• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Monster Hunter Franchise "Handheld" Exclusive for 3 Years on 3DS

AOC83

Banned
Agreed. Sony doesn't seem to care, and I don't see that changing. Heck, the 2013 lineup they've provided for the thing amounts to what? Killzone, Tearaway, and Soul Sacrifice? Is this a joke? They're basically letting the thing die a slow, agonizing death!

I´m wondering why they still dump money in this thing at all. There is absolutely zero meaningful third party support and the sales are abysmal even when they give ridiculous discounts (thing was sold for 150€ with LBP on Amazon).

The Vita is dead, time to move on.

Metallix87

I use them because you and a few people in this thread like to go around acting as if the Vita was canned yesterday. No one is moving goal posts. People are discussing what can be done to help Vita's situation but I'm guessing in your mind, anyone trying to be positive is a shill huh? I'm done.

No, you're not discussing what can be done to help Vita's situation. You guys are making absurd claims about what can save the system, without any support for your argument. Worst of all, you're ignoring the most important tidbit: the lack of software is also a problem. Third parties don't really want to jump on board because of the sales situation, and Sony is barely releasing anything this year for the system. Without software, even a 25% price drop won't do much, since the games aren't there to keep consumers on board.

ugoo18

I think a lot of people haven't heard that some major department store chains in Japan no longer carry the Vita. It's a pretty bad situation, and getting those chains to carry it again will be a trial for Sony.

Damm when did this start?

73V3N

Banned
I use them because you and a few people in this thread like to go around acting as if the Vita was canned yesterday. No one is moving goal posts. People are discussing what can be done to help Vita's situation but I'm guessing in your mind, anyone trying to be positive is a shill huh? I'm done.

Vita needs really drastic moves from Sony to come out of the situation is in now, but you make it sound like it will get fixed within a few years by itself.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I don't go into the media create threads that often but I didn't realize stores in Japan were no longer carrying Vita's. That does sound pretty bad.

If sells less than 10k per week is it really a surprise. It's doing worse the xbox 360 for goodness sake and I'm pretty sure that was for more expensive.

Tenki

Even if this is true, will Monster Hunter do anything for Vita 3 years late? By that time, 3DS will be the default MH platform (if it isn't yet). I expect some kind of MH4 HD on Wii U though.

I´m wondering why they still dump money in this thing at all. There is absolutely zero meaningful third party support and the sales are abysmal even when they give ridiculous discounts (thing was sold for 150€ with LBP on Amazon).

The Vita is dead, time to move on.

Who says they are dumping money into it? I have a strong suspicion that after the current wave of announced software (and maybe Golden Abyss 2) comes out Sony will move on to the PS4

If sells less than 10k per week is it really a surprise. It's doing worse the xbox 360 for goodness sake and I'm pretty sure that was for more expensive.

It's not doing worse than the 360, but it did sell worse than the 360's big holiday week in 2006.

test_account

XP-39C²
It's not even like Sony is committed to the platform. I sound like a broken record, but E3 strongly communicated their feelings about Vita.
Gamescom proved different. I remember people were surprised over the Gamescom presentation and said this is what should have been at E3 instead. Gamescom was only about 1-2 months after E3 anyway, so its lack of present at the E3 press conference didnt mean much.

Sandfox

I don't believe this since MH has appeared on other devices but I think its too late for MH to make a difference for the Vita at this point since its going to have two 3DS games by then.

Kacho

I agree with this, especially when the Wii U version of Tri Ultimate does waaay better in the West than the 3DS version in 2013, which I expect.

That will be interesting to observe. Will it sell more on a platform with a much, much smaller install base?

I don't believe this since MH has appeared on other devices but I think its too late for MH to make a difference for the Vita at this point since its going to have two 3DS games by then.

Probably 3. A G version of 4 will probably be out before the end of 3 years

That will be interesting to observe. Will it sell more on a platform with a much, much smaller install base?

Looking at the absolutely barren Wii U lineup and how 3rd party 3ds games in the west do....it's really possible

7threst

I still think it's pretty unhealthy for a system to be dependent on one franchise, although in Vita's case it's understandable because of what Monster Hunter did for PSP.

thuway

I think it'll be exclusive just long enough for the sales to come to a steady level. Than the Vita announcement with enhanced bullshit will be play out.

mollipen

No its not relevant or similar. A competitor putting down another business and product? Just noise.

It is relevant, in that sometimes people love to count somebody or something out with overly-dramatic and sweeping statements. Saying the Vita won't be around next year at this point is pretty silly to me. Yes, the system is having some serious issues, but a lot can change between now and then.

Metallix87

I think the online multiplayer will play a huge part in this, and I really think a lot of the gamers in the West who play or played Tri will simply migrate to the Wii U version of Tri Ultimate.

test_account

XP-39C²
What would you ensure you that they would have done new assets on Vita? They could have done just an upgraded port of MHP3rd, as they actually planned to release.
There is no confirmation that MHP3rd was planned for a Vita release. This rumor/speculation come from the first showing of the Vita, where they show the PSP emulator running MHP3rd using a 2nd analog stick to control the camera. Nothing more was shown or said regarding this as far as i know.

If that's true, and it's only 3 years, then PSVita will for sure dominate the market on japan by the end of the generation.
I mean, it's monster hunter with HD graphics, while the 3DS iterations are even below what we saw on PSP in that regard.

73V3N

Banned
It is relevant, in that sometimes people love to count somebody or something out with overly-dramatic and sweeping statements. Saying the Vita won't be around next year at this point is pretty silly to me. Yes, the system is having some serious issues, but a lot can change between now and then.

How is that silly when you're saying a lot can change?

that change can be positive but also negative.

If that's true, and it's only 3 years, then PSVita will for sure dominate the market on japan by the end of the generation.
I mean, it's monster hunter with HD graphics, while the 3DS iterations are even below what we saw on PSP in that regard.

Because they totally took the time to make new assets for the Wii U version, right?

AOC83

Banned
Who says they are dumping money into it? I have a strong suspicion that after the current wave of announced software (and maybe Golden Abyss 2) comes out Sony will move on to the PS4

They are still developing games, which will cost them further money.
I hope you´re right about them moving on to the PS4 after they´re released.

Metallix87

... what?

Principate

Saint Titanfall

It's not doing worse than the 360, but it did sell worse than the 360's big holiday week in 2006.

Talking about selling less than 360 per week at this moment in times over the past few weeks (which is what matters to retailers). The only thing edging the Vita is really it's launch.

Sure Sony can moneyhat every 3rd party Japanese IP. Is that even a little bit likely? No. Sure iOS's decimation of the handheld market in the west could completely stop. Is that also likely? Not really. The hope that Sony turns things around are based off miracle situations

....?

Salvadora

Not sure if serious.

Boerseun

Banned
Exclusives are critical for driving sales, thereby maintaining a healthy industry. And I would rather the exclusive be on a viable platform than moneyhatted into obscurity.

test_account

XP-39C²
If the rumor is true, it doesn guarantee that Monster Hunter will come to Vita in 3 years. It just means that it is possible, but Capcom might not do it anyway.

Exclusives are critical for driving sales. And I would rather the exclusive be on a viable platform than moneyhatted into obscurity.
If MH4 was exclusive for Vita, why would it go into obscurity? As you said, exclusives are important to drive sales.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
If MH4 was exclusive for Vita, why would it go into obscurity? You say it yourself, exclusives are important to drive sales.

It won't sell gangbusters lets be honest. when was the last game on the Vita that capped 200k. The terrible software sales and install, base heavily implies a vita version won't set the charts on fire.

Comparing a company to a product isn't particularly useful (especially given that that product is basically an afterthought).

Boerseun

Banned
If MH4 was exclusive for Vita, why would it go into obscurity? As you said, exclusives are important to drive sales.

Because, at that point in time, with the way things are going, Vita will be in obscurity. Whatever you put on there will not resuscitate the platform, in my opinion, regardless of the power of a strong exclusive to drive sales (even one as generally popular as Monster Hunter).

It's not silly, and not a lot can realistically change. No successful system has had such poor sales, or such weak third-party support announced/available, at this point in its lifespan. Heck, GC and Dreamcast had stronger support lined up before launch.

3 years from when the contract was signed would make the most sense to me. No idea when that would've happened, probably in the earlier half of 2011.

I'd be inclined to think the later half of 2011 as 3rd hd vita appeared on a fairly accurate rumour list not long before TGS

Principate

Saint Titanfall
If retailers have started to not stock it, then that's typically near the end of the line it's a vicious cycle. Less people would be likely to buy a vita if they're not shown and advertised by major retailers. This means sales will go down further causing more retailers to stop stocking it and so on.

qq more

So what's the difference then? Don't know whether to be hyped for MH4 or Pokemon X/Y. Yes, I'm serious.
Basically: Monster Hunter you just kill monsters and make armor/weapons out of them and fight tougher ones.

The only thing these two games have in common is just the fact they have Monster in their name.

If retailers have started to not stock it, then that's typically near the end of the line it's a vicious cycle. Less people would be likely to buy a vita if they're not shown and advertised by major retailers. This means sales will go down further causing more retailers to stop stocking it and so on.

Pretty much. Has a system ever lost almost all it's shelf space only to gain some of it back? The second the first major US retailer actually drops it, there will be no going back, although some individual Target's I believe are already either not carrying it or barely pretending it exists.

test_account

XP-39C²
It won't sell gangbusters lets be honest. when was the last game on the Vita that capped 200k. The terrible software sales and install, base heavily implies a vita version won't set the charts on fire.
Do you mean if MH4 is multiplatform? My previous respond was if it was exclusive to one platform. But if it was multiplatform, looking at other titles would be a little indication in my opinion. Monster Hunter is one of the biggest franchises in japanese gaming history (regarding sales per installment in the franchise).

Because, at that point in time, with the way things are going, Vita will be in obscurity. Whatever you put on there will not resuscitate the platform, in my opinion, regardless of the power of a strong exclusive to drive sales (even one as generally popular as Monster Hunter).
Oh, i thought you ment MH4, sorry.

Pretty much. Has a system ever lost almost all it's shelf space only to gain some of it back?
Not sure, but has any system almost lost all shelf space and still being sold?

Sleepy

Basically: Monster Hunter you just kill monsters and make armor/weapons out of them and fight tougher ones.

The only thing these two games have in common is just the fact they have Monster in their name.

I might be starting some shit but which game is better? MH looks better, but which has better gameplay?

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Do you mean if MH4 is multiplatform? My previous respond was if it was exclusive to one platform. But if it was multiplatform, looking at other titles would be a little indication in my opinion. Monster Hunter is one of the biggest franchises in japanese gaming history (regarding sales per installment in the franchise).

Oh, i thought you ment MH4, sorry.

Yea it'll sell more but that doesn't mean it'll sell massively more. It's not like people that own a vita will be more inclined to buy Monster by such a significant degree in comparison to any of the other "big" games it has. There's nothing to imply they're holding out. The system isn't exactly swimming in big games.

Top Bottom