• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR Modern Warfare 2 and MW1 pre order bonus for COD2016 (Xbox One?)

RexNovis

Banned
COD has a multi year marketing contract with PlayStation so it's pretty damn unlikely they would release exclusive extra content for the version without their marketing deal.

Hasney

COD has a multi year marketing contract with PlayStation so it's pretty damn unlikely they would release exclusive extra content for the version without their marketing deal.

That's what I was thinking, but if Activision wanted to make these games available for BC and MS were the ones to give them away, that could be some kind of loophole. Activision just couldn't advertise it on the box or anything like that.

Welfare

Well, it's not like Sony can even get these games on BC.

Also there have been CoD bundles for the PS3 back in the day, and Dark Souls 3 has DS1 as an incentive, so it's not unprecedented.

If this were to happen, they need to fix the hacks. CoD 4 is unplayable last I played.

I don't think that exclusive contract would extend to not making past COD games BC on Xbox though. That's kinda messed up if it is.

krang

Xbox owners have been getting EA games early on EAA despite having a marketing agreement with Sony, too. There's a president for these benefits where the service is available.

Introvese

Banned
Why do you feel sorry for the 15+ million people having fun each and every year since MW?
Majority of that 15 million cannot appreciate any other game from what I see. Bring games like Bloodborne, Sunset Overdrive, & The Witcher to them. They will look at you like u have jelly on your head.

liquidtmd

Banned
I'm sorry COD fans are a strange bunch. I salute them for their loyalty. But at the same time feel sorry for them

I'll bite. Why?

Majority of that 15 million cannot appreciate any other game from what I see. Bring games like Bloodborne, Sunset Overdrive, & The Witcher to them. They will look at you like u have jelly on your head.

They pay money and enjoy the games they like.

I like The Witcher and Bloodborne but I can damn easily see why they aren't for everyone. COD is very accessible for all its faults.

A HD remaster of COD4 would be real nice on its own. Since the online for those old games is exploit city these days it would be nice to have the last great COD game playable and secure again.

MW2 was the start of the end. Akimbo shotguns ruined the online. SP wasnt as well paced.

-hadouken

I'll bite. Why?

Well the fans did have to suffer the decline from greatness:

CehVOVAWQAAU9KO.png

To this...

CehVN_0WQAAtdgl.png

It would be pretty funny if IW just nuked all the CoD4 leaderboards and servers and started from scratch. Although the community would probably never forgive them.

I used to be really into the competitive scene in mw2, hope they bring it back as a standalone HD game or something. Like, as THE cod game for the year.

I was burnt out on spending $150+ every year since BO2. Haven't even bought the last two. It would certainly make me think of playing cod again.

If sure there's another thread out there for you. Go take a look, we'll wait here.

-hadouken

It would be pretty funny if IW just nuked all the CoD4 leaderboards and servers and started from scratch. Although the community would probably never forgive them.

They'll need to. With all the hacking, the LBs are completely broken. I can't even rank up or unlock anything. I despise the hackers and their disregard for people who actually play the games they fook up.

RexNovis

Banned
That's what I was thinking, but if Activision wanted to make these games available for BC and MS were the ones to give them away, that could be some kind of loophole. Activision just couldn't advertise it on the box or anything like that.

Yep they could maybe do it but it'd undoubtedly require some fiddling to avoid breaches of contract.

Well, it's not like Sony can even get these games on BC.

Also there have been CoD bundles for the PS3 back in the day, and Dark Souls 3 has DS1 as an incentive, so it's not unprecedented.

If this were to happen, they need to fix the hacks. CoD 4 is unplayable last I played.

Offering them as free value ads with the purchase of the game would be considered exclusive additional content and that's not something that a marketing contract with the platform in direct competition would be likely to allow. If they want to maje the games backwards compatible and put them for sale on the store that would be another story and should be no problem whatsoever. But that's not the scenario prodded in the op.

I don't think that exclusive contract would extend to not making past COD games BC on Xbox though. That's kinda messed up if it is.

Marketing deals usually lock down exclusive content for the platform with said deal so the idea that the competing platform would get exclusive content that ads value to the platform without that contract is counter to the very reasons these marketing contracts exist in the first place. They would not be bundled with the purchase of the new CoD as proposed in the OP. As I said before however that would not stop them from adding the titles to the store for purchase separately if they choose to. The devil is in the details.

Xbox owners have been getting EA games early on EAA despite having a marketing agreement with Sony, too. There's a president for these benefits where the service is available.

That's completely different as its a feature of service that happens to be unavailable on the other system. I can understand why consumers would see them as analogous but as far as contracting is concerned it's completely different.

Fularu

Banned

Why do you even care, they play the games they have an interest in. It's up to Bloodborne, Sunset or Witcher to capture their attention.

And believe it or not, it's possible to own Black ops 3, Sunset Overdrive, Bloodborne and The Witcher 3. They'Re not mutually exclusive

krang

That's completely different as its a feature of service that happens to be unavailable on the other system. I can understand why consumers would see them as analogous but as far as contracting is concerned it's completely different.

Err...

RexNovis

Banned

Are you really struggling to understand how features of EAAccess and how they apply to all the titles from the publisher that owns and operates that service are not comparable to cross platform marketing deals and their influence on value added content across comforting platforms? They are not remotely the same thing from a business perspective.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.

BC is unavailable on the other system. It's the exact same thing. Youre talking out of your ass.

-hadouken

That sniper level was pure garbage
Had more fun in Ghillied than any other military-based FPS campaign level ever. Shooting people (and dealing with the consequences) when you were meant to be stealthing still entertains to this day.

krang

Are you really struggling to understand how features of EAAccess and how they apply to all the titles from the publisher Taft owns and operates that service are not comparable to cross platform marketing deals and their influence on value added content? They are not remotely the same thing from a business perspective.

No, they're not. The end result is probably worse for the platform holder whose brand new co-marketed game can be played early on another platform.

I don't see why it would be such a big issue. Like EA Access and Battlefront it won't be marketed outside of Xbox channels, but it will help sell preorders to Xbox owners and costs Activision little/nothing.

RexNovis

Banned
BC is unavailable on the other system. It's the exact same thing. Youre talking out of your ass.

There differences involved with the two scenarios. The contractual differences are indisputable. They aren't equivalent. Please see my follow up comment on the matter.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
There differences involved with the two scenarios. The contractual differences are indisputable. They aren't equivalent. Please see my follow up comment on the matter.

You seem to be focused on "no extra content". This isnt extra content to a new game, it is merely a bonus.

Top Bottom