• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: MK:X delayed on last gen consoles

UPDATE: Officially delayed until Summer of this year.
Warner Bros. has confirmed that the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions of Mortal Kombat X have been delayed until summer. The Xbox One, PS4 and PC versions are still on track to release on April 14.

"Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment today confirmed that the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions of Mortal Kombat X being developed by High Voltage Software will release this summer," Warner Bros said in a statement provided to VideoGamer.com. "The Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and Windows PC versions will be available April 14."

---OP---

From the Mad Max Release Date thread
Just received word from WB that release for Mad Max will be in September 2015.

On a side note: MKX for PS3/X360 has been delayed till June.

We don't have much concrete proof but this wouldn't be surprising given WB Games being a leading force in utilizing current gen hardware and leaving last gen in the dust with the cancellation of Dying Light and Max Max's last gen ports and Arkham Knight being a current gen only title.

They probably stopped prioritizing it's development after the poor Shadow of Mordor ports sold under expectations and were, well... Shit.

So, thought?

EDIT- This interview from a while ago seems to paint the picture that Ed and the team don't really care about the last generation versions regardless so if the studio handling the port decided to give up and throw in the towel, it would most likely be fine by him. http://youtu.be/eqhijAyqrE4

Incoming kancellation?

Yeah. I don't really think developers are going to bother spending extra resources to get broken last-gen games to work over chasing the increasing current-gen' market. The last generation may have a larger market, but this is the year the big Xbone/PS4 only titles are hitting and I doubt any publisher wants to be left behind.

Dereck

The next-gen SPITE. comes with $400 worth of dissatisfaction.

most prevalent in Halo fans :(
juOvXdY.png

Not happening. Most of the FGC haven't bought into next gen because of stick compatibility.
Isn't it up to the individual games to include kompatibility for sticks?

It's time to move on anyway. I'll bet that the last gen ports of MKX will have nasty problems that prohibit them from being kompetitive like framedrops that won't get fixed.

RM8

Last gen version doesn't exist out of goodwill, it's likely to be profitable enough, that's why it exists. So lol at "waste of resources".

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Yeah. I don't really think developers are going to bother spending extra resources to get broken last-gen games to work over chasing the increasing current-gen' market. The last generation may have a larger market, but this is the year the big Xbone/PS4 only titles are hitting and I doubt any publisher wants to be left behind.

while true for the most part, games like Mortal Kombat make a lot of sense to have on 7th gen. Shadow of Morder 7th gen sold 500k world wide, that's still a lot of revenue you can't just ignore.

While that was probably below what they wanted for SoM, for a fighting game like MK that is heavily community-driven and not everyone within those communities have fully upgraded yet, it would make more sense to release those ports this year (when they are ready) vs not at all.

Next year would probably be a different story after 1 more holiday.
But the numbers are still favorable for now. At least, I imagine that's what they are thinking (unless the games are just a technical wreck).

Most of these games releasing early this year probably started production before next generation sales took off and when 360/PS3 still looked like a safe bet.

OneUh8

Not trying to sound harsh or anything, but why not just drop last gen? The sooner the better for current gen.

Last gen version doesn't exist out of goodwill, it's likely to be profitable enough, that's why it exists. So lol at "waste of resources".
I'm not sure it's that simple. If cross gen games were still profitable enough you'd see more games being announced as such, not less.

Last gen versions of games aren't being delayed/canned for no reason either.

Yeah, I'm not sure why people are so eager for the 360/PS3 versions to be cancelled. It's clear that current gen sales are higher but this is being handled by another studio and there's not going to be a significant difference at this point in development if they can cancel it.

RM8

I'm not sure it's that simple. If cross gen games were still profitable enough you'd see more games being announced as such, not less.

Last gen versions of games aren't being delayed/canned for no reason either.
MK is probably not as expensive as most games, being a 2D fighter (and 2D fighters being usually not very demanding is likely another reason why this being cross gen made sense).

Let's be honest, MKX looks very cross gen even on current gen systems, putting this on PS360 is probably not a huge deal.

They have a second team working on a last-gen port with a lot of problems (assuming this is actually delayed). Resources could be better spent putting a second studio on a next-gen game. I mean, i appreciate that people are unwilling or unable to buy new consoles, but the more developers looking forward instead of just being last gen port houses the better.

Warner did this with Mordor. Also with Mad Max only on new gen i guess only lego on last gen systems?

Also it was pretty telling that MKX is on PS4 at EVO this year

Yeah, I'm not sure why people are so eager for the 360/PS3 versions to be cancelled. It's clear that current gen sales are higher but this is being handled by another studio and there's not going to be a significant difference at this point in development if they can cancel it.

They are under the false impression that current gen version will somehow get better if a lastgen version that the studio isn't eben working on themselves is cancelled.

JayEH

WB really is dropping last gen support with the Mordor delay, this delay, MM and Dying Light last gen cancelled. Good on them.

so what would canceling the game now do...

besides not letting people without a ps4/xbox one play.

it costs money to release a game

even if it was completely done

They are under the false impression that current gen version will somehow get better if a lastgen version that the studio isn't eben working on themselves is cancelled.

i dont think that

i think its a waste of talent, time, and money

A friend of mine is planning to get it on Xbox 360 next month, so I hope it doesn't get delayed...or worse, cancelled.

I'm getting it on Xbox One myself on release day.

Xater

Not happening. Most of the FGC haven't bought into next gen because of stick compatibility.

1. The FGC is a small fraction of players.
2. No one is going to play the definitely worse version at a tourney.
3. MK is primarily being played with the pad.

Delay it forever. I wanna see a full next gen mortal kombat

Which this is. Netherrealm is making the best game they can while High Voltage has to figure out how to make that work on last gen systems.

Top Bottom