• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: New 3DS will double RAM and (nearly double) VRAM.

Why do you think that? We have no firm idea of what QOL is and people keep saying that it will impact games hardware schedule, why??
They're not exactly MS or Sony in terms of employee numbers. They'll have to assign hardware and software people to work on it too. I'm a layman and even I get that.

Nintendo already had a rocky start with 3DS and Wii U because they didn't have enough employees. No one wants to see a third platform thrown into that mix of fast paced release schedules. They'll take their time and do each launch right.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Would make sense, I mean look at this

3dsc0pp7.gif

The difference is huge.

Wow, looking at the original 3DS is like being stuck in the PSP web browser all over again. The new 3DS looks at least acceptable in terms of speed. Glad I waited.

The problem with your comparison is that the iPhone 3GS is a phone. New 3DS is a dedicated gaming machine. All resources are going towards gaming.

This may not necessarily be true. We know that all current gen (including 3DS) systems lock off some RAM specifically for OS functions. We don't know if this RAM will be available even in New 3DS exclusive games, or if the OS is going to hog it to guarantee good web browser performance even when a game is suspended (I wouldn't THINK they'd do this, but it IS a possibility that people should remember).

They're not exactly MS or Sony in terms of employee numbers. They'll have to assign hardware and software people to work on it too. I'm a layman and even I get that.

Nintendo already had a rocky start with 3DS and Wii U because they didn't have enough people. No one wants to see a third platform thrown into that mix of fast paced release schedules. They'll take their time and do each launch right.

But they have a permanently employed hardware development team, (or multiple teams) they need to design new products constantly or they'd have to get rid of them. The Wii Balance Board came out the same year as the DSi.

I've seen QOL brought up a reason we'd not see any new game hardware soon, now new hardware appears and it's being said again!

I'm not sure whether to upgrade. I'll wait until some more exclusives are announced, i guess.

If New OG 3DS has a longer battery then I'm probably going to, though. I prefer the smaller size and screen of the OG, so it would be a complete upgrade to me considering it's not a whole lot bigger.

Ouch, which games are that low res on Vita? Is there like a list of games with their native-res number?

Not sure about a master list, but there was a bit of controversy about FFX on Vita as an example. It employs a variable resolution for cutscenes so they are native while actual gameplay is sub-native.

I'm not sure whether to upgrade. I'll wait until some more exclusives are announced, i guess.

If New OG 3DS has a longer battery then I'm probably going to, though. I prefer the smaller size and screen of the OG, so it would be a complete upgrade to me considering it's not a whole lot bigger.

Don't have the list handy, but I believe they all have increased battery capacity. 3.5 to 7 hours based on brightness/3D use I believe. Up to 12 hours just playing regular DS games.

M3d10n

Except it isn't. The 3DS like all modern consoles limits RAM available to games to enable basic multitasking.
The 3DS reserves 64MB for OS/multitasking and 64MB for games. iOS devices are like PCs and reserve nothing. At most it will kill background apps if the app in the foreground needs more RAM, but the RAM used by the OS itself cannot be claimed by apps.

For example, when Apple released iOS 5 a bunch of games started crashing on the first iPad due to it leaving less RAM available for apps compared to iOS 4.

I dunno how this is administrated, but on the Vita you can really notice the RAM pool is smaller when a game is running in the background. NeoGAF pages with a lot of images go into a refresh loop.

The Vita can run multiple multitasking apps in parallel (the 3DS can only run one at a time) and the RAM among those apps is managed in a similar way to a smartphone OS. But the RAM reserved for games is fixed and never shared with background apps or OS processes.

This may not necessarily be true. We know that all current gen (including 3DS) systems lock off some RAM specifically for OS functions. We don't know if this RAM will be available even in New 3DS exclusive games, or if the OS is going to hog it to guarantee good web browser performance even when a game is suspended (I wouldn't THINK they'd do this, but it IS a possibility that people should remember).

The New 3DS is most likely still using a 50/50 split, so 128MB for games and 128MB for the browser. It may not sound like much, but that's close to the RAM usage of most iOS games use running on 512MB devices. Also, the browser is still single-tabbed, right? 128MB should be enough for a single tab as long as you're not trying to use Google Spreadsheet.

Double the vRAM would indeed theoretically allow for higher quality textures.

At the very least, it should alleviate any performance bottleneck concerns for developers making content with the original 3DS specs in mind. I could see a scenario where developers don't ignore the old 3DS userbase, cuz that would be crazy, but performance is a bit more solid on the newer version.

Something which might be a given is that past 3ds games in 3d mode had reduced framerate/aa/resolution. With this newer handheld version this might not be an issue anymore.

But they have a permanently employed hardware development team, (or multiple teams) they need to design new products constantly or they'd have to get rid of them.
I don't think you and I are on the same page. It's entirely possible they could have the new hardware product designed, but without the software to back it up just about everything they could make would be a paperweight. That's why we probably won't see a handheld successor until holiday 2016. They're losing possible long time consumers to Apple on a month to month basis, so 2017 isn't an option either.
The Wii Balance Board came out the same year as the DSi.

You didn't just compare the board to a new hardware platform, right? The amount of software support a new handheld/console needs versus a Wii accessory is just astronomical in size and quality thanks to increases in resolution, fidelity and/or online features.

I don't think you and I are on the same page. It's entirely possible they could have the new hardware product designed, but without the software to back it up just about everything they could make would be a paperweight. That's why we probably won't see a handheld successor until holiday 2016. They're losing possible long time consumers to Apple on a month to month basis, so 2017 isn't an option either.

You didn't just compare the board to a new hardware platform, right? The amount of software support a new handheld/console needs versus a Wii accessory is just astronomical in size and quality thanks to increases in resolution, fidelity and/or online features.

Tell me what their QOL product is, and I'll tell you if it's a good comparison or not.

Also, the browser is still single-tabbed, right? 128MB should be enough for a single tab as long as you're not trying to use Google Spreadsheet.

Browsers also keep previously viewed webpages in memory so the back and forward buttons work instantaneously. It's not just tabs that suck up memory.

Cse

Banned
This is the definition of a new console.

- External overhaul to the design.
- Completely new, more powerful internal hardware.
- Exclusive games that can only be played on the new console.

Why not just call it the "Super 3DS" or something similar?

Magnus

Just need to know if the screen quality + resolution will improve. It's the one thing I get endlessly frustrated with when it comes to my 3DS and 3DSXL.

Cipherr

I dont get it. Are they launching this as the real 3ds succesor or a stopgap revision? Better screens?

Think DSi. Same thing but this one has slightly more upgrades because it adds buttons and little more power comparatively. But its going to share 99.9% of its library with the existing 3DS ecosystem.

since they're splitting the userbase with this new 3DS model, there's no reason why they can't also go ahead and increase screen resolution too.... (please, Nintendo?)

They would have to double the resolution for it to be worthwhile. Otherwise 3DS games would look like complete shit.

WillyFive

It's not completely new though, it's just a stronger 3DS. It's not a whole new console, not anymore than a DSi was.

Depends on what you consider vast. Keeping fidelity in any way close to Xenoblade Wii would actually be a pretty big accomplishment for the platform. Even though it's running at a lower res. But the creation of vast worlds was never an issue with PS2 caliber hardware. It was making it all pretty that was the challenge.

FoneBone

Upgraded hardware does not = "completely new", and with only one exclusive game announced so far, the jury's still out on what kind of support it'll get.

LeleSocho

Banned

There's no "completely new" hardware in the new 3ds

---

I wonder if people are playing dumb or are they actually this stupid when they say that the new 3ds is a *new console*

The 3DS reserves 64MB for OS/multitasking and 64MB for games. iOS devices are like PCs and reserve nothing. At most it will kill background apps if the app in the foreground needs more RAM, but the RAM used by the OS itself cannot be claimed by apps.

For example, when Apple released iOS 5 a bunch of games started crashing on the first iPad due to it leaving less RAM available for apps compared to iOS 4.

The Vita can run multiple multitasking apps in parallel (the 3DS can only run one at a time) and the RAM among those apps is managed in a similar way to a smartphone OS. But the RAM reserved for games is fixed and never shared with background apps or OS processes.

The New 3DS is most likely still using a 50/50 split, so 128MB for games and 128MB for the browser. It may not sound like much, but that's close to the RAM usage of most iOS games use running on 512MB devices. Also, the browser is still single-tabbed, right? 128MB should be enough for a single tab as long as you're not trying to use Google Spreadsheet.

Actually, the 3DS used 96MB for games and 32MB for the OS, I'm pretty sure.

Neff

So this is a stop gap or is it a brand new handheld? They seem to be pussy footing around this issue.

It's the 3DS' Gameboy Color.

Judging by the XB footage, it doesn't seem to offer a huge boost in power, but it should be enough to get some decent mileage out of 3DS if the New software is worth the New hardware.

Like Color's was.

Trago

This thing's not a generational leap, it's a revision and it's still in the 3DS line of devices.

Branduil

I really doubt we'll see a significant amount of exclusive software for the New 3DS. Probably a lot more "enhanced" games, though.

There's no "completely new" hardware in the new 3ds

---

I wonder if people are playing dumb or are they actually this stupid when they say that the new 3ds is a *new console*

It's very much a way to try and profit off of a core hardware design. Honestly needed. 3DS is not setting sales records and they're probably hoping a sizable chunk of buyers will buy in again. To pad out what is going to be their worst selling handheld hardware ever.

Actually, the 3DS used 96MB for games and 32MB for the OS, I'm pretty sure.

That sounds a little more likely considering that it seemed like the browser couldn't even keep a single page in memory. It looked like it was thrashing even when you scrolled to a different part of a moderately complex page.

Espada

What effect, if any, will this have on preexisting 3DS games? Will they run at a higher framerate? Will they be more stable? Or are the benefits of these hardware upgrades be limited to exclusive titles developed specifically with the new 3DS in mind?

Prisoner

Overhaul? Completely new? It's virtually identical to the previous model.

M3d10n

Browsers also keep previously viewed webpages in memory so the back and forward buttons work instantaneously. It's not just tabs that suck up memory.

The 3DS one doesn't. Not sure about the New 3DS. My Java phone browser (lol) does this and it has 128MBs of RAM.

I'm kinda excited about this. It's fully backwards compatible, and probably the same price. No reason it shouldn't be updated every few years.

Cse

Banned
Overhaul? Completely new? It's virtually identical to the previous model.

CPU cores are either clocked faster, or it's employing new ARM cores. It apparently has double the system memory and double the VRAM. It has new buttons and a realigned structure. It already has one exclusive game that can't be played on previous systems.

"Virtually identical" is quite inaccurate.

FoneBone

I really doubt we'll see a significant amount of exclusive software for the New 3DS. Probably a lot more "enhanced" games, though.

Yep, more like DSi (not counting DSiware*) than GBC (where exclusive games fairly quickly all but replaced backwards-compatible ones).

*Someone will say that this is a big caveat, but I disagree. DS had no alternative service, and unlike the DSi-3DS transition, the New 3DS's improved horsepower doesn't seem like a big enough upgrade to allow for major changes in the sorts of games devs can realize. I therefore don't think there will be many New 3DS-exclusive eShop games.

I just don't get it. If there are going to be a ton of games that require the new version, why not just go all out and put out the true successor to the 3DS. If there aren't going to be a bunch of game that take advantage of it, what's the point? This whole thing just seems weird to me. I am intrigued to see what comes of it, at least.

I've long maintained that the Streetpass puzzles - were slated to become 3DS releases. With Smash 3DS coming to fruition and now Xenoblade Chronicles, I'm expecting a Pikmin, Metroid and Skyword Sword 3DS iteration...

This reiterated 3DS may make those into legit eventualities.

Top Bottom