portrayal of women in games, that they’re all just kind of tits and ass in a steel bikini. We wanted her to look athletic and fit and strong [enough] that she could do the things that she’s doing.

“We wanted her to be attractive, but we didn’t want her to be a supermodel. We wanted her to be approachable and far more real. It was just kind of depressing that someone thinks it would be better if Faith was a 12-year-old with a boob job. That was kind of what that image looked to me.”

The point is that a slender Asian woman with realistically small breasts is extremely unusual in videogames, whereas a slim woman with a big bust who might be of mixed race is a bit less distinct and interesting.

Top Bottom