• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR Modern Warfare 2 and MW1 pre order bonus for COD2016 (Xbox One?)

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
giphy.gif
Having played it again recently, I get what he means though.

I used to think it was such a great stealth level, but I realized that a lot of handholding goes on in it

VariantX

Well the fans did have to suffer the decline from greatness:

CehVOVAWQAAU9KO.png

To this...

CehVN_0WQAAtdgl.png

I want to defend this, but I just don't know how. I guess people just like what they like, even if that means wearing neon helmets and weilding dragon blades in their military shooters.

RexNovis

Banned
No, they're not. The end result is probably worse for the platform holder whose brand new co-marketed game can be played early on another platform.

I don't see why it would be such a big issue. Like EA Access and Battlefront it won't be marketed outside of Xbox channels, but it will help sell preorders to Xbox owners and costs Activision little/nothing.

At this point you are being purposefully obtuse. One involves a contract between a publisher and a competing platform the other involves a service run by a publisher that happens to be exclusive to one platform because it was declined by the competition. There is hi contract involved with the features of EA Access as a service since the publisher runs and promotes that service themselves. There is, however, a contract between Sony and Activision in regards to the marketing of Call Of Duty and that contract is drafted to provide added incentive to purchase said game on Sony's platform. Given the states intent of that contract it's extremely unlikely that there would be anything that could be construed as exclusive added value associated with the purchase of the new CoD on the platform without that contract as it completely undermines the aims of the deal made.

As I said the could certainly offer the games as BC games for sale on the store but the idea that they would be included as incentive to purchase the new game in XB1 makes zero sense and is in direct contradiction to the aims of the marketing contract drafted with PlayStation.

You seem to be focused on "no extra content". This isnt extra content to a new game, it is merely a bonus.

It is exclusive added value that incentivized purchase in the platform that does not have the marketing deal hence why if the BC titles are happening they would be sold separately so as not to undermine the purposes of the marketing contract: to incentivize CoD purchases on PlayStation.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
I want to defend this, but I just don't know how. I guess people just like what they like, even if that means wearing neon helmets and weilding dragon blades in their military shooters.

Most of my friends that are hardcore CoD fans dont like the psuedo scifi in the recent games. And as a scifi lover, I am not being won over by it. It seems to be aimed at review scores more than anything, while also knowing they will get 15 million sales anyways.

-hadouken

But is it really what people want? I'm not so sure. This obsession with being a special customised snowflake has cost the game its soul. In the end when everyone is yellow and blue with a fookin pink gun, the uniqueness wears thin. If everyone is special, no one is.

It seems to be aimed at review scores more than anything.
I'm thinking it also helps them do well with children.

krang

At this point you are being purposefully obtuse. One involves a contract between a publisher and a competing platform the other involves a service run by a publisher that happens to be exclusive to one platform because it was declined by the competition. There is hi contract involved with the features of EA Access as a service since the publisher runs and promotes that service themselves. There is, however, a contract between Sony and Activision in regards to the marketing of Call Of Duty and that contract is drafted to provide added incentive to purchase said game on Sony's platform. Given the states intent of that contract it's extremely unlikely that there would be anything that could be construed as exclusive added value associated with the purchase of the new CoD on the platform without that contract as it completely undermines the aims of the deal made.

As I said the could certainly offer the games as BC games for sale on the store but the idea that they would be included as incentive to purchase the new game in XB1 makes zero sense and is in direct contradiction to the aims of the marketing contract drafted with PlayStation.

You've read that contract?

RexNovis

Banned
You've read that contract?

Why would I need to read a contract to understand the basic goals behind said contract and why something would undermine said goals? Not to mention we have ample historical precedent in what these deals entail and how they play out. You're basically arguing that Activision will create a scenario wherein they add value to purchases on a platform in direct competition with the company with whom they have a marketing contract for said game because reasons. And somehow I am the one being unreasonable here? Right yea ok.

enemy2k

I miss mw1 and 2. I played them on the PC though. Wouldn't mind doing the campaigns on the Xbox one for achievements and mw1 campaign was fun. Sucks the hackers on the consoles ruin the MP though.

krang

Why would I need to read a contract to understand the basic goals behind said contract and why something would undermine said goals? Not to mention we have ample historical precedent in what these deals entail and how they play out. You're basically arguing that Activision will create a scenario wherein they add value to purchases on a platform in direct competition with the company with whom they have a marketing contract for said game because reasons. And somehow I am the one being unreasonable here? Right yea ok.

I'm just asking a question.

That sounds cool and all but the real question is what the hell is this one going to be about? The rumours keep going back and forth between COD Ghost 2, COD Bloodlines or just something different altogether. Dammit people pick a rumour and stick with it.

RexNovis

Banned
I'm just asking a question.

And I'm telling you that it's irrelevant in regards to the points or comments I've made. You don't need to read a marketing contract to know the goals behind it nor do you need to read a marketing contract to know what they entail according to industry precedent. The only reason you're asking the question is to imply that the answer, of which you are already well aware, somehow invalidates my points when in reality it does no such thing.

krang

And I'm telling you that it's irrelevant in regards to the points or comments I've made. You don't need to read a marketing contract to know the goals behind it nor do you need to read a marketing contract to know what they entail according to industry precedent. The only reason you're asking the question is to imply that the answer, of which you are already well aware, somehow invalidates my points when in reality it does no such thing.

Fair enough.

Have we come full circle and started complaining that CoD is too colourful and needs to be more grey and brown? The sillyness of BO3 is okay in my book.

I remember people complaining that AW played too much like an arcade arena shooter and raising my eyebrow at that too.

How about also getting a free digital copy on PC with it, with cross play as well. Hands down MW2 was not the most balanced COD iteration. But dman it was a lot of fun!

im_dany

I am always entertained by the haters in COD thread. "You like cod?? Why won't you try playing REAL GAMES such as myself???" lol

It's sad to see such a great series going so bland. COD1/2 were truly something great, and COD4 was a game changer for the FPS genre.

I still think Treyarch is the main offender in the denaturalization of COD. WaW MP was COD4.1 with worse balancement, BlOps was good but too different, BlOps2/3 are too fast and filled with useless content that shouldn't have a place in a military fps.

Springy

Have we come full circle and started complaining that CoD is too colourful and needs to be more grey and brown? The sillyness of BO3 is okay in my book.

I remember people complaining that AW played too much like an arcade arena shooter and raising my eyebrow at that too.
Different people raising these objections, I presume. I have always liked and continue to like CoD.

I don't see a problem with CoD now, though throwing in MW and MW2 will at least mute some of the lamentations.

Hip Hop

Well the fans did have to suffer the decline from greatness:

CehVOVAWQAAU9KO.png

To this...

CehVN_0WQAAtdgl.png

Advanced Warfare is pretty decent.

only thing that kept it from great was the skill based matchmaking, which pretty much punished good players like myself with pitting me against other good players 24/7. It's not something I want when I'm not trying to play ranked games.

Haven't seen this "decline" on the series. Even the few downs weren't that bad, and we're quickly brought up with subsequent releases.

I'm still having a blast in every single new COD game, ever since the first one on PC.

EDIT:

That's a pic of Black Ops 3, which might have the best multiplayer to date in COD. I don't get your comment.

Yoday

I'd honestly be shocked if this happened. Activision giving something away sounds incredibly far fetched to me. They barely even discount their games.

RedAssedApe

Banned
not sure i get the hate for the cosmetic items in MP. people seem alright with it in other games...but when its COD...omg abomination

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Majority of that 15 million cannot appreciate any other game from what I see. Bring games like Bloodborne, Sunset Overdrive, & The Witcher to them. They will look at you like u have jelly on your head.

Their money, their team. BOO-HOO they don't play Bloodbourne, Sunset Overdrive, or the Witcher.

MMarston said:
I used to think it was such a great stealth level, but I realized that a lot of handholding goes on in it

But that's what makes it a great level. The numerous scripts make you feel like a bad-ass sneaking your way to the sniping point. AFAIK it's damn hard to break the script on that level.

Spades

I don't think that exclusive contract would extend to not making past COD games BC on Xbox though. That's kinda messed up if it is.

Sony probably wouldn't be pleased if there was an incentive to play on Xbox beyond what they've already moneyhatted.

I'd rather have remastered versions.
But this is cool for the 1% who haven't played MW1 and 2.

Both of those games are mostly dead online.
Being remastered would revive them.

But, eh.

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
Thanks @Razgriz-Specter thats pretty sad tbh might as well keep playing Destiny. To me only CoD i want is CoD4 the best of the bunch imo

-hadouken

B/C makes sense from a business perspective (if it doesn't impact the Sony marketing deal). Doubt we'll see a proper remaster, as they'll be concerned that it'll eat into their freshly made COD of the year.

Consumer

Remaster MW1 + MW2 and fix their MP and I'll bite. Let's just forget MW3 existed, though.

And if this news is true, it's good news even if it's just BC as it means they'll likely go back to fix the PS360 servers.

Top Bottom