• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: MS cuts the XO price to 349,99€

Hydrargyrus

This is the price that shows the official web (mobile version), at least in the spanish version

P5Xd2dz.png

My capture:
TXaOvWv.jpg

Lock if it's old

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Wouldn't surprise me much given that it's currently already dead in Spain (and most parts of Europe) anyway.

Guerrilla

wow if true, that means won't be long till you see 299€ offers in some stores. Don't think sony would match this, they are still just selling too well in europe. Could help...

kadotsu

Banned
Seems like a good idea. The currency conversion is in their favor. $399 + EU VAT is about €349. I don't think it'll move units. Many retailers already did better deals and didn't move much.

Wouldn't really surprise me considering some of the sales numbers we've seen thus far

People say Europe is Sonyland and all that but if you look at comparisons to previous gens, it appears MS is actually managing to bleed the marketshare they did actually have in Europe with the 360

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Not enough, needs to be 100 euro cheaper than the PS4 for a significant change.... Especially since PS4 can be bought for 350 already.

Guerrilla

Seems like a good idea. The currency conversion is in their favor. $399 + EU VAT is about €349. I don't think it'll move units. Many retailers already did better deals and didn't move much.

Well the deals will still be there, they just will be even 50€ cheaper...

LX_Theo

Banned
I will note... That'd be the easiest "leak" to fake ever if it was just in Times New Roman. Still really easy.

EDIT: Though apparently OP got it too, so whatever. Maybe they coded in the numbers instead of making it an image and its a typo? Just seems unlikely.

ElTorro

Early adopters should really get some kind of ambassador program now though...

Nah, I paid ~570 € for the console and Ryse, but I definitely expected price drops around this time. The Titanfall bundle for 399€ was "worse" in this respect.

Sorc3r3r

It's like looking back, years ago, when the og xbox launched.
Price cuts did wonders back then.
Or not?

NolbertoS

Hmm, Black Friday can't come soon enough. If the Xbox One with Kinect sells at $299.99z. Definitely will buy it, no questions asked.

If this is an offer exclusive to Europe & Spain, I wouldn't be shocked. Microsoft has done plenty of drastic moves to gain traction in that market - remember the FIFA bundle around this time last year?

But another global price drop, right after the Kinect move? That's the sort of thing I refuse to believe. It does drive it into a dangerous impulse territory for me. I bought a WiiU for not much less than that just for exclusives - why not make the same move for the ONE?

kadotsu

Banned
Well the deals will still be there, they just will be even 50€ cheaper...

As someone who often looks for deals on games this isn't how it works. Retailer discounts often precede official pricedrops. When the official drop happens it takes a few months until the next MSRP undercutting deals happen again.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Price cuts are awesome!

Your move Sony.

It's like looking back, years ago, when the og xbox launched.
Price cuts did wonders back then.
Or not?

I imagine the reason we haven't seen further Wii U price cuts is because of Nintendo's experience price cutting gamecube and where that led them

MS seems to subscribe to a different strategy or at least I think they do

Now, I understand that it's entirely possible that I missed something, but was there an official price cut? I don't consider unbundling kinect to be a price cut.

The only official price cut I'm aware of for the XB1 was in the UK. Dropped from 429 GBP to 399 GBP

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If I was a potential xb1 buyer, and MS cut the price to €349, I'd just wait it out until spring. That fucker is going to be free with a box of cereal at this rate. MS need to compete, but they also need to avoid having 'fire sale' associated with their machine - you can be too cheap, too quickly and people will avoid buying your stuff because of it.

I think €349 is ok, but if they go €299 by Easter next year, then that starts to smell bad IMO.

I also think Sony can weather a €50 price difference. At least through to the end of the year in Europe. They are selling well, and can absorb being 'premium' priced. If MS cut to €299, Sony would have to respond, but €50 should be ok.

wrowa

I will note... That'd be the easiest "leak" to fake ever if it was just in Times New Roman. Still really easy.

EDIT: Though apparently OP got it too, so whatever. Maybe they coded in the numbers instead of making it an image and its a typo? Just seems unlikely.

You can just visit the website on your phone and see for yourself, you know. It's not a fake and it's still there.

It would also be the weirdest typo ever. However, we need to know if the price has been changed recently or if it said 349€ for a longer time already. In any case, gamescom is next week and MS teased exciting announcements...

Guerrilla

As someone who often looks for deals on games this isn't how it works. Retailer discounts often precede official pricedrops. When the official drop happens it takes a few months until the next MSRP undercutting deals happen again.

Well we'll see about that, I expect xb1 with game for 349 this holiday season now...

Now, I understand that it's entirely possible that I missed something, but was there an official price cut? I don't consider unbundling kinect to be a price cut.

The unbundling was pretty much an official price cut, at least from the consumer perspective. If they go from "XBox ONE - $499", to "Buy an XBox ONE, get Titanfall", to "XBox ONE - starting at $399", to "XBox ONE - Now starting at $349" - all within the scope of a year.. that paints a very sad narrative.

ElTorro

Sony said that the productions costs for the PS4 are sinking faster than they expected, so maybe the same is true for Microsoft.

Sendou

It still wouldn't be able to compete with PS4 in Europe. I welcome this kind of initiatives but I'm not sure people would buy XBONE over PS4 in droves just because PS4 is 50-100€ more expensive.

The unbundling was pretty much an official price cut, at least from the consumer perspective. If they go from "XBox ONE - $499", to "Buy an XBox ONE, get Titanfall", to "XBox ONE - starting at $399", to "XBox ONE - Now starting at $349" - all within the scope of a year.. that paints a very sad narrative.

This is so true. I don't think anyone saw the PS4 outselling the Xbox One like it currently is.

madmackem

If I was a potential xb1 buyer, and MS cut the price to €349, I'd just wait it out until spring. That fucker is going to be free with a box of cereal at this rate. MS need to compete, but they also need to avoid having 'fire sale' associated with their machine - you can be too cheap, too quickly and people will avoid buying your stuff because of it.

I think €349 is ok, but if they go €299 by Easter next year, then that starts to smell bad IMO.

I also think Sony can weather a €50 price difference. At least through to the end of the year in Europe. They are selling well, and can absorb being 'premium' priced. If MS cut to €299, Sony would have to respond, but €50 should be ok.

If this is true then i think its too late it already has the smell about it, no console will have seen so many cuts to the price in such a short period of time.

Soulflarz

Banned
Id be surprised if next gen...er...current gen consoles go to this levels already
Well, id be more surprised if the ps3/360 didnt go down a bit because the gap would make it hard to justify buying one of those over a slightly more expensive next gen console.

Have I missed something, or is this a LOT of price cutting in short time spans?

KemoSabe

MS has to lower the price in order to catch up with the ps4.
Ps4 sold almost 3 times more then xbone, in germany at least.
If they dont do anything they will lose this gen soo hard...

Top Bottom