• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: New Overwatch hero unveiling on Monday, likely Sombra (support sniper) [Nope]

Ardvent

I was hoping this would be the next hero

overwatch_3.0.jpg

Inspired by the Sombra rumor I frame capped the heroes Winton recalls in his video. There's no one I recognized, but a lot of awesome looking concepts / art.

Imgur Album

ivZTwaL.png

Speaking of Mei's Ice Wall, it would be fun if you could kill enemies with it in closed spaces with a low ceiling. Like... squishing them, you know?

Stop, I'd like to play characters other than Symmetra. Buff her and I will have no reason to :p

I'm pretty sure I've seen it done

maouvin

Speaking of Mei's Ice Wall, it would be fun if you could kill enemies with it in closed spaces with a low ceiling. Like... squishing them, you know?

People discussed this on the Beta thread today. Looks like it works, instakill and all, but most of the time it'll just pop people to either the front or back of the wall.

Dr. Buni

I'm pretty sure I've seen it done
People discussed this on the Beta thread today. Looks like it works, instakill and all, but most of the time it'll just pop people to either the front or back of the wall.
As I said above, I never saw it happen. Pretty cool if true, even if extremely situational.
Do you live in the future? Can I join you?
I will send you my time machine device, it will probably arrive on the 24th at ur home :)

Edit: lol, so many quotes
Yo hook me up with the URLEY fam.
lol

I'd be ok with something like DB's Phantom. Somewhat visible while moving, can be heard when close, no instakills backstab, not squishy like the Spy.
Having a sapping mechanic could be cool, too.

I might be. But honestly, I hope they don't. Even in DB phantom is back and forth between OP and too weak. And phantom is a big reason DB lost momentum in building a larger community very early on, so hopefully blizzard doesn't make the same mistake.

Dr. Buni

Knowing Blizzard, she'll probably do finger snaps and say shit like: "Oh no you didn't!", "Giiiiiiirl!"

��
She wouldn't be the first black character in the game (some people don't agree on who is or who isn't black, but still), so I don't get this fear. Blizzard also didn't make Lúcio a walking black Brazilian stereotype, so I gotta give them credits when it comes to the Overwatch roster.

Keasar

Two new supports are really needed. The selection of support characters is thin as of now.

She wouldn't be the first black character in the game (some people don't agree on who is or who isn't black, but still), so I don't get this fear. Blizzard also didn't make Lúcio a walking black Brazilian stereotype, so I gotta give them credits when it comes to the Overwatch roster.
Sad though that they didn't make Torbjörn stereotype enough (or at all, he is barely Swedish is any way than name).

Dr. Buni

Two new supports are really needed. The selection of support characters is thin as of now.

Sad though that they didn't make Torbjörn stereotype enough (or at all, he is barely Swedish is any way than name).
I agree, lack of supports is a problem in HotS, so it is nice they are adding (or at least, revealing) a new one this soon for Overwatch.

Also, what are some common Swedish stereotypes?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I hope Torbjorn gets a "comic" that's just an Ikea-style assembly guide for the turret.

Dr. Buni

As someone who isn't Swedish (as you might have noticed), I am disappointed Torbjorn is fairly different from what I saw in that video. But as someone who comes from a country whose people are very often stereotyped, specially in video games, the less stereotypes in this game, the better to me.
New Soldier 76 short confirmed for May 22 at 10:00 a.m. PT

Ci2XAPDU4AAWVj5.jpg

Hopefully the new hero is featured there
Hype.

Odrion

Banned
Yeah, Symmetra is barely a support and more of a Defense hero so really your choices are down to three.

Let's hope that Sombra is more of a support than she is a defense sniper.

Keasar

As someone who isn't Swedish (as you might have noticed), I am disappointed Torbjorn is fairly different from what I saw in that video. But as someone who comes from a country whose people are very often stereotyped, specially in video games, the less stereotypes in this game, the better to me.

That is fair and understandable, we Swedes usually love making fun of ourselves. We are fully aware that our culture looking from the outside is very silly and like to bring that up.

We either don't really care if others make fun of or stereotype us because we are busy with other stuff, or we do it ourselves when nobody else is. :p
The man at 1:45 was the active Swedish Prime Minister, Fredrik Reinfeldt, when this was released.

TDLink

The concept sounds interesting I guess. A new character right before release though, dang.

She will probably not be released before the release, only announced.

Even if she is, again, how is this bad? Blizzard never promised the beta tests would include all launch content. The game has literally not released yet. Even if she "comes out" on the day of release, that still makes her launch/base game content.

Dr. Buni

That is fair and understandable, we Swedes usually love making fun of ourselves. We are fully aware that our culture looking from the outside is very silly and like to bring that up.

We either don't really care if others make fun of or stereotype us because we are busy with other stuff, or we do it ourselves when nobody else is. :p
The man at 1:45 was the active Swedish Prime Minister, Fredrik Reinfeldt, when this was released.
Ah, that is very nice. There are some stereotypes of my culture that we make fun, too, but some are quite... mean spirited.
Even if she is, again, how is this bad? Blizzard never promised the beta tests would include all launch content. The game has literally not released yet. Even if she "comes out" on the day of release, that still makes her launch/base game content.
It is not a bad thing at all, considering the new hero will be "free". And a new hero on release helps making things fresh for those who are playing for quite some time.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)

I don't think it's bad, maybe just unorthodox, and I expect a lot of matches would be like 4 or 5 people playing Sombra for the first couple of days. I wasn't speaking on content adding or whatever.

TDLink

I don't think it's bad, maybe just unorthodox, and I expect a lot of matches would be like 4 or 5 people playing Sombra for the first couple of days. I wasn't speaking on content adding or whatever.

Kinda doubt that would happen because...

• Games are fast so people who have been playing and want to try her ASAP will get it out of their system in the first couple hours
  • Not everyone who gets the game day 1 will have played the beta
  • Some people already have favorites and aren't interested in trying more characters (which is bad, but it happens)
  • Supports are unpopular to play in general
  • Snipers are usually higher skill so if we assume she is as well that will further turn people off

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Btw some of the characters we havent seen are just skins. Soldier 76 has a skin withnhis face showing which shows up in a old character splash screen and I thoughy it was a unused character

TP

Really curious about what kind of kit a support sniper would have
a skill that blocks ultimates for a short period seems fitting

213372bu

Banned
Seeing how they are going to balance a Support Sniper as a Support class is going to be interesting.

Widowmaker is pretty barebones as is, not sure how to make a sniper that is full support with sniper capabilities.

TDLink

Really curious about what kind of kit a support sniper would have
a skill that blocks ultimates for a short period seems fitting

Seeing how they are going to balance a Support Sniper as a Support class is going to be interesting.

Widowmaker is pretty barebones as is, not sure how to make a sniper that is full support with sniper capabilities.

I'm guessing her shots and abilities won't deal direct damage. Either some sort of debuff/DoT or she has to snipe her allies to heal/buff them. Then probably a secondary short range weapon that hurts.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Will lose my shit if it's Sombra. Would love to hear the dialogue between her and Pharah, as well as S76 and Reaper.

213372bu

Banned
I'm guessing her shots and abilities won't deal direct damage. Either some sort of debuff/DoT or she has to snipe her allies to heal/buff them. Then probably a secondary short range weapon that hurts.

That's actually a really interesting role if something like that happened.

Dr. Buni

She should have either her M1 or M2 do damage, though not as much as Widow's, of course.

Rad-

If we think about which heroes need more counters then the first one to come to mind is McCree. And how to counter him = negating his crazy burst damage. So maybe she makes the enemy unable to do damage for the next few seconds? Or makes an ally invincible for a short time. Both would help against McCrees of the world. Widowmaker also I guess.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
She should silence people. They will only be able to use their M1s.

Top Bottom